Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@ster, I suggest you read the articles linked, I claim no knowledge in this area, save for an ability to use Google! Smile

I remember from school - and university - an endless stream of broken rugby and football players. Why people encourage their children to be involved in these sports I have no idea.

@pam w, now you're talking. But at least horse injuries are self-inflicted and not caused by somebody on the opposite side. https://horseaddict.net/2017/05/04/100-deaths-per-year/

10/1000 hours for leisure riding
200/1000 hours for amateur racing over jumps
1000/1000 hours for cross country eventing

Annual deaths in the USA from riding, 100. Annual deaths in the UK from MDMA/Ecstasy (are they the same thing?) 67. https://www.statista.com/statistics/470824/drug-poisoning-deaths-mdma-ecstasy-in-england-and-wales/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I was over in Eastern (post '89) Germany for an operation the nurses there had an expression...Sport ist Mord! S'funny but they didn't class my broken bone due to motorbike accident as sport, until I told them it happened at a race track!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Purely anecdotal but...

I've skied from beginner to red/black run level with some dabbles in off piste over (checks notes) 169 days. Call it 5 hours a day on the slopes so 845 hours.

In all that time (hope i dont jinx myself here) I've damaged my thumb ligaments once (skiers thumb) and apart from that a couple of minor bruises.

845 hours is the equivalent of 563 games or so of rugby or football.

I played rugby from 6 to 19 regularly but the real injuries only began at 11 (cracked rib after being smashed by a questionably u11 opponent). From 11-19 I probably played 300ish games of rugby max (both school 1st team and club - premiership academy)

Rugby injuries (and i've probably forgotten some): Fractured cheekbone/sinus, knee ligament (requiring surgery), broken finger, fractured rib, stitches in head, concussion at least a couple more times. I got off lightly though. Was on the pitch when someone got paralysed for life at 18. Not pleasant.

After getting bored of being smashed playing rugby and realising i just wasn't big enough I then played relatively decent amateur football from 23 to 33ish. Maybe 250ish games.

Still not without incident - surgery on broken metacarpal (yes i broke my hand playing football falling awkwardly on a hard pitch Embarassed ) and some more stitches in my head but mainly muscle tears (hamstrings) as i got older. I did witness the odd arm/leg break but thankfully not involving me.

So over roughly equivalent amounts of time playing rugby+football and skiing I know which I think is more dangerous. And I've definelty done more of my skiing after a drink or two compared to rugby/football. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w - "deliberately inflicted" - you mean over egg'ed opposition sliding double footed tackles type thing or do you mean people rolling around claiming injuries. Yes I can believe it re horse riding v Ecstasy - although I know which personally id prefer doing - haha! Maybe im reckless for tackling such a dangerous sport.

ster - whatever they define per article it'll never tell the whole story I doubt.

Kenzie - wow now you're asking... obv not a marked 'run' but id say its about 10km and a vertical of some 1500m. I actually in my mind equate it (if you could do it) to skiing (via gravity only) from top of Val glacier to La Daille... first third of distance is a generally mellow descent on green / blue and perhaps red type gradient and then you get to 'fornet' and from then on its a push / mellow straight line along a valley bottom type thing as if you were skiing the Fornet > La Daille road type thing.

PeakyB - well dont know categorically BUT what I would say is that given the fact that even in relatively minor cases you may well need a blood wagon off the mountain and thus it will go down officially on the stats (skiing stats for injuries must be amongst some of the easiest to record given the fact the pisteurs will be involved and / or insurance claims I guess) whereas if you hurt yourself playing footy lets say then if you needed medical attention you might go there by your own steam and thus it might not be recorded or potentially many more minor injuries might not be recorded e.g. damaged ligaments like a twisted knee might not get recorded but instead a few days later rock up at your GP. I guess what I might be saying is that potentially the disparity in injury rates might be even more than even the claimed figures show.

Its worth noting that I have at times have had to tell students (generally of a nervous disposition) that the blood wagons they see on the mountains ARE NOT dead bodies being taken off the hill!!!! Also that often even relatively minor injuries that wouldnt even require a trip to the GP let along A&E in the real world are sometimes taken off in a blood wagon. Many years ago had someone someone fall and bang there knee area... they then felt 'liquid'... being worried that it was bleeding and with the pisteurs on site thinking potentially the same thing - the knee was wrapped up quickly and person taken down.... turned out he had forgotten he had a juice cartoon he had forgotten to give his kid earlier in the am in his pocket and it was that that had burst and oozed down inside his trouser leg and being quite sticky had felt like blood and the knee - well it was a bruise... however it was not a million miles off being a heli job at one point!!!!!!!!!!

Anecdotally in all my years doing this job, day in day out etc I can count on one hand the number of injuries a student of mine has received... I probably call the pisteurs for an incident I come across once a season on average (on their request of course) but me assessing my 'charge' as needing help... probably half a dozen times over the years. Within our 12 instructors within our ski school id say usually 2 or 3 times a season it happens. Ive had more people with self inflicted things - being sick off chairlifts as hungover etc than incidents related to the action of skiing. One time called someone who fainted - she hadn't had breakfast. Someone I thought was having a heart attack years ago and was about to call the pisteurs when they claimed they were feeling better and went home.... etc. For those who have skied with me i might have told them the story of the accident I came across on a bad weather day off piste that required a trash-e-otomy (sp?) - that was BY FAR - by MILES AND MILES AND MILES a one off.

Ultimately I often look at how risk adverse etc the people who deal with this stuff the most.... the pisteurs are. Lot of respect for those boys and girls and they casually watch the skiing world slide past (most of the time!).

James the Last - blimey 1 injury per hour from eventing stuff... imagine if skiing was that dangerous - we'd have EVERY person in hospital at some point during their weeks holiday!

gixxerniknik - back on that vein of stats, lies and damn lies when it comes to these things I guess!

Dk7 - fair enough - thats a good one. Im sure there are plenty of people who are luckier (is it luck or not I wonder to an extent?) and those who are not so lucky!

I personally know there are PLENTY of people who come for beginner skiing lessons with as much body armour on as possible as they assume its the most dangerous sport since gladiatorial battles 2000 years ago! Others are mentally geared for it being a hideously painful process and or nervous disposition convinced that the cliff 500m away could be somewhere they will fall off despite the fact they are moving at about 0.00001mph towards it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What a lovely morning

It was a couple of degrees cooler this morning which made a difference to the norm... however the biggest thing this morning was that the kids got up really early for some reason and even managed to get their own breakfast ready... amazing! We were thus well ahead of schedule time wise! Haha.

The sun was shining again but there was a little breeze today! Conditions on the slopes were really nice though.

At the meet point I recorded my weekly snow report for TDC and then I met my am lady... a really lovely lady from London. She was a solid skier but had lost the bottle a little and her love for the sport. So we headed up Solaise and 'reset those foundations' and got the smile back on her face. It was a really fun morning and we had quite a laugh. I think she was surprised how much of her love she got back. As lessons go it all just worked perfectly today and personally I found it one of my best sessions in terms of outcomes wise it could have been. Happy chappy.

I headed home after lunch and caught up on a few jobs / did some batch cooking and generally caught my breath. Tomorrow Clare start a multi day all day booking with some Arabs that are staying at one of the posh hotels in town... so I will be on kid duty. I think Olivia will go to Club by herself and I will take Ben for a ski before I collect Olivia and we all go for lunch all together - well that is the plan anyway! We shall see.

TTFN

P.S. Watched the Womens WC Semi Final of the T20 Cricket today - what a shame for England but England Men seem to be fighting back VERY well after a shaky start in NZ

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

As lessons go it all just worked perfectly today and personally I found it one of my best sessions in terms of outcomes wise it could have been. Happy chappy.

The people who get you as an instructor are really fortunate, @Steve Angus. You are a born teacher. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

As lessons go it all just worked perfectly today and personally I found it one of my best sessions in terms of outcomes wise it could have been. Happy chappy.

The people who get you as an instructor are really fortunate, @Steve Angus. You are a born teacher. snowHead

Blushing - thanks so much
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Outskied by my 5 yr old

Im blooming shattered this evening.

It all started with morning cuddles far too early from Ben but things could be worse eh.

Clare headed out the door to a new week of bookings so I was on kid duty. Olivia headed off by herself to club and I got Ben dressed and with the sun shining (well there was a veil but nothing more for most of the day!) and the temps slightly lower than the last few days we were off.

Boy WHAT A ski.... even though he is my son I can honestly say he pretty much outskied me all morning...

- From top Funi... down Verte and through the petit cross, then down croc alley (the gulley below Marmottes lift to base of Mont Blanc Chair) as we instructors for some reason call it.
- Tommeuses and then down Piste Henri.
- Up the Tignes Funi (bless him when those door opened he made sure his little legs carried him as fast as they can to be in prime position to see through the glass as the driver run the funi) and then down Double M back to VC
- From top of Tuffs we did a lap through the park - he did the M line.
- From top Marmottes we did the Face - he had one little slip on the Wall but hey ho all good.

We then collected Olivia from club (she had had a really good am doing SL training and with her new shin guards - sounds like she was nailing it!). We grabbed a choc bar and drink on the go from Sun Bar before heading back up the Olympic all together.

- then it was Petit Cross and Croc Alley again
- Tommeuses and ski down Johan Clarey piste...

Lunch was the three of us at Loop and ive never seen 2 kids (and me for that matter) so hungry! Demolishing enough chicken nuggets, chips and onion rings to fill us all up before heading back via the snow park (M line again!) and croc alley for a final time before skiing home via the forest around the Lost Village.

Blimey what a ski... and when Olivia joined us the performance all round was even more elevated. He is going to be a pretty full on skier... Olivia is also showing him the way at the moment.

After skiing we headed home and the kids watched some TV and chilled although Ben got his 2nd, 3rd and 4th wind later on amazingly.

We have a couple of friends staying on our sofa tonight and they have just popped out for dinner so that coupled with being tired tonight means its a short one tonight.

With Clare working again tomorrow it'll be a full day out of ski boots so I think ill take the kids swimming.

TTFN

We must have done about 100000000000 jumps today.... every lump, bump, lip, ridge, snow covered rock etc was a jump.... think I actually flew to Tignes and back!!!!

Daddy can we just get going now and stop taking photos please!

Ill look back and treasure photos like this I know! Love him!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Such lovely pics, they have put a big smile on my face - seeing you and Ben, and especially that one of Ben! I'm exhausted reading about the schedule that you and Clare keep up, but to have days like this, as you say, they are priceless snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're telling us skiing is pretty safe, you're pushing at an open door here Very Happy

That sounds like an amazing day skiing....getting down with the kids!

I kind of skied with my 'all grown up now' son recently, after a 6 year break. Except that after ops and health issues, I can't keep up any more Laughing Really enjoyed the few hours we did together though and hope to repeat, hopefully when I'm much fitter, next year.

According to one of those ski apps, him and friends did a 7.75 hour stint, with a total of 98.5 kms distance travelled one day. That would tire me out if I was driving.
Of course, I queried why they didn't do an extra short lap to take it past the ton Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Love the kid ski photos.and vid.
Steve, son 2 and GF are doing a season with Le Ski in VdI, she's on her 2nd season. Their season and those around them have been plagued by bugs, you know the ones... Cold, Flu, chest infections, even stomach bugs, infinitely worse than last year.
Have you heard much like this?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steve Angus, fabulous!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wonderful. Every bump is a jump.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
motyl - thanks. Yes indeed.
PeakyB - yes getting down with them... well being dragged around by them really! Yes the good thing about skiing is its a sport for life... you can do it young, old, on your own or with friends in a group or just a few of you; taking your time or rushing around, doing it when the weather is good, bad or indifferent. You can compete or chill out, get away from the crowds or join em. There aren't many sports that compare. So yea hope you can get a few hours with him next year. And they ONLY did 98.5kms in a day - part-timers eh! Haha
Frosty the Snowman - yes folks there are some vids etc on Instagram (@SteveAngusSnow) of the skiing. Yea thanks special pics! The bugs - well its just one of those years obviously... we get periods of bad bugs and there's once around at the moment for sure. To be honest its usual at some point during the season and last year (apart from COVID years) seems to have been an exception to the rule. Normally we get periods of it as this year.
Hurtle - thanks
AndrewBailey - it certainly seemed that way yesterday for sure!
ski holidays
When days off aren't days off

Not that I was really expecting today to be a chilled day it sort of in some ways was.

The kids woke up very early but didnt come and pester us and instead ended up building a den in Bens room... well every blanket, duvet, pillow, toy and prop was used in the building of it... at least they were quiet and didnt wake anyone up (amazingly).

Anyway our guests were pretty chilled as the weather (whilst not bad) didnt look too inviting out there so with the kids having Sunday am special breakie (and then me) and then the guest having cups of tea with me, Clare headed out to work. She ended up having quite a day as the guests had booked the Panoramique restaurant in Tignes and that was at 1430 and they were still there at 1630 (yes I know).... so the hotel chauffeur was sent around to collect them from the bottom of the funi in Tignes in Val Claret at 1700!!! Clare didnt end up getting home till nearly 1800 which didnt please her too much!

So finally with our friends out skiing and breakfast all tidied away I got some jobs done, the kids watched some tv, did some homework and I got jobs done like a wash / change of bed sheet / prep for dinner etc. It was a pretty chilled am.

We watched the ski racing from Crans Montana and enjoyed a nice lunch.

The afternoon was a trip to the pool and we ended up spending 2 hours there - it was nice just being able to have some fun in the pool altogether and some exercise too.

With everyone back home and after our guests left (they live in Geneva so it was only a weekend ski for them anyway!) we had a family meal of my making, Fajitas and then got the kids into bed. And thats about it for today before a new week starts tomorrow.

The weather today meanwhile has been interesting with a strong breeze, light (very light) snowfall all day and pretty thick clouds but no real accumulations (yet) and a drop in temps. I dont think its going to be a game changer but we shall see.

Oh and I forgot to snap a photo today so this is Radio Val's.

TTFN

snow report
Colder

Got my morning snuggle in bed from Ben again this morning but otherwise it was all systems go as normal getting the kids out the door... and it was a chilly morning at that. There was a chilly breeze blowing and the clouds didnt really know whether to move in or out (twas to be the story of the day actually!).

Anyway I decided to go back up to mid (but not the depths of) Winter layers so thats 2 more than this time last week and took a third just in case (boy I was glad I took that third one as put it on in the end!.

I took the kids to the school bus which I haven't done for a while so it meant I was a little behind the curve time wise but non the less got to the meet point in time.

My am lot were a young couple from Glasgow and were on their first ski holiday but had done the sensible thing and headed to artificial slopes back home and got up to speed relatively before their holiday! It didnt feel too busy up there to be honest (well not too bad bearing in mind its school hols) but it was chilly. As the clients had been a little late we were sort of joining the back of the line to get up the hill but it wasnt too bad in the end!

Anyway after walking down the steps at the top, crossing over above the Bellevarde Restaurant and then down Collette we managed to get in several laps of Grand Pre. It was most definitely a cast of trying to build up her confidence and tweak his technique which I think we successfully I managed to do. Having spent time getting this dialled in I didnt want to push it too much and especially since today was the last day of their holiday. So ultimately we lapped Grand Pre all morning really building it all up. On request he asked to do some backwards skiing and then some flatland 360 spinning which was a fun way to finish the lesson up.

I got a phone call late in the morning from a friend who is the administrator of another school saying that her school was fully booked this afternoon but she had a client in need of another instructor for this afternoon and could I help. Well ultimately yes but there was a little waiting around until it all got sorted out. We didnt end up starting until 1400 which was a little later than planned and due to various reasons we could only go on for about 90mins. So it was a strange session with a father / son team from Belgium... I think they had assumed I would be teaching in French but all the communication about the lesson had been in English.... so it was a rather strange session all in all. The Dad did the translating for the teen son but it worked fine in the end.

I had a mega rush about after skiing changing and getting into my civvies clothes and getting the laundry out before heading up to school to get Ben and his buddy Tom and get them to the swimming pool. What a rush, rush hour that was. My time at the pool was hardly relaxing answering a couple of calls and emails before getting the boys home again.

It was quite late before the kids were in bed and the last few rush about hours have totally whacked me out thats for sure.

The weather tomorrow should be sunny and better than today... with a drop off in the breeze and the sun coming out it will feel much warmer than today I think.

TTFN

snow conditions
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

My am lot were a young couple from Glasgow and were on their first ski holiday but had done the sensible thing and headed to artificial slopes back home and got up to speed relatively before their holiday!

Sounds impressive for first timers. Highlights the benefits, often recommended to beginners on snowHeads, of putting some time in first at a snowshed or on a dry slope at home (even though cost per km skied is very high)?
snow report
PeakyB - TOTALLY agree. I cut my teeth before I taught and then after I got my equivalent of my Level 1 on dry slopes and probably until I was about 16/17/18 MOST of my skiing hours were done on dry slopes. Then in my early 20's got the hours on snow up and onwards. But HIHGLY commend dry and indoor slopes as a stepping stone for sure. In fact used properly (even though I say so myself when I was running some of the instructor training at Hemel some 10 years back and more in its early days) I think even for avid skiers and boarders artificial slopes have their place. People often think they need millions of km's of slopes and 'why use one run indoor' etc.... well its a means to an end at the end of the day. Yes good luck to the couple!
ski holidays
Some really good discussion of this on the last Ski Instructor Podcast on focus when learning.

Dry or indoor artificial snow slopes can be a real asset if you go into them with focus about exactly what you want to achieve. Short slopes do have their limits but it also means that downtime between runs is at a minimum. Some times when you do have the kms and kms of slopes people just ski aimlessly. Having not a lot to play with in terms of runs focuses the mind! Use those slopes for specific drills and technique and it will pay off massively when you reach the mountains.

Even in Tignes/Val I love the Stade Red run beside the Borsat lift. It is never busy, snow usually great and you can very quickly do laps on the button. Love it when working on specific issues, of which I know I still have many.
snow conditions
NoMapNoCompass - thanks for that... haven't seen that Podcast episode - will try and tune in sometime. Thanks. Yes totally re the Stade Bonnvie by Borsat - I use for teaching quite often for all the reasons you mention!

Olympic tickets

Ben came in for his ritual snuggle this morning - rather enjoy it really... but after feeling totally knackered last night I probably should have told him I needed more sleep but hey ho.

The kids were off and out to school with relative ease this am thankfully and I got myself sorted out and headed to the meet point. Even though the sun was shining and would feel warmer than yesterday the breeze was still there.

My team for this am was a recently retired father and his late twenties (in age) daughter. It was very relaxed and casual session with lots of mileage and we worked on a fair few things. As if often the case it was a general carbon copy of previous lessons so I definately taught a very similar lesson a couple of days ago.

Anyway it was a great session so I was pretty happy all round. Yay.

At lunchtime I needed to get home as had a pile of jobs to do BUT the main event of the afternoon was to apply for Paris 2024 Summer Olympic tickets. In a nutshell the way Paris2024 are doing tickets is they have done a ballot which I was successful in. This ballot allows you a 48 hour time slot to log in to a special website and purchase tickets for 3 x events (no more / no less). You have to have the same number of tickets for all events... but crucially when you log in you are guaranteed the tickets as the availability is real time if that makes sense. There will be another round of tickets go on sale later in the year and crucially including all the really popular events e.g. Athletics sessions including 100m finals etc. There will be single tickets for sale during this time. Anyway I guess they are doing it this way to try and shift quantity and also the lesser in demand sessions. I should say that there are still hundreds and hundreds of sessions across almost all the events so its not too bad!

So anyway the window opened about 2 weeks ago and closes in 2 weeks time and my golden 48 hours rolled around at 1500 today. So with a vague idea of some of the events / dates / budget in mind I logged in. I was NOT expecting it to either (bearing in mind its real time availability and probably thousands of people live online at the same time!) be as hectic seeing the ticket availability changing in the blink of an eye NOR as sold out as it was. Of the 40 odd sports and the countless sessions only about 10 sports were showing with any availability at all. Of those 10 most either were things that really did not interest me / us as a family OR not in Paris where we want to go (e.g. the sailing on the coast were not interested in going to!) OR the price category for the tickets left were way too high... not prepared to go for the 'A' category tickets for say €800 each for an athletics session im afraid. With the availability bouncing about and in reality very little options for what might work for us AND the fact you HAD to buy tickets to 3 different sessions it was limited!

Luckily I managed to persuade myself to go to a slightly higher priced category for the Womens Trampolining - the session will include medals being awarded there and then which will be cool. So anyway I got 4 tickets for that on the 2/8 next Summer - kids were very happy when we told them! The dilemma of what for the 2nd and 3rd session was solved by a ticket to the 1/4 final of the womens footy again in Paris on the 3/8 and then a 'throw away' ticket for a random group stage mens footy match in Lyon the weekend before. It will mean we can make the trip to Paris for a weekend.

So that was 90 mins of hell on line but all paid up and booked now. Bring it on... should be great going to the Games and the kids will hopefully remember that for the rest of their lives!

This evening I was in town collecting the kids from Judo club (that was a sport that was totally sold out for all categories unfortunately) and there was a torch lite descent down here in La Daille by the ESF with fireworks etc that we watched from our balcony.

Back to a full days teaching tomorrow.

TTFN

Chilly but at least the sun was shining today!

The pisteurs were practicing their rope work behind their hut at the top of Bellevarde this morning!
latest report
Snowing

The weather today has been interesting... one moment breezy and cold, next sunny and warm(er) and a few flakes threatening with clouds building but this evening it has finally decided to actually snow... not sure it will last long but its snowing at least!

Ben didnt come in for his morning cuddle this morning (sadly) but nevertheless it was easy enough sorting the kids out.... I took them to kids club this morning and then headed to the meet point.

As previously said it was a little chilly first up but at least the sun was shining (to start with at least). My session was with a young lady just out of school from the Netherlands. She is here with her two older brothers in their twenties and various partners etc but also with her parents and also her younger brother and sister. She has skied a reasonable amount before but it sounded like (her English was excellent) love for the sport unlike her siblings had never been found and she was somewhat nervous of being pushed too hard. So with some runs on the Madeleine under our belts and the Glacier and finally off the Datcha we really built her up. Her abilities were pretty solid to be honest and given her age I was able to give her pretty tricky drills and she nailed them.

We kept on bumping into everyone else in her family all over the place and they acted as her cheerleaders support team - embarrassed her somewhat. But it was a fun session.

I took lunch in the normal place before meeting for the pm session which was actually a long term seasonnaire and her sister. She (the seasonnaire) is normally a boarder but getting their little girl skiing for the first time next year she decided she should probably learn to ski. So often when you have someone who is used to doing the 'other' sport (ski / boarding (delete as appropriate) you have a head start when it comes to learning the other. It was that case this afternoon as N was flying pretty early on whilst her sister was slower going. But it didnt matter as they both enjoyed and was able to challenge her more. It was a really fun afternoon all in all and hopefully they will enjoy their continued learning down the line.

I got a rather strange shock when I was coming up the Solaise gondola with them this afternoon... could not really believe my eyes and im still in wonderment. There seemed to be 3 people walking UP the slope... NO they didnt appear to be beginners out their depth that took a wrong turn and were walking back up to get back to the gondola in order to download - this was more organised and they were prepared for it with skis slung to backpacks etc... and I think they had crampons on their feet too. Neither were they skinning up - they were just zig zagging and walking up the slope at the side. Now if they were trying to avoid buying a lift pass then chapeau to them but really - sounds very OTT to avoid that! See photo below out the gondola window.

In local news there was talk of the renewing of the sports centre contract on Radio Val this morning. Im not sure what the timeframe is but one of the potential operators of the centre was talking about some changes including possibly putting in an Esport and Laserquest centre downstairs in the building. All bids include redoing the upstairs and possibly putting in a proper kids play area etc BUT the most incredible suggestion is to put in a articifical ski carpet revolving slope thing!!!! Im not really sure it is a sensible suggestion but apparently thats what is potentially in the offering. Hmmmmm

So tomorrow I am out of ski boots as its food shopping day. Will get some admin done in the am and then off to Bourg in the pm.

TTFN

Sorry not a great photo but you can clearly see the people walking up!
latest report
Admin and food

It was a very casual start to the day as Clare had a day off (between 2 bookings) and I had to get an admin day in. Originally today would have been the day I was supposed to be taking (amongst other) welshflyer to Bonneval but we decided to can earlier in the week because of a number of factors.

Anyway when I looked out the window this morning not only was I surprised that down here in town there was a titchy bit of fresh snow about but that it was very cloudy and foggy up there. Also there was a very stiff breeze blowing - coming from the south and east.... yes the retour was on. In fact the retour had dumped over 20cm up the top of the Val glacier but with the stiff breeze still going it was quite a hardy soul heading that way first up. So all in all I was glad that I was not heading Bonneval way as it would probably have been a non starter in the conditions to be honest!

So with the kids on the school bus I caught up on some of my to do list, including writing some emails and the like. I got a reasonable amount done.

I then had the main event (joy oh joys) a trip to bourg including a naughty Mcd's for lunch then a trip to buy a new extractor fan light bulb from the hardware store and then the collecting part of the €400 clicking Clare had done from Super U... before finally going into the store to 'top up' the shop. There are plenty of things extra we forget when the clicking is done or things you can't get online OR things that are out of stock and we sometimes check might have arrived or have been missed etc. Besides the fruit and veg I usually try and get myself rather than asking the clickers and collectors to do as get to chose the nicer pieces etc. It was a few crazy and expensive hours as always... and then you need to get it up the hill and put it all away.... as you might be able to understand its pretty knackering so its been a flat out few hours and after spending €500 in total I really hope the stores and fridge / freezer are nicer filled up now! Haha.

Ive just done the usual with the kids and now I can say 'breathe and relax' - haha!

The weather did improve in terms of the clouds and visibility up there but I dont think the winds dropped off much. However the sprinkling of snow especially the fornet / solaise direction was welcome. Lets hope we get some more next week eh!

Back to work full time tomorrow!

TTFN

Down in the valley it felt more like Spring than Winter (well I suppose it is the start of Spring isnt it)

Obviously not Val (no idea where it is) but imagine if a line like this was down the middle of the Face - permanently - could spice things up somewhat - haha!

All from the so called shortage countries in Europe and no rationing in sight!!!!!
latest report
@Steve Angus, glad to see some of the snow I ordered has arrived. Just on my way over for a few days. Might see you around the slopes
ski holidays
Yesterday there was possibly 25cm of new snow up on the top of Le Fornet while of snow there was only a dusting at town level.

The amazing thing I saw yesterday was a small group of skiers off to the left of the Borsat Lift had built a ramp out of one of the big hollows and one of the skiers performed a perfect back sommersalt - hats off to him!
snow conditions
@Steve Angus,

Look forward to news of the difference a bit of new snow has made to the conditions underfoot Smile

Quote:

In local news there was talk of the renewing of the sports centre contract on Radio Val this morning. Im not sure what the timeframe is but one of the potential operators of the centre was talking about some changes including possibly putting in an Esport and Laserquest centre downstairs in the building. All bids include redoing the upstairs and possibly putting in a proper kids play area etc BUT the most incredible suggestion is to put in a articifical ski carpet revolving slope thing!!!! Im not really sure it is a sensible suggestion but apparently thats what is potentially in the offering. Hmmmmm

Been on the genepi have they?
ski holidays
sno trax wrote:
@Steve Angus, glad to see some of the snow I ordered has arrived. Just on my way over for a few days. Might see you around the slopes

Right on queue eh and yes good to see you briefly today... hope you enjoyed the conditions.
latest report
welshflyer wrote:
Yesterday there was possibly 25cm of new snow up on the top of Le Fornet while of snow there was only a dusting at town level.

The amazing thing I saw yesterday was a small group of skiers off to the left of the Borsat Lift had built a ramp out of one of the big hollows and one of the skiers performed a perfect back sommersalt - hats off to him!

Sounds like I missed a nice day on the mountain. Pretty cool to see eh (the flip!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeakyB wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Look forward to news of the difference a bit of new snow has made to the conditions underfoot Smile

Quote:

Been on the genepi have they?

It freshened the pistes up today but I spent most of my sliding time Bellevarde side today where it hadn't made a huge difference. And yes I think they need to look at sobering up with ideas like that eh!
snow report
Coming on weekend ski trip from.........

Ben gave me a long cuddle this am but im paying for it now as im shattered. Anyway I think we are starting to get to that stage of the season where everyone is beyond tired as the kids (well Olivia actually) was quite tough work this morning before school - arghhhh! Anyway I just about managed to get them onto the bus and myself sorted so I could get into town to start the days work.

So I made sure I got the weekly TDC snow report recorded in good time and before it got too busy at the meet point... nothing like a distraction over the shoulder when you're doing that. So all done and sent off to be uploaded... just realised upon watching it back (you can see them on Instagram by following me @SteveAngusSnow or on the @tdcski feed too) that I managed to mention the recent snowfall quite a few times - whoops!

Anyway my am session was with a guy of about my age who was a dentist and it was his first time skiing. He was over with a colleague of his. He had done 1 day many moons ago but effectively today was his first day. His friend was more experienced and with an instructor of his own we all set off. They had come for a long weekend flying in yesterday evening and are flying out Monday evening so thats 4 days here... now the INCREDIBLE thing is that they HADNT come from London or somewhere else 'local' for this long weekend.... not they had come from NEW YORK CITY - yes I know - for a long weekends skiing! They reckoned that coming here was easier and cheaper than flying to the rockies in their own country - can you believe it!!!! Wow.

It was a good session and he did very well getting on the big carpet - just a shame I can't teach him tomorrow but im on kid duty tomorrow so a colleague will do it instead.

I treated myself to Friday lunch out day and had a burger at the Sun Bar before meeting my pm session.

With the sun shining brightly and the temps much warmer than they were only a few days ago it was to be a moguls session this afternoon. It was really nice skiing with someone who could really ski and developing them.... we worked up Bellevarde initially tweaking a few things in his general short radius turns before looping the Tommesure moguls many times. Its not often (especially with the size they are at the moment) that I take people from the top of the big bumps up there but it was fine for this guy today. So plenty of work on his moguls and about 6 laps later we were both pretty tired but big improvements had certainly been made - bravo. I got to do some drills that I have not done for a while that really challenged him - awesome!

After all that I needed refreshments and luckily we had a planned TDC beer meet up at Blue Note so I headed there and caught up with most of the team that were present. It was nice couple of hours having a social with the team... yay!

So this evening I am really shattered and need to find some more inspiration in tomorrow update but im not teaching tomorrow so will need to think of something. haha

TTFN

Little plaque popped out in Vallonets this am as reported by a friend of a friend

snow report
The end of the school hols

For the first time in a long time not only wasnt I woken by my alarm but neither Ben coming in either.... yay! Although im not sure how good a sleep I really had as I think I got a dig in the ribs a few times from snoring - whoops!

The sun was shining and the kids were on form and Clare was in charge of Ben and getting him out the house for a ski this morning whilst I sorted Olivia out then got her to the meet point as she had a full day of slalom training on the Legattaz stade.

I got a couple of hours to do things like the laundry at home before getting lunch set up and then collecting Olivia after her mornings session. She was really buzzing as they had a fun into year race and she had gotten close to some of the best boys in the year above. Its difficult to know how close she really was but she says in the parallel race she was only a few metres away from beating Come (pronounced Comb) in the year group above. This boy has serious family pedigree in the racing department and won the junior race cup the other week by nearly 2 secs so im pretty blown away. Amazing!

Anyway the couple hours of lunch were pretty hectic but with the ladies downhill ski race on in the background it was an exciting lunchtime.

With everyone fed and watered I took Olivia back for the afternoon session then with the sun shining (the morning chill is long gone by mid morning and its pretty pleasant from lunchtime onwards) walked home. I think the weather this week could change and we could be in for a lot of snow this week... blimey! Lets hope it does come as it will kick start the home run into the last 8 weeks or so of the season! Whilst the pistes are holding up well and the off piste especially towards the Fornet is in good condition a freshen up is really needed.

After a bit of play time with Ben, Clare has headed into town with him as there is a mini social tea and cake type things after ski club for Olivias lot this pm so she is on duty for that.

Tomorrow morning I might be teaching as I am not sure if my lesson has come in or not but either way I doubt ill get booked in the afternoon so it might end up being a day off or it might not be. I think I will probably end up taking the kids swimming at some point - we shall see how the day pans out.

Of course the school hols ended today so it should get a little quieter next week which will be very welcome indeed. However looking at the traffic forecast I dont think it'll be anymore than about 15% quieter than last week.

TTFN

Kids and parents at the usual spot as the am session for club starts....

Olivia far left as we look getting one more lap in on Legattaz stade!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, tourist office contact told a pal that 95% Val beds booked through March. Might be a slight exagération, bit still…
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
@Steve Angus, tourist office contact told a pal that 95% Val beds booked through March. Might be a slight exagération, bit still…

I suppose including the Easter hols start I suppose that could be vaguely possible but 95% seems a little high. The other point is that what 'counts' as beds booked generally relates to hotels and bonafide TO beds and not the countless 'adhoc' TO's and unregistered apartment rentals etc that all in all probably makes up a fair few %.
snow report
@Dr John,
If a couple take a four bed apartment, that counts as 100% occupied, even though only half beds used. Same for groups taking chalets, but not using all the beds.
To be honest I wouldn't expect 95% of available beds to be used even at Xmas, New Year & half term.
latest report
Splits

Well ahead of this storm of the century that might be coming our way later in the week (hmmm will wait to see if it materialises or not!) - the sun continues to shine and brightly at that. The temps are cold at night holding up the pistes really well and even with the pm sun its not transforming adversely the slopes although there is just about the possibility of working some Spring off piste if you decided that north pow wasnt your thing! So all in all conditions are excellent and might get even better later in the week. Well perhaps it will be tough going for a few days but in the grand scheme of things it'll be a great thing.

Anyway this morning, and after I got a late call from a colleague last night saying that due to personal reasons he had to pass on his morning lesson today to me, it was all go. For a Sunday morning it felt like a normal weekday morning actually. Olivia needed to get to club (again she was doing stubbies) and I needed to be a the meet point all for 0900 so it was a small miracle we fitted in normal eggs on toast break - yum!

Ben was having a chill day and Olivia had her new uniform trying on at 1000 at Club so Ben was dragged around a lot today.

Anyway I got to the meet point and my new team for today and tomorrow morning arrived promptly. It was an interesting group mainly in the TV and film graphics industry but of varying abilities. One thing you learn pretty quickly in this job is how to deal with what we call splits... so splits in abilities and needs etc between different persons in a group. Even in organised groups you always have splits and different needs etc and sometimes this can be massive and sometimes pretty minimal. However today and bearing in mind this is 6 friends there was a huge split.... from "probably should should still be on the magic carpet" through to a couple who "I might consider taking on a black run". So how do you manage that I hear you ask.... well sometimes you suggest splitting the group, sometimes you might give the harder drills to the more accomplished in the group and easier to the less accomplished and there are plenty of other tactics. But today it was a case of giving parameters in terms of location of types of run we worked on and thus those lesser ability wise were not likely to kill themselves or others. But often its like trying to stick a plaster over a sinking ship.

Today by working holistically as a group it could control the session and not let it fall apart. With some individual feedback and focussed feedback everyone could take something away from the lesson but it really is not ideal thats for sure! Phew one down one more to go tomorrow - nah it'll be fine all good - haha!

I collected Olivia and got her home and then the afternoon was a very chilled one. Ben and I watched a movie and played some Playstation and after bath and hair wash it time to get the kids to bed.

Tomorrow is full day of teaching BUT just to let everyone know.....

...the next couple of weeks before the school hols start there is some availability for lessons with me / TDC - so please get in touch if you have any lesson needs. There is not a LOT but a few slots including a few mornings after this week towards the end of the month but no further than that into the hols.

Oh and Ive just found a final and last pack of mince pies in the back of our store cupboard.... OK a little stale but a nice treat for March! haha

TTFN

Notice the pisteurs having a ski in monitors!!!! Guess after the close call in there the other week they wanted to check out what the entrance really is like at the moment!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 6-03-23 8:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Steve Angus,
'storm of the century' - don't know who's predicting that, but they should be careful what they wish for. By the time they'd finished digging out after a 'storm of the century' the season would be over. You CAN get too much snow (sorry, not preaching to yourself - you've done seasons & know the score).
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, late Jan 1999 was the only time I was confined to the hotel for 5 out of 6 days in Tignes. The final day was interesting, with only lower Les Brev/Boisses area open and 1m of snow to try to ski through. In the afternoon a small avalanche blocked the main road and delayed return to Le Lac by bus for a couple of hours. Saturday departure was a bluebird day rolling eyes

I recall, maybe 10 years ago at a guess, there was a spell when people were banned from going outside in Tignes for a few days, because of massive snowfalls and avalanche risks.

Let's hope any storm of the century doesn't have a similar effect. Shocked
ski holidays
^^^^ totally folks re storm of the century… over the years there have been some biggies and ironically it only takes about 2 days of ‘storm of the century’ before everyone moans about it being too snowy etc. in my years here have seen a few storms where people are confined indoors but as those of us who have experienced them when it’s that bad you don’t want to be outside anyway!!!!
latest report
@PeakyB, January 2018 the gendarmes went from bar to bar telling everyone to go home and stay there until further notice. Several days were lost to black flags. I think that season there were at least 4 storms of the century.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 6-03-23 12:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I remember Christmas 2019 being a bit of a snow-fest
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy