Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@HoneyBunny, It is where Rize cafe used to be. As Philip1972 said, it's a great place. Got a lovely vibe, food is tasty and they have their own beer. Dog friendly too. Our Boxer loves nothing better to curl up on a sofa for a snooze whilst we eat and drink Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers all, will look out for it x
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best thing is the comfy chairs and sofas.

Nothing annoys me more than having dinner somewhere on rock hard chairs! I can sit in Le Hibou for hours!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve Angus, I forgot to say, we also fell foul of the tunnel repairs when we came over at the start of Oct. We chanced our luck though and drove through. The guys doing the work stopped and let us drive past. They were breaking away the tunnel walls back to a hard surface and then fixing sheeting to the inside walls of the tunnel, to catch any rocks that fall in the future.

We were very grateful they let us through!

The Hibou - Val's best kept secret!! Great food, Nicole Richie and Daisy are lovely and the beer is cheaper than the centre of town. Their curry nights are legendary and they have a good veggy selection too.

Cafe Face has been the Saloon Bar since Nov 2018. They had to move out of their place on the snow line. It's not what it was.

There are often bands at Bananas (there were last year) and this can be good.

There is also Brarque which has excellent live music followed by a DJ most nights. The food is expensive but very good. It's very French and gets rammed (frequently with the rich and famous of France) so book if you want to eat. Speak to Nick or David.

I've had some great nights in Petit Danois but we have always just grabbed a booth have had our own dance area. I haven't seen bands there but the DJ's can be ok. Alice is lovely and if you were getting any grief/attitude, a quick word and she would sort it out.

My favourite evening place for a few beers and some chilled tunes is the bar below Le Lodge. It's relaxed, inexpensive and has a great chilled vibe.

In a similar vein but a bit more upmarket is Antoine's La Cave sur le Comptoir. This is a by the bottle wine only bar but the wines are top quality.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Bananas Great Aperol Spritz Disaster of 2015

The owner managed to tip one glass over and promptly threw his hands up in horror.... Which was a schoolboy error as he was still holding the tray. They weren't even our drinks! (free round though)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Coming out to Val first week in January along with 2 other families. First time I've been to Val with the kids so trying scope out our best options for family friendly apres venues - kids ages range from 2 to 11. On a separate note would I need to get a pedestrian lift pass for the 2 year old to be able to come up the gondala? I'm also looking at options for the afternoons with the 2 year old. Does anyone know if you can get a week pass for the aqua centre?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi

Is there a cost effective (cheap) way of a transfer from Geneva to Tignes during Easter, one way?

2 persons
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Altibus.com (every day) or Bens bus.co.uk (weekends)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@up4it, https://snow-drone.com. Similar price to the bus and infinitely more civilised
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker, we've avoided Baraque for the last couple of seasons, too much staff attitude if they don't consider you part of their crowd, and the men spend most go the evening grabbing women's back bottoms. Danois might be a younger crowd but it's far more relaxed. Agree about rock-hard Alice.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
@bar shaker, we've avoided Baraque for the last couple of seasons, too much staff attitude if they don't consider you part of their crowd, and the men spend most go the evening grabbing women's back bottoms. Danois might be a younger crowd but it's far more relaxed. Agree about rock-hard Alice.

We avoid it Saturday nights as it gets too crowded but I first started going in with French friends who live in Val all year. We were quite quickly accepted by the staff so don't get any 'attitude'. I do know what you mean though and it's an expensive place to be treated with disdain. Sunday nights are probably my favourites there. It's much more relaxed and if I'm not hanging from Coco it's a nice meal and entertainment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pmercer, I'm guessing you are after something slightly calmer for Apres. As previously mentioned above, Le Hibou would be good start. Also, Le Garage next to the bus station is another good option. Plenty of space and a kids den/snug area with PlayStation, games etc. They also do a selection of food.

Late afternoon around the Savonnette drag lift there are organised activities like Snake Glise, air toboggans etc. There is an ice skating rink too near the Village lift.

Thursday evening, the main steet through town is usually closed to traffic for a couple of hours with entertainment, music and activities.

For daytime activities, there is the farm up near the Fromagerie. At the top of the Solaise is a nice lounge and cafe plus a small activity area.

Hopefully a few things to get you started. I'm sure @Steve Angus will have some other suggestions too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snow trax - thanks for your response, some really useful ideas to keep the little one entertained.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone know what's happening with the old Ski Val place - Chamois D'Or this season?
snow conditions
Well, I have booked a private lesson with the Guru (Mr Angus) on the 5th December.

So that gives me 2 days practice before hand, and the 5 weeks after to practice what he teaches me!

Cant wait.
snow conditions
Looking at the webcam, they are going to have to get a chop on to get fancy new hotel finished for start of season, I presume they are trying to open this year? A quick google tells me it will be called " Mademoiselle" open on 19 Dec, and cost a fortune! Something tells me I'm not one of their target clientele.
snow conditions
@endoman, Val needs to stop with the high end market developments, or it'll turn into Courchevel. In a similar vein The Fall Line has been sold, Ben and Johnno had enough and moving on, hope it won't be a soulless expensive cocktail bar sort of place. With the Moris gone Val needs to cater to the full range of clientele or risk turning (even more) into a rich gehtto.
snow report
@Dr John, Agree, Moris was always our first port of call. We shall be trying Le Lodge this year . The cabin on the snowfront was also a favourite that I won't be able to visit this time.
snow report
@endoman, add the Pacific to the list, and that's 3 major venues catering to the younger market that have gone in the last 2 seasons.
snow report
yep, we were in the Pacific a few times last time there, and I'm 51 yet still think of myself as the younger market!
snow conditions
@Dr John, Looks like The Fall Line is open again this season. Noticed on Facebook that it was opening last night.
snow report
@muppet, just seen that, might not have sold yet and running it until they do, or even better changed their minds. I'll find out more in the fulness of time.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@endoman, add the Pacific to the list, and that's 3 major venues catering to the younger market that have gone in the last 2 seasons.

Guffy only packed it in because of his health.

There's no shortage of places for the younger market... PDs, Underground, and Saloon to name a few. A lot of the younger crowd shun all the bars, pre load at home and then go to Dicks or Doudougne.

The Fall Line is a strange one. I've only been there once and wondered if it was trying to only appeal to skint seasonaires. For drinks with my seasonaire mates, Bluenote will always be the bar of choice.

Talking of which, some of you who know Pat Rossi may not know that he has done his last season.
snow report
Noticed this on the website:-
https://www.valdisere.com/en/champions/
latest report
The Val glacier is looking very skiable!!

https://www.valdisere.com/en/webcam/pisaillas-glacier/

Great to see the EK all snowy again Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead
latest report
@bar shaker, may know the answer to this . Did the Val d' lift co or commune manage to make any progress in trying to re-profile the "bump/pitch" just above the Folie D?

I seem to remember hearing of a little bit of equipment sabotage earlier in the summer Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 12-11-19 14:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, I have a friend who is their PR Manager but she hardly skis, so not much point asking her. I've asked my estate agent, he normally has the gossip!

I will be up there on the 30th Nov, so will report back then, if he doesn't know.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kenzie,

So now we know that the Hotel Moris was named after Paule Moris.

And of course everyone knows who the OK piste is named after!
snow report
Do we?
snow conditions
If Jean-Claude, why the 'O'?
snow conditions
@Maersk, the 'O' is after Henri Oreiller who won 2 gold medals and a bronze at the 1948 St Moritz Olympics.
ski holidays
Well done,

OK is actually 2 famous ski racers from Val d'isere, Oreiller & Killy.
latest report
...and Oreiller also has the theatre/performance hall in Val D’Isere named after him.
snowHead
snow report
Thanks for that. Learn something every day........
snow report
Right folks im back... I think all the chat above has been suitably answered and the conversations have run their course but if there is something I have missed then please let me know and ill gladly answer for my tuppence worth!

So yes folks it is time for Winter 2019/2020...

I can't believe it is the best part of 20 years now I have called this place home but as this decade draws to a close and (I think) the 8th year of this thread / blog has been going it is that time of the year once again!

With a week until the lifts open or so and lots and lots of snow about it looks like it will be a really great start to the season (which is a relief as has all to often been the story the last few years NOT been the case!).

Ill be back doing my daily updates as well as utilising Instagram and Twitter and all the rest of it.

So apart from the new fancy hotel on the snow front and the new hotel atop the solaise that will open this Winter there has been the usual frantic race to complete the building works before the snow arrives - well lifts open really!

We went out for a family ski yesterday over in Tignes VC and the snow really is looking good! Ok today and tomorrow the temps will be a tiny bit above normal but generally we have loads more snow to come!

So there we have it folks. I always find it quite tricky to get the first update out and get started and get into the grove but I am sure I will do over the next days and weeks! Looks like a small false start already as I think rather than using my own photo Radio Val's photo from today is better!

Cheers folks!

TTFN

P.S. Last Winter the target was for a million page views to be hit - and that was attained so what next I wander!
ski holidays
Good to see you back Steve, I am back in resort for Christmas and will be enjoying the fact my good friends at Neilson now have La Toviere exclusively.
Then back with my usual group and in the same hotel again in March .

If our paths cross on the bus i will be sure to say Hi again.

Currently trying to get into Folie/fruitere for there first of the new regular Tuesday evening events on Christmas eve.

Will await your updates with baited breath.

Harv
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, hope all well with your family and great to see the return of your winter blogs.

Well done with the snow dances. A lot of us looking forward to enjoying the results and seeing you around Tignes in a couple of weeks time.
snowHead
latest report
@Steve Angus, Welcome back Steve. Looking forward to the updates and can't wait until I get out there myself.
latest report
@Steve Angus, looking to come up for maybe a couple of days from Bourg in early March (we've a week based there, so Ros, Arcs/Plagne, Foy and Val'D/Tignes all on the menu). Is there anywhere specific that the Snowheads massive tend to hang out?

PS welcome back!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy