Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Wonderful

Well the sun was shining brightly this morning and the temps are above seasonal norms and with no-one in resort the pistes were empty. Ben was packed off to creche (he's not going tomorrow as there is a strike so plans have been altered to cover childcare tomorrow) and then Clare went off for her course which left Olivia and I to have a fun ski morning together!

She is now skiing really well and if anyone follows my Instagram (I started that again today (@SteveAngusSnow)) you will see I posted a video of her skiing today - awesome, the parallels are pretty consistent even on steeper pistes now, rounded turns and controlled and continuous speeds... there is minimum skidding and the inside ski is now starting to do some work too. We worked a little on a few things including pole plants today to - go big girl, go!

So we headed up the La Daille Gondola, Tommeuses, skied the Piste H, then up Tichot and Grattalu before skiing all the way down to VC for a cuppa at The Corner (amazing food in there). Then went for a lap on Tuffs before skiing Piste H again and then lunch back at The Corner (Olivia had an amazing ham, eggs and chips). After all that she was tired so a final upload on Tuffs and ski down to the gondola to download to La Daille once again! It was a long but really special morning!

Needless to say Olivia slept for 2 hours when we got home as the worked well as shortly after Clare got home she took Olivia to the premiere in town of Frozen 2 and got home well after Olivias bedtime - bless.

So I managed to look at the new slope profiling for the descent to the Folie and ski it today.... so basically the Mont Blanc chairlift side of the piste has been sliced to make it a gradual gradient from further up to further down to the bottom of the chair there. Personally I dont think overall it will make to much difference to the Folie as you can cut high enough and see it early enough to get over to the Folie for the most part. There might be a little lost business but I dont think it will be too bad for them! However the new gradual gradient is awesome... I actually suspect that what will happen now is that EVERYONE will still funnel skiers left as you come down there making the rest of the piste on the 'blue' side of the slope less busy (it was always quieter anyway). But all in all I think it is good.... see what you think from my photo below.

The only annoying thing from the day was that I asked to do an 'expert' appearance on Talk Radio UK for a program they were going to be talking about slope safety. However the problem is that recording is happening when I am off to La Plagne on Friday evening for a Skiworld Tour Op avalanche talk I am presenting - darn it!

Hmmm I dont think anything else to report from today. Tomorrow I am on Ben duty then in the afternoon running an on snow transceiver training / practice session.

TTFN

So this is the new cut through down in La Daille - that skier (typical back seat skier there who would be way better of spending hours on green runs trying to improve his posture rather than bomb down a red run like a jerk!!!!) has taken the bit that is normally sheet ice and the cut through goes around the trees and brings you back to the piste coming towards you.

So the chair you can see is Mont Blanc and the base of Tommeuse behind. The 2 skiers (see told you pistes are deserted!) are funnelling down the new graded Verte. For the next 100m or so in the picture of old you would be polling along this section - but not now). The folie is over the ridge on the skiers right of this photo. I think this is a good change personally.

Olivias lunch of champions at The Corner.

TTFN
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My two less confident skiiers are delighted to hear about this cut through - they spend most of their time in the Tranquille area between Borsat, Fontaine Froid and this corner, but they hated the steep section above Folie. This is manna from heaven!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ham egg and chips look awesome
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MSG101 wrote:
My two less confident skiiers are delighted to hear about this cut through - they spend most of their time in the Tranquille area between Borsat, Fontaine Froid and this corner, but they hated the steep section above Folie. This is manna from heaven!

Where do they go next? ie if they take Mont Blanc lift, the blue down to Borsat chair is a bit steep for a nervous skier, and Verte down to La daille is very much condition dependant. Asking cos I expect Mrs endo will be spending a fair amount of time in this area also.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve Angus,

It must have been very quiet to get a seat inside the Corner.

I will no doubt pop in for lunch there next week. I love their pie, chips & peas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Where do they go next? ie if they take Mont Blanc lift, the blue down to Borsat chair is a bit steep for a nervous skier, and Verte down to La daille is very much condition dependant. Asking cos I expect Mrs endo will be spending a fair amount of time in this area also.

We stay in Val Claret; they have done the Verte to La Daille but not happy with the bottom section (another interesting diversion that Steve has shown us), but mainly they would go up to Toviere and take it easy back down again (it's a wide piste with places to rest) or up Mont Blanc for the short blue - wasn't icy when we were there, so easier to manage anyway. They do a lot of lapping up Borsat, down Fresse or down to Froid and up to Brevieres and down the top of Verte to Borsat again. It's a very happy playground for them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MSG101 wrote:
Quote:

We stay in Val Claret; they have done the Verte to La Daille but not happy with the bottom section (another interesting diversion that Steve has shown us), but mainly they would go up to Toviere and take it easy back down again (it's a wide piste with places to rest) or up Mont Blanc for the short blue - wasn't icy when we were there, so easier to manage anyway. They do a lot of lapping up Borsat, down Fresse or down to Froid and up to Brevieres and down the top of Verte to Borsat again. It's a very happy playground for them.

Stopping in Tignes that makes sense,
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steve Angus, I'm heading out to EK next thursday night, Skiing Friday-Monday. Hopefully it will still be quiet, but I'm guessing there will be an influx of people for the Criterium?. A question regarding this, is the Olympic cable car still open for downloading during the races? I'm asking in terms of getting from Tignes to Solaise. The people I'm with don't like Santons, so is the best route to download on Olympic or ski to La Daille and get the bus to Solaise bubble?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@FastCarver74,

The Olympic gondola (cable car) stays open to the public even when they are using the Face for the Men's World Cup races. They will be holding the GS and Slalom on the lower parts of the Face (14-15 Dec).

During the Men's Downhill World Championships in 2009 I stayed on the Olympic lift for a couple of complete circuits in order to get a different (aerial) view of the Downhill Race.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 5-12-19 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MSG101,

"They do a lot of lapping up Borsat, down Fresse or down to Froid and up to Brevieres and down the top of Verte to Borsat again".

When you say "up to Brevieres" do you mean "up to Bellevarde"? Brevieres is below the Tignes Dam.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FastCarver74, download on the Olympic. Santons might not be open anyway. Where are you staying? PSBash is in LeLac until Sat so keep an eye out for snowHeads on Friday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MSG101,

The easiest skiing in the Bellevarde area is all high up. From Tignes Val Claret use the Col de Fresse Chairlift and ski down Vert to the Marmottes Chairlift don't ski any lower because you said you don't like the run from the top of the Mont Blanc Chairlift.

Just use the Marmottes, Grand Pre, Fontaine Froid and Borsat Express lifts and ski all of the green runs.

To get back to Tignes Val Claret you can use the Borsat Express and ski back down to Val Claret following the Col de Fresse charlift or ski down to the Tommeuse 8 man chair to the top of Toviere if you're happy with Piste H back to Tignes Val Claret.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all, we will be heading to Val on 14 Dec for 2 weeks Smile a longer holiday than our usual annual weekly trip. Will be staying in the new development Chalet Izia, hopefully the building will be completed on time. It has an opening day of 14 Dec...

Just wonder if anyone has any good recommendation for a Christmas eve dinner place?

@Steve. Me and my wife had two fantastic lessons with Clare last year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastCarver74 wrote:
@Steve Angus, I'm heading out to EK next thursday night, Skiing Friday-Monday. Hopefully it will still be quiet, but I'm guessing there will be an influx of people for the Criterium?. A question regarding this, is the Olympic cable car still open for downloading during the races? I'm asking in terms of getting from Tignes to Solaise. The people I'm with don't like Santons, so is the best route to download on Olympic or ski to La Daille and get the bus to Solaise bubble?

Does anyone like Santons?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jehu, the devil went down to Santons; he was looking for a soul to steal wink
snow conditions
@Jehu, I generally like it, like the half pipe feel
snow report
vipul - yup yummy!
MSG101 - yes it'll help a little but I suspect it will get a little tight non the less down there and busy so not all great news!
endoman - coming down the piste and back under the Mont Blanc chair is not too bad (although can get quite busy). Tines its called! Get to Marmottes quite easily that way too!
welshflyer - it wasnt that quiet - we just got there in good time! And good advice on the Bellevarde nice skiing etc.
FastCarver74 - it doesn't get all that much busier actually - those who do come are there to watch the racing not on the slopes - so fear not. Yes (as others have said) the Olympique stays open... the Marmottes lift shuts when the ladies racing is on (not that weekend you are here though!). Yes Santons may not be open then yet anyway!
alvinsu - nice new chalet there - yes should be finished on time! Xmas eve dinner place - hmmm good question. Anywhere really. BUT being the main meal of Xmas period in France you may well be presented with an expensive set menu IF and it is a bit 'IF' they still have space! Arghh good on you glad you enjoyed the lessons with Clare. Ill pass it on.

Nice to be up there

The day started far too early as Ben was awake well before 6!!! Anyway Olivia on the other hand was like a teenager with her fatigue... but we got her out the door. Her school teacher was NOT on strike today so we were able to send her to school and in actual fact most of the school was running OK! Phew!

I had Ben and he helped me do some jobs around the house and then we went for a nice slide and play outside and his best friend turned up! So that was a good couple of hours of fun. It was lovely and sunny which was nice and not too cold! Clare was out teaching so it was just me on my tod!

Lunchtime was a little hectic handing over to Clare and getting out but it was worth it as a few hours were spent doing some practice transceiver searches and talking about avalanche safety etc with colleagues and some seasonnaires! Perfect!

I rushed home as had some friends from university days popping around for a cuppa so it was all go, go, go! By the time Olivia got back from school the fatigue had caught up with her as she was a devil - arghhh! Bath and bed time was not pleasant! At the same time I think Ben is coming down with a cold - just great!

When we had finally gotten control again I ate dinner as Clare went for a run and then I popped to Snow Trax apartment to look at some jobs he needs doing... and now catching up on the final few things on the list this evening for bed time... teaching tomorrow am.

TTFN

P.S. For some reason I can't seem to post a photo this evening - it won't load! Sorry
snow conditions
Many of us will appreciate not having to pole/skate ,I always look to skiers right towards Follie ASAP away from the crowd on the left .
snow report
stevew wrote:

It wasn't like a half pipe at all when I did it last March, it was full of so much snow! First time I'd done it in years and not a patch of ice or a bump in sight.
ski holidays
@adithorp, I'm staying in Le Lac in Les Campanules Hotel. Will probably be skiing Bellevarde sector on the Friday.
@Jehu, I love it Very Happy
@welshflyer, The lapping around on the Olympic sounds like a great idea. I might try that myself.
ski holidays
FastCarver74 wrote:
@adithorp, I'm staying in Le Lac in Les Campanules Hotel. Will probably be skiing Bellevarde sector on the Friday....

In that case pop into the Taos in the evening and say hello. Keep your eye out for snowheads buffs and stickers.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, hi Steve, a (hopefully) quick question if I may. Whilst looking at the maps and trying to make some mental notes of places/pistes to ski next week that we haven't previously skied, I notice on the interactive piste map that the red Arcelle is showing as open, and that it finishes somewhere close to the Manchet Express lift, only the lift isn't running? Is it viable to ski the valley back down to VdI?

..Nick
snow report
Catching up with welshflyer at last - yes I meant Bellvarde! (facepalms)
snow conditions
Well I am having a great time.

Drove overnight Tiesday arrived at 1 ish Wednesday.

Great day skiing Thursday (yesterday), did a few laps of Grattalu, then over to Bellevarde and lapped round Borsat and Fontaine Froid. Lovely.

This morning at 845 I met up with the Hon Steve Angus for a lesson. Worked on my technique, mostly revolving steeper slopes and better speed control on those.

Safe to say, that by 12 my legs were like jelly, so I retreated to Marmottes for a coffee and a bowl of Goulash (6 euro fopr the soup, a bargain and really delicious).

Practised some more after that, but I am not ashamed to say that I was a bit knackered (rather my legs were), so I didnt do too much. Back on it in the morning.

Weather has been perfect-blue skies yay!

Steve was awesome as usual! Thank you!
snow report
big_ben. Hey how r ya - see you next week! Firstly they won't open the piste if the lift isnt running - that must be a glitch of the system showing one open and not the other! The Arcelle is a long red and a tricky red but pretty much my favourite in the EK (well one of them!). It finishes at the Manchet Express lift yes. If you did go down there then it is possible to get back to Val from there BUT it is a long way and pretty darn flat - so not advised really no!

Philip1972 - thanks so much - glad you enjoyed. Some great things going on today. Keep on practicing - hope the next few weeks are fun. Catch you soon.

A varied day

Clare was not teaching today so she was i/c the kids whilst I sorted myself out for my lesson. Meeting in La Daille made it easy and Philip1972 and I ripped around on the Tommeuse (Creux piste) (empty for the most part) working on technique before challenging ourselves somewhat more with a couple of descents on Trolles into Tignes Lac... a good session and some good homework to practice!

I had a couple of hours at home before loading the car and getting on the road to Bourg... some shopping (hardware store) needed to be done and then onto La Plagne... for the final avalanche and mountain safety chat for me for this season... thats 5 this Autumn so about average numbers I have done. This time it was all the SkiWorld Tour Op various managers from across the alps! Getting it all set up and delivered takes quite a while and then this time they invited me to have dinner with them too.... so all in all it has been a long day.

It wasnt over as when I got back to Val I had to go to our underground parking and collect some tools to do some jobs tomorrow.... Anyway by the time that was all done and I got back home and tied up a couple of lose ends it is suddenly very late.

Tomorrow I am not skiing but having some family time and then getting some jobs done.... also getting ready for Sunday and the first day of teaching on the PSB!

Until tomorrow.... TTFN

The 'Folie' new terraining from another angle.

Check out my new off piste safety piece of kit that arrived today - only JUST been released but since I trialled the first version last year it was nice to get this MUCH improved version - its very good actually. Looking forward to trilling it out.

Super meal thanks to Skiworld over in La Plagne.
snow report
@big_ben, as Steve says, quite flat and a lot of poling along the Manchet Valley from the bottom of Arcelle.

On the plus side, Arcelle is a wonderful run, with interesting variations. The poling and skating back to Val D is a good aerobic work out! It’s not too long or exhausting IMO.

Hope they get the Manchet Express chairlift going this week.

I’m also hoping the piste down to Laisanant, half way between Val D centre and La Fornet, will be open, with the fast chairlift running back up. If we have a huge dump of snow (Monday?) that run is an avi risk so I’m thinking maybe head over that way on Sunday.
snowHead
latest report
It was showing a technical fault on the lift, so I guess they had planned for both to be open, but only bothered marking the lift as closed.

What do they do on that piste when the lift breaks down while the piste is open?
snow report
@PeakyB, they usually delay manchet express opening, in part to discourage people going off piste in cugnai and off the top of madeleine before there's proper cover.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thelem - you gotta walk if that happens!

Out of ski boots

It was another early start with little Ben waking us all quite early. However we got going as a household as Clare took Olivia out for a ski and I did some jobs at home with my little assistant Ben!

After lunch I popped over to Snow Trax place to help him get his satellite TV system up and running. As with all these things it always takes much longer than anticipated.... and still by the end there was no signal coming through so some more homework required.

The next job was getting all the Christmas decorations up and the tree (yes I know it is still quite early but today will be the last day we are all around together until just before the big day itself so it was now or never!

Dinner and then a trip into town to sort out our tenants broken door handle followed.

And that has been my pretty exciting day off the mountain! Sorry not much content today but my mind is quite blank and I need an early night before SH's teaching starts tomorrow.

Amazing views from Snow Trax new apartment in La Daiille

TTFN
latest report
Not sure if I can embed video on here, so popping an imgur link below instead - rough and ready little timelapse I took of the sunset today from the top of Tommeuses. Lovely end to day 1 of the PSB. snowHead

http://imgur.com/a/hgJsaZO
snow report
Saw a few of you PSB guys around the slopes today Very Happy
latest report
call me pedantic if you like, but how can it be a pre-season bash when it's, erm, after the season has started?
ski holidays
milo_bc - lovely pic... it was a super nice day out there wasnt it!
Philip1972 - yup we were all out there.
Dr John - well it is pre-season for much of the alps. ha ha

Back in the game

Well as my body clock knew it was an early start I woke extra early - typical. It was all systems go getting sorted and over to Tignes with all my gear, parking up and to the hotel... anyway everything went according to plan time wise and I was at the hotel by 0830 which gave plenty of time to get sorted for the 0900 start.

A private snowboard session and then a standard group lesson and finally finishing with an off piste group it was a go, go, go day... and of course there was a kit change half way through the day to spice things up a little too. Anyway I thought the day went pretty well and plenty was achieved. The off piste is a little limited as the sun and wind etc have taken their toll but the familial gave some options.

Once the days skiing was over it was back to Val and the chaos of getting the car put away and unloaded etc - arghh! And then of course sorting the kids for bed and all the rest.... it was been once heck of a day!

Anyway all sorted now but not too much to report so ill make it another short one and finish with some photos!

Nice day in Le Lac

Urmmmm a slightly interesting feature in the Taos Hotel foyer in Tignes

TTFN
ski holidays
stevew wrote:

Me too. If anything it was less fun when they widened it last season.
snow conditions
@Snow Trax ,

Welcome to the hood!

We are in Vanoise B on the 9th floor. You will never tire of that view!!
latest report
Last day skiing of 2019 for me and we are snowed in. Pah.

Oh well we’ve had an amazing two weekends.
snow report
@bar shaker, Thanks, glad to be joining you. We're in C on the 10th. You'll probably most likely see us around walking Sadie, our Boxer. Say hello if you see us.

Satellite now working Very Happy Thanks Steve.
latest report
@sno trax, Very Happy Hello from another La Daille snowhead.
latest report
Well we have quite a little community here in La Daille dont we... the Bronx! Ha ha

Wild

It was one of those days that promised little other than wind and snow and did exactly what it said on the tin. When I first opened the curtain and it was relatively OK out there I thought they might have gotten the forecast wrong... however the thin blanket of snow would soon increase and so would the winds. The high winds were out there though and the speed was topping 100km/h at 3000m.

Alas I headed up the La Daille gondola to meet my team who were whacking their way down the Creux in pretty tricky circumstances! The La Daille gondola actually opened 2 mins early in the end.

So the decision to stay low was a good one as I think there were some sceptical people in my group that doubted they would enjoy and get much out of the session but ended up being very happy chappies in the end! The only problem with looping around down to La Daille and taking cover in the trees is a good idea is that everyone else thinks the same therefore it was relatively busy down there but only relatively!

However the morning was really good and this photo shows about the best of the weather all day - it got worse - MUCH worse. By tomorrow we should have a lot of snow abound and with the wind we have had it will be juicy out there!

Lunchtime session was with a nice guy on only his 2nd trip but he did really well in the conditions. A couple of laps on Palafour in tricky conditions saw some great developments however the final session of the day was in amazingly bad conditions - wind was horrendous and the blizzard was intense! Anyway some tired legs from the client meant we were a little limited but we made the most of it and some good changes were made - more changes to be made later in the week!

The winds go so strong that the link between Tignes and Val was tittering on closing for most of the afternoon so we were never too far away from the Tommeuse just in case!

And that pretty much brings you up to date... however just to report the frantic half hour yesterday up in the Madelaine sector... one lady had a heart attach on the Ouilette decking and needed an air evacuation (no details on how she faired?!?!) and then shortly after up on the Col de Madelaine piste a boarder broke her femur - so 2 helis needed within 30 mins of each other! Oh and one other thing - no surprises here - both the World Cup race meetings have been given the green light - its on!

TTFN
ski holidays
Hi, we are arriving in Geneva on saturday the 14th of december and we got a bus-transfer booked with our travelagency to Val d'isere
I was looking at the snowforecast and there's a predicition of 90 cm of snow at resortlevel from thursday night to saturday midday. If the forecast sticks, what are our chances to even reach the resort?
The reason im concerned is that I was in St.Anton early january 2019 and was snowed in for 2 or 3 days, no one in,no one out rolling eyes .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy