Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi alvinsu and welcome to Snowheads.

So you are basically looking for a place in Val that can look after your dog during the day when you are out skiing - is that what you are asking? You could join a Facebook group for Val d'Isere and ask on there but in all honesty I dont think you would find something and certainly not a formal place - just a person that might offer for the week but then they could change their mind or whatever. If I were you I would leave your dog at home in the UK. There IS a dog hotel down the valley but you'd need to get it there and pick it up and its quite a drive away - were talking at least an hour each way! Probably a little tricky!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Steve. Can you let me know the name of the dog hotel ? One possibility is to leave the dog during our stay. Or maybe for half of the week.

On a side note, we took a few lessons with Clare (not sure if she remembers a Chinese couple) three years ago and another few lessons with Colin at TDC. Very good memory, we will be in touch again to book some lessons this Christmas as we have a large group coming to Val.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chezpooch@yahoo.com - Chez Pooch near Moutiers is the name.

Ill ask Clare if she remembers you - we see a lot of names and faces so its a possibility but a Chinese couple is probably more memorable! Likewise Ill ask Colin. It'll be good to see you back here this Christmas! Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alvinsu, maybe you could also squeeze in a trip to the SnowHeads Pre Season Bash, early December, in Tignes? Then your husky would probably have the company of Talisker, a prominent SnowHead husky. Also the man who tags along with him, Husky Dave snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

PeakyB - indeed building those memories. Looking forward to another adventure next Summer! Wow you know Greece inside out! It was amazing! The Italian lakes are nice indeed! Hmmm no idea where the good value lunch in Venice was but the amazing place for lunch on the Amalfi coast was called Villa Ruffolo in a place called Ravello - google it.

Thanks...Amalfi coast on the list to return to. Consistently good food in our experience but I'll watch out for that one if visiting Ravello.
Mmmm, Greek Islands....quick tot up suggests I've visited 27. Sounds a lot, until you realise that still leaves 200 to go. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PeakyB, that's impressive and hey, if you run out, there's always Sweden (>250,000). (Yes I looked that up and had no idea, was going to mention the Philippines)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle, that’s remarkable! Less than 1000 of those 267000 islands of Sweden inhabited.
So many islands, so little time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PeakyB wrote:
@alvinsu, maybe you could also squeeze in a trip to the SnowHeads Pre Season Bash, early December, in Tignes? Then your husky would probably have the company of Talisker, a prominent SnowHead husky. Also the man who tags along with him, Husky Dave snowHead

Daughter's school finishes on 17 Dec. It will be many years until I can join the early season bash.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alvinsu, it’s a very educational Bash Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi! I have been reading this forum for couple of years now but haven't posted before. I could use some advice about Val D'Isere and Tignes. As we couldn't ski last season, we hope to start this one as early as possible. Usually we come to Alps for one week in spring, but this time we hope to make two trips. We are considering Val D'Isere from the opening week, from 27.11 to 04.12 or the next week from 04.12 to 11.12. Is there big difference between those choices? How much area has been usually open from the first week? Are the links open to Tignes or should we stay in Tignes instead of Val D'Isere? And any other info we should be aware of would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kaupo, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
I suggest you also post those questions on this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4646210&highlight=tignes#4646210
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kaupo, The links between Tignes & Val D'Isere are open from opening day. Prior to that only the Tignes glacier and runs off it are open.
Snow permitting the same runs will be open both weeks - the advantage of the second week is it gives the chance for more snow to fall.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kaupo - yes welcome to Snowheads. As PeakyB and Kenzie elude to there is not a massive difference in the weeks to be honest! First week of the season it is dead quiet and you can get the chance of free ski tests over opening weekend but the chance for the link between the two to be open will be lesser. The 2nd of those weeks can be a little busier and the snow on the law of averages will be slightly better but its much of a muchness to be honest!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replies. Quiet week sounds nice, more room for us. Probably we will choose the opening week. Are restaurants on the mountain also open from the beginning of the season?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think there'll be PLENTY of room either way! Yes everything open (well mostly yes). Some hotels / bars / clubs etc not fully open but most stuff all good to go! Enjoy!
ski holidays
Wow - the road from the dam down to the Brevières turn-off is wavy and atrocious on the downhill side. Think it’s been chewed up in the summer\soft tarmac with road/tunnel works. If you’re heading to Tignes from Val or valley, then I’ve taken to following the cycle route up from Brev (there are traffic lights at the purification plant (under construction)) but it’s a much smoother ride.
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
Wow - the road from the dam down to the Brevières turn-off is wavy and atrocious on the downhill side. Think it’s been chewed up in the summer\soft tarmac with road/tunnel works. If you’re heading to Tignes from Val or valley, then I’ve taken to following the cycle route up from Brev (there are traffic lights at the purification plant (under construction)) but it’s a much smoother ride.

Yes its horrendous at the moment. I believe its been caused by the dynamiting into the ground but should all get sorted before the Winter (hopefully!).
snow report
@Fogliettaz, Eh oh! cannot get better anywhere else
snow report
@Fogliettaz, Eh oh! cannot get better anywhere else
snow report
@Steve Angus, Hi Steve, I am trying to sort out my ski lesson this season in Val Disere, what's the best way to contact you?
ski holidays
@alvinsu - hi thanks for the message. If you go to top right of the page here you can send a message to me - you just need to find my username which is my name obviously and off we go. So pop me a message and we can sort it from there. Hope thats ok? Thanks. Steve
ski holidays
Has it really been 2 months

I have been very remise at doing this and cant believe 2 months has gone by. Sincere apologies! But what a busy (as usual couple of months it has been). Ill start with some pics from Radio Val this time I think.

They have been building these new platforms in the forest just up and across from the Trifollet restaurant down here in La Daille.... its nearly finished apparently but its going to be some sort of kids adventure playground sort of area when skiing - not sure exactly how itll work but we shall see - exciting development!

It was another bumper summer season again this year... case rates did get high (very high actually) for a few weeks but kids shows like this one were very well attended!

The development works at Club Med have been coming in slowly but surely - to be honest there has been another load of development and improvements this Summer - more on that in a moment!

My friends got married in late August - lovely celebration with all the local expats and others in attendance!

No Tour de France in Val this year but the Tour d'Avenir for 'the next generation of upcoming riders' came through instead

Another September rolls around and it is back to school for all the locals

So as you can see August was lovely and sunny and felt like a normal Summer! The tourists were here, the sun shone and most of the normal events all happened. My kids loved their usual swimming lessons (boy Ben is a fish in water - and he LOVES it too) and are doing really well. When not doing that they were doing lots of trampoling which again they love. Olivia landed her first few front flips which she was more than chuffed about.

We took the opportunity at the end of August to pop to Annecy for one final camping weekend. Luckily the weather was really nice - we even went for a quick swim in the lake. It was lovely meeting up with Clares Aunt and Uncles as well as the usual things like BBQ's etc. The campsite we went to had an amazing swimming pool which the kids loved of course!

Back in Val we were able to profit from the new playground they have built over the road too which pleased the kids no end.

No sooner had it started but the Autumn seemed to arrive and 'rentre' commenced... so back to school time. Olivia is really thriving with her reading and writing in particular - so proud of her. Due to numbers (not that great) at the school her class has been split up and combined with the year above.... its all a little messy to be honest with you. Anyway she is thriving with her school work. Ben is now in the moyenne section and again his class has been split up but he is happy as he has one of his besties in the class with him. Talking of school it is turning into a bit of a weekly habit for a long outside play time downstairs outside our block on a Friday afternoon when usually one or more of Olivia and one or more of Bens friends come for an hour or two of running around like crazy!

It had been needed for a very long time but I treated our van to a great valet service by Vallee Valet down in Bourg and the awesome main man Colin. He had our van for 24 hours and worked wonders cleaning it up - boy it needed it. He worked inside and outside to get it shining again! Good on ya Colin!

No sooner had that been done but I was taking a friends van back to the UK as it needed servicing and MOT'ing etc. It suited me as I needed to get back to the UK (more on that in a moment) and helped them out. They paid my costs etc but apart from the van being somewhat of a wreck (e.g. no rear windscreen, headlights sometime not working (I only drove it during the day!!!!!!!!) and the need to disconnect the battery every time you stopped for more than a couple of minutes! Anyway the journey back was a success. I spent time seeing my mum (she is in a poor state, bed bound, not sure she knows who I am, cant speak etc). I cleared out her old furniture from the new flat and saw the last few things on the building side of things take shape. The majority of the flat was completed back in late July and much of August she was rented out on AirBnb. However when I was back in the UK for a couple of September weeks the builders were back in completing the final part of the build. Lots of old furniture and family heirlooms needed to be sorted... it was quite an exhausting trip but im glad to say it really is nearly all complete now. Of course I had to have the obligatory annual catch up with my mums accountant / financial advisor as well as having her car serviced and MOT - boy it was a busy couple of weeks!

I got back from the UK last weekend and now its time to really focus on the upcoming Winter... getting our other flat rented out as well as sort out lesson enquiries and bookings etc - shall be all go! We have had our first really hard frost of the Winter already and most mornings now there is at least a light frost although this week it is due to get a lot colder and more stormy so I would not be surprised if they had to close the Col etc! Things are looking really positive for this Winter in terms of visiting and covid etc. It still hasnt been decided if Covid health passes will be needed to buy list passes but time will tell what happens on that front. Anyway the remaining tour ops (and there has been a large cull for various reasons) and ski schools etc (there have been some serious shake-ups on all fronts) are planning as normal for this Winter and thing it will be fine for visitors coming internationally this year. It is certainly going to take some time to adjust as the double whammy of Brexit and Covid has thrown everything up in the air and it wont be easy but we shall do our best now we can actually have a season (we hope / think).

With the easing of Covid restrictions we think we will be able to get back en famille to the UK for October half term... this will be amazing for the kids to see grandparents and cousins etc. Also for Clare and I to catch up with some friends too. We are not 100% sure how long we will be able to go back for yet a while as the school here might impose a 7 day isolation period for any kids that have been to the UK before they can go back to the classroom - time will tell what the rules are. The school here make the point that cases are raging in the UK compared to France so that is their reasoning - hmmmmmmmmm!

Locally I have been looking on in wonderment at the building works on the river area over the road from here as they are replacing all the main water works to the big blocks over the road. They have effectively diverted the river and dug big trenches in the bed of the river to put new pipework in... its been going on for a month already and they are still going hard on the works. The other big job is the building at the foot of the funicularie of the new snow factory hq for the La Daille and 'backside of Bellevarde' area. The funicularie will have a sort of entrance hallways building you can walk through to get to the train.... my understanding is that it WONT be ready for this Winter but still it is going to be impressive.

Ooh and talking about building works we hit a bit of a snag with the town council re our plans for extending our flat here - the meeting a couple of months ago means we need to revise our thinking and re-submit so that is an ongoing project.

So I think that brings you up to date... Im sure there are loads of things I have forgotten to tell you about but perhaps ill remember tomorrow and add more. So ill finish by posting some of my own pics now and apologise once again for being way behind. Itll only be a few weeks until the Winter starts and daily updates can start again and we can all get back to doing what we all love doing on the snow. Please do drop me a line if anyone is keen for lesson bookings!

TTFN

- when I was up the Bellevarde I was able to peak down towards the building site that is the new restaurant that is going in at the bottom of the Grand Pre

My little man celebrates his 4th birthday

The building works at the funiculaire

The water works in full swing down here in La Daille

The Bourg fayre in late August was cool too

During the Avaline faye Ben got to not only go up the firemans ladder but try on their helmets too - he was in heaven!
snow conditions
Great update Steve. Looking forward to our lessons in December.
snow report
Hi Steve,

What is the Funiculaire that you refer to? Are they building another one or simply replacing the Funival?
ski holidays
alvinsu wrote:
Great update Steve. Looking forward to our lessons in December.

Thanks yes - it won't be long!
latest report
welshflyer wrote:
Hi Steve,

What is the Funiculaire that you refer to? Are they building another one or simply replacing the Funival?

Its the Val d'Isere 'Funival'. All they are doing is upgrading the base area of it - so a building that will house the tech and valves etc for the snow making (cannons etc) for that end of the resort as well as making the entrance to the public to the funi a little more inviting and user friendly. Over and above that I dont have any more details. Hope that helps.... time will tell what actually materialises.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Good bit of free PR with Clare on Sky News just now talking about prospects for the season.

Couldn't help noticing the distinct lack of snow in the background though!
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
@Steve Angus, Good bit of free PR with Clare on Sky News just now talking about prospects for the season.

Haha yes thanks. She got a call yesterday asking her to take part in the show as they found her on social media.... anyway a couple of vodka's for breakfast and some chatting together and she was ready! She did well. There is loads of snow up high - pity she didnt get a chance to mention it! But its pretty 'normal' down here for this time of the year - nothing to worry about at all yet! But great advertising yes! Thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
P.S. Will try and get a still shot to upload when I get a chance
latest report
Pictures missing commentary intriguing!!
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
BoardieK wrote:

Haha yes thanks. She got a call yesterday asking her to take part in the show as they found her on social media.... anyway a couple of vodka's for breakfast and some chatting together and she was ready! She did well. There is loads of snow up high - pity she didnt get a chance to mention it! But its pretty 'normal' down here for this time of the year - nothing to worry about at all yet! But great advertising yes! Thanks.
Damn, I missed that. Is the piece online anywhere, it would be nice to see Clare being interviewed.
latest report
apologies if this has been covered already, but anyone know what the large building is on the car park in Tignes VC? Just clocked it on the webcam. Presume a hotel. Does this mean a long walk to the funi? Will be there tomorrow for a cheeky pre-season slide.
latest report
@Dr John, it's a new Club Med development.
snow report
@rob@rar, ta. Has it taken up the entire car park? Looks huge.
ski holidays
@Dr John, . Yes, the car park is no more.
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, blimus. It was rammed same time last year for Motte skiing, where does everyone park now?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@GeorgeVII, blimus. It was rammed same time last year for Motte skiing, where does everyone park now?

The great elephant in the room question!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
BoardieK wrote:

Damn, I missed that. Is the piece online anywhere, it would be nice to see Clare being interviewed.

Its on her Instagram page here:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVSHDAlooZX/

Hope it works. Copy and paste job perhaps!
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
Dr John wrote:

The great elephant in the room question!

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
latest report
Did I read there’s a new multi storey car park in Val Claret as part of the masterplan?
If so, maybe the last bit to be built?

I think the regular Tignes thread on here had plans, details and comment last month.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy