Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Never nice hearing of job losses, hope everyone gets sorted out.
@Steve Angus, hope you didn't loose any money on the no show client, drives me mad when people pre book, and then decide to cancel on the day, imagine being employed and being told " sorry your not getting paid today"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
geoffknight wrote:
Never nice hearing of job losses, hope everyone gets sorted out.
@Steve Angus, hope you didn't loose any money on the no show client, drives me mad when people pre book, and then decide to cancel on the day, imagine being employed and being told " sorry your not getting paid today"

Thanks.... yes it is annoying and thankfully doesn't happen that often. But no all good in this situation - pre-paid etc!

lynnecha - wow that is quite a fluctuation in temperature it really is - not quite so extreme here but we are bouncing around once again!

Hmmm heavy

After a very stormy night of wind and snow we woke this morning to slightly improved conditions - certainly warm and reports of about 30cm down here in town and up to 60cm on the Val glacier but with winds making it very variable! I got going mid morning as I doing a funky lesson time today and the snow was always going to be VERY heavy... in fact (not that I was off piste) reports from colleagues indicated that the snow was 'knee-twisting' snow and unskiable for the most part!

The winds up top were pretty strong and the vis was varying around quite a lot but the whole point of the lesson was for my lady to get better at skiing in those conditions so that is exactly what we did! The Verte was in pretty good condition so thats where we focussed our attentions and later on we took a trip on the Tommeuse and down the Creux.... due to the direction that the wind had been blowing meant that one side of the piste was horrendous whereas the other side was better and it was one mass of people struggling to battle their way down... it was an interesting experience to be honest! Anyway with the wind coming and going with the vis we went back to lapping from the top of the Marmottes and enjoyed the rest of the session - a real success all in all and a good laugh... always fun to have a light hearted client ready to have a good giggle at themselves - ha ha!

After lunch we had a friend pop around for a cuppa before Clare had to go and collect Ben. I really hope he sleeps well tonight as he was up a little too early for my liking this morning and yours truly was baby whispering from silly o'clock! Arghhh!

So the weather continued to improve nicely all day and tomorrow should be a good but warm day - hmmm we shall see!

Great for transfer day that weather and on the roads it should be about 27000 cars which is not too bad!

Think thats all for now - TTFN

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Satisfying

It was nice to have a sunny and warm day again today despite the chilly start! I had a couple that I had not skied with since last year and it was a fun morning. 'J' has a wicked sense of humour and had me giggling regularly!

Anyway we headed up the Solaise side of the things and after a warm up on the Madelaine we headed over to the Glacier lift but when we got there it was closed (and would remain so all morning due to a tech fault)... that totally scuppered my lesson plan... however luckily they made very fast progress so we were able to take on the harder Marais piste and then a trip down the Arcelle which was in very good condition. It was a really good morning and for only a few weeks skiing experience 'J' in particular kicks butt!

I got lunch in at the Tartine and headed home.

Most of the afternoon was spent with one of Olivias best friends coming around for a play date with her mum. It suited me down to the ground... Olivia and 'S' played, Clare and 'S' mum had a cuppa or 3 and chatted and I hung out with Ben and watched rugby on tv - ah perfect!

After meeting and greeting our new guests I grabbed a takeaway pizza and have enjoyed a cold beer and some rubbish TV... and you guessed it here I am!

In local news the pisteurs are warning people who seem to head up the mountain ski touring early in the morning as someone got in the way of some PIDA clearance work yesterday am and had a lucky escape. Likewise they once again had to rescue someone form the couloir to nowhere and in doing so during the rescue work the rescuers themselves had a close call with a natural avalanche coming down... argh idiots putting others in danger through their actions!

Talking of slides.... when I talk about the concept of 'no such thing as 'JUST' being off piste' in terms of danger - check out this photo of a huge slide VERY close to the side of the Genepy piste over in Tignes... of course in this case it was a managed thing by the pisteurs but still it gives you an idea eh of the dangers out there.

And whilst talking about slides... some of the basic rules of off piste skiing (in this case expose only 1 person to danger at a time and ski the slope one at a time) were ignored here... I know this video is doing the rounds at the moment (and no this is NOT filmed in Val but hey shocking watching!)

https://www.facebook.com/EmissionLaPlaceDuVillage/videos/2238401806426104/

AND FINALLY for today this is a nice video of some of the work that goes on behind the scenes in Val... in this case the lifties making the up and over lift ready for opening the other morning after the monster snow and wind we had had!

https://www.facebook.com/1130303713650017/videos/2369533979943634/

So tomorrow is a family day this end - probably taking Olivia and Ben swimming in the am - we shall see and then Monday its back to work!

TTFN
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve Angus, great video of the work going on for the ‘up and over’ lift.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The St Cristof clip is a real belter Steve.
Skiing with a mate who is new to "serious" off piste I said ok we ski this " one at a time" why do we do that was the reply.
Next day he is sent the clip, not much more needs saying!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rogerdodger - quite!!!!!!

4 seasons in one day

Ill start comparing 2 photos from today - one taken about 10am this morning and the other some 7 hours later! Talk about a change eh

So the day started bright and breezy and Clare had a lie in which is a rare luxury these days! Anyway after a family breakfast it was time for action. With Clare heading out to teach about lunchtime whatever we did I was on my own and so we opted to go for a swim. So off we went.

As is usual on the Sunday morning they raise the temperature of the water and with all the floats out and all the local kids in attendance it is quite a fun time at the pool and a very sociable time to go to the pool - mainly lots of Dads on daddy day care really! ha ha!

It was a fun time and thank goodness I had Ben all togged up with all the floats in the place (he is such a riggler otherwise!) as he happily floated about whilst Olivia went bonkers! Ha ha!

After some lunch at home it was time for the kids to have a sleep!

I had to head into town to run an errand after that before coming home for dinner etc! By now it was pouring down with (heavy and wet admittedly) snow... the biggest snow flakes and more you have ever seen. I should continue like this for a few hours before easing off before breakfast time leaving us with a modest amount of snow - but who knows what will actually come!

Not really much else to report from today really... a fairly boring update but tomorrow is a new week - yay!

TTFN
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chilly

Well we awoke to pretty clear conditions but with some clouds hanging around! We actually had to wake the kids up which is a first!!!!!

Anyway Olivia was off on the school bus on time and she was super excited as part of the school curriculum this week they are skiing each and every single day - wow pretty lucky eh!

I headed to our meeting point and met my team for the next few mornings! A jolly husband and wife team and after negotiating the aims for the week we were off. It was jolly breezy up the top of the Olympic and cold when the clouds covered the sun (pretty frequent to be honest!). It felt more like January again - arghhh!

Anyway we did a lap of the green triange, had a quick coffee stop to warm up as well as plenty technical development.... super good stuff achieved! The husband had a dodgy knee so with the soft snow that was about (the amount of snow we actually got yesterday as only about 10cm but enough to soften things up (where the winds had not stripped it away and deposited it in big mounds!)) he tired quickly and the lumps that formed were tough going on his knees! Anyway non the less we had a successful morning.

With the weather coming and going it was hot and sunny one minute and the next totally different!

Anyway I headed home at lunchtime and had a very successful afternoon getting some work done before collecting Ben. Meanwhile after school Olivia was off to her music class so by the time they got home and Olivia had her dinner she was SOOOO very tired. Lets hope they both sleep well eh!

The weather forecast for the next week or so is sun, sun and more sun and temperatures getting progressively warmer and warmer... hmmm we are back into the high pressure system swing of things once again!

Meanwhile a funny photo from today as the Altigliss GEM students ski event continues and one of the events on today was 'Human Curling'.... yeah I know.

Anyway TTFN

Looked alright first thing.
...soon changed!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Human curling looks fun Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Angus wrote:
Meanwhile a funny photo from today as the Altigliss GEM students ski event continues and one of the events on today was 'Human Curling'.... yeah I know.

Student après-ski activity with clothes on? Things have gone downhill since back in the day. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A day of two halves

Clare took Ben to creche so I was off the hook this morning and it was nice and relaxing getting up to the meeting point with so much time available! Yay

I met my team and off we went up the Bellevarde side. The plan was to do a 'round the world' over to Tignes. Despite a sore knee from 'M' we had a jolly good time and worked on a few more areas of technique that needed attention. It was a good morning and the snow quality was amazing. A nice day and the pistes were not too busy really despite the fact that going 'round the world' covers some of the busiest pistes out there!

I took lunch at our office before meeting up with 'M' and the plan was off piste technique development. We headed up the Solaise and mixed our time between technique and practice time and got some really lovely snow in that has not been affected by the sun (yet). I was a lovely afternoon. More of the same on Thursday!

After skiing was hectic.... firstly collecting Ben from creche and realising that I had forgotten to pack my shoes today which meant that after collecting him (and bearing in mind that I had my skis and off piste pack too!) I had to make my way home with him on my back whilst wearing my ski boots again! Arghh.

Clare was out for a drink with a client which meant I had to collect Olivia from the school bus too (she had been skiing with school today so when she got off the bus she was hangry!) Even more Arghhh! So now with both kids I got in and did the usual including tea time etc! By the time Clare got in I was shattered!

And the day had not finished at this point at all... we had the new tenants for our apartment coming around for a drink.... and finally with the front door closed now I here once again!

Ill finish with some photos from today as the snow was great out there and lovely powder this afternoon too.

TTFN

Ummmm why is there a van parked on the snow? Guess it must be something to do with the student event or something?

Its gonna be a lovely day...

I took this photo to highlight the stupidity of some people... there are a couple of small dots in the middle of the picture on the ridge... this was a couple of guys heading OVER the BACK of the Col du Palet into the off piste over there WITHOUT any sign of off piste safety kit - madness!

Some lovely powder out there this afternoon - check out my instagram feed / twitter feed for some video of 'M' ripping up the powder with me this arvo.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a pretty incredible day boarding with Romain Taillefer on Tuesday. In his words, one of the best days so far this season.

We started with Charvet and got first tracks in. Then did Super Spatule, staying in the trees almost to the Funi. Next up was the fingers off Toviere (the couloirs above the Tignes lake). The snow in these was good. From there we went up Toviere and hiked the ridge over Mickeys Ears. The hike took about 20 minutes (glad I had snowboard boots on) and was well worth it as the north couloir was deep and steep, the Pas de Toviere below was incredible and un tracked. We jumped into the VP and finished through the trees around Triffollet. Late lunch at the Rosée was followed by the drop from Laissinant down to Pyramid and then up to the top for Grandes Vallons. We rode the untracked north face before joining the tracks and finishing in the trees below Mangard.

To say I was broken is an understatement and I’m glad to be on an airport run this morning.

That was the best day I’ve ever had on the mountain.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We even got to watch the day’s heli rescue from Gorge de Malpasset too Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow - that's one hell of a day @bar shaker - very jealous Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker - that sounds like a good itinerary.... yes with the snow and the company of a good ride thats why it was one of the best days of the season... glad you got to experience it... awesome. Yes regarding the Gorge..... this from Radio Val:

A father with his 2 children aged 10 and 12 were trapped yesterday at 14:30 from the gorges of Malpasset. - OMG will people ever learn and double OMG when its a father with his kids - how reckless to the max but doesn't surprise me at all - whether its in the gorge or day in day out on the mountain there is so much dross out there and poor manners / attitudes and cluelessness all over the place.... arghhh its a crazy world on those slopes!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Getting warmer

Well its certainly getting warmer out there but not before we had a heavy freeze overnight... however we really need to let the sun get even stronger before it can start a proper cycle BUT we need to make sure the temps drop to zero or thereabouts to get the slopes really shaping up (off piste wise) for some lovely 'Spring'... meanwhile on the pistes themselves it would be nice to have the current conditions last a little longer as the slopes remain in EXCELLENT condition - perhaps the best of the season piste wise!

Anyway with Olivia going to the Village today and Ben being dropped at creche it was nice to see the suns warmth coming through as I waited at the meeting point. The only problem was my pre-lesson wee couldnt happen as the Sun Bar loos were still locked for some reason... luckily the loos at the bottom of the Olympic saved the day - ha ha!

I was rather stood up at the meet point for about 20 mins or so as my team were running late... it turns out that they had boot problems and were swapping them over! Anyway we got going in the end and decided to head up to the Val glacier and have a lovely change of scenery and it was lovely outing with great snow. We worked on edge control at the end of the turn so they could relate that to when they are skiing on less grippy surfaces. I often get asked how you ski ice... well the answer is fundamentally the same as 'normal' snow - you just have to be more skilfully tuned in to your skis in terms of edges and pressure control to get the desired grip... but that in itself is subject to being properly balanced over the skis and that in itself is subject to good posture etc etc etc - blah, blah, blah... but anyway we worked on that for a while and ultimately headed up to the glacier (quick coffee stop) then took on the Moraine piste which never lets me down and today was no different - it was in great shape! The team were pretty happy with themselves - well done.

I headed home at lunchtime and spent the afternoon getting some jobs done and then had a meeting in town with a colleague, then the usual of collecting Ben from creche etc etc etc. Olivia was at the Village as I said and then later on Clare picked up her and they went for a drink with a friend of Clares so by the time they got home it Olivia was SOOOOOOO overly tired... she ended up going to bed after lots of arguing and battling.... oh dear indeed!

So tomorrow is another day and I will be off piste in the am and I am hoping to be able to find some Winter snow up high - hmmm we shall see as I need to tread carefully to get some decent snow - hmm we shall see.

TTFN

My wife and my colleague Kim (on the left as you look) have a 'team talk' at the meeting point this am.

It was glorious up the glacier today! Snow great and minimal lift queues - yay!
ski holidays
Frustrating

The day started EVER so well.. firstly the kids were either still in bed asleep when our alarms went off in our bedroom (Ben) or in Olivias case she crept in to our bedroom just as our alarm went off to have a cuddle and apologize for her behaviour last night... all good!

Then with Clare taking Ben to creche and Olivia off on the school bus I headed to the meet point and met up with a couple of 'fans' (I dont like that phrase but thats how they described themselves) who follow my instagram stuff... it was a nice meet up and nice to meet you chaps!

So I was in a happy mood to start the day.

Things quickly changed....

LIFTS - what is it with Val and being a little lazy and resting on their laurels when it comes to communications amongst other things. Anyway I headed up the Bellevarde Express chair and over to the Loyes Chair (always a nice (and just as quick option) way of getting up the Bellevarde side in the mornings!) only to find there was a technical issue with it that had NOT been advertised at the bottom of the Bellevarde chair... it caught a lot of people by surprise! So that buggered things up somewhat. I know the technical issue could not be envisaged BUT they need to be better at communicating things so people like us dont head up to a dead end! Luckily my guy was good enough to ski the Face and therefore not waste any time and we used the descent to work on some technique for the ensuing off piste!

Whilst we were in the Olympic lift queue there was the worlds tallest man - I swear he was 8 foot tall!!! His ski boots were about 2 foot long too - it was incredible!

Anyway we got up top and had a slide about and then the second issue came about - there was no ski school line set up for the Borsat and when we got to the front (bearing in mind people pay for the lesson time by the minute so a few mins extra queuing is not welcomed!) the liftie was standing with his hands in the his pockets (it was not cold today!) and half the seats were going up half full - arghhhh.

Not that it affected us but I also heard that the Marmottes lift had a tech issue today as well!

Anyway we enjoyed finding some good snow around variations on the Jardins de Borsat ... there is still little bits of wintery powder around either in sheltered north facing aspects or generally sheltered bits... however generally speaking now you need to go for a walk to get powder and little by little the Spring slopes are getting set up so we are in transition still at the moment! There was also today a stiff Foehn wind about too that didnt help.

We finished with some nice snow in the meadows under pisteurs where there is still some winter powder lines to be found!

With just a few mins left we squeezed in a descent down the Collet 'off piste' and it was the first time this season I went for 'Spring' snow and I think I got it about right. So note to self 1130 today on S/SE/E facing slopes is about OK for off piste for Spring transformations!

I then got a phone call from Clare to say that the creche had just called to say that Ben had a temperature (where the heck did that come from - eek).

I finished my lesson and it was imperative that I got my message across that fitness would be important to help him improve as that was an issue for him but also understanding the underlying technical things AND getting practice is vital - Rome was NOT built in a day! Enough said!

Anyway so this afternoon I spent the time with Ben - he was VERY much up and down but got worse again and ultimately was sick all over me at bed time - double arghhhh.

Lets hope he is better tomorrow poor little man!

And that brings you all up to date.

TTFN

Oh dear Borsat lift with no ski school line set up!

The last of the Winter pow found!

snow report
Well it sort of came at the right time!

So Ben slept well and all was going well at breakfast time until I reached across the table and BANG my lower back froze on me... I was in sudden agony... I was on the floor in agony and it ended up taking me about 30 mins to actually get up again and dressed (slowly). Little by little I felt a bit better but it was sore! Anyway what with Ben coming home ill yesterday from creche I had blocked myself off from working anyway so the back problem was not to be and issue... as long as I could get Ben to creche!

Anyway I managed to get Ben to creche (it was painful getting on and off the bus with the pushchair) and off he went. I was very grateful that he was back on form and had slept well and eaten a good breakfast - phew!

So I managed to get some down time at home resting my back and organising for a massage / physio this afternoon. Not a lot you can do with a sore back really!

So all was going well and I had waited to firm up the physio appointment 'in case' I got a call from the creche when THAT call came through... it was basically lunchtime... I carted myself up to the creche to get him and back again - he had a temperature again. He seemed to be himself though they told me, had eaten OK, played nicely etc but just wasnt himself! Oh well!

So I got him home and he fell asleep straight away so I got him into bed and had my lunch!

I ended up having to wake him to get to the physio appointment which ended up being great (and he was well behaved - probably helped by the snacks I gave him to occupy him!). So yes I am feeling better - the physio is not 100% what is wrong but something about a possible compressed muscle in the lower back against the spine or something - not sure exactly! I have some exercises to do, a better way of standing to relieve the pressure and instructions to take it easy for a day or two (again lucky as I am not teaching again tomorrow!).

The rest of the day was pretty chilled as Clare and Olivia got home and everyone was tired going to be on time / early leaving me up to watch some tv and write this!

In local news it revolves around the FIRST marmotte spotted of the season - somewhere in the Fornet apparently and yet more Gorge de Malpasset reduces - given up being surprised by the stupidity out there and ive stopped being surprised by it now! Arghhh!

Tomorrow is another fairly quiet day on the roads (relatively speaking of course) with 26000 cars coming up the valley - this means next week should not be that busy on the slopes thankfully! The lovely sun and warm temps will continue for the foreseeable future thats for sure and the spring slopes are starting to get set up little by little - yay!

TTFN

This photo tells you a few things (taken about 9am this am)... firstly that there was a decent (but not serious at low level) freeze last night - i.e. Spring conditions are starting and the pistes (especially North facing at low altitudes will be firm first thing but could soften up in the pm sun!) and secondly the sun was strong enough yesterday pm to get some of this snow turning more slushy so with the temps in the pm's this week the same slopes in the sunshine in there pm are likely to get slushy ('ish).
ski holidays
Hi Steve , really enjoy reading your updates. We will be in Val 1st week of April and can’t wait !

Am interested to know where you get the data on number of cars coming and going ? Do the local authorities release weekly information on visitor numbers ?

I am keen to know which are normally the quietest weeks of the season to help me plan future trips ...
snow report
sheffskibod - thanks so much indeed... you'll have a great time - dont forget the suncream! Car data.... well usually its on the Radio Val website each Friday but you can also follow on Twitter the 73 prefecture twitter feed that also tells you whats what (and real time traffic info on the day itself!). Visitor numbers is a different thing... there is a website: http://www.valdiserestrategie.com/en/accueil/ where you can get LOADS of analysis on expected visitor numbers to the resort from week to week and comparisons against previous years / other resorts and other things - its pretty useful when you get the hang of it! Quietest weeks.... well apart from the first and last weeks of the season....!... usual mid to late January are quiet and the inter school holidays periods such as now too! Hope that helps!

Talking of which the resort is going to be quiet this week - only 55% odd capacity of beds filled!

Feeling better

Well my back was much better today although it didnt start again very well as Ben woke earlier than usual and yours truly got a 'wake up' dig in the ribs from Clare to go and sort him out - unfortunately as she kicked out she hit my square in the back - arghhh that was a verbal bashing in her ear to start the day off from my side !!!!!!!

Anyway it was OK really and the day was up and running... Clare was off teaching all day so I got the kids dressed and off we went... up to the farm to visit the animals there - Ben was NOT a fan of the cows and horses ... but we had a fund half hour non the less. As the sun was shining and Olivia had her scooter we opted to walk back to La Daille - boy it was long walk back but in the LOVELY warm sun it was nice... Ben was in the push chair most of the way and Olivia scooted the whole way! We got back to La DAille at about 1130 so get back on the bus once again into town to go to the creparie for lunch. I made a mistake ordering lunch (not that the kids MINDED AT ALL) as I ended up with 2 sweet (variations of chocolate, cream and ice cream on the pancakes) and only 1 savoury (cheese and ham) pancakes... whoops. Anyway the kids loved it and ate well and washed down with hot chocolate!

Luckily the kids slept well and then as they woke up Clare got in from work - yay!

It was a quick turn around before we headed out for a drink at Blue Note and met up with a friend on holiday. Clare stayed out as I came home to get the kids into bed.... phew thats that another day over!

And I have just realised I forgot to get a photo today - whoops!!!!

Anyway this COULD have been today - promise!!! Its not though !!!!!!

TTFN
latest report
Many thanks Steve , a lot of data on that site but I think if it am reading it right using my schoolboy French , the week we are there is even quieter at 48% capacity...hoping for the clear weather to continue...
ski holidays
@sheffskibod, it is deserted this morning.
ski holidays
Was just chatting to two Piste Security guys on Laissinant chair. I asked what sort of people were being rescued from Malpasset. They both said Parisians and laughed.

Apparently the helicopter budget is doing nicely out of them.
snow report
@sheffskibod, it is deserted this morning.
snow report
sheffskibod - yea it'll be nice and quiet and the good weather will continue for a week or so at least! And as bar shaker says it is lovely and quiet this week already.... but I do love what the pisteurs said there bar shaker - ha blooming ha!

Brilliant - thats my little man

It was another early start (what is it with Ben and his early mornings eh at the moment!) with Ben but with the sun shining and the birds singing its not all bad!

Anyway after a family breakfast we headed up the slopes... and today was the first time our little man would ever ski! So (thanks to Snowberry) we headed to get gear and with the sun shining we headed up the Solaise. With my back I was in shoes but Clare had her skis on (so did Olivia). Anyway at the age of 18 months there is not that much you can / would expect but he had a tiny little slide about and seemed to have fun.... coupled with some ringo fun and some chilling in the sun and learning to walk in ski boots he loved it.

It was a lovely few hours before heading home for some lunch and then kids sleep time. Just as I finished clearing everything up after lunch and getting the washing out Ben woke up - arghhhhhhhhh!

Not was all lost as I needed to get the kids ready to head to out friends K and A - it was their dogs birthday today so we all had a cuppa and some cake.

And then you guessed right it was time to get the kids home and bathed etc. And here I am once again!

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day on the hill for me so going to sign off for now!

TTFN

Ringo chill time with daddy after a hard mornings skiing!!!

Another gorgeous day up there - more of the same tomorrow although a few afternoon clouds perhaps!
snow conditions
I've uploaded a video from last week.

Have a look if you want a powder fix.

http://youtube.com/v/xS3E2M6BpOA
snow report
Crumbs, you haven't half made a mess of that couloir!
snow report
James the Last wrote:
Crumbs, you haven't half made a mess of that couloir!
It was very steep and was always going to go, the second I jumped in.
snow report
bar shaker - nice shots there... its a nice couloir that one eh and the walk is not too bad really.

Anyway a day of 3 halfs - yes you read that correctly!.

Again another early start thanks to Ben but with Clare having some later starts on the work front this week it was not too stressful a start all in all really.

So I headed to the meeting point and met my new team - a couple of adult friends. It was their second and third week of skiing respectably but all in all that in itself threw up some problems (I knew it would when I read the booking notes in advance anyway!) in that they were rather different levels - hmmm that is going to cause problems later in the week when other members of the party come on board too!

So anyway with them being about half an hour late it was a rushed start to the lesson anyway. We headed up the Solaise and after a refresher slide on the small magic carpet we spent most of the time on the big carpet working on turns. It was a little annoying (from the point of view as they now have a whole day and a half until their next lesson (too long a period of time at their level I think)) that we were not able to get up the Madelaine but hey ho! The sun was shining though!!!

Lunch was a quick affair as I needed to get up the mountain and record a quick instagram live and then met the pm session... this was a 2 x 1.5hr lesson block so with a fellow SH for 1.5 hours working on general technique mainly on the Face and then the second half of the session I needed to swap to my snowboard for the second part of the session. With the wind getting up and the clouds rolling in it was a chilly pm! Anyway both parts of the lesson were good and some good progress made. Bravo!

I picked up Ben and got him home and you guessed it is business as normal with bed and bath time etc!

Tomorrow will be back to glorious blue skys etc...

TTFN

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus, i loved it.

I was glad not to be in my ski boots for the hike though.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, I’m just catching up on your posts.
Congratulations on another family milestone with young Ben’s first ski.
18 months old, Val D’Isere, pretty good time and place to start.
Great pic too
ski holidays
Colder

It was a cold and pretty windy night (by late March standards anyway).

The normal start to the day but without Clare teaching so she was able to take Ben to creche! Anyway I had a 'surprise' for my am session... one of my regulars.... well his daughter (grown up) is out here this time with them on holiday and she was treating him as a surprise to a ski lesson for his upcoming birthday... so off we went. For only 5 weeks or so of skiing he was really strong and had all his dominos lined up in terms of technique - I was impressed. So we went up the Solaise and actually spent a lot of time working on the Arcelle. Bearing in mind the hard freeze overnight it was (i knew it would be) pretty firm down there. Anyway it was a very successful morning thats for sure and we even did a couple of blacks to finish the morning off. Jolly good!

I had to do some swapping of bits around at lunchtime then get myself up to meet the pm lesson - coming over from Tignes to meet half way! The session was split into two halves and broadly speaking we covered the same things in both parts of the session! Again pretty successful all in all!

The one interesting thing was that the temps were much lower today (as the tail end of the low pressure system coming from the north came through) and there was a punchy breeze... this means that the snow is holding up well and the south facing slopes and low slopes do get slushy and bumpy but most slopes most of the time are in tip top condition albeit a little icey at times and locations!

We got the kids into bed nice and early this evening as they were both besides themselves with fatigue (yes Olivia has a whole second week of ski lessons this week - lucky thing - in fact I saw her up the Bellevarde with her school friends this pm.

TTFN

bar shaker - no half!
PeakyB - well we think so as well - it was a nice moment for sure!
snow report
^ looks like Rhone Alps! One of the blacks I like and will actuially ski in Val.. Very Happy

I should be there this week and I'm not Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I think that's still Piste M as it turns to the left - Rhone Alps heading off screen to the right
latest report
@HoneyBunny, @nemesys, yes I think the right of that junction takes you through the trees to the main village lifts. A black, but often more enjoyable than the crowds on red Piste M to the left.

I should be there this week too but injury stopped me Sad Oh well, next season I hope. snowHead
ski holidays
HoneyBunny / nemesys - well one of you is correct!!!! You have to be careful as the tree line starts (from the point of view of where the pic is taken) as the turn to the left happens when your on the red Piste M BUT you are already in the tree line when that turn to the left happens on the Rhone Alpes... admittedly you can't see that I am IN the tree line when this pic was taken therefore this is actually the Rhone Alpes but easy to think it is Plan M! Extra geek point - you can just about see just this side of the red padding for the first snow cannon on the right... there is a black stake marking the rh side of the piste - a black marker!

A fun one

Well Olivia had a mega lie in (Wednesday so no school today) until 8am and Ben was still in bed gone 7am - whoopee!

Anyway I had the same team as a couple of days back and we spent virtually all our time on the Madelaine as the snow as good, it was quiet up there and it was the best place for them technically.... with both members of the team needing very different inputs to their skiing it was 2 lessons in one really and one party I was pushing extra hard whereas the other person not pushing as hard! Anyway we had a good session and with no breeze in the morning and certainly no clouds it felt much hotter again. However this is relevant as the boiling hot April temps have not arrived as of yet - yay!

I got a few hours at home before we headed to the Rosee Blanche for a some drinks with M and the rest of the gang.... a few drinks later in the sun was lovely. Olivia was on fire and had ants in her pants - rushing around etc - OK slightly tiring but better than being a real pain in the back bottom!!!!!!!! Clare picked up Ben and he lasted about 10 mins before heading home with mummy!

It was a real treat to be able to sit in the sun for a drink for an hour or so - dont get that chance very often.

Anyway the usual getting the kids into bed was fairly painless and once again I am here again!

As you might be able to tell things are slightly 'slow' generally on the ground at the moment - a quiet time of the season so it is nice having a little time to think and for myself before gearing up for something like 25 days or something teaching in a row starting next Monday - !!!!!!!!!

Anyway TTFN

snow report
That was a successful day

Well what a day it has been - a long day.

Once again I am absolutely GLUED to what is going on in Westminster today.

I have to say that the last few years I cannot believe how much I have tuned in to British politics - read, learned, understood (well tried to anyway) what is happening. My own political views and many other things aside from that have changed and developed. I find it both fascinating learning about it all but also knowing that it DIRECTLY affects me. So at the moment I seem to spent virtually my whole life with one eye on the various news channels and feeds, twitter feeds etc and trying to understand what happening... another fascinating day and tomorrow will be the same. I actually seem to have become the oracle within the ski school letting everyone know in 'plain English' the latest and Clare (and now Olivia) are asking questions for me to answer as best I can! Arghhh!

Anyway I dont want to get into the actual politics of it all so ill leave it there.

So back to today.

I took Ben to creche this morning and then got to the meeting point and enjoyed the peace and quiet in the sun as I was usually early! Just as the clients were due to arrive I got a call saying they had just gotten out of bed and would be 30 mins late - arghhh!

When we finally got going we had a super successful extended lap of the green triangle - after 3 sessions I got the self taught guy finally allowing his legs to get closer together so as to allow them to come parallel - hooray! However I dont think he will ever make a skier as such unfortunately as he doesn't seem to have the raw skills needed but he tried hard.... its a pity if I do say so that all his friends have somewhat drummed in to him the bad habits he has picked up by taking him onto unsuitable terrain - I dont know why I bother telling people sometimes the terrain they should and shouldn't go on - you give your expert help to some people and it fall on deaf ears - arghhh! Alas it was a fun morning non the less so well done!

I had a couple of hours at home at lunchtime and then headed down the valley for an epic long afternoon of chores... firstly driving all the way to Bozel near Courcheval to collect Olivias new birthday present a cool 'Isla' bike - then back to Bourg to do some shopping (Clare thought of 101 things after she had done the click and collect order last night! Arghhh), then some dinner (McDonalds - hmmmm yummy but naughty!) and then finally collecting the click and collect before driving it all up to Val and putting it away! Boy it has been a very long day!

Tomorrow I am teaching in the morning (some other early intermediates) and then in the afternoon there is supposed to be an unofficial TDC ski event amongst the instructors - a fun series of ski races - I will see how my back is as it is still not quite right before I decide to join in or not! And then tomorrow night it is the annual ski school curry night - it will be a long and busy day tomorrow - eek!

TTFN

snow report

What a day

It was dejavu (sp?) again weather wise. Clare was not teaching this am but I was on a 9am start so I headed up to the meeting point at the normal time and met my new team of 3. After negotiating the plans we headed up the Bellevarde and had a very enjoyable trip around the 'Green Triangle' and there were some really good developments in their skiing. They were ecstatic as they have only been skiing for a few days. It was a really nice morning with some really lovely people and hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get them down their first blue run - possibly we shall see!

At lunchtime I got into a VERY long chat with a friend and also another colleague at the foot of the slopes re B****t - an hour later we had totally chewed the cud over!

I treated myself to a Chevallot for lunch and then got some jobs done whilst watching the action in Westminster unfold - you couldnt make this stuff up - who needs Eastenders when you have this drama to watch..... except its real life - eeeeeek!

Anyway I got the kids and headed and and after a very early kids bath time i had to run to get down to Bourg for the annual TDC curry night - it was amazingly yummy... and nice to let our hair down with colleagues before the final push of the Easter holidays to go!

So I have just got home and thought id at least get a little write up done before bed!

So I am teaching tomorrow am, the afternoon with the family and all day Sunday before Easter holidays start! EEEK

TTFN
snow report
Did it

Well I'm going to go slightly into coding mode so as to not give away where I went today otherwise todays quiz will be too easy.... so lets start with the quiz today..... its another case of where is this... piste name, bonus point for saying which direction this photo faces... this is a really tricky one today I think!

Will anyone get it right?

So anyway it was only me teaching in our household this morning so Clare had a chill out with the kids at home over a leisurely breakfast (she took the kids skiing when they finally got going). I headed to the meeting point and met my same team as yesterday am. It was all go at the meet point today... firstly there is a local guy who teaches with the UCPA who was working on achieving the world record for most amount of vertical meters / feet speed flying today.. so he spent the whole day lapping in the Olympic lift today, getting out the lift and flying down the Banane before repeating - he ultimately did 58 descents today and got the world record - wow pretty cool. Waiting at the meet point for my team this am I saw him complete 2 laps! There was also lots of people queueing to get up the Olympic long before the lifts opened for some reason!?!?!

Anyway we did some more negotiating of goals for the day after one lady in the group had scared herself a little yesterday afternoon on a piste - oh dear. So anyway we headed up and did some confidence rebuilding and then some green pistes before the two stronger skiers decided to allow me to take them on a blue run... anyway they were over the moon having completed the piste.... well done you.

So after getting home and the kids having lunch and a sleep we headed as a family into town for a drink or two at Hibou and catching up with some friends... it was lovely sitting in the sun. I headed home a little early to get dinner for Ben sorted and Clare and Olivia got back a little later on.

Clare and I have just shared a nice pizza for dinner and it will be shortly be sleep time - I'm shattered and with the clocks changing tonight it will be an early start tomorrow!!!!

Meanwhile the resort looks like it is going to be quite (surprisingly at that) quiet this week as just British private schools are on holiday this coming week - occupancy rates for this week at only 48%! Hmmm interesting.

Anyway TTFN

ski holidays
Is the piste the black run Marmottons, taken from Arcelle?
snow report
HoneyBunny - good guess I like your thinking - but unfortunately wrong.

I SAID THE QUIZ ABOVE WAS TRICKY DIDNT I!!!! - come on lets see whether anyone can get this correct - I've always been blown away in the past by how spot on people have been previously.... perhaps tomorrow night ill give the answer (unless someone guesses correctly!)

So much for the lie in

Well it was an interesting night in the end - no sooner really after heading to bed but Olivia was up complaining of a poorly stomach and pains... faffing about into and out of her own bed I ended up sleeping on the sofa in the lounge and she (Olivia) was in bed with Clare - however it was an up and down night by all accounts and at one point she came into the sitting room for a snug with me (waking me in the process - arrrghhh!). Anyway even with the clock change it was an early start as Ben decided to wake early too - so here I am this evening somewhat tired after that.

Anyway Happy Mothers Day to all the mums out there.

When the day did start there were cards and presents for Clare from the kids and then a family breakfast - yum yum.

Clare headed out for a ski with Olivia and since Olivia has her cousins in town at the moment they all met with each other and had a lovely morning and then lunch together - awesome! She seems to be getting on really well with her skiing - a proud dad.

Meanwhile I did a few bits at home then took Ben swimming... to be honest with the clock change I was a little behind schedule all day! Anyway we had a fun time non the less and the pool was pretty quiet actually! Anyway it was a fun hour or so!

After getting Ben home and giving him his lunch he took a sleep and I managed to doze a little and watch a little part of a film... this all before Clare got home with Olivia and she was more than a little tired - oh dear! I did have to pop back into town partly to collect all the dirty linen from our little chalet as well as collect a pre-cooked chicken from the supermarket for Mothers Day dinner!

So that was diner sorted!

And here I am once again!

Todays photos obviously NOT taken on the mountain but the next 3 weeks I am pretty much teaching 100% of the time - eek!

The weather is about to change radically over the course of this week and we could get quite a mix of snow and rain coming through this week - not a lot of sun around either! Hmmm we shall see.

Yesterday I mentioned the world record speed flying attempt up and down the Face... so speed flying is a mix of skiing and paragliding and anyway the guy aimed to do 40 rotations making the height of everest or so over the course of the day... he ended up doing 57 rotations - so smashing his target and setting a huge world record! - Good work... now back to your day job as a ski instructor with the UCPA here in Val! In fact he was so efficient that he made more 'laps' up the Olympic and down the route via the Clochetons couloirs than would be possible by sitting on the Olympic lift all day long - pretty impressive really!

Oh and ill mention just one word - Gorge. (yea again - 1 person this time!)

TTFN
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy