Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
endoman wrote:
PeakyB wrote:
@Steve Angus, back to the 21st century.

Looks like yesterday you got your female clients a part as extras in a Carry On film….or worse. Laughing

What would a Carry On film in Val D’Isere have been named??

It's French, but set in Val D'Isere, Les Bronzes Font Du Ski, can get DVD of it. Best watching in French, can get it dubbed into English. Proper funny.

In April 1975 5 Edinburgh University students (4 lads & 1 young lady) streaked down a piste in Murren. Thankfully no one had "social media" in those days - only old fashioned cameras with "film".
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@welshflyer, I've no idea how it's descended to this but (with apols to the OP of this thread)...

In the 2006 Winter Olympics, streaker Mark Roberts interrupted the men's bronze medal curling match between the U.S. team and the UK team, wearing nothing but a strategically placed rubber chicken.

I bet that was poultry in motion.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PeakyB wrote:
@vipul, @moosepig, @Kenzie, @Old Fartbag, @chocksaway, @endoman,

A ‘proper’ piste map shows you which way is north Smile
These are exactly 30 years old…

So North is always at the top of the page, wherever you ate reading the map?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
welshflyer wrote:
endoman wrote:
PeakyB wrote:
@Steve Angus, back to the 21st century.

Looks like yesterday you got your female clients a part as extras in a Carry On film….or worse. Laughing

What would a Carry On film in Val D’Isere have been named??

It's French, but set in Val D'Isere, Les Bronzes Font Du Ski, can get DVD of it. Best watching in French, can get it dubbed into English. Proper funny.

In April 1975 5 Edinburgh University students (4 lads & 1 young lady) streaked down a piste in Murren. Thankfully no one had "social media" in those days - only old fashioned cameras with "film".

So are you going to name & shame your co-conspirators? Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moosepig wrote:
Yep... Aéroski, Trolles, Piste H... does anyone who's been there a while ever use the new names?

Interesting to see from that '93 map just how many pistes across the ski area have been upgraded in difficulty, with none being downgraded as far as I can tell. But... isn't skiing easier now, with all the modern gear, than it's ever been? Twisted Evil

I try to but mentally revert back in my mind to the 'proper' names.

As to your other point - hmmmm totally - funny that eh... or maybe its the illusion that its easier and thus all the short cuts that are taken to get to this elite level of performance! I think the billions of € that is spent making it all look glamorous (marketing) and easy misses the point totally and lulls Joe Public into thinking fish, bash bosh the Face here I come!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
....otherwise loving all these chats about Carry on Films, old piste maps and streaking!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Burning money and superglue!

My skis ive been using last season and this with my touring bindings on are starting to show their age so Ive decided to go back to an old pair of skis from around about COVID times I was using - some Head Kore 95's... My skis are showing the age (with my touring bindings on) so these Kore were 'trialled' again today... I could not remember why I had shelved them but remembered as soon as I put them on this morning... one heel piece on one of the bindings is dodgy - as in two screws dont stay in properly and the brake keeps coming off if you are not careful. So all day today I have been rather cautious on them but thankfully they lasted the day and I have just been using rather a lot of superglue to try and bed the screws back into the ski and ultimately back it work properly again. Ill be getting new skis this Summer anyway so hopefully these will last another 2 months - think they will.

So this morning being a Wednesday and no school for the kids it was go, go, go with the aim of me getting them to kids club... so it was relatively easy in the end. Phew

Having dropped the kids off I headed to the meet point. So my am session was another Portuguese lot... this time 3 brothers and sisters (the oldest at 13 used to go to international school in London and spoke English OK but the other 2 not really much at all). Anyway with 'instructions' from the parents of what they needed to work on (turned out rather pointless targets even if I say so myself for their ability level) we set off. We went Solaise and then Fornet way. The weather initially was OK and some high cloud but slowly and surely over the day deteriorated. Anyway it was one of those sessions where the kids dont really listen, dont try and are differing abilities / attitudes and crucially being difference ages needed different approaches to teaching. As they continually wanted to overtake and not want to be there in the lesson and instead death wedging (in one case) everywhere it was unfortunately a session where it was probably just as useful for the parents to simply burn there money rather than spending it to be (sadly) honest on the lesson. Just not the right way to try and improve performance this way unfortunately.

So anyway I took lunch at the normal place and by now the clouds were quite thick but nothing too severe so headed up with my pm team back to the carpet. After a couple of laps on the small carpet we moved onto the big carpet and it was a very successful session... we all had fun and the improvements are really coming through. I dont think they will quite be ready to move onto the Madelaine tomorrow but you never know there is a chance!

It was pretty busy on the carpet though was the only downside of the afternoon and it didnt help that ultimately one of the two broke down - the queues got pretty crazy as you can imagine! With all the kids groups even the ski school line was horrendous and since no one in France seems to think to manage carnage like this it was a free for all.... does annoy me somewhat as reflects badly so much on the customer experience... but of course met with a shrug is the way these things are handled unfortunately!

It also doesnt help when people (ive said this before) come on ski holidays and leave literally all common sense behind - from standing in the middle of the door on the train rouge so no - one can get on or off... back home you would just step off the bus for a second and then back on or walking right UP the middle of the piste cause the carpet queue was so long (yes the FIS rules are you should walk up the side of the slope but hell no one thinks that beginners need physical and visual space to get down a slope and someone standing and walking up the middle of the slope is a MASSIVE issue for them)... and then there was a French Dad using his snowboard as a sled down the middle of the baby magic carpet with one small child in front and one behind.... not only can't he control his direction, scare (not that he would know) nervous beginners, but if he lost control his own kids could be killed BUT also that snowboard could fly off down the slope and kill someone (seriously that can happen)... the oblivious nature of him beggars belief.

Talking of injuries etc one of the pm team is a semi pro rugby player... he was joking with his mum that 'at least I do a safe sport like Rugby, mum'.... I then pointed out that hour by hour, person by person stats will show that Rugby and Football are MASSIVELY more 'dangerous' than skiing and snowboarding. But it always amazes me how the perception is that skiing and snowboarding are 'so' dangerous... they really are not.

By the end of the afternoon the weather was really moving in... not a Winter type storm really but thick cloud. It was thinking about snowing but couldnt really make its mind up. It is snowing a little and the weather system is complex so we are not sure how long or how much it will snow... however (at least for now) its not too windy! Lets see what tomorrow brings as im in two minds how this will pan out weatherwise overnight!

TTFN

Darn one broken down carpet... at least the bloke on the other side was sensibly walking up the side off the piste!

This morning it was just a veil of clouds
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's my first visit to Val for a while and most of the changes are for the better. But I don't like the return from Solaise via long queue for the carpets or an uphill plod.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steve Angus,
Re perception of skiing being dangerous - because sensible skiiers take out insurance, irrespective of their level - how many 'semi-pros' or outright amateurs in other sports would even think of doing so?
That said, skiing does have to contend with such hazards as snowboarders, the French (insert other johnny foreigner as appropriate), the English, students, those with exaggerated opinions of their own abilities, and combinations of the above.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kenzie wrote:
those with exaggerated opinions of their own abilities, and combinations of the above.

First day super-heros watching Instagram and Tik-Tok pros think they are that person and (try to) ski that way, they don't have the self awareness to behave otherwise.

Unless you do a sport regularly and get instruction, you won't realise you aren't awesome, are actually a bit poo-poo and need to improve.

I had an instructor who once told me the first step to getting better is realising you are poo-poo, he was right!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are some long lift queues this week and I have been teaching my family that it doesn't matter if we split up. Twice today one of us filled the sixth slot in a six seater only to find that the other five refused to move, leaving five seats empty. There is so much really inconsiderate and selfish behaviour.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kenzie wrote:
...those with exaggerated opinions of their own abilities, and combinations of the above.

...who are almost exclusively Male. The Female skiers I know are usually better than they think.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree 100% with that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jehu wrote:
It's my first visit to Val for a while and most of the changes are for the better. But I don't like the return from Solaise via long queue for the carpets or an uphill plod.

Sorry... just the bad week for it this week - not aways like that!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
those with exaggerated opinions of their own abilities, and combinations of the above.

First day super-heros watching Instagram and Tik-Tok pros think they are that person and (try to) ski that way, they don't have the self awareness to behave otherwise.

Unless you do a sport regularly and get instruction, you won't realise you aren't awesome, are actually a bit poo-poo and need to improve.

I had an instructor who once told me the first step to getting better is realising you are poo-poo, he was right!

Too true.... See my comment above I use... Expert skiers realise that they're actually beginners! Me totally included in that sort of statement of course!
latest report
Jehu wrote:
There are some long lift queues this week and I have been teaching my family that it doesn't matter if we split up. Twice today one of us filled the sixth slot in a six seater only to find that the other five refused to move, leaving five seats empty. There is so much really inconsiderate and selfish behaviour.

Its bonkers isnt it. I just tell me groups "fill the gaps".... its a few mins at most.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
...those with exaggerated opinions of their own abilities, and combinations of the above.

...who are almost exclusively Male. The Female skiers I know are usually better than they think.

I almost always find men over egg themselves and women sell themselves short. The number of times the 'husband presents the wife for a lesson but its actually the husband that really needs the lesson'. Its crazy.
snow report
Surely the reason most skiers take insurance is because they might otherwise have to pay Big Bucks to get mended away from the national health service. Most people who go on other sorts of holidays abroad take out insurance too.
Anyone taking a rugby or soccer team to play in France probably takes out insurance too, as would cyclists, walkers, etc.
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
The number of times the 'husband presents the wife for a lesson but its actually the husband that really needs the lesson'. Its crazy.

Ouch! Given the lesson we have booked next week is primarily for my wife.

But agree, I am horribly aware that I have shortcomings though at the moment the issue is my wife's confidence - primarily from missing a year due to Covid though there are other factors. However we will share the lesson which should do me good, but more importantly I find my wife has a much bigger incentive to show what she can do when her husband is being criticised!
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

I almost always find men over egg themselves and women sell themselves short. The number of times the 'husband presents the wife for a lesson but its actually the husband that really needs the lesson'. Its crazy.

After being watched by a good Instructor - the list of things that "could do with a little (read big!) improvement", can be quite an ego leveller....even if done diplomatically. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
One thing I’m not going to fool myself about is the relative risk of injury from skiing/boarding, compared with other sports.
Although I’d love to think skiing is safer, of course.

Undoubtedly, more people are injured playing football and rugby than are injured sliding around snowy mountains. Isn’t that just because so many more people, for much longer periods of time, are chasing balls than sliding?

For any meaningful comparison of relative risks, you’d need a common unit of measurement. For example, ‘injuries per person hour of activity’ across the different sports. I doubt anyone has reliable data, though guesstimates might be possible.

Insurance costs are usually a good broad indicator of relative risks and they’re a lot higher for skiing than football.

The take home message for me is that sliding around mountains is significantly more dangerous than football or rugby.

Adapt behaviour accordingly. Look after one another. snowHead
ski holidays
Insurance for travel tends to cover quite a range of things other than injury.
In skiing you are using expensive equipment, rescue costs tend to be significant.
Contact sports tend to be more injury prone than other sports.
Personally I'd be surprised if skiing was anything like as risky as football or rugby.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
One thing I’m not going to fool myself about is the relative risk of injury from skiing/boarding, compared with other sports.
Although I’d love to think skiing is safer, of course.

Again bit flat out at moment but this is exactly the assumptions that are ‘contested’. Will try and reply this evening when home from work but as an eg insurance costs in France ARE broadly similar between skiing and football etc as repatriation and all the rest of it which blow the insurance costs to gb nationals up, aren’t needed so much more like for like etc.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
In skiing you are using expensive equipment, rescue costs tend to be significant.
Personally I'd be surprised if skiing was anything like as risky as football or rugby.

I read a quote from a retiring Italian international rugby player this am. He is 39 and doesnt think we will see many late 30s players in the future as most of their careers will have been curtailed due to injury.

He says when he started, rugby was a contact sport - its now a collision sport.
latest report
To quote a Brit Chalet Company ops manager “When it comes to the ski rental form DIN set up statistics: knock one level off a males assessment of his ability and add 5 kg to a females assessment of her weight”.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
To quote a Brit Chalet Company ops manager “When it comes to the ski rental form DIN set up statistics: knock one level off a males assessment of his ability and add 5 kg to a females assessment of her weight”.

Quite I’ve heard that a few times before.
snow report
@chocksaway, Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
@chocksaway, Laughing both apply in my case.

I also got mixed up in my French explanation of my vital stats once and told the ski technician I was 80cms tall and weighed 180kgs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, @Steve Angus, friend in Snowberry said brit blokes generally overestimate ability, brit women never get to speak because the brit blokes speak on their behalf, and Scandi's generally underestimate ability; "I'm ok I suppose" = regional junior champion.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

That’s really funny. I shall remember that.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:

Yea agree!

PeakyB - agree on the adapt behaviour accordingly and share the love... for sure.

However to give a little more on my thinking on the insurance / danger v footy etc...

(of course there are stats, stats and lies in these things isnt there.... but here goes)...

-So Tignes / Val has 40000 sliders this week...
- x 6 days on average usage - lets call it 200,000 skier days this week in the EK area.
- On average say 5 hours mountain time a day (yes there is lift time and food breaks etc)... so lets call it 1,000,000 sliding hours this week
- Official stats in the industry suggest there will be 1.5 (closer to 1 for skiers and slightly over 2 I seem to recall for boarders) per 1000 persons needing some of 'help' a day... anything from getting lost, injuries (including suspected injuries!) both bad and minor and of course people needing help to get down a slope they shouldnt be on (yes have seen people call pisteurs for a skidoo ride down before). SO that works out at about 280 persons needing medical attention a week... of course some might be walk ins and there will be those who just get bangs and bruises etc but can't include the unknown in stats like this.
- lets take a game of footy with 22 people on the field for 90 mins of play... if 10 games were played then there is a reasonable chance someone would need some sort of medical attention of some sort e.g a cut that needs stitches or someone gets minor concussion for example. So 1 in 220 persons... if you scale that up to 40000 sliders in a resort this week thats about 180 people needing medical attention however a footy match last 90 mins whereas someone is actually skiing for say 10 hours during the week (in the line of danger e.g. standing on a slope / sliding down it etc). So based on that sort of metric you can play footy for 90mins or do a weeks skiing and broadly the same chance of needing medical attention of some sort... min by min footy is more dangerous.

Further calculations show that if 1,000,000 hours of footy were played and equating it to 1,000,000 sliding hours a week in Val / Tignes that about 1000 incidents (based on 1 incident per 900 mins of playing) in the footy matches would be recorded... against the circa 280 incidents skiing.

But yea on the insurance point a lot is to do with the point made that ski insurance has kit / repatriation / cancellation and curtailment costs included in it.

If all else fails ill use personal experience... I think in all my years and hours on the mountain ive had skiers thumb a couple of times, few cuts and bruises but nothing that I would consider a real injury and ive not been blood wagoned off (touch wood) ever. And before anyone says 'but you're skiing most of the time WELL within your abilities much of the time' - well yes I am but also subject to students potentially taking me out... leading 's' snakes down slopes and doing drills and demos 'in the fast lane with idiots buzzing around', putting tracks in in bad snow off piste / leading people in white outs when can't see a blooming thing ahead of you etc

Thats my tuppence!

BTW I was in hysterics re 80cms tall and 180kgs - can you IMAGINE - haha!

GreenDay - quite a statement that re a collision sport

Dr John - Thats awesome - that was either Al, Nick or Arjon (or Shah but I doubt it) that said that - must have been.
latest report
@Steve Angus, you make many good points in the ski v footie danger debate. I'm relieved I packed in amateur league footie at 43. I can tell you've been a Maths teacher. Now where did I put my log table book?

Quote:

Well I'm getting closer to that, year by year Very Happy
latest report
Dust on crust

I think today was the literal definition of dust on crust with about 5cm max of new snow at altitude but just about enough to make the ski resort feel like a ski resort again!

Kids off at school and with the temps a little cooler over night but the prospect of sun for much of the day it was a tricky decision as to how many layers to wear. Ultimately I went up a layer. I set off to the meeting point and with the sun coming up I realised that I probably shouldn't have gone up a layer but hey ho.

My team were early and we all got ahead of the curve and crowds by heading up the Solaise asap. After some warm up laps we developed the turns and got better and better as (predictably) it got busier and busier up there. With the busy magic carpet we probably didnt quite get enough laps in in time to make the leap ready for the Madelaine but they are planning on coming back again next year so I am certain they will get there.

It was a nice session and I really love it when beginners get the love for the sport. See you next year guys.

Lunch was the normal before my final seasonnaires lot for the year (can't believe time has flown by so quickly).

Being the last session we made a plan to head to Tignes and ski the Motte from the top (something most of them HAVENT done before) and then some freestyle in the park and general technique development. Only 4 of the team could make it but the most proficient so it was a good season. One thing the weather showed us was that it is changing once again... this evening its cloudy so lets see what that might bring.

Normal after school chores with the kids and getting them into bed and that summarises the day.

On the day itself and it being Mardi Gras carnival day all the lifties were dressed up... quite fun actually.

TTFN

Thanks to YSE for this lovely pic.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@Steve Angus, you make many good points in the ski v footie danger debate. I'm relieved I packed in amateur league footie at 43. I can tell you've been a Maths teacher. Now where did I put my log table book?

Quote:

Well I'm getting closer to that, year by year Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
On the back of 2 minutes' research here are some journal articles on danger in sports, injuries per 1000 hours.

Schoolboy rugby, first XV, playing games (2): 68/1000 hours
Schoolboy rugby, playing games (2): 47 injuries/1000 hours
Professional football, playing games (1): 36 injuries/1000 hours
Professional football, training (1): 3.7/1000 hours
Ski touring (4) 2.5/1000 hours
Professional skiers (3): 3.49/1000 DAYS, so about 0.6/1000 hours.
Recreational skiers in Norway (5): 0.9/1000 DAYS, so about 0.2/1000 hours

(1) https://barcainnovationhub.com/injury-frequency-in-professional-players-an-analysis-of-its-epidemiology-in-football/
(2) https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/2/168
(3) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254620301472
(4) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6743203/
(5) https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Skiing_Trauma_and_Safety/FEeOUCHet7AC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=skiing+injuries+data&pg=PA31&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=skiing%20injuries%20data&f=false quoted in https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/30/is-skiing-the-worlds-most-dangerous-sport
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
On the back of 2 minutes' research here are some journal articles on danger in sports, injuries per 1000 hours.

Schoolboy rugby, first XV, playing games (2): 68/1000 hours
Schoolboy rugby, playing games (2): 47 injuries/1000 hours
Professional football, playing games (1): 36 injuries/1000 hours
Professional football, training (1): 3.7/1000 hours
Ski touring (4) 2.5/1000 hours
Professional skiers (3): 3.49/1000 DAYS, so about 0.6/1000 hours.
Recreational skiers in Norway (5): 0.9/1000 DAYS, so about 0.2/1000 hours

(1) https://barcainnovationhub.com/injury-frequency-in-professional-players-an-analysis-of-its-epidemiology-in-football/
(2) https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/2/168
(3) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254620301472
(4) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6743203/
(5) https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Skiing_Trauma_and_Safety/FEeOUCHet7AC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=skiing+injuries+data&pg=PA31&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=skiing%20injuries%20data&f=false quoted in https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/30/is-skiing-the-worlds-most-dangerous-sport

Wow a great find. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

So schoolboy rugby has 100x incident rate of professional skiing.

As always there’s stats, lies and damn lies isn’t there. But fascinating non the less
ski holidays
My son in law, a PE teacher, was a very good amateur soccer player but he gave it up not just because of the injury rate but because so many of the injuries were deliberately inflicted. And as I've noted before in these pages, horse-riding kills more kids than Ecstasy.
latest report
@James the Last, what do they define as an “injury”? Self reported? Certified by med professional? Something requiring medical attention?
snow report
@Steve Angus,
Trying to answer this question:- https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/what-is-the-longest-ski-run-lifted-in-a-resort-anywhere.92841/#post-5300033
What is the km distance of the run from the Pisaillas glacier to Bonneval?
snow conditions
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

As always there’s stats, lies and damn lies isn’t there. But fascinating non the less

What about fatality and 'serious life-changing injury' rates across different sports?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy