Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
franga wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
Wow! Where is everyone?
At home cursing Macron

Or Boris

(Can’t seem to post an image from my phone, but the Marmot Arms in Le Lac has a big TV sign… “dangly bits to Brexit / dangly bits to Boris” Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
raino wrote:
franga wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
Wow! Where is everyone?
At home cursing Macron

Or Boris

(Can’t seem to post an image from my phone, but the Marmot Arms in Le Lac has a big TV sign… “dangly bits to Brexit / dangly bits to Boris” Smile
We might be cursing him too after 5 this evening ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Minion1980 - yes it is pretty quiet out there apart from the usual suspect pistes at certain times!
red 27 - there is certainly plenty of people with that yes.
omas brumm - much quieter than they would normally be a week like this but certain slopes at certain times are busy yes. I wasnt trying to portray it being very quiet in the pics just the way they came out.
balso - there are lots of COVID staffing issues about but to be honest whether it be French / British or any other based business there are problems with staffing levels with / without COVID issues added on top - so its a real problem! Signal can be expensive yes!
john2 - theres a lot about!
franga - there will also be some of that too! Luckily it doesn't look like Bojo put more foot in it this evening thankfully.
raino - probably both yes

Rapid progress

Ben was to spend the day at home today with Clare (well they also went for a ski this morning together - the benefits of living in a ski resort when the teacher is off!) so it just meant that needed to get Olivia out the door for school.

I headed up to the meeting point and had a long standing client of mine for her annual brush up (well missing last Winter of course!). It was so very nice to see her and to catch up with her and to hear all her news etc. She was on form and was so excited to be back skiing after so long! We brushed up on the Glacier Express and it was a pleasant surprise that there was about 5cm of fresh snow up there and it was rather light... it was a nice surprise! The clouds were threatening all day and the wind was brisk so it was nice that the largely clear skies prevailed. Anyway after some work there we took a trip down the Arcelle which was in OK condition and finished up with a ski down the Plan M. She really got back on form and its always nice teaching her as she is so keen to soak up the feedback and lesson content given. It was a good dusk up lesson for her. However the air temperatures were surprisingly warm so the snow was getting a little churned up and a tad like slushy bumps were forming (not real slush of course but 'turning' snow).

Lunch was back to under the Sun Bar before meeting up with the same couple from yesterday - the beginners - well officially anyway! They are coming on so well and are strong lads thats for sure. The 17 year old is easy to teach as listens well and is athletic thats for sure. By the end of the session he was happily coming down reds (in good condition) so I am pretty to see how far I can get them along in lessons by the end of the week thats for sure - good on them!

We mainly worked the afternoon up the Bellevarde and as usual it was a lot busier up that side. I have been building the foundations of their skiing yesterday and today and we have now touched on all the main foundations bar poles so we need to cover that tomorrow.

Talking of tomorrow the weather forecast is for rain / snow tomorrow so it could be interesting and lets hope it comes as snow eh! Certainly the snow by the end of today was getting a bit bumpy so we could really get back to Winter conditions thats for sure!

We finished up by skiing down to La Daille and dropping them back at their chalet here in La Daille and then I popped home - so it was a rather easy day from a logistics point of view. Tomorrow it will be more complicated with Olivia going to Club and Ben to Village and to a ski lesson too - gonna be complicated! Tomorrow evening there is also the second sign up night for the seasonnairs program which I am going to go along to to show face etc so could be very late posting tomorrow night. There is also a night slalom from Zagreb to watch - come on Dave Ryding so could be a jam packed evening.

One final thing - not sure I mentioned it or not at the time but I wanted to say well done to my amazing daughter as apparently with club the other day she was in the group that was ripping down the Face at speed and she was also the only one not to fall over (apparently!).

TTFN

A quiet Borsat lift this pm - technical fault I am guessing

Moody skies

The Stade Bonnvie was also very quiet
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Colder

With Ben off to the Village today (and having his lesson) and Olivia at kids club including a ski about this afternoon it was all go (as usual) to get sorted this morning. There was about 10cm of fresh snow in town this morning and crucially much colder BUT not as cold as I was expecting.

Anyway it was the term of the husband of one of the Irish team this morning and we headed up into a snowy Bellevarde to see what we could sort. With staff shortages etc it was interesting to see the Grand Pre and the Fontaine Froid both closed today! Anyway we spent equal time lapping around on the La Daille gondola and then when there was a break in the weather and the sun / blue sky tried to assert itself we got up to the Tommeuse top. It was apparent (not that we were going off piste) that off piste has significantly improved and there was some fresh tracks to be had! On the piste the focus of people and the underlying firm conditions meant that the piste were a mix of powdery bumps up higher and somewhat scrapped lower down!

We had a really good session and some great changes were made but the weather did move in once again. I took lunch down in La Daille as I was meeting for the afternoon down there.

The afternoon I was amazed as these guys are now only on their third day of skiing and totally smashing it. We worked a little on pole planting and how to deal with moguls but mainly got mileage. We did a 'round the world' and the weather and wind at altitude was quite nasty. The pistes in the afternoon however were much quieter and think this was partly because people were shocked at how much colder it was than even the morning. The cold spell will continue for a few more days yet a while. We got all the way down to Brev (where it was lovely) and all the way back to Val but they were somewhat tired by the end of the day. But good on them in those conditions and their third day of skiing - amazing - well done.

I collected Ben from Village and got home but it needed to be a quick turnaround as needed to get to Hibou for our seasonnaires sign up night. HOLY **** it was busy in there. I arrived then spent about 45 minutes queueing at the bar to order foot and drink -6 people deep!!!! It then took an hour for the food to arrive. I spent very little time doing anything other than that in the couple of hours I was there. The whole place had all the Army lads and virtually all the chalet staff in resort (as no one is working!).... and of course being Wings Wednesday it was busy anyway!

So that is pretty much up to date for you all. The only other thing to report is that the latest figures for attendance are in (skier days on the mountain): New Year week was 28% down on the 19-20 season (mainly Brits not being there). So far this season the STVI are 19% down. And you have to remember that the weather was very good for Xmas and New Year so masks how bad the downturn is and of course some businesses are much more badly affected than others!

P.S. Clare had to take the little girl she was skiing with this am in to their hotel (Hotel Madamoiselle!) for a warm up drink this am - they served her diet coke as follows - bonkers eh! Notice the lemon is not a lemon slice but lemon concentrate!!!!!!!

YES IT IS diet coke that!

TTFN
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus wrote:
With staff shortages etc it was interesting to see the Grand Pre and the Fontaine Froid both closed today!

Was that well sign-posted, or were you just paying attention to the piste map boards? I certainly wouldn't want to arrive at the bottom of Fontaine Froid with a beginner and find it closed!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thelem wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
With staff shortages etc it was interesting to see the Grand Pre and the Fontaine Froid both closed today!

Was that well sign-posted, or were you just paying attention to the piste map boards? I certainly wouldn't want to arrive at the bottom of Fontaine Froid with a beginner and find it closed!

Well it was shut at the top of Olympic, not moving and non of the barriers set up and they put netting up across the piste down Arcelle to stop you skiing that way! They're good and stopping you going where you shouldn't!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was Genepy off Borsat that I was thinking of more than the piste under the lift - you think you're taking a cruisy green and instead you end up with a choice between Santons and whatever the black is called! Sounds like they made sure it wasn't a problem, anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thelem wrote:
It was Genepy off Borsat that I was thinking of more than the piste under the lift - you think you're taking a cruisy green and instead you end up with a choice between Santons and whatever the black is called! Sounds like they made sure it wasn't a problem, anyway.

Yea I get you.... yes they must have closed it at the bottom of that pitch down from Borsat surely yes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quite incredible really

With the announcement of no teacher again in Bens class it was a different start to the day with Olivia getting the school bus as normal and Ben having an extra hour at home before his best friends granny (who lives in Val) was able to take the two of them for a fun day as Clare went off to work! Phew - sorted one day .... another day to sort tomorrow then we are off! Next week we will take when it happens!

The thermometer was showing -15 at breakfast time so I went UP 2 layers today to 9 and the boot heaters were definitely on! I was meeting at the bottom of the fun so dont even need to take the bus into town which made things easier HOWEVER I had a fair bit of agro to sort as it turned out that one of the tenants in one of our places has just decided to default on the contract and leave - FFS - or should that be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS! Just what we need.

Anyway I was with my usual lady I had the other day too and for her second lesson of the week and as she usually has a couple of lessons a year with me it was once again nice to catch up and chat with her and hear all her news. We decided that we were going to work on carving and headed Tignes way to make it happen. Once again there were staffing issues this morning (but it seemed to sort itself out this afternoon) so the Grand Pre and Fontaine Froid were not initially open. I continue to hear of staffing issues e.g. the self service at the Bellevarde restaurant being closed (or perhaps that is something to do with rule changes I dont know!).

Alas we took the Borsat and quieter route to get to Tignes intentionally so that we could work on some carving on the way over. The Double M was perfect for working on carving too and had some sections that were empty enough to allow us to really work on things nicely in safety. However after a descent down there I needed to get into the sun as it really was chilly so we headed up the Tichot side and broke things down again as the pistes up there were busy!

Anyway we ultimately finished by coming down to La Daille where I bused it back into town to the warmth of the area under the Sun Bar.

The afternoon I had the same lads and now they are only on day 4 of their skiing lives and I am blown away how well they are doing. In all my years ski teaching I have never seen anyone get this good this quick. I say it and he seems to be able to do it perfectly immediately! Amazing. So here on his 4th day I am taking him down an icey Face for the first time and BOY was it slick in a few places but he barely missed a beat.... incredible. It wasnt all as we played with some variable snow off Arcelle and skied the Rhone Alpes piste too. Well done. Hopefully ill be able to upload a vid below of one of the lads (17 years old) on the Arcelle.

And that pretty much brings you all up to date. More cold weather is forecast tomorrow but I am only working in the morning.

This evening I am totally shattered so making this a quick update I am afraid.

TTFN

hope that video link works?

Lots of hungry mouths needing to be fed at the Sun Bar this lunchtime!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Enjoy reading how things are in EK. Link doesn't seem to be working.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blacksheep wrote:
Enjoy reading how things are in EK. Link doesn't seem to be working.

Try https://www.facebook.com/671675415/videos/951957828780570/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, that works. Impressive. 4 days and to be skiing with that confidence and control.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blacksheep - thanks glad you like reading the blog. And yes it is very impressive - pretty chuffed I've helped him get to that point in just a few days.
thelem - thanks so much!

Cold again

I have to say I'm pretty knackered this week - lots going on and a couple of later nights. Also cold weather really takes the energy out of you thats for sure! Anyway I didnt get enough sleep again last night but as you might be able to tell I am not teaching this afternoon and was only on this morning so am having a fairly chilled pm. Of course with Ben not at school again today - we are hoping his teacher will be back on Monday, and his best friends granny and grandpa having been on babysitting duties here all day yesterday and this am it is our turn to have the carnage at ours this pm - so its not a totally relaxing pm unfortunately! Hey ho I'm glad to be in the warmth and no ski boots on! Ill have to go out later as I'm taking them both to their swimming lesson but apart from that I'm nice and relaxed and warm.

Anyway this morning it was a case of getting Olivia to the school bus and Clare took care of Bens movement. I geared up with my 9 layers and headed over the road to the bottom of the funi to meet my team including the guy in the vid above! The sun was shining and initially it didnt feel that cold. We headed up and spent the first half of the lesson looping around on the Grand Pre trying to work on some carving and like the story of the week they learnt that quite quickly! I could see the 'hat' cloud on Mont Blanc so it was an indication that the weather was slowly going to move in and hey presto the clouds have been rolling in all day - nothing too bad yet a while but it may well be snowing by the time it gets dark! Anyway when a cloud passed by it certainly felt colder (a LOT) and when the sun reappeared from time to time it felt lovely! But all in all it was jolly cold once again!

We took a trip down the Johan Clarey piste and it was in the best condition ever as it was deserted and they had made artificial snow on it that was so grippy - lovely.

At lunchtime I got home and Clare and I had about an hour before the boys got back and since then it has been a mix of tidying up the mess and carnage, doing some laundry and typing this up. Have a few emails to reply to and then as I said above am taking the boys swimming a little later on. Looking forward to having a bit of binge watch tonight.

In other local news locals are a little sad as it looks like one of our racers, Victor Muffet Jeandet has broken his ankle ahead of the Olympic games. There was a chance he could have picked up a medal in either GS or combined so that is a blow to the resort. Also I am awaiting to see what the local news coming out of the town council meeting is and will try and put anything of note in tomorrows update. Talking of tomorrow I think some skiing with Ben and his friend are on the agenda but lets see what the weather is like first as it could be horrible for the whole weekend and LOTS of snow. Stand by.

TTFN

Still some dust on crust to be had out there and it is quite deep in some places I have been told and seeing some colleagues videos.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a lazy day

I dozed off in front of the tv last night and probably by the time I actually got into bed still ended up feeling shattered this am. It didnt help that in reality it was sort of a work day this morning because Olivia needed to get to club for 0900 and Ben had his friend Tom over this morning. It was our turn to help Tom's Mum and Dad out as they were both working today so we had him the am!

Anyway by 0900 I was still in my PJ's and the boys were playing nicely and Clare was taking Olivia to club. Some ski racing and lots of cups of tea were the go this morning. In fact with the weather pretty nasty out there (mainly the wind) it was not very appealing. Clare took the boys out for a play in the snow whilst I caught up on some admin that needed doing and then planned lunch.

Lunch was the usual rush of Olivia being home for a couple of hours and the boys tucking in too but it was good that Tom went home at lunchtime as the boys REALLY needed a good sleep. So thats what happened... after lunch I took Ben into my bed and read him a very very long story until I heard snoring and quietly exited the bed. Olivia is back at club and Tom has gone home! I am watching some crap tv and watching the weather improve slightly out there before collecting a cold and grumpy (probably) Olivia from club and then we shall have a quiet evening.

In local news there was a small fire (nothing serious) at the Aigle des Neige hotel yesterday. Also the arrival figures for this week have been announced and the resort reckons it will be circa 44% full compared to about 62% last week so another very very quiet week. We (as a ski school) are hoping to start our seasonnaires program this week which will hopefully be another 6 hours teaching this week BUT without that it will just be the 1 lesson booked in this week totally 3 hours work. The resort is certainly expectant that by Wednesday this week the travel ban on Brits will have eased and we will be back in business by the week after. Fingers crossed.

Anyway I think that is all for now.

TTFN

P.S. Photos from Radio Val today as didnt get any of my own pics today

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A very lazy day

The weather was not very inspiring out there this am with the winds howling and the snow falling thick and fast (about 20cm had fallen and more was to come during the day).

No one had the incline to head outside (Certainly in the am!) so it was special eggs on toast etc for breakfast followed by some play time and then of course there was lots of ski racing to be watched on tv so we watched loads of that. The kids did lots of their own thing and generally we just had a duvet day.

I took Olivia to club in the afternoon and it was howling with wind and snow but she was excited to ski with her friends. When I got back I took Ben downstairs and he just loves being a boy and 'digging' away etc. So I froze to death for an hour as he played and stayed perfectly happy and warm. Oh for the love!!!!!

I managed to intercept Olivia as she skied down to La Daille and before she got on the bus into town to the meet point which meant we all got home at a decent time. She had a ball as they skied through the trees and all sorts - she is getting better and better at skiing all the time - bless her!

The evening therefore has been spent as yet more snow falls outside - we will have had about 40cm by the time tomorrow morning dawns and the sun comes out. A yummy family meal and now the kids are in bed ready for a full week back at school and we have just heard that Bens school WILL be back tomorrow - phew!

Tomorrow I am helping a friend move some stuff around town in the morning and then heading to Bourg for some food shopping in the afternoon so it will be one of those days tomorrow I am sure!

TTFN

HOW quiet !!!!!

Digging!!!!
latest report
@Steve Angus, loved the picture of Ben building his igloo. I notice no one else was braving the cold though!

Really enjoying your news updates, hoping that France opens up to us next weekend.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, Is Ben available to dig out our terrace? You could supervise from the sofa inside Smile
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:

j_b - lets hope so! And yes the rocks are nothing to worry about - nearly always like that most of the Winter!
chocksaway - yea I agree I think its limestone there as well - would tally.

Final

I was a little apprehensive that Olivia would not be on form today and the whole morning (well day really) was going to be thrown in the air - the last days work at that! Alas apart from being washed out she was OK and ate an OK breakfast. I took her to club this morning and Clare took Ben. Actually getting her to club was interesting as apparently I can't dress her properly and she was somewhat uncomfortable she kept on informing me! Anyway it got to the point of basically telling her to lump it and leave it and get on with it. She finally did and apart from being a little tired at the back of the group she skied with the club all day and that allowed Clare and I to complete a full day of teaching! Thankfully.

The morning with my team we worked on moguls and initially they did struggle a little but for the first time in moguls that was to be expected however I was blown away with how good they got and really really it all started to click together! There were a couple of funny falls though including some double ejections - good on them all for dusting themselves down and carrying on again though!

It was another sunny day and temps are just about cold enough for them to be making snow which is good but in the midday sun is it lovely and warm to be able to sit in the sun and enjoy so thats what I did at lunchtime! Yay!

The afternoon I had the wife of someone from the other day - a SH in actual fact. After a bit of a confidence knocking fall it was time to rebuild a couple of elements of her skiing to get her back on the straight and narrow. So we did some work on a variety of red runs and even in the stade where the snow was still perfect this afternoon. A jolly successful afternoon all in all!

With a slight change of plan as far as pick up logistics it was me who collected Ben from village.

And that is that really as far as work for the foreseeable future. Next few days ill be mostly internally looking before re-assessing what the **** happens next next week!

In local news the La Daille gondola I think got fixed today so that is good. Meanwhile covid is raging across the resort and they are reporting something like 15 - 20 cases a DAY within Val and that is of course symtomatic people! There is some level of worry about how little checking of pass sanitaires is going on around town after so much hype about it. Apparently to hit government requirements they only need to check 5% of people e.g. on the lifts.... well apparently they are doing 6x that number... not sure that can be correct as I have not been checked ONCE!!!! In the week of the 12-19 December some 6000 checks were made - again I was not checked during that time.... so I guess what I am saying is that as and when the travel restrictions are eased there is a good chance that having to get daily tests may not be needed - if you are checked and someone in the party gets turned away chances are try another lift a few mins later and you will get through just fine - make a mockery of it all really! Although apparently more Police are coming to enforce mask wearing etc etc etc soon too!

Apart from that I think that is all for now.

TTFN

@Steve Angus, can't believe I only came across your blog now. sitting in wet and miserable London for sure I appreciate your lessons a bit more (mogul notwithstanding). Best of luck for the rest of the season and hopefully see you and Clare soon.

Miao
snow report
j b wrote:
@Steve Angus, loved the picture of Ben building his igloo. I notice no one else was braving the cold though!

Really enjoying your news updates, hoping that France opens up to us next weekend.

Thanks - he just loves it. Promise I did go and help him after I snapped this photo! Promise! No no-one else was braving the weather no way! Thanks glad you enjoy the updates! Fingers crossed for some good news yes.
snow report
muppet wrote:
@Steve Angus, Is Ben available to dig out our terrace? You could supervise from the sofa inside Smile

You know what that is a good idea! In fact I wished we lived on the ground floor yesterday as I could have sat happily in the warmth and watched him dig for hours and hours on end. His imagination is something else - he had set up BBQ's / a round about and a jacuzzi out there at one moment in time!
snow conditions
Miao - ah thanks so much! Firstly WELCOME TO SNOWHEADS.... keep tuning in and reading up. Sorry to hear London is wet and grey - nothing changes there eh! See you soon.
ski holidays
I’m wondering if booking accommodation last minute for the second half of March would be wise. I’m coming from Australia and have considerable logistics to navigate.
latest report
Rush

Bit of a shock getting up this morning but needs must. There was a veil of cloud but it was promised that it would clear quickly (which it did). I got the kids on the bus and the day can properly start then.

I had a short wait before heading to get the car as I was helping an elderly friend in town move a LOT of stuff he has from his cave in town to his new flat down in La Daille ! Getting access by car to his cave in the Cimes building was tricky but we got there in the end. With a full car it was then down to La Daille and unloading into his new flat.... all in all it was a couple of hours work but happy to help him!

I then dashed down to Bourg and was a little naughty as popped to McDonalds for lunch - can you blooming well believe it they were playing Xmas tunes !!!!! We had EVERY single song you can imagine playing (all English songs)... I dont think the French realised the pain that was being inflicted on my ears! Im not sure they will have known it was Xmas music but FFS!

I popped to Super U to collect a few things that had been omitted from the shopping list and then the main event collecting the click and collect. It was the usual mad dash back up the hill and to get it all in the front door and put away before the kids got home from school. However today was even more of a rush as I needed to get over the road to Rosee B's for a meeting with our tenant and a new prospective 2nd tenant - rush, rush, rush! Anyway we managed to fit it all in and the meeting also went well to. Yay!

I got home (Rosee B was very quiet - so sad but it was nice to have a beer in the sun but boy it got chilly I can tell you!) and Clare was collecting Olivia from gymnastics and so I was on duty to get dinner ready. One of the big talking points in town today was that the school have announced strikes this week as all the extra work the staff are having to do with COVID restrictions etc etc etc is unfair but the town council have already put in place cover for the teachers so its a case of do you support the strike or send the kids to 'school' anyway with the cover - I think you can guess what we are going to do!

Anyway with the kids in bed I did some batch cooking with the food bought - loads of yummy Carbonara! Yay!

And here we are.

So tomorrow I have a promo lesson in the afternoon for some resort staff! In the morning Clare is teaching and ill be at home doing a few bits and bobs!

TTFN

ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
I’m wondering if booking accommodation last minute for the second half of March would be wise. I’m coming from Australia and have considerable logistics to navigate.

Anything that overlaps with Easter is going to limit your options and given what is going on in terms of demand and not being able to travel at the moment (Brits here) then as soon as things open up the demand (I think / hope) is going to be off the scale so I dont think it would be a wise decision especially when you will be coming all the way around the world for it!
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:

I'd guess that the British chalet operators at least would have plenty currently available & be flexible re prices and cancellation policy.
As Steve mentions, should restrictions be removed for Brits then this would rapidly change.
latest report
Quote:

Rosee B was very quiet - so sad but it was nice to have a beer in the sun but boy it got chilly I can tell you!

At least the beer stays cold. And those beers look GOOD!
ski holidays
philhitch - and it tasted good - in fact it was so cold that as the beer drained down the sides of the glass it slowly started to freeze into position!

The sun still shines

As we wait for the official update from the government (hopefully tomorrow) it was time to take stock today of the amazing snow conditions and scenery we have! More on that later.

I got the kids off on the bus and ran a couple of errands and then had a morning of admin sorting some paperwork / emails etc out whilst Clare was out teaching.

At lunchtime Clare came home and we literally passed each other in the doorway as I headed out for the pm lesson. I was teaching a promo lesson for a chalet company and after a false start (one of the team forgot their lift pass) we headed up the Solaise and into the sun. Working on the magic carpet we were entertained by the pisteurs practicing winching into and out of the chopper which was cool to watch from a far. Anyway it got me thinking about what a magic place we live in - amazing views and environment but seeing how amazing the snow is was also pretty special. The fresh snow and now cold temps we have means it is so good on the mountain. The off piste is pretty stable and the snow deep enough to enjoy it out there but hopefully more will be coming when this high pressure system moves on at the weekend. The mountain is also so very quiet at the moment but hopefully it will get busier before too long eh!

Anyway we made some good progress although the Spanish girl I am not 100% sure really quite grasped the details of what I was teaching but who knows! After about 6 / 7 laps on the magic carpet with the technique getting stronger and stronger I decided there was enough control to take them up the Madelaine so off we went. It went better than I had envisaged so that was a result.

After skiing we headed to the Blue Note for a quick beer. It was sadly very empty in there.... feel so sorry for them! Al who works in there came to tell me the Police had been around last night to enforce the rules and to he reminded us that for now ALL you could do was sit and drink at the bar and tables - you cannot stand up / mingle unfortunately!

And that pretty much brings you up to date.

Tomorrow we have a family day off to all ski together which will be nice so am looking forward to that - I think Bens best friend is coming for a ski too!

TTFN

Never tire of this view eh!

Lonely at our meet point

My friend snapped this photo for me at Londons Waterloo station - if you can't get to Val then why not pretend your on a skiing holiday eh!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus,
Then ski the down escalator?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What’s the deal with apres this season? I presume no bands on daytime or evening and sitting at tables only? Are Cocorico and the Folie open? Guess the bars must be pretty quiet in the evenings.

Fingers crossed we will be allowed in and our March trip will go ahead.

Hope you get some more bookings Steve.
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:
What’s the deal with apres this season? I presume no bands on daytime or evening and sitting at tables only? Are Cocorico and the Folie open? Guess the bars must be pretty quiet in the evenings.

Fingers crossed we will be allowed in and our March trip will go ahead.

Hope you get some more bookings Steve.

Plenty of bands on in Tignes!
ski holidays
And restrictions seemed to be entirely ignored in Cocorico last week as I passed by every evening (except for the passe sanitaire check), with dancing, music, and standing patrons.
ski holidays
Kenzie - yea - im not servicing your skis afterwards though!
HoneyBunny - thanks - yes fingers crossed! Apres - yes its still happening but yea quiet on the bands front for sure and it is most defiantly tables only. In fact they are getting more strict on it. When I was in Blue Note last night we were reminded that the Police had come around and enforced table on service in pubs etc. So much so that if you come and there is no seats left then they turn you away! Yes Cocorico and Folie open for sure. No idea about how busy evenings are as not out in the evenings! See you in March hopefully.
balso - bars are pushing the boundaries for sure - just to stay alive! But wherever they can get away with it bars are turning a blind eye as there is no help from the government of course. But the enforcers are starting to hand out fines etc.
snow report
Go girl

I was woken up by the kids jumping on my head in the morning especially Olivia asking as part of our family morning on the mountain whether I would take her snowboarding.... so that was a hell of a start to the morning as I was in a deep sleep when they jumped on me!

So we had a relatively easy and relaxed start to the day and tried to work out how Ben was going to have his friend and mum and dad come along to all slide together but finally a plan was hatched! I swung by Hors Limite ski shop (almost opposite Dicks T Bar) as I know Bruno in there has small snowboards for Olivia size kids! Then we caught up with Clare and Ben up the mountain and started snowboarding with Olivia. She was a little rusty after a year or so not snowboarding but she got back up to speed pretty quickly. Ben and Tom were whizzing around the mountain on the Madelaine with Clare and Toms mum and dad and Olivia and I then had a run together on the Madelaine too... go girl! As is usual (for everyone not just kids but especially with kids due to lesser muscle tone) her toe side turns were weaker than her heel side turns but she got there in the end and linked plenty of turns together even on the steeper sections of the Madelaine - a proud Dad moment. It didnt help that the board boots she was in were 2 sizes too big (the only size they had left!).... so all in all I was a very proud dad.

We stopped for a hot choc at the Lounge but it was obvious Bens tummy wasnt quite right and he was getting a little grotty as he was tired after the skiing so we all decided to head home. Olivia bumped into a friend up there (also snowboarding) so she came back with us for lunch and an afternoons playing.

A nice lunch and then plenty of play time for the kids (and us running around after them clearing up the fights, arguments and mess!) was in store for the afternoon. I did pop up into town as one of the tour operators now they have lost one of their large chalet hotels is trying to sell off all their canvas wall prints and luckily they have some really really nice skiing and also Val orientated canvas prints. So for €40 I collected 8 (yes Cool large A2 and A3 ones... me staggering home on the bus carrying them all was quite funny.

So that brings you up to date. Even though there is a national school strike tomorrow as the teaching unions are complaining about the conditions they are having to teach under at the moment in terms of Covid protocols etc the town council is laying on some cover so the kids are both going 'to school'. Yay!

Waiting for his friend to arrive

A tired boy with a sore tummy longing to get home.

The sun continues to shine brightly!

TTFN
latest report
You must be pleased with the news about Brits being allowed to return from Friday this week. We certainly are!
snow conditions
lower wrote:
You must be pleased with the news about Brits being allowed to return from Friday this week. We certainly are!

I have to say I am very happy, let's hope it lasts the rest of the season.

@Steve Angus, good timing me booking some lessons with you last night!

Hope Ben is felling better this morning, poor fella
snow conditions
lower wrote:

Indeed. However the official decree hasn't been announced yet - thats tomorrow. This is just a skim statement from them basically saying "we are gonna do it but no details annoucened". However it is good news. The devil could still be in the detail tomorrow so until that decree (small print) comes out I'm holding my breath. One thing is for sure it is better than the current state and people can now come but the terms could still change - we shall see!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
lower wrote:

I have to say I am very happy, let's hope it lasts the rest of the season.

@Steve Angus, good timing me booking some lessons with you last night!

Hope Ben is felling better this morning, poor fella

Yay you're back on here - long time!

Indeed for the rest of the season! yippee

It was good timing indeed and yes Ben is better this am thanks.... just a little tummy bug I think nothing serious!
snow report
@Steve Angus, what a result on the art canvasses, I'd love to be able to get hold of something like that (at that price!!). Great news on the opening up, should see us OK for March now as just 2 adults, but feel for the families without all the details being communicated.
snow conditions
dunc999 - yea it was a great result for sure! Yea until tomorrow we dont know what the details are going to be especially for families too it is still going to be very hard!

Lazy day

Getting the kids up and out the house was quite easy this morning. As you might have heard there is a national strike in France today amongst the teachers so whilst the schools are closed there is cover laid on by the town council in the form of a day of self study for the older ones and play activities for the younger ones. Given the amount of school that has been missed and with the threat of more strikes and possible school closure if COVID gets even worse Clare and I (along with most parents here) sent the kids in anyway! The chance for them to play with their friends and develop socially we could not miss out on. So I dropped the kids down at the bus stop and nervously waited to see if any other kids / parents would come join me - luckily most of them were there by the time the actual bus arrived thankfully!

Ben was back on form and ate a massive breakfast so that was a good sign.

So with the kids on the bus both Clare and I have been taking a little down time before what will now (hopefully) be a Tsunami of enquiries and bookings. In fact both on here and through other channels there has been lots of activity which is a good sign and thanks to those who have been in contact to try and book slots up! However I have also been throwing caution to the wind all day as I think there are a few things to bear in mind.

- the press (whether national or travel press or even ski press) like to push a good story BUT
- the source of todays announcement has come in the form of a few lines from a junior government French minister AND
- in France its the details of the decree (which is due to be published tomorrow) that will really matter AND
- the thought the flood gates being opened fully is probably a little foolhardy to think for example things like self administered LFT's have never really be accepted in France so there is quite a good chance that the details of the tests required to get into France will be high AND finally
- a combination of French bureaucracy and Macron politics could mean there are stings in the tail to come.

The headlines therefore I think are a little rushed and until we see the details tomorrow I think a little caution needs to be exercised.

Having said all that I am INCREDIBLY excited that things are going to be better than they are now and things are moving in the correct direction - really hope we now have a good run through to the end of the season and try and salvage what we can. I know this week and next is pretty quiet and then late January it does start to pick up but lets hope lots of people now rush and flood out here - yay!

So following lots of the developments and catching up on plenty of admin that needs doing I have also managed to catch some ski racing on TV and do a handful of other jobs - yay!

Ill be off to get the kids soon and tomorrow morning I am clear from work in the morning before it picks up again in the afternoon as I take the first load of my seasonnaires out - yay.

TTFN

I didnt go up today but look how lovely it looks down there eh!

I genuinely dont know because I wasnt there which lift this is but I am going to hazard a guess at the top of Grand Pre lift - what does everyone reckon?

And this one..... I reckon - 99% Glacier Express top of.
ski holidays
Yep reckon you are right on Grand Pre and definitely Glacier! Oh to be on that snow!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy