Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
I think the lift will be Borsat and skiing in direction Grand Pre...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think I've worked it out.

The hike/poling was along the ridge from the top of Cugnai and it is Cugnai in the background.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowornever & kpw I think are the two closest... Off skiers left of the Genepy piste that comes from the top of the Borsat lift and heading back towards the bottom of the Grand Pre lift... so the lift you can see is the Borsat. Good guesses everyone though!

A warm day but the weather has once again turned!

I was less than fully alert this morning as Ben had us up in the night for a while so I was bleary eyed first thing. Anyway the sun was shining so nothing to cry about really! I took Ben to creche after Olivia was on the school bus and that gave me the best part of the day to get some more bits and bobs done at home! Clare was out teaching so it was blissfully quiet for a few hours!

The final few pieces of the jigsaw are slotting into place before the start of the Mens World Cup tomorrow. The weather forecast is not great but lets hope they can get some ski racing in! The bib draw this evening seemed to be pulling lots of punters to watch and the resort has really filled up this weekend. In fact in the case of the building that we live in I was talking to the concierge today and he told me that the building is fully booked out this weekend!!!!

Anyway the temperatures were very much Spring like today... it was the best part of 10C mid afternoon - incredible. However the weather has radically changed this evening and as of about an hour ago it started snowing heavily... more or less 2 - 3 days of snow is now forecast and the temps will drop significantly. However severe winds are likely to accompany so we shall have to see what happens!

After the bliss of a few hours on my / our home it was time to collect the kids and we went to check out the new 'Garage' bar in town... it is located opposite XV bar and next to the main bus station. It is where the snowploughs used to live (not sure where they are going to go now instead!?). It is basically a huge open plan (non French ski resort like thats for sure) bar. They do food, have a kids area, a HUGE screen, some large comfy sofas as well as dining tables... I REALLY liked it in there - so very different from what you normally find in Val thats for sure. Anyway we had a nice couple hours in there with a selection of friends. The food we had was tasty and good value.... definately recommend it.

So I think that more or less sums up today.

Ill leave you with some photos of the day.

TTFN

It looks dark and dingy but really its not in the Le Garage... There is a cool snook area upstairs as well as the kids den too!

You want open plan!

Chilly when that sun goes behind the mountain at this time of the year!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not like me

Well folks sincere apologies for the radio silence the last 24 hours or so... about lunchtime yesterday I started to feel a little out of sorts... but late afternoon I was physically ill (sorry Andy and Kellie as I was at their house when it happened) and I have been in bed for a large part of the last 24 hours... one of those 24 hour bugs. I have finally eaten some food this evening and am feeling better but can its a first surely as I am sitting in bed typing this update whereas I normally am sat on the sofa!

Anyway what has the last couple of days brought... well in a word a STORM a large one at that... the winds this morning topped over 120km/h at the top of the Bellevarde but it has been pretty much non stop since yesterday. Somehow they not only ran the Mens GS race on the Face yesterday but it also ran about on time - well done all involved with that. Whereas the weather has deteriorated so much that this mornings slalom could not go ahead... ironic that the Womens race for next weekend has been cancelled (they had to make the decision quite far in advance) because of lack of snow whereas now we have too much of it hence todays was cancelled (ok mainly the wind today but hey its dumping down!).

Talking of snowfall we have had about 50cm of snowfall here in town in the last 36 hours or so - probably more to be honest and there is talk of another 50cm plus overnight tonight so the resort is really setting itself up nicely!

So the wind meant that everything remained shut today bar the nursery slopes and the same over in Tignes... that coupled with my dicky tummy meant that there had to be some jigging out of lessons. Anyway pretty much the whole day was a duvet day and AMAZINGLY everyone in our household had a 2 hours Sunday afternoon nap... now with 2 small kids that it some sort of a miracle I think! So I reckon if I have one more early night tonight then I will be full of the joys of Spring (I mean Winter dont I) by tomorrow morning... in all fairness I feel pretty good now but an early night should really get me back to 100%

Tomorrow could be an interesting day... I am supposed to be heading around to Tignes tomorrow to lead an off piste guiding day with some of the SH's over there... even allowing for the interesting weather in relation to lift openings... there is also the time to clear and physically get stuff open over there and that is assuming the road is OK... if we get 50cm of snow then the road could be closed for av blasting and irrespective of that the road could be chaos... so all in all it could be an interesting start to the day tomorrow.

There was one group of people that enjoyed today though... the snowmen... this little collection of snowmen came about as the French students in our block had precious little to do today what with the down day so they decided to build an army of snowmen outside! I wander if they will still be visible in the morning or if they will be blown away or buried in snow - one or the other for sure!

I will also get my back bottom back in gear afa social media is concerned tomorrow too.

I think that is all for now. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

TTFN
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

but late afternoon I was physically ill (sorry Andy and Kellie as I was at their house when it happened) and I have been in bed for a large part of the last 24 hours... one of those 24 hour bugs.

The joys of having young kids and what they bring home from school.
Get well soon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not called Val Disease for nothing wink Glad you're on the mend.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad you've recovered from Mal d'Isere, the weather looks pretty horrible today but should be some great snow when it clears. Good news for the Christmas crowds.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HoneyBunny wrote:
...... but should be some great snow when it clears. Good news for the Christmas crowds.

Probably a general comment - but fwiw in my experience Val isn't that busy for Christmas week. New Year's week however....oh yes.

I'll be there Saturday for a week - I'll say hi if I spot you Steve. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the great guiding today Steve! Was a shame we couldn't get up higher but the group had a blast anyway!

My highlight of the day was definitely your legs waving in the air Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bennisboy - ha ha - red faced moment!
nemesys - brill see you about and yes Xmas week is not too big a deal but NY is HUGE!
HoneyBunny and moosepig Thanks
T Bar - Thanks and yes it was probably the kids one way or another!

Now that was an interesting one!

I woke this morning feeling MUCH better than I had woken yesterday morning and was (on the health side of things raring to go). The only problem was that the wind was howling outside and the snow was coming down thick and fast... it was obvious that the link between Tignes and Val was never going to open today so the only option was to drive... and I knew that it was going to be an interesting one at that.

The first problem was getting out of the Cret parking as the British Army (well about 150 of them that always come out here at this time of the year on an expedition for a month and a half or so) had blocked the road with their vehicles. Doh!

Anyway I managed to drive out the entrance to get onto the main road! This is when the fun and games started... OK I'm in a vehicle with snow tyres but its not 4WD... anyway all was going OK until about half way up the road from the dam to Tignes Le Lac. Despite the signage saying special kit needed etc people still drive like lunatics etc ... anyway I had to wait whilst people were overtaking stationary cars then getting stuck themselves.... ultimately it did sort itself out but it took about 30 mins and by this stage the gendarmes were having to intervene... in fact a car load of STGM staff whose car could not get up the road having overtook me and then that lead to the gendarmes asking me to take them up... so I suddenly had a car load of STGM lifties in my car and we progressed onwards.

There was no need to rush as there was never going to be anything open until about 11am. So plenty of coffee drinking ensued at the hotel!

When things finally did get going at about 11am there was VERY little open... (the same over in Val BTW)... so all day we were limited to Paquis, Bollin and Tichot lifts... well it took a while to get going and we found some interesting snow off the sides of the Trolles piste and indeed I had a darn good double ejection as I fell into a snow hole... whoops. It was rather entertaining and took a while to recover my skis - oh dear! Anyway we got there.

After lunch in Val Claret it was off to sample what we could find on the Tichot lift and we found some great snow... far skiers left coming down and off the Carline there was some great snow...

We did a lot of laps and it was awesome... freshies and all sorts.

Admin getting in his head space!

For very limited openings we had fun!

The trip back was much less stressful but Clare was out collecting the kids (Olivia at music lesson and Ben will he was along for the ride) so I got everything ready for bath time etc at home... with all that out the way and dinner sorted here I am.

The weather has obviously been pretty juicy the last couple of days but it is coming to an end and we should have a nice day tomorrow... yay! This nice weather will hopefully last for a day or two before probably some more snow coming our way!

What is for certain is that the avalanche risk is going to be off the scale for a few days and this is mainly down to ALL the changes in types of weather / temperatures etc we have had... it means the patterns of being able to predict avalanche danger are going to be very difficult to predict. Of all the time to urge caution I think now is it.

Anyway I think that is all for now.

TTFN
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus, Glad you are back to your good self. Catch up again soon.

Quote:

My highlight of the day was definitely your legs waving in the air

That's usually me face planting. I must be teaching you a thing or two Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
".…some interesting snow off the sides of the Trolles piste and indeed I had a darn good double ejection as I fell into a snow hole... whoops. It was rather entertaining and took a while to recover my skis - oh dear!..."

Glad I'm not the only one. I went in one down there on last Thursday's op day. Slammed into the opposite wall then slid down... And no bug took a picture. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Val next week. Is somebody able to recommend a place which does a good range of test ski’s?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sailskibum, If you go to Mountain Pro, they will charge their normal hire fee to try a pair of skis. If you buy, they will deduct the hire charge.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sno trax - ha ha
adithorp - yes it was rather embarrassing!
Sailskibum - indeed and also consider Snowberry too!

Well that was nice

With the sun shining (it was not warm though) and the end of the storms from the last few days it time to get stuck into some of the pow that was out there. My team met up for the first of 3 days of Off Piste Adventuring which is the clinic I am running this week. Surprisingly two things happened this morning - firstly there was not too much blasting pre opening. Whilst there was a decent amount it did not go on and on and on... this is usually a good sign that things are relatively stable and they dont need to keep on blasting away to totally clear everything. The other thing related to this was that the lifts more or less opened on time... this is a considerable achievement really bearing in mind the amount of work they had to do up there and in many cases they had been unable to get much cleared yesterday!

Anyway with the conditions as they are and the dangers out there I had already made the decision to keep is safe(r) and therefore flat(er). We headed up the Bellevarde and having initially thought he had it on (it turned out to be his phone in his pocket) one of the team realised that he had forgotten his transceiver... thankfully I have a spare one I carry with me so he borrowed that.

So we found some lovely snow on the flats off the Collett piste as well as variations all around the Mont Blanc chair as well as the Grand Pre (where it was particularly good it must be said. With the wind that we have had as of recent it was staying in the gullies and lee's of ridges etc that provided that best snow... in some places the snow was really deep and really light but all too often the old rain crust from a week ago came to the top and in some cases there was some soft slab forming. Anyway all in all we had a really nice morning and plenty of good turns were had.

Meanwhile elsewhere people were skiing some crazily dangerous lines out there... there was at least 2 slides that buried people today... as far as I know the worst was some season ending knee injuries but it could have been much worse! I do not know why people take such risks but there you go!

It is also worth noting that quite a few parts of the area were unable to be opened today as there is more clearance to be done. All I know is I will be heading the Fornet direction tomorrow that is for sure!

This afternoon I had some seasonnaires for a promo lesson and apart from it being baltic and them all wanting to flake out a little early we had a really good afternoon working on general technique as well as a dabble in some carving... a nice fun group!

Picking the kids up from school and the usual evening chores have been on the agenda.

It is currently -16 outside and I should think it will get even colder overnight (and that is down here in town!) so by the morning it will perhaps be -20 - yikes! Up the mountain even colder of course. This is great for the snow as it will preserve the snow and may even sort out some of the wind crust if we got some gentle breeze overnight...

Anyway I am looking forward to some more powder tomorrow

TTFN

P.S. Forgot this cold looking photo of the day.

latest report
A medium scale avalanche in the Banane yesterday. A british season worker fully buried but equipped with an airbag which was partly visible on the surface. She was rescued by other skiers but suffering from a serious knee injury and her season is apparently over. Her two friends were partly buried.

Why do I mention this? Well there were already a lot of tracks on the slope exactly where the slide occured - the debris was some 3 to 4 meters deep in places. Locals spoke of a "powder frenzy" in resort as locals and season workers scrambled to get first tracks on all the classic off piste. There was an even bigger slide in the Gendarmes in the Tovière sector but this time only skis lost - they can be replaced, a blown knee, not so easy.

Conditions remain unstable - there are weak layers in the snowpack - in all the open French resorts at altitude. Considerable to High risk depending on altitude in Val d'Isere.
ski holidays
Well we are heading over Christmas week now, but as we only booked last night it's Tignes for us
latest report
Wish I could have stayed until Tuesday, but really can't complain with Monday's conditions. We started in Fornet, getting there just as the cable car opened. Nothing was open above this so we looped down initially down powder covered pistes and then through the trees. We were grinning ear to ear and were virtually alone.

After about 4 circuits, we headed to Solais on the bus. We had spent Saturday looping Plan M/Rhône Alpes which were closed, so unpisted and good powder. On Monday, Plan M was open and had been pisted but was a bit wind scoured. Off to the right, around the Off Piste markers was good and then dropping down in Rhône Alpes, which was closed again. After two loops, we decided to try Piste S. This is a piste I rarely use as it is never pisted and becomes a huge mogul run. On Monday it was the most amazing powder I've ever found. The wind was rotoring above it and had dumped loads of champagne soft powder into the gully... with only two other tracks down when we got here. It was somewhere between knee and waste deep and the best powder I have ridden in. After 6 loops, word was getting round and the crowds were joining us but until then we were getting fresh lines every run. Just incredible.

As it was tracked out, we decided to call it a day. It was 3pm. On the bus back to La Daille we saw two things. First, the sun was trying to get out, second they had fixed the new La Daille gondola. We hadn't ridden it so had to get one last run in. OK was closed but we climbed up the new steps to the Folie Terrace and clipped in. More untracked deep powder! Where OK meets Criterium it was chewed up and horrible, even though this was also closed. From there we got in the trees alongside Orange and had an absolute ball. Perfect powder and the perfect gradient for a tree run. We couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces.

Sadly it was then home to pack and head for GVA.

Although we didn't get out on Sunday (a rare total shut down), we met up with a lot of friends on a bar crawl from XV to the Bluenote, so it was still a good day. Dinner was Casserole Savoyarde in the Casserole and was perfect. It could have been blue skies over the weekend, but then it would have been twice as busy everywhere so, overall, it was a pretty excellent weekend and some of the best powder I've ridden.
ski holidays
You need to posts some photos so those of us that are desk bound can hate you a little bit more wink
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
We headed up the Bellevarde and having initially thought he had it on (it turned out to be his phone in his pocket) one of the team realised that he had forgotten his transceiver... thankfully I have a spare one I carry with me so he borrowed that.

Back when the world was young & I did my first transceiver training the first thing we were told (when using it for real) is to put it on whilst still in your accommodation, and check the battery at the same time. wink
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
We headed up the Bellevarde and having initially thought he had it on (it turned out to be his phone in his pocket) one of the team realised that he had forgotten his transceiver... thankfully I have a spare one I carry with me so he borrowed that.

Back when the world was young & I did my first transceiver training the first thing we were told (when using it for real) is to put it on whilst still in your accommodation, and check the battery at the same time. wink

I now find it virtually impossible to go out without wearing mine, even when I have no intention of going off piste. It's the thought that I may be able to help find someone, rather than I may need to be found myself.

It always goes on in my apartment, with a battery check.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

new battery each season, just bought a new one for mine.
snow report
davidof - yea good review of what happened there thanks! Lucky escapes all round really
bar shaker - sounds like a great slide about!
Zermattandchips - I will try and get more photos - have so many things to get done when I am out teaching etc - and besides the battery on my phone takes a constant battering when its this cold and I try and keep it warm as much as possible.
Kenzie, bar shaker and scottydonald - all good points and true!

Nice snow, but chilly

It was not a good nights sleep... Ben was up most of the night (it turns out he has a mild temperature this evening) and ultimately (dont ask) I slept on the sofa and Clare slept on Bens floor... needless to say no-one apart from Olivia (she is a good and deep sleeper bless her) slept well! Finally the sun came up and the day was off.

It was about -18 on my thermometer here in La Daille so the layers went on and on and then it was my turn to get Ben to creche.... has anyone tried carrying skis, poles, ski boots (once my boots go on in the morning I aint taking them off for nothing and since need to take footwear off in the creche I have to carry my ski boots with me to the creche!), a baby in a back pack, off piste pack AND on a slippery surface when its -18..... hmmm tricky!

Anyway I managed it and still got to our meeting point on time!

I went up a layer this morning after feeling the chill yesterday thankfully but I was sweating when I got to the meet point - but quickly cooled down!...

Anyway everything opened on time and we opened with a Spatule and the snow was mixed... unfortunately with all the rain we had a couple weeks back, the wind of recent times it means that despite some lovely areas of really nice snow there are some sharks out there. So anyway some piste work to help with the off piste technique and mixing it up meant we had some nice turns down there.

We circled around and went for a Cairn. After the slides of yesterday I was cautious getting in there it must be said but it turned out a nice descent... the snow was excellent and found so many fresh tracks in there... it was great! With an hour left we finished with some of my classics off Madelaine and Datcha.

I spent the afternoon at home catching up with some things and catching some down time. Olivia who is not at school on Wednesdays remember (the school week works differently here) went skiing with her mummy this morning and they had a great time but unfortunately she came back VERY cold as getting cold toes etc is difficult to avoid when the temps are so low.

As I said above Ben came back from creche with a slight temp so this evening we have been getting him into his bed and sorting things for tomorrow as well as preparing for a busy days teaching for both Clare and I tomorrow - eek!

Anyway I had been planning to do a live broadcast today on Periscope but with one thing and another I totally ran out of time - whoops!

Tomorrow then it shall have to be.

Weather wise it was generally bright with some very high cloud today but there could be a slow change coming in tomorrow - perhaps!

It was a chilly start...

Lovely views on the entrance to the Cairn as the Loyes passes overhead!

TTFN
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, re. Cairn, has table been opened yet?
latest report
Steve, I often see people traversing under the Loyes chair and around the corner, is that how you get to Cairn? (I won't ever be trying it don't worry). I always wonder where they're going.
ski holidays
@@Steve Angus, Steve is the Intersport hire shop still open next to Pierre Vacance in La Daille ?

Oddly it does not show up on the Intersport ski rental website?.

2 of my crew in Feb need hire , and unfortunately we don't arrive in resort till 7.30 on the Saturday evening so closer hire shop the better , we are a bit touch and go for getting them to Snowberry and didn't want too much of a hold up on Sunday morning as i will be making sure they have kit
snow report
Some interweb trawling has it as a skiset shop now , i am not going mad ? it used to be an intersport ,though we actually stopped in Tignes last march so it may be 18 months since we were in La daille
ski holidays
@davidof,

You say that 3 people were caught in an avalanche in Banane on Tuesday.

When skiing off piste with a group the skiers should be leaving sufficient gaps between each skier in order to try and avoid more than one skier getting taken in a slide if a slide is triggered.

You say that you were surprised that there were skiers tracks before the group were caught in the avalanche. If you've ever been to Henry's Avalanche Talks he makes it clear that it may not be the first skier down the slope who triggers the slide.

@bar shaker,

The early season snow conditons have been and remain very unstable. There have already been avalanches in Val d'isere. I would have thought that skiing closed pistes was very risky. Is our insurance void if we have an accident on a closed piste?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@davidof,

You say that you were surprised that there were skiers tracks before the group were caught in the avalanche. If you've ever been to Henry's Avalanche Talks he makes it clear that it may not be the first skier down the slope who triggers the slide.

You're misunderstanding what he said - davidof writes his own avalanche blog I believe and knows what he's talking about. I believe he mentioned the tracks specifically to highlight your point.
snow report
Dr John - yup several times!
HoneyBunny - yup
harvsurrey - its in my building downstairs and I can confirm it is now a ski set !
welshflyer - yes they should have left sufficient gap but obviously didnt! Yes I think the point is that there were other chancers who had already gotten away with it! And yes skiing closed pistes equates to skiing off piste anyway insurance wise... in fact there is a school of thought that says skiing closed pistes is MORE dangerous as the pisteurs have closed it for a reason... which is all very well if the reason is safely related avalanche wise and not for example because there is no snow on it!!!!!
nemesys - Davidof certainly knows his stuff yes!!!
snow report
Thanks Steve and Nemesys. I just wanted to remind people of some basics given the early season enthusiasm. Without the airbag the young lady might have been under several meters of snow instead of just having her season in ruins.
snow conditions

Im not quite sure why they have churned up all this snow already by the get off point at the rond pont de piste... strange!

They're making the (very) partially built Brussels hotel complex blend into the background quite nicely on the snow front - I wander what it will look like come this time next year!

Couldnt help myself poste this photo that I actually used on my instagram today

... talking of Instagram and all things social media dont forget to follow me @SteveAngusSnow on Instagram and Twitter.

Anyway back to today.... dont quit whilst you're ahead

It was another chilly start to the day but generally clear skies and we had all slept better at home... yay!

So I met my team for one last off piste foray of the week... The main thing to note was that my secret line as a warm up on Solaise was untouched which was nice... I've missed that line in the off season! I knew that Cugnai was due to open this morning having been shut for a fair few days with the storm so it was just making sure we were in the area when it finally opened...

When it did we made sure we were one of the first on the lift (not that it is often busy!) and profited from about 20 laps on it lapping up powder turn after powder turn. With the Manchet Express not running at the moment we had to stay 'inbounds' (so to speak) but hey we got so many great turns in it did not matter!

Talking of the Manchet I have found out that the new little cafe near the rugby pitch that opening a couple of seasons back... if you stop there on your way back from the Charvet and buy a coffee you can then pay €1.50 a person for a tow back to the old Clochetons area behind a skidoo - cool eh!

Anyway some super nice snow time and time again on the Cugnai before we headed home.

So this afternoon I have sorted out a few things before finding myself here!

Tomorrow it looks like I have a gap in my schedule so I am going to have a ski with Clare in the morning!

I did do a weekly Periscope today too.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOGwZDAamPKB?t=8

OK folks think that is all for now.

TTFN
ski holidays
That hotel is going to block a lot of mountain views !
snow report
davidof wrote:
That hotel is going to block a lot of mountain views !
Not like there's a shortage of mountains though wink Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
We are staying in La Daille (Hotel Champs Avalin) from 6th January and one of our group will need to hire skis. We came last year but everyone had their own gear then so didn't need to worry about ski hire.

I remember a fairly smart looking shop in the building right next to us - I think it was a 'Skimium' - and I gather that there is a Skiset shop across the road. They seem to offer fairly different prices (the Skimium one being quite a lot cheaper) so does anyone have any advice on which to use?

Any other tips for my friend around ski hire from here would be helpful. I haven't skied with him before but I think he would probably be classed as an intermediate piste skier.
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:

@bar shaker,

The early season snow conditons have been and remain very unstable. There have already been avalanches in Val d'isere. I would have thought that skiing closed pistes was very risky. Is our insurance void if we have an accident on a closed piste?

You are either on an open piste, or you are off-piste.

We were having a day off-piste and we assessed the closed pistes to be safe areas. We had transponders, shovels, probes and Avi bags and the gradient of our routes was generally less than 30 degs. Any off piste skiing carries risk and shouldn't be undertaken if you don't understand the risks and/or have had no training in survival/recovery techniques. My friend and I have both been on several avalanche awareness courses, including one last week. We carry out transponder checks before leaving the apartment. I spend approx 40 days in Val each season and have a reasonable knowledge of the areas we skied.

We understand the risks and we are insured for skiing off piste without a guide.

I think I speak for all of the 'locals' in that we wouldn't want anyone to take our tales as some sort of endorsement that a certain area/route is always safe. We assessed our routes as safe on the day and they were. We had a ball.
latest report
tonyswift wrote:
We are staying in La Daille (Hotel Champs Avalin) from 6th January and one of our group will need to hire skis. We came last year but everyone had their own gear then so didn't need to worry about ski hire.

I remember a fairly smart looking shop in the building right next to us - I think it was a 'Skimium' - and I gather that there is a Skiset shop across the road. They seem to offer fairly different prices (the Skimium one being quite a lot cheaper) so does anyone have any advice on which to use?

Any other tips for my friend around ski hire from here would be helpful. I haven't skied with him before but I think he would probably be classed as an intermediate piste skier.

Tony I get my guests to book their kit on line at Skimium (my apartment is above your hotel). They have really good equipment and the staff are very helpful. If your friend wants to go off piste, they have good choices for this too and also have safety equipment to hire.

The shop is next to the Spar (GF of the shopping area) and 50m from your hotel front door. Just make sure you select the La Daille branch on-line.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, thanks for that - I will recommend it to him.

We did pop in there last year as one of our group needed some boot adjustments which they did a good job on so happy to go with that recommendation and also it is very close to our hotel so will be easier for him! It looks like they are open until 11pm from their website - is that correct? We fly into Chambery at 15.15 so likely to be there after 7pm and it would be handy if he could pick his skis up that evening!

Getting very excited about the trip already and looks like amazing snow out there from the webcams!!!

Out of interest, do you have a chalet(s) to rent in that building? I'd be interested in any details if you have a web page or anything?
ski holidays
tonyswift wrote:
@bar shaker, thanks for that - I will recommend it to him.

We did pop in there last year as one of our group needed some boot adjustments which they did a good job on so happy to go with that recommendation and also it is very close to our hotel so will be easier for him! It looks like they are open until 11pm from their website - is that correct? We fly into Chambery at 15.15 so likely to be there after 7pm and it would be handy if he could pick his skis up that evening!

Getting very excited about the trip already and looks like amazing snow out there from the webcams!!!

Out of interest, do you have a chalet(s) to rent in that building? I'd be interested in any details if you have a web page or anything?

They are only open until 19.30 at the moment but that may change later in the season. They will normally do minor jobs for no charge, unless you get them at their busiest times (then they will ask you to come back) and are really helpful people.

The snow is already good!

We don't rent out our apartment, sorry.
snow conditions
@bar shaker,

Quote:

We understand the risks and we are insured for skiing off piste without a guide.

Never the less, any level of insurance is null and void on a closed piste, unless you can prove that you entered the closed piste from off-piste, which it doesn't sound like you did. Like you I'm fully kitted up and avi aware, tour far back country frequently and gone down all the couloirs, but ducking the rope to ski a closed piste is a big fat no no under any circumstances.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy