Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@Mogmogmog,

Germain Mattis is graded as a red run because at the end of the flat section the piste drops into the much steeper narrow piste, through the trees to the end of Piste L in Le Laisinant. The piste is graded according to the steepest part of the piste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I find certain similarities between Golf and Skiing. With the former, the clubs have got much bigger and more forgiving; the balls give more control; the shafts hit further......but.......handicaps are unchanged from years ago, as it's still about the skill level/short game. All the technology has done, is allow you to hit the ball even further in the wrong direction.

Old school skis certainly made skiing more difficult and made lessons much more necessary....and by the time you learned to turn Off Piste, you had been skiing long enough to have an appreciation of the mountains.

I suppose, the point I'm making, is that technology is no substitute for skill - which needs work and guidance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-10-20 7:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm firstly the comments about people and lessons and ability etc...

Quotes above such as:

"One of the reasons for this is that ski and snowboard design has made it easier to get on the slopes and a lot of people would rather ski or board out of control at high speed simply to show how fast they have gone on their phone app and/or Go Pro."

and

"...its a weird mindset thing where they seem to think that strapping on the skis and heading downhill means they have cracked it.

I asked the father of one of the groups how his new son in law had got on (had never skiied in his life) and the answer was "aye, he took to it really well, managed to get down some fairly steep reds with us on the first day and was really fast". "

and

"I think there is an expectancy these days that progress will be very quick ie. days rather than weeks. Also a big change from 30 years ago are the quality of the pistes. Moguls are unheard of in many areas, pistes are perfectly prepared and frequently widened and graded in the summer. With modern equipment skiers are essentially being encouraged to ski flat out. I’m just as guilty Sad"

and

"
The problem I believe is that we live in an instant world, same day deliveries, instant music, videos, movies etc.

People don’t appreciate the art of skiing, mountain skills, development any more.

Phil from snoworks was suggesting resorts should do less pisting and allow moguls to develop which will slow people down and mean they need to develop some skills. Personally I think it’s a great idea."

and

"Bring back 'skinny skis'? When the saying was that it took seven years (ie 7 x six day holidays with lessons) to learn how to parallel ski blacks AND that was every pupil's expectation.

Though I personally blame people copying ski instructors by going around the mountains with a camera-phone in one hand - no names - no packdrill. snowHead (see chocksaway above). But seriously people concentrating on their selfie stick & not what is around them are a true danger on the slopes."

(Ed: one of the reasons why I dont film and ski at same time - dont think I have ever knowingly / consciously done that. Don't think I can think of many instructors who have done that!)

and

"I think possibly something to do with the expectations of lessons and people wanting to get progression quickly. You pay £200+ for a week of group lessons for a few years there is an expectation that after a point in time that 'doing a black run' is progression rather than actually focusing on fundamentals and being able to ski a blue well. I'm guilty of above and just want to get out on the slopes and do as much as possible.

I also noticed with my kids the levels are set up accordingly to the run level and kids getting passed at various levels having skied for x weeks regardless of ability but actually were not any better than the children with less experience. Not that I'm qualified to judge just an observation.

Also equipment is much more forgiving. So you can do more for less effort. Plus social media shows you what is possible so probably raises expectations."

and

"Also the really good skiers usually aren't on the piste anyway.

I would like to have more lessons but a ski holiday is expensive enough already. I had many years of 6-day lessons when I was learning (thank you parents!) and have continued to have private lessons here and there but I'd love to improve.

I do see a lot of people skiing very fast on busy pistes and it scares me - St Anton was particularly bad for this."

and

"Agree on the level of muppetry on the slopes and basic ignorance of the rules of the piste - certain ski schools should do more."

and

"I think there's a key difference between 'poor technique' and 'inconsiderate/dangerous behaviour'. The two aren't mutually exclusive of course.

Personally I don't have much problem with people who could clearly improve their technique with tuition, but nevertheless ski in a controlled, considerate and relatively safe way.

I have major problems with those who endanger others with their style. This can be because their confidence and risk taking outweighs their technical ability. But I also see what I think are technically very capable skiers, who endanger others by skiing too fast, too close, without due care and attention when entering or setting off on a piste, etc. They often disregard the prevailing conditions and fail to show much empathy with those who are less competent than them, eg beginners.

Much the same on the roads I think and probably quite a few people behaving badly there are the same when they ski.

Anyway, for ski instructors, it must be good to see such a huge potential market for their services snowHead"

and

" suppose, the point I'm making, is that technology is no substitute for skill - which needs work and guidance."

and

"Speaking as someone who has been in Moutiers ICU for 3 days due to a skiing accident where two girls ploughed into me out of control when I was 20 (and as a result I had a rotational fracture of vertebrae 3 and 4) there is definitely a difference between people who are reckless and people who have poor technique.

I only started skiing again about 7 years ago (after a break of 15 years) and most of my issues are due to being terrified of someone skiing into me again whilst out of control. The top of Piste Henri is one of my least favourite places to ski in EK when everyone is piling off the top of the mountain. On most of the rest of the pistes I'm fairly ok now and we don't ski in busy weeks anyway.

I have a couple of friends who started skiing around the same time as me but they've taken minimal lessons (and go down reds in groups with friends) but I can see on their FB videos they don't have amazing technique. I'm not the best skier but TDC is making me a lot better than I was!

I've had a LOT of lessons but mainly because I have to improve my confidence due to what happened to me previously. It's expensive to take a lot of privates so I can see why people don't."

THANKS EVERYONE - some really good replies there... music to my ears much of that. There are lots of reasons and solutions and blame comes from many directions... its an issue that is not gonna go away... I just get annoyed when I see it day after day after day... sometimes in lesson environment you have people that want cheap fixes and you have to explain that they are asking for the impossible. Hey ho! Its a tricky one. I guess as someone who started the 'hard' way (sound like an old git here dont I!) that I can appreciate through those experiences and the training I went through just HOW MUCH there really is to skiing and all the facets of it.

Secondly, the black and yellow posts

Yes they indicate dangers on the hill but in this PARTICULAR case - this black and yellow post notes a chain point / winch point for the piste bashers to hoist themselves up and down on the slopes above the folie where its too steep to do so without a winch safely!

Thirdly, where am I EXACTLY

Well there is a clue in the top right of the photo - I'm indoors... yes the general location most people eluded to in the area of the top of Solaise looking towards the Mattis etc - thats all right but I'm actually in the gents at the top of the solaise gondola looking out the window there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An early one again

Roll on the arrival of this door gate thing as once again Ben was up early ... I spent a couple of hours with him on the sofa dozing (read that as containing him so he didnt wake everyone else in the house up!)

Clare was out teaching all day so after getting everyone sorted and the house sorted out e.g. the washing on I took both the kids swimming... then home for lunch and then most of the afternoon and early evening was spent with an old acquaintance of mine and his young family who now live in the USA but are over on holiday visiting his mother who has a place out here....

I am still recovering from that as the house was a bomb site after that was all over - but enjoyable non the less catching up... ha ha!

In local news they are saying that the resort is looking at 70% occupancy this week which makes it reasonably busy but it shouldn't be too bad thankfully!

I also hear that the resort have / are using some cleaner version of diesel this Winter that is both odourless, colourless but also costs more - all part of trying to be more environmentally friendly - hmmmm at least its something I suppose!

I suppose that about covers it for today... sorry totally lacking in inspiration this evening and even Radio Val didnt have a good photo to use this evening and am lacking anything of my own - so I'm afraid its words only this evening which is a rarity for me.

TTFN
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve Angus, "Well there is a clue in the top right of the photo - I'm indoors... yes the general location most people eluded to in the area of the top of Solaise looking towards the Mattis etc - thats all right but I'm actually in the gents at the top of the solaise gondola looking out the window there!"

Love a loo with a view - Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with all the comments about crap skiers going too fast, selfie sticks, bragging about speeds and distance covered as recorded by apps. Heard and seen it all during the past very busy week in Paradiski.
My two granddaughters refuse to go to group ski lessons so their Dad has spent hundreds on private lessons. At the end of one lesson the 8 year old told me that I should keep my arms closer to my body. This is a fault I have been aware of for years, having been told by more than one instructor or guide. Apparently the 8 year old has been copying me very accurately during the week and the instructor told her this was what she needed to improve. I have been learning to ski for more than 50 years and have booked an off-piste instruction holiday next month.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will it snow again

It was another early start (come on Amazon get delivering please) with Ben BUT the good news was that the new special clock for Olivia arrived so Ben can have her old 'Grow Glock' in his bedroom so hopefully he will only get out of bed when the sun (on his clock) comes up - hmmm wishful thinking I think! Anyway Clare was off out working so we had a very lazy morning - barely getting out of our pj's until near lunchtime - now that IS RARE!

I took all the Xmas decor down and away and some other odd jobs including watching the cricket in the background (and later in the day the ski racing too).

Clare messaged me about something which got me thinking and that is our responsibility in terms of the environment... I mentioned yesterday about the bio friendly fuel for the buses well today it is the subject of private lifts to the slopes from within the resort... yes I understand walking with the gear and in boots is a pain etc but there is the plentiful and free aforementioned buses. However Clares clients are staying at the Blizzard hotel on the high street and right opposite the bus stops and only a 2 mins walk from the slopes.... however that did not stop the clients asking for the free PRIVATE shuttle from the hotel to the slopes - takes longer the drive there than it would take to walk (or even call for the lift!). So makes me think how ridiculous it is!

Anyway she was back at lunchtime and the kids had a nice sleep all before we headed out for one of Bens friends birthday parties.... that was nice seeing the kids and seeing the carnage unfold... good cake though! Ha ha!

The slalom over in Croatia didn't produce the result that Dave Ryding was after but hey ho - another time Dave! Meanwhile the cricket is going well - hope I haven't jinxed it now!

Meanwhile on the mountain here conditions are still good, the sun continues to shine but it might possibly just snow at the end of the week - hopefully - has been ages!

One thing that has been a constant today is friends, family and associates all mentioning the article on the BBC website about a couple of young sisters fleeing to Val from the Nazi's in WW2 - good chance you will have seen the article about it - an interesting read if you haven't!

Incorporated in the article is plenty of old photos Val related - fascinating! So thanks to the BBC for these photos!

This is probably around about the top of the Village chairlift of new!

Just missing the Datcha and Glacier chairs and restaurant from this photo!

Look they even had the bus station in the same place then - well sort of!

One final interesting photo...

This is the swimming pool we swim in down here in La Daille in the Summer! Don't think ill be going in today!

TTFN
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@muppet, I've just seen your message. Hope you had a great Christmas and New year.

I was on a beach in Thailand so was avoiding the forum. It just didn't feel right reading about huge dumps of snow, in 34degC of sunshine snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The BBC article for those who missed it

Quote:
Val d'Isere: The doctor who hid a Jewish girl - and the resort that wants to forget

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50828696

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 7-01-20 9:55; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller - thanks - good point to post that! Ha ha

Experts

No need to cry about spilt milk is there... oh yes another early start - come on Amazon come true on your promised delivery tomorrow please!

So being term time again it was easy this morning - Olivia on the school bus and then with Clare on a later start she took Ben to creche!!! yay!

I met my am lesson of a couple of mid aged ladies - one had done a 'learn to ski in a day' (ed: god I hate that notion of a product as its rather misleading!!!) and the other a week as a kid - hmmmm that could be an interesting mix!!! Anyway we headed to the magic carpets straight away and it was not long until they were developing there skills ready to stand them in good stead to tackle the Madelaine... ultimately we got a couple of laps on the Madelaine and they did really well. In the lovely sunshine it was a lovely morning and there were some happy campers by the end of the session!

I headed home at lunchtime - no lesson booking this afternoon and it was lovely and quiet as Clare was working all day... fantastic. Some cricket, a snooze on the sofa and a few little jobs made it a very quiet afternoon before collecting the kids and starting the evening routine!

One thing that made me laugh again today was the phrase that popped up as it SOOOO often does.... (delete as appropriate) "I / my friend / my husband / my son..... is a very good skier". If I had a pound for every time I heard that I would be a very rich man. Anyway it got me thinking about how many people either class themselves or friends / family would classify them as 'expert' level - not sure what would have you as an expert really! Anyway I bet a pound that somewhere in the region of 80% of people would place themselves in the advanced / expert bracket... I reckon if you asked instructors etc to assess those same people it would be somewhere around about 1% - incredible!

Anyway a full day teaching tomorrow so gotta get some sleep as I am sure it will be an early start once again - arghhhh.

Just love the look of freshly pisted slopes dont you?

The magic carpet was swamped first thing - not!

The Val pisteurs have been talking about lots of creepers that have dropped recently - so be aware watch out for those cracks and temperatures and of course the all important orientation!

TTFN
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus,

Re 'Experts' - I'm sure at the start of each season you'll still hear newbie seasonnaires telling anyone who'll listen as to how great they are on the slopes (usually including comments along the lines of 'I was the best skier/in the race team at XYZ Uni/ABC public school'). You don't hear it from them so much after they finally get their ski-pass from their employer & either whack themselves trying to prove it (and are then usually on the medevac home) or realise the standards in resort are much higher than they've experienced before & eat humble pie. rolling eyes

Re creep, more photos here:-
https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/photos/pcb.3279246215483202/3279245488816608/?type=3&theater
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Angus wrote:
The top of Piste Henri is one of my least favourite places to ski in EK when everyone is piling off the top of the mountain.

I couldn't agree more with this - having done that run at least 3 or 4 times during a holiday week at the end of the day, the top bit is absolute carnage, especially when you get every Tom, Dick and Harry piling down that narrow chute at the top off to the right of the Tufs chair.

I resort to either pulling up by the wooden fence and rest for a few minutes and wait for a gap, or just keep to one side in the decent snow (not the scrappy ice / hardpack in the middle) and just straightline it and snowplough occasionally to control my speed - not the most elegant way to get down but at least I'm in control!

After you get past that and to the top of Crocus (the drag strip as I like to call it), it widens out and the majority of schools and people with more gear than idea keep to one side leaving the free side as fair game (until you rejoin the melee at the top of Bollin).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenzie wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Re 'Experts' - I'm sure at the start of each season you'll still hear newbie seasonnaires telling anyone who'll listen as to how great they are on the slopes (usually including comments along the lines of 'I was the best skier/in the race team at XYZ Uni/ABC public school'). You don't hear it from them so much after they finally get their ski-pass from their employer & either whack themselves trying to prove it (and are then usually on the medevac home) or realise the standards in resort are much higher than they've experienced before & eat humble pie. rolling eyes

Really? Standards in resort are not very high. Steve only puts 1% in the advanced bracket, so it is likely that the skiers to whom you refer are well within their rights to describe themselves as 'great'. If you can ski half decently you're in the top 5-10% of skiers on a piste.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@Steve Angus,

Really? Standards in resort are not very high. Steve only puts 1% in the advanced bracket, so it is likely that the skiers to whom you refer are well within their rights to describe themselves as 'great'. If you can ski half decently you're in the top 5-10% of skiers on a piste.

Sorry, should have clarified that by 'standards in resorts' I was thinking as an (ex) seasonnaire. If you add in the holidaymakers then, yes, their performance looks a lot better.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 8-10-20 7:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Kenzie - thats about the measure of it... also applies around every single chalet meal table out there too! As I say pretty much every other day I hear about the 'amazing' husband / son / wife / friend / relative in their party! ha ha
Fionelo - good work!
Mogmogmog - dont like hearing about panic attacks related to a piste - hope you overcome the fear again soon!

Colder

With a punchy wind from the north today and air temps colder anyway it added to gather to make it feel a heck of a lot colder than it has been! But that was the least of my worries as Ben was AGAIN up early - this time he bypassed our bedroom and got into Olivias bed!!!! So we awoke to her coming to tell us this - and the rest is history. However the good news is that this afternoon Bens new stair gate thing arrived and I have installed it this evening - so fingers crossed tomorrow am shouldn't be too painful anymore!!!

I dropped Ben at creche then headed to the meet point and i was skiing with a regular - a lady I teach once a year at this time - she alternates the lessons between her and her sister on alternating days! Anyway we brushed up a couple of things that she had gotten a little rusty with since last year and it was a positive session getting her back to where she had been last year. We did a couple of laps on the Arcelle in really good conditions and then finished with a descent down the Rhone Alps - awesome skiing by her - I realised how far she has come in the last few years!

Lunch was a slightly longer break than normal as the pm lesson had a shifted start time. But that gave me a chance to catch up on a couple of emails.

The afternoon was spent with a nice Irish guy and much of what I taught was the same as the morning and I was really impressed with how quickly he changed!

I got home and managed to catch the riveting last hour or so of the cricket and what a finish - and how says test cricket is boring... when I'm old and retired I'm going to join the Barmy Army on a tour somewhere like SA! Anyway back to reality - it was awesome to tune in whilst I fitted Bens gate thing!

I am also looking forward to hearing / seeing the notes from the town council meeting this evening - it looks like one of the agenda points is to authorise this years tranche of compensation to a group of co-owners who live in a block near the bottom of the Bellevarde Express chairlift - they are getting compensation for noise pollution (of all things) from the STVI for the noice from the Bellevarde Express chair - well I never - this country never fails to amaze me sometimes!

Tomorrow the weather should once again be 'same as, same as' and the much promised possible dusting of snow at the end of the week might just be clouds now - booo!!! The unseasonably warm weather continues!

TTFN
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, ‘...when I'm old and retired I'm going to join the Barmy Army on a tour somewhere like SA! ‘

snow conditions
... Smile Sounds like a lyric from ‘When I’m 64’ by The Beatles.

Hope there’ll still be 5 day tests by then. New Zealand is the one if you can! Or Australia if you don’t mind the sledging.

SA is great too and maybe it will get safer. But currently you have to watch your back more than a home run down Piste Henri during Paris or Oxbridge week.
Smile
ski holidays
Mogmogmog wrote:
@Fionelo - ok I'm glad it's not just me that hates that bit of Piste Henri. I love a cut down Crocus, that's a nice slope. Or better still if we have time to just go down the back of Borsat and take the other route into Tignes (but we need time on a lesson to do that as it takes longer).

I'm not sure if I could go down the top of Henri at the moment without my instructor (but I will try - just need to be in the right mindset on the day). I've had my skies run over and seen a few people crash down there, which led to me having a big panic attack 2 years ago at the top of Crocus. Urgh that's brought back some memories!

I now just see it as a thing that has to be done to get to the better bits! Your experiences bring to mind one Thursday afternoon last year - it was the last circuit of the day and the missus was quite tired after having a solid morning of ski school and most of an afternoon of getting back from Val D. We'd got off Tufs and were immediately bombarded by other skiers, as well as the odd boarder just to mix things up a bit. Halfway down, the missus caught an edge while attempting to avoid someone else cutting her up, and was thrown straight into the path of a rather obnoxious boarder going way too fast for the conditions who, rather than checking to see if she was OK, cleared off into the distance knowing full well he'd just caused her to bail fairly hard. After making sure she was alright and able to ski, I immediately gave chase (I'd put up with enough bad skiing during the week to let this one slide... pun intended Toofy Grin). Safe to say when I caught up with him, I tore him several new ones after spraying him good and proper (he was a Brit thus making it a lot easier to get my point across!).
ski holidays
Fionelo wrote:
Halfway down, the missus caught an edge while attempting to avoid someone else cutting her up, and was thrown straight into the path of a rather obnoxious boarder going way too fast for the conditions who, rather than checking to see if she was OK, cleared off into the distance knowing full well he'd just caused her to bail fairly hard. After making sure she was alright and able to ski, I immediately gave chase (I'd put up with enough bad skiing during the week to let this one slide... pun intended Toofy Grin). Safe to say when I caught up with him, I tore him several new ones after spraying him good and proper (he was a Brit thus making it a lot easier to get my point across!).

Not sure if I am misreading that but it "sounds" like your wife hit the boarder rather than the other way round?
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
Fionelo wrote:
Halfway down, the missus caught an edge while attempting to avoid someone else cutting her up, and was thrown straight into the path of a rather obnoxious boarder going way too fast for the conditions who, rather than checking to see if she was OK, cleared off into the distance knowing full well he'd just caused her to bail fairly hard. After making sure she was alright and able to ski, I immediately gave chase (I'd put up with enough bad skiing during the week to let this one slide... pun intended Toofy Grin). Safe to say when I caught up with him, I tore him several new ones after spraying him good and proper (he was a Brit thus making it a lot easier to get my point across!).

Not sure if I am misreading that but it "sounds" like your wife hit the boarder rather than the other way round?

From what I saw, and I was a long way back at the time, she was hunched over (indicating a lack of confidence / impending bail) and then matey boarded about 6 inches in front of her skis and pretty much finished off the job despite having enough room to easily give her a few metres and pass behind her. Given the situation and the fact that she was on the floor fairly tearful, I definitely wasn't going to take her on in an public argument, mid-piste about who was at fault!

Either way, I was under the impression that the uphill boarder / skier has a duty to keep clear, or is this just an American thing / common sense?
latest report
Uphill boarder /skier responsible and everyone should stop after a collision. As in most aspects of life, practice doesn't consistently follow the rules.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
Uphill boarder /skier responsible and everyone should stop after a collision. As in most aspects of life, practice doesn't consistently follow the rules.

I think if I'd have quoted rule 5 while she was on the floor, I might as well have arranged my own transport back to the UK, moved out of the house and changed my identity just to avoid some of the fallout Sad
latest report
@Fionelo, understood.

My confusion was that your initial post suggested she was avoiding someone else and was thrown in front of the boarder...... which wouldn't really be his fault.

As mentioned above, uphill skier is generally responsible.
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
@Fionelo, understood.

My confusion was that your initial post suggested she was avoiding someone else and was thrown in front of the boarder...... which wouldn't really be his fault.

As mentioned above, uphill skier is generally responsible.

This only came from her account of the story as she said she could hear someone coming up behind her on her right so she turned towards the side of the piste to stop (well away from everyone) and thus caught an edge in the soft snow. At this point, I observed boarder to continue his line despite having ample room and time to pass behind her given his perceived skill, but still carried on to pass in front of her. I probably didn't write my initial post in a way which everyone else could understand seeing as though it happened in the space of a few seconds!
ski holidays

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 8-10-20 7:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Over the decades pistes have become very busy because most ski resorts have installed higher capacity lifts and bulit more accommodation in order to boost revenues.

Should ski resorts now employ "piste patrollers" who can confiscate lift passes of reckless skiers/boarders?
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:

Should ski resorts now employ "piste patrollers" who can confiscate lift passes of reckless skiers/boarders?

Yes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
Over the decades pistes have become very busy because most ski resorts have installed higher capacity lifts and bulit more accommodation in order to boost revenues.

They already do this in the US, and other piste users actively avoid others due to the threat of insurance claims / being sued to high heaven.
snow report
Hi all, I’ve finally held my nerve and not booked accommodation for next week (ski Sunday to tuesday) I just have flights to Geneva and a car. I’m favouring val d’Isère over the resorts closer to Geneva as I guess piste conditions are better plus snow at village level (which is nice). So is the extra drive worth it? I was favouring les arcs previously due to the tree runs but blue skies are looking likely now (is that a risky assumption?) I’m hoping to book accommodation tonight or tomorrow. Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
snow conditions
@Fionelo,

I thought they had "piste patrollers" in the US but I think their litigious nature is a step too far.

@jakemanc,

The weather is difficult to forecast. Currently the snow level is fine for Val d'isere @ 1850 metres above sea level. It may not be so good at lower levels eg Arcs 1800. There have been high temperatures for a number of weeks all over Europe. I would drive the extra 30 minutes up from Bourg St Maurice to VDI.

For accommodation you may have an issue trying to get accommodation for 3 days, try Kim at "Simply Val d'isere".
snow conditions
jakemanc wrote:
Hi all, I’ve finally held my nerve and not booked accommodation for next week (ski Sunday to tuesday) I just have flights to Geneva and a car. I’m favouring val d’Isère over the resorts closer to Geneva as I guess piste conditions are better plus snow at village level (which is nice). So is the extra drive worth it? I was favouring les arcs previously due to the tree runs but blue skies are looking likely now (is that a risky assumption?) I’m hoping to book accommodation tonight or tomorrow. Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

I'd definitely go with Val particularly if you've never been before ... can I please ask what level / type of skier are you?
ski holidays
@welshflyer,

I was thinking more about the drive difference between the northern resorts (megeve, avoriaz etc) and whether the couple hrs more drive would be with it?

Airbnb seems to have some good options currently Very Happy
snow conditions
@franga,

I have skied val a few times along with les arcs ...... they are both great as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve skied lots before including seasons so I’m ok. For this trip we’re hoping for some good piste cruising with some sunshine!
ski holidays
PeakyB - cheers good insider info!
Fionelo "Either way, I was under the impression that the uphill boarder / skier has a duty to keep clear, or is this just an American thing / common sense?" - its both common sense and a 'rule' of the mountain (not legally enforceable unfortunately in reality much of the time!) that we all 'agree' to when we step into our skis / boards etc. As PeakyB says "Uphill boarder /skier responsible and everyone should stop after a collision.[/b]" - the police can chose to prosecute if they think someone is at fault (certainly here in France) and doesn't stop at the scene of an accident! Unfortunately the notion as GreenDay says that "As mentioned above, uphill skier is generally responsible." is commonly misinterpreted when people allege 'cutting up,' 'stopping suddenly,' 'making an erratic turn' etc etc etc. People dont realise that there is no exception to the rule - the downhill person will always have right of way its up to everyone behind to make allowances no matter what! Its this common misunderstanding that allows people to think they are not in the wrong unfortunately!
Mogmogmog - terrible story and fear not I understand the fear is real... I spend MUCH of my time dealing with nervousness. I find it impossible trying to tell some people HOW frightened others can be on the slopes for whatever reason... I also have my mantra that WHENEVER on a busy slope or whatever like the 'Zone tranquil' here in val that you 'half your speed then half it again'. The impact people can have on others unknowingly is massive... often if I'm teaching teenagers or whomever who have learnt as kids I spend much time teaching them to respect others as they will NEVER know what it is like to learn as an adult!
welshflyer - this is unfortunately what is happening with things like modern lifts... its no coincidence that people travelling more miles cause of faster lifts leads to (amongst other things) less rest time on lifts etc and more injuries etc Of course pistes get busier too! Id be keen for people to be monitored on the slopes for behaviour yes - however the problem is that its quite subjective and WHO does the patrolling and who pays for it!!!! They do it in Australia and New Zealand too Fionelo.
jakemanc - what welshflyer says!

Crafty

Well the kids were the stars of the day this end for me... firstly it took Ben 45 mins attempting to get out of his room this morning... Clare and I (and Olivia to her immense credit) kept quiet trying in hope that he would give up shouting to us and instead 'just play' with his toys.... anyway 45 mins of trying and he worked it out - a box on the ground to give him a leg up - crafty.... but didnt matter by this stage as it was time to get up anyway by this time!

Room was a tip though!

He even took of his (dry overnight thankfully) nappy and put it on the side too!

Anyway Clare was not teaching today and instead took Olivia out for a long ski but not until Mrs Snow Trax had dropped their dog off as she needed to go to the doctors to have her hand looked at as it appeared broken from a fall walking about town! I have seen the photos and videos and I am [b[one hell of a proud dad this evening[/b] as Clare skied Olivia up and down the Arcelle, the Plan M red down the front onto Rhone Alps and onto Combe Martin and then headed over to Bellevarde side to have lunch at the Marmottes. Super proud as she made really nice controlled turns etc... I posted a video of her skiing to Instagram and also to Twitter! Wont bore you with why this is 'good' skiing but it has a lot of good elements!

Talking of good skiing - 7th for Dave Ryding this evening - good on you Dave!

Talking of weird skiing - Clare got this photo of naked skiers defending the Face yesterday pm - students eh!!!!!

Meanwhile the pisteurs have been having to keep pistes such as Super L and the Santons closed cause of overhanging avalanche danger... you should check out the video on Radio Val http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/upload_vids/2020-01-08%20plaque%20de%20réptation%20L.mp4 but amazing close up shots from the pisteurs like this one:

Right think thats all for now,

TTFN
snow report
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

Talking of weird skiing - Clare got this photo of naked skiers defending the Face yesterday pm - students eh!!!!!

Laughing Good grief...one of them not wearing a helmet!
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

That whole photo is Darwinism at it’s finest.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

That whole photo is Darwinism at it’s finest.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
That was nice

Yay Ben stayed in his room - still trashed it again but at least he stayed in his room. However he did wake all the rest of us up and Olivia did 'interact' with him a little from her bed so this evening I come up with an extra system - a bunny to keep his door close to closed but open enough so he doesn't feel trapped (well at least we are hoping this anyway!). It should helpfully mean in the am that he is not able to stand in his doorway and shout for attention but it is hopeful that he will more containted and therefore we will all get a little more rest - fingers crossed!

So with Olivia on the school bus I took Ben to creche and then headed to the slopes... for some reason it seemed a tiny little bit busier today on the slopes. I headed up there Bellevarde side to work on moguls with L and she was on fire today... my usual laps on the Tommeuse were the norm... We witnessed multiple rotations of the SAF chopper that was perched atop the Toviere as there had been a collision involving several people on the flats down on the creux piste... that flat area is an area that people like to put their foot down on and is always a fairly lethal area of the mountain with a fair few injuries and collisions over the years! Anyway there was many pisteurs in the area for a fair while and the chopper finally managed to shuttle everyone safely away but it took a good hour / hour and half in total. Anyway the skiing was good and I had a fun am.

At lunchtime I changed quickly and dashed down the valley to collect a click and collect from Super U and a couple of other jobs before coming back up and putting it all away before collecting Ben and doing the evening chores... it has been a whirlwind of an afternoon - ha ha!

So tomorrow is my last day and then I am back in the UK for a week so tomorrow will be my last update posting for a week. This will be the first time I have taken more than a few days break (and that only happened once before I think!) from this blog in the time i have been doing it BUT since ill be in the UK packing my mums house up for the week I really will NOT have my eye on the snow ball (excuse the pun!) here!

Ill finish with a nice photo from today!

TTFN

P.S. We might have a fluttering of snow later tomorrow but more likely it will just be cloudy before even more sunny days in the days after that into next week (when will it snow next!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy