Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
We arrived in La Daille early this evening to La Tov
Looks like a very busy week ,and not sure there will be much WC action tomorrow.
At least if there is my Balcony has a great view.

Been a long day and Knackered now.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Steve Angus,

How frustrating for everyone, spectators, racers and especially all of you who have put so much effort into trying to put the World Cup Races on. While we punters were warm indoors you and the resort staff were out in the cold early in the mornings and late in the evening working hard to try and get the race tracks prepared.

We can't control the weather but thank you all for your hard work over the last 2 weeks.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
harvsurrey - hope you enjoyed the first day - bet you can't see that much from your balcony - ha ha!
welshflyer - well on behalf of the resort 'thank you' - yes lots of work (for both the mens last week and womens this) ultimately to no avail - try again next year. It has been unfortunate but thats the way it goes sometimes!

Snow and wind

As promised the snow and wind raged through the night more or less and the reports that the max winds atop the glacier were over 250km/h was a little shocking to hear - when we get up there (as in the pisteurs) I suspect they might have a surprise in terms of lift damage possibly and certainly the amount of snow moved around will be incredible! Even lower altitudes there was quite a storm to deal with - check out this pisteurs video from first light this morning atop the solaise:

https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/videos/521921788534577/

Anyway I was teaching this morning and Clare this afternoon so I gathered myself together and went to meet young 'S' whom I have taught quite a lot before. I did do a Periscope broadcast (well actually it was 2 broadcasts as the first one cut out half way through for some reason) where you can get a feel for what it was like out there! Anyway with limited lift openings I decided to bus it to La Daille to try and get some turns down through the tree runs but as soon as we got there we discovered that the gondola had closed because of the wind and I was not about to take 'S' up the funi into that wind and especially on his first day so we went back on the bus into town and headed for the village to do a run or two. An amazing hot chocolate (very expensive mind you) at the l'Etincelle mid lesson went down well as it was semi damp out there and all the snow was in every nook and cranny you can imagine on a day like this too! So after that we fitted in another couple of laps on the Rogoney and found some fun lines in the trees but the snow was deep for little legs! No sooner than that but we had to head back down to La Daille as they were having lunch at the new Tuffs restaurant - yes I spent quite a fair while on the bus today!

With the lesson over I headed back into town to the Blue Note as Papa Noel was visiting and all the little ones and mums and dads were in attendance so I needed to go help get them back afterwards whilst Clare went out teaching - you can but imagine how excited they were.

Back at home after lunch Ben slept whilst Olivia and I played together and listened to some Christmas music which was lovely as we watched the storm raging outside... and the rest of the evening has been normal with kids bath time etc etc.

Meanwhile on the World Cup there has been very little happening apart from clearing up and this is a little photo of the 'action' from today.

https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/videos/760252591152635/

...all I can say is that I am glad it was not my day to do duty - phew!

I did forget my photo taking today so a photo from Radio Val will have to do I am afraid!

So tomorrow the weather is going to be awful again but the show must go on as I am teaching all day! Wish me luck!

TTFN
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crikey. Properly snowing!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And if we thought it was windy yesterday its worse this morning
Its hellish out there at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@harvsurrey, yep. It looked like it was going to brighten up for a bit. But alas no, it seems to have got worse again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2 in a row

It was a little bit like groundhog day today as the wind was still howling all night long and into the morning... in fact it was so stormy out there that it actually woke me up about 5am and THAT is rare as I sleep through everything normally!

So it was not looking too hopeful.

Anyway needs must as I had to get to drop Ben off at creche and Olivia at the Village des Enfants. However trying to man handle 2 small children and all the kit, with their kit and sledges through a blizzard is quite a unique experience but not for the faint hearted! On the way I got a message through from my morning lesson lot basically saying that the weather was not to their liking so they were taking a duvet day - but hey they are here for a couple of weeks so can do that! So that suddenly opened up a chunk of time and no sooner had that message come through but the pm had some changing to be done due to an illness... so it was all systems go for a couple of hours trying to sort the kids out and keep on top of 'changes'.

I headed home and to be honest given the weather being indoors was not the end of the world! It was also quite useful as I had some admin that needed catching up on... including accepting (well I think its happening now I have not heard back from the agent) an offer from a buyer for my mums flat in Poole... so the implications of that are that I need to head back to the UK for a week in January to basically pack everything up having done about half of it during the Summer.... so that will be fun.

The weather did calm down somewhat in the afternoon and there are glimmers of normality out there... it should be better overnight then get more intense tomorrow again - arghh! They reckon we have had about 1m of snow down here in town and yet again with the 200+km/h winds overnight at altitude it is going to be a very interesting landscape when we finally get up there... apart from a few pisteurs that need to go up to do the avalanche clearance no-one has been higher than about the Folie (they managed to get the gondola open this afternoon). There is going to be a lot of clearing to be done up there! Even without the bad weather tomorrow it will take a while to get everything back up and running!

They are limiting the amount of movement of people around town and the road to Fornet is totally closed this evening for fear of avalanche risk. Lots of safety measures are in place.

In local news there is a very famous celebrity in town this week (well she's famous if you are of a certain age) - Margot Robbie - you have to google her... when I did I realised how famous she is! Anyway she is in town this week.

A few photos to finish the update with:

Quite an accumulation on snow trax balcony there!

Quite a large snow drift there

TTFN
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

Margot Robbie - you have to google her... when I did I realised how famous she is! Anyway she is in town this week.

She'll be feeling the chill compared with Queensland and Los Angeles. Keep a tub of Vicks VapoRub handy in case she books a lesson wink

Happy Christmas to you all. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Angus wrote:
In local news there is a very famous celebrity in town this week (well she's famous if you are of a certain age) - Margot Robbie - you have to google her... when I did I realised how famous she is! Anyway she is in town this week.

Now that is someone i'd be all to happy to share a cramped chairlift with!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got out last knockings after the La Daille bubble opened and apart from the wind i felt it was a better experience than this morning.
Ton of wet snow now its warmed up and its still dumping
Glad we are back at the end of feb as i have not skiied much thus far.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeakyB ha ha. Yes thanks.
swskier - indeed!!!
harvsurrey - yes limited skiing this week but the weather will change for the better now on in this week - fill your boots

At least it wasnt windy

The wind calmed down overnight but the snow continued to fall into the morning... There was lots of blasting going on from first light and it continued all day long! I got Olivia to kids club then headed to the Gourmandine to meet my am lesson. It was obvious that we were going to have to head to La Daille to get the first lift openings and also to counteract the heavy snowfall at altitide so we could see where we were going.

I am guessing that everyone in the resort assumed that when they looked out the window this morning that everything was going to be limited and turned over... so that meant we had the place to ourselves for the first hour or so.

The first run down to La Daille from the top of the gondola was just powder turn after powder turn but as the laps increased it got (not surprisingly) more and more churned up and lumpy and at the same time more and more people were getting on the hill so busy also!

So we took shelter from the very heavy snowfall (thankfully still no wind (that came much later in the day!)) in the folie for a hot choc. After the break I decided to take a run on the Mont Blanc and it was dead up there - just seeing anything was the tricky thing. Anyway the kids did well and after dropping off at the Folie so they could have lunch there my colleague, Lena, and I took a lap through the fresh powder in the trees down to La Daille and it was awesome!

The afternoon I spent some time catching up on a few jobs and then headed into town to collect the kids.

This evening has mainly compromised of a nice family meal and then trying to get over-excited kids ready for bed - phew made it. The mince pie and carrot are now waiting and hopefully come the morning the big man will have visited!

The plan tomorrow is a nice family day which will include a trip to Blue Note for locals drinks and nibbles and of course presents and xmas dinner.

I think I will get an early night as I am sure the kids will have us up early tomorrow - arghhh!

Weatherwise the snow has continued all day and it was only this evening that the wind got up again... however tomorrow the sun should be shining bright and it will mainly be that for the rest of the week but unfortunately the temperatures will get high (over 3000m freezing level later in the week!). However for now some stability finally!

Somewhat quiet and powdery first thing on the verte this am!

There is a car under there.

TTFN
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Must be wonderful to do a run and ski freely for once! Especially in great conditions.

Merry Christmas Steve and to Clare, Ben and Olivia
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Merry Christmas Steve hope you and the family have a peaceful day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best thread on snowheads , merry Xmas Steve and Clare, Ben & Olivia. Hopefully will ski with you again!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HoneyBunny - yes it is! And thanks - same to you.
harvsurrey - thanks - you too.... not sure about peaceful but nice!
kitenski - again thanks and yes one day - get it in the diary!

Merry Christmas

The day didnt start too early actually (I think the later night meant they slept in later) but we started with stockings, much excitement seeing that Santa had eaten the mince pies etc and then a family breakfast of scrambled eggs!

After a very lazy couple of hours - with maybe a glass of bucks fizz and some Xmas music, we headed to the Blue Note for the traditional 'locals invite' morning.... they provide the bubbles and everyone brings a dish... it doubles up as not only a good social and catch up but also a nice lunch too before the main event later that evening. Someone brought in a HUGE plate of 'hot out the oven' pigs in blankets! Anyway it was really nice for an hour or so before the kids got a little OTT... and it got too busy! But some yummy nibbles had by all.

When we got home Ben had a sleep and Olivia watched a film and then we had the main event later on... if only Ben behaved it would have been perfect. However otherwise Hu.Ski provided an amazing Xmas lunch with all the trimmings and it was super yummy!

A few more presents, another glass or two and another film finished off the day... but boy it is a tiring one with young kids as they are SOOOOOOO full of energy all day long! I was glad to get them into bath and into bed that was for sure!

Tomorrow it is back to work!

It was a lovely sunny day out there today and the first time we have seen the sun for several days - they did some heli PIDA blasting first thing and the whole resort was pretty much bombed to get things open quickly and I think those that went up had a wonderful day. However it was certainly warmer during the day than it has been but the temps have plummeted overnight so I think the snow will dry out quite nicely overnight and the off piste will actually be better tomorrow than it was today and with descent weather tomorrow it should be a descent day!

The Fornet has been cut off for the last few days but finally they got the road open as it was deemed safe enough from the risk of avalanches from above!!!! The generalised risk dropping to 3 from a high 4 that it had been!

The weather for the next few days generally shows increasing temps and this could be linked to a return of the Foehn wind but generally sunny! All in all the weather has been most unlike December for the last few weeks!

Right one more drink and then off to bed.

TTFN

P.S. Sorry forgot to get a photo today (of anything useful here anyway) so will use this photo from the Val pisteurs showing the view tonight of the Refuge de Solaise - wonderful evening to be up there I am sure!

snow report
Merry Christmas to you, Clare and the family.
snow conditions
Merry Christmas Steve and family
snow conditions
Happy Chrimbo Steve & family, Muppet, Snow Trax and all of our La Daille neighbours.
snow report
lynnecha, Tazz2bme and bar shaker - thanks so much folks!

Great pistes

I think I ate too much yesterday as I had a very full stomach all day - bordering on the line of pain but that will teach me - ha ha!

Anyway the alarm went off nice and early as Ben decided he was ready for an early start and the day had started.

Getting Olivia to the Village kids club she saw a fair few of her friends which cheered her up and with the sun shining (albeit a little nippy to start the day off) she was sure to have a fun day. As part of her afternoons at the Village she is having her ski lessons... once again she is in 3eme etoile so basically trying to get good at parallels on red slope terrain. Hopefully after a few attempts she should pass that which will then allow her into the Club des Sports from next season onwards - thats the plan anyway!

Meanwhile I headed to meet my am clients for the kids session and we planned on a hot choc meet up at the Datcha so headed the Solaise way. It was a glorious morning with the sun shining bright and the pistes in amazing condition... it was a fun morning and the kids skied really well including their first descent down Plan M into town - bravo!

After lunch hour sandwich at the Sun Bar I met up for my afternoon lesson... a young guy on his honeymoon who is now a chef at a famous restaurant in Berkshire (no names) and before that was a professional road cyclist... he was somewhat competitive in a nice way. His wife was having lessons with Clare and she had skied for a few weeks whereas he was only 3 days into his skiing career. It turned out to be one of those lessons where he surpassed all expectations and for that little amount of experience I was TOTALLY blown away (you do get people like this sometimes). Anyway with very little experience under his feet and given his background he picked it up outrageously quickly. I gave him input and he changed immediately. Ultimately we took a trip down the top steep part of the OK....

By the end of the day the weather was moving in a little and a few flakes of snow were present but I dont think it will amount to much if anything at all!

I collected Ben and Clare got Olivia and then it was home and the usual process... Plenty of Xmas food to continue to plough our way through - arghh I just love it.

A few photos to ponder over now...

A mogul field of cars!

Glorious start to the day

The exposure on the photo is not ideal but there are 3 things to note from this photo - 1 easy'ish to identity, 1 harder and 1 really hard! What are they!

The magic carpet is totally buried

The pink cabin on the Olympic is a little too pink for my liking!

Plaques dropping out on south eastern facing places even here in the Jardins de Borsat!

TTFN
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, great pics!
Is the talk still of this being the best December for snow conditions for 25 years? snowHead
snow report
Windslab Or sastrugi?
Don’t know what the other two are snowHead
snow report
@bar shaker, Merry Christmas

@Steve Angus, Looks like you’ve had a nice but full Christmas, no doubt we’ll meet again soon.
snow report
@Steve Angus, terrain trap?
snow report
Some old avi debris in the foreground bowl, then in the far distance can’t work out if those are glide cracks or a skinning track!!
latest report
PeakyB I certainly think that for a December overall this is a cracker - whether the best I am not sure but the best I can remember in my years here yes! The actual opening weekend a few years back saw about 1m of snow fall so that was the best opening weekend I can remember but for a whole month this December must surely be the best
Peter S, HoneyBunny, kitenski - well yes I like your thinking and analysis... the 3 things to note as far as I am concerned... 1) lots of sastrugi and signs of wind scouring on the ridges so plenty of wind activity has been happening 2) the wind direction should have lead to the blasting in this bowl done by the pisteurs to lead to a slide or 2 but there isnt really an debris from the current round of snow - hmmm weird 3) the cloud - a sign of a weak drawing in of air from the south (weak retour trying to build - that never really developed in the end!)
muppet - yes I am sure!

Colder and snowier than anticipated

It certainly came as a surprise the amount of snow (about 10-15cm) and how cold it was today!

The usual start to the day with the kids and getting them off to creche etc and I found myself at the meeting point.

The plan was to head to Tignes and the mother of the kids of I am teaching had never been there so we had a plan to rendezvous at Grizzly's bar in Val Claret... the kids were excited as they love it when I take them over there!

When we got to the top of the Olympic it was apparent that the weather was a lot worse than it seemed - it was pretty windy and bleak but I've seen much worse! We battled our way across to Tignes and had a good lesson. The kids were not overly keen on the weather but there you go!

After a nice hot choc we made our way back to the Val side although young Sam wanted to come via the Col de Fresse and with the wind blowing it was not that nice a route with some polling required!

I took lunch at the Sun Bar and then by the time I came out for my pm session it was almost trying to clear up and had certainly stopped snowing - yay!

I headed up the Solaise side and initially there was no-one about but word spread about the improving conditions and by the end of the afternoon the slopes were very cut up and it was quite busy - oh well! Trying to work on dealing with lumps and bumps etc was a fun lesson to deliver and there were some positive changes but most importantly plenty to get on with working on!

I collected Ben whilst Clare got Olivia at the end of her week of ski lesson... she got very close to passing her 3 star this week in these tricky conditions - go girl go... next time!

Some more Christmas leftovers were on the menu before getting the kids into bed!

In local news it looks like there was a rescue in the Tour du Charvet yesterday with some persons including teens that basically got fatigued by the tricky snow down there meanwhile at the other end of the valley in the tunnels out of town someone had to pull a fire extinguisher to their car for fear of a car fire and that automatically shut the tunnel for a while whilst that was sorted out!

So as we finish Christmas week tomorrow we also welcome New Years week and the traffic forecast for tomorrow is 'heavy' - they reckon 35000 cars coming up the valley so there could very well jams so as always leave early or late and ditto for departure from town too!

I think thats all for now. Being a weekend day tomorrow Clare and I need to work out the kid logistics a little better tomorrow so as a result I am teaching in the morning only tomorrow!

TTFN

snow report
Cracker

As Clare was teaching this afternoon and me this morning it meant we did not have the normal rush to get ourselves AND the kids out the front door thankfully! It was little chilly due to the clear night but promised to warm up substantially. Being a Saturday it was always going to be quiet on the slopes and with the sun shining a special one and even more so with the fresh snow of yesterday (of recent!).

So I headed to the meeting point and needed to catch up with my colleague to chat through a few things so was nice and early!

The kids were on time and so we were off. We headed up Solaise and had the most amazing start to the day - pretty much the first down the Glacier Plan Millet piste - awesome... it was superb snow! It was time to take the kids onto the Arcelle as I knew it would be in great nick and I was not wrong. The thing about the Arcelle is that in the Spring time, timing is SOOOO crucial (too early and late in the day and its a nightmare)... during the Winter months it is often incredibly icey as 'pivot and skidder' skiers tackle the slope and 'holiday warriors' too. On top of that it does not get pisted very often SO basically what I am saying is that when all the stars align you gotta go ski it... today was a good one - I would say the best conditions I have skied the Arcelle ever!

We ended up doing Arcelle a few times and I really thought the kids were rocking! Good on ya.

After a hot choc at the Datcha we took a trip down the front and veered off to the Rhone Alps too - the snow was great, conditions perfect and kids on form - awesome stuff... tomorrow we are planning a trip to Brev and back! I have also told the parents that we will see if we can ski the Face this week too - hmmm fingers crossed!

I dashed home at lunchtime and Clare was out the door but the timings worked well as the kids (mine obviously) both took a well needed sleep and I had the luxury of being able to watch some ski racing on TV - yay!

The sun was shining hard and you have to make yourself appreciate that 'there will be another day' ha ha!

We had a couple of lazy hours when the kids woke before the usual evening chores and routine...

In local news they reckon this week will see about 16000 people staying in the resort which is over 92% occupancy (the 8% not occupied is mainly people that dont need to come at this time of the year but own places here - retirees and second home owners etc!).... this 92% figure is apparently (I'm not sure how as seems mighty high to me) 8% UP on the same week last year.... in short it is going to be a mega busy week on the slopes - arghhh!

Struggling for things to write about tonight so will sign off now and leave you with a couple of photos of the first lifts of the day when no one was about!

TTFN

snow report
The town have a new system for collating occupancy figures this season. I can’t remember the exact details but I think it was to bring everything inline with other towns in the area.

One thing we’ve noticed the past few days is illegally parked vehicles. Over 20 had been ticketed at the bottom of the Funival today. Yesterday we watched 2 cars get tickets on the Main Street and currently the buses have problems due to cars in the bus stops.
ski holidays
Bam school holidays hit

muppet - yes they do have a new way of calculating the attendance figures and it seems to make it easier to make sense of it but I dont know how the calculating does compare to what they did previously - perhaps that accounts for the 8% increase! Perhaps there are more badly parked cars - I haven't noticed as such but you could be right!

So after all the arrivals yesterday it was set to be a busy day on the mountain.... apparently there was something like 12 miles of traffic jams coming up the valley yesterday - eek!

Olivia was taken to the kids club by Clare whilst I waited for Kellie from [url]themoutainnanny.com[/url] to come and babysit Ben for the day.... but she was dead on time so I got off to meet the team for another day... we had a new addition today a friend of the kids but she was a top little skier so all good!

We got up the Olympic in really good time (always good to be ahead of the crowds on the first morning!) and made the dash for Tignes les Brev. Like yesterday the snow was in amazing condition and with the sun shining what was there not to like. So anyway a really good trip to Brev and back. We encountered some queues here and there but all in all pretty good going all things considered!

It was getting really warm by lunchtime - like early Spring conditions actually, very weird. It will continue that way for several more days to come. I even noticed this afternoon some warm point releases going off! However this melt freeze HAS allowed the solidification of the snow pack and the risk has dropped to 2 now which is positive - in fact I saw a field test this evening which suggested that the snow pack is bonding nicely all the way down to the ground now - even more positive!

One thing I certainly did notice was that once again it is 'crap skier' time of the season... everyone seems to be in a rush to straight line everything as quickly as possible to get to the next lift and in doing so miss the entire raison etre of skiing - the thing that will actually allow you to 'do more' on the mountain and that is actually turn well... its not just the young, the Brits or French but its a widespread epidemic... or perhaps I'm just getting old. Ive said it before but ill say it again - you really do hardly ever so 'good' skiers on the mountain - plenty of people that think they're the best thing since sliced bread but not that many that really are... dross after dross. Sorry folks just having a little rant there!

Anyway the afternoon was spent with an old client of mine and we had a nice ski about up towards the Val glacier and there was some brilliant snow up there - we had a lovely descent down Moraine in particular!

After skiing I collected Olivia and got home and relieved the babysitter before commencing the evening schedule! Ha ha! Olivia was overly tired so that spiced it up somewhat - arghh!

Anyway think thats all for now.

TTFN

Amazing views on the way to Brev this morning.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dear All, I couldn't quite figure out where to post this question; and the Val d'Isere resort thread was a few years dated Puzzled . If the post is indeed misplaced, would be great if the Admin could relocate it to the correct thread.

This year it will be our first time in Val d'Isere; we are lazy recreational skiers in our 40's. Is there a ski+boots depot (heating for boots a must) right at the Solaise valley station - or as close as possible?

Thank you.
snow conditions
@Odysseus, I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you looking to buy and shape some new boots? Or do you want to store boots overnight and put them on warm in the morning?
snow report
@thelem, clearly overnight storage and toasty warm boots
snow report
@holidayloverxx: exactly; and @thelem, to clarify my question if it's vague; we would like to store our skis and boots at or as close to the Solaise base station building as possible. We would prefer to have the boot storage to have a heating system of sorts for the boots, if possible.
ski holidays
@Odysseus, we are in town next week for the first time and I have booked ski and boot storage with “My Ski Case” - https://myskicase.com/www/ksc_info.php Not sure if they provide a boot heating system or how far away from Solaise valley station it is but I think it is relatively close to the pistes.
snow conditions
@1556garyt, looks like Skicase are opposite the Blue Note bar / ESF. In other words, short of actually being in a lift station, you're not going to get much closer to the bottom of the Solaise.
latest report
@Odysseus,

I believe that if you hire your skis and ski boots from the intersport shop adjacent to the nursery slopes you can leave your equipment there overnight. There's also a Snowberry ski hire shop at the Rond Point which may let you leave their hired equipment there overnight. That's only useful if you're hiring equipment.

If your accommodation is close to the main road through Val d'isere getting to the Solaise Lift is very easy. Walk in your ski boots carrying your skis to the nearest bus stop and use the free buses that take you to the Rond Point (through the road tunnel under the nursey slopes) then ski down to the Solaise Gondola or Olympique Gondola Lifts.

The buses will also take you to the Lifts in La Daiile, Le Laissanat and Le Fornet.

Do you know where you will be staying in Val d'isere?
snow report
Personally I think it's better to keep skis and boots with me because I may want to start or finish the day in La Daille or Le Fornet. The bus service works well.
ski holidays
@Jehu, +1. I would not wish to have to start or finish at solaise. Missing too much
snow report
Odysseus - yes as others have said you have rental shop options but the ski locker place you talk about is about as close as you are likely to get to the slopes really! If you are close to the main road then keep your boots / skis and take the free bus - runs VERY frequently during daylight hours and you can ski to / from where the buses pull in at various points around the resort... this 'Train Rouge' is a godsend and one of the best features of the resort IMO.

And repeat...

With the sun shining brightly the only real difference today was who I taught, where we went and that I had to drop Ben at creche first up! Gosh I hate it when the alarm goes off at an ungodly hour but hey thats the way it goes... we got everything done (it really is a like a military operation really in the mornings around here!) and I got Ben dropped at creche and made good time (being the Monday am I decided not to even try and get back on the bus after dropping Ben at creche at 0840'ish - there was no way I would squeeze on the bus I'm sure of it!)

So the kids and I headed the Fornet way and did some pretty gentle stuff... a hot choc at the Signal and then headed down the Foret black to finish (I was over stretching them before attempting the Face tomorrow with them - thats the plan!). They were rather tired by the end but did well!

I had an extended lunch break as was not starting the pm slot until much later in the day than normal so enjoyed the sun at the bottom of the Olympic. Anyway I met my pm lesson and it was good old 'H' who is now 11 and a strong little ripper - sweet little lad actually! He has 2 much older sisters so battles his corner well bless him! Anyway we headed Tignes way and went the 'wrong way around the World' as we say... so down to VC and then up Palafour before heading up Merles and across that way - it worked nicely! A nice trip to the Grand Motte too... still not been up the new cable car so must do that sometime!

It was a lovely afternoon blasting around with him as I ski with him and his sister quite often!

I got him back to the Ormullene where they are staying but ended up staying a little longer with him as it turns out he is a little apprehensive without his parents around - I never knew - bless him!

I finally got home about 1800 in the end and there was bypassing things like kids bath time before getting to now...

In local news I heard that a 60 year old Brit did us proud out here yesterday - getting so drunk that he was picked up at the end of the day down here in La Daille by the authorities as he was unable to communicate where he lived or anything - oh dear a good reflection on the Brits - doh!

They have improved the entrance to the zone tranquil atop the Solaise on the Madelaine that stops more idiots using it as a rat run - you now have to make an effort to actually get into the zone - perfect! Thanks Val for using your brains on this one!

Lovely up the Motte

Getting ready for the 'Party of the Year' at the Maison de Tignes.

TTFN
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:

In local news I heard that a 60 year old Brit did us proud out here yesterday - getting so drunk that he was picked up at the end of the day down here in La Daille by the authorities as he was unable to communicate where he lived or anything - oh dear a good reflection on the Brits - doh!

Clearly following the example set by the mayor.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Jehu, +1. I would not wish to have to start or finish at solaise. Missing too much
Many thanks to all who responded. Given your detailed information, it seems like it's best if we keep our skis/boots and leave them at the hotel; given that we will be staying 50 meters from the Intersport - which seems to be as close as it gets anyway. Many thanks - and Happy New Year to everybody! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy