Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
I know the season isn't over just yet but thanks once again for the updates, pics & videos, Steve
I read every day and wish I was there.

Steve Angus wrote:
.....ho hum you live and lean, sometimes!

For a skier, I can think of no better philosophy Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus wrote:
Which lift(s) and run(s) are these then?

First one looks like the Fontaine Froide, and the run would be the red next to it, also called Fontaine Froide.
Having a think about the second one - however it could just be the same lift looking back up the hill snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fontaine Froid and Glacier Express?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A successful avi rescue on the border today (Fornet?). At 4/5 I will leave the arguments of why he was there to others.

https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/photos/pcb.1849880631753108/1849880091753162/?type=3&theater

Very good work by the pisties!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well almost the end of the season

Firstly a thank you to everyone for all your involvement this season once again... my pleasure doing these updates! Same time same place next season eh!

moosepig - yup you got it - slight trick question - its the same lift and run (Fontaine Froide) from differing angles looking up and down the slope

So today has been quite a day! I was in charge of getting Olivia to the meeting point for her lesson this morning which was good as it meant that I didnt have to leave home quite so early but on the flip side that in itself is a rather stressful thing to do when you have all your own gear to get ready etc too. It was a lovely sunny day today which meant that everyone wanted to get skiing first lifts so the buses were rammed - arghh! Anyway we got there and off she went!

I did my last periscope of the season as I watched the crowds gather for the Olympique lift (with so much snow there was going to be a severely delayed opening on the Solaise side in particular!) and there was a lot of amazement if nothing else that we really had mid Winter conditions here in mid April - bonkers!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRKZebWgXXxB

Anyway I met my lady for her one of lesson with me this morning - actually a friend of a friend of a colleague and it was a case of building up some confidence but effectively getting her used to the fall line as she was used to doing 'z' shaped turns and with only a few days of experience under her belt we stared on the Village and later moved up the Solaise (the queue had gone by the time we headed up there). We managed as far as getting a lap on the Madelaine in and plenty on the magic carpet and the snow was just perfect up there - she loved it!

It was a mega rush after the lesson... a trip to Barmes for lunch with the family and then I headed off down the valley to do some shopping, pick up some things and generally rush around Bourg before heading back up and dumping the shopping before catching up with the family at Olivias prize giving and then some team beers at Coin des Amis (a couple of the team are leaving for pastures new this season so it was also a couple of au revoirs) and then finally home to get the kids into bed and dinner time ourself! It has been quite a non stop day!

As bar shaker says there was a serious incident in the Vallonet sector above the Fornet mid morning. 2 people were apparently taken in a slide but it would seem as if they are both alive but apart from that I dont really have much more information apart from the photos the pisteurs took. The main thing to note in the photo is how many tracks have already skied this pitch before it slide (on the right) and the face that just moving a little further long the ridge has been enough to hit the trigger point (I talked about this in my periscope this morning!). Anyway hopefully alls well that ends well!

And that is that for another season folks... Im now off tomorrow over to Val Thorens of the EoSB so looking forwarding to seeing people over there and skiing with as many of you as possible. Ill be back for monthly(ish) updates over the Summer so until then....

TTFN
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yay I got one right Very Happy

Thanks for all the updates Steve. Between you and chocksaway you provide the best source of accurate and up to date information for anyone interested in the Espace Killy. It's much appreciated.

Have a great EOSB and summer snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Angus, Thanks for a fantastic series of reports Steve. Enjoy the EoSB (one day I swear I'll be there) and wishing you and your family a great summer. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Massive thanks from me too @Steve. What a season?!

I’m in town at the end of the month, while see if you are free for a pint.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looked forward to reading your blog ,watching your periscopes all season going to miss them
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will there be a 'The view from ........... EOSB' thread?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have a great summer and a well earned rest @Steve Angus, . See you in 2019!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It has been a while

Well folks I can't believe we have arrived in June and (me bad) it has been over 6 weeks since my last update. But what a busy 6 weeks it has been (as always).

Shortly after writing the above it was the trip over to Val Thorens for the EoSB and what a great week that was. The weather was lovely, the snow excellent and I met so many SH's and had a fun time! I thought it was a really great week - looking forward to the next bash already!

As soon as I got back from VT it was that time of the year to complete my dreaded tax return - every year I always think I should just keep on top things but never seem to find time of the other 11.99 months of the year... so anyway it is a week or so of hell getting the ta return complete however that it is interspersed with not only Clares birthday but also Olivias too so it is a little bit of a ying and yang period of time!

Anyway that is all behind me now and that finished the season well and truly for me and so we headed back to the UK. Travelling with 2 small kids all that way by road is quite a journey but being leaving later in the afternoon and driving through the night most of the hard graft is done with the kids asleep in the back!

We had a great couple of weeks seeing friends and family, I got our car fixed and MOT'ed etc and also the weather was super too so it was a jolly lovely trip! I did also however manage to fit in a series of theory courses and then several days of practical followed by the test itself - for a PSV Category D Passenger (Bus and Coach) driving course! Cutting a long story short I have always thought (call me weird and nutty) that driving long distances would be quite cool and having taught a client earlier in the year who owned a coach company everything aligned nicely! The company concerned always look for people who can do long distance (European mainly) coach journeys taking kids / OAP's etc by road around Europe ESPECIALLY in the months of May - July and the skills I could offer matched perfectly what they look for - I just needed to get my license to drive a vehicle of that size! So anyway I am pleased to say that I passed and am now able to drive such vehicles and in fact I am off back to the UK on Tuesday to do my first couple of trips - to France actually... a week at a time - should be fun!

So it was a mad couple of weeks with lots packed in, parties and reunions and everything in between so a really nice time! And since then we have been back in Val where the weather has been up and down. I have being doing LOTS of odd jobs... one thing I really want to do but have not found the opportunity yet is to have a BBQ - we have a brand new sparkly fancy gas BBQ sitting on the balcony that really needs firing up sometime!

We have also been watching from a grandstand view point the destruction of the old La Daille gondola / Etroits Chair over the road and the building of the new gondola - so far the old chairs have been demolished along with the base building and the foundations are starting to go down! Should be exciting to see it taking shape this Summer!

The Summer ski season is about to kick off here in Val tomorrow but with the amounts of snow that we have had the last Winter they not only are NOT able to open the road up to the Col to access skiing on the Val Glacier but instead there is enough snow to have skiing open up the Bellevarde side - with the Orange, Verte and Diebold all open with access up the funi and then laps on the Marmottes - it is only for a couple of weeks but id love to try and get a lap in up there sometime - not sure I will be able to do that as I am baby sitting this weekend as Clare is away on a hen do... and Monday I am doing something then I leave Tuesday first thing so I dont think I will get a chance - perhaps next time eh! Radio Vals promo vid on the matter: https://www.facebook.com/valdisere/videos/10155895050863096/

Talking of Clare the other thing to mention is that she has decided to leave TDC and is setting herself up as an independent instructor. There are a few reasons for this and I am 100% behind her on this so if you would like any lessons next season and I am not available then drop me a line or get in touch with her and I am sure she will be able to sort you out!

So I hope to be back in touch next month (and it will hopefully be exactly that - monthly) for an update but ill sign off for now with some photos as usual.

TTFN

You're not safe on the roads for the next few months!

Some serious snow clearance up to the Col going on!

....hmmm I thought I would have a fair few more photos to add here now but I dont Im afraid... not that interesting seeing a photo of the hole in the ground where the new La Daille gondola is going in so hopefully next month it will look a little bit more interesting - watch this space!

TTFN
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for the interesting news. Hope you enjoy the bus driving!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus,
congratulations on getting your coach/bus drivers license!
You could take snowHeads on 1st PSB Lardybus from GVA direct to Toviere gondola 😉

Tax returns! I got up 3.30am in the Dolomites and persuaded the hotel night receptionist to let me use his PC to do mine by the deadline.

Enjoy your summer and look forward to updates. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great to hear from you Steve and Congratulations on the PSV test. Well done. Looking forward to next season already, but also enjoying the summer sun. Hope you get that barbecue fired up!!
ski holidays
Steve, will you still be teaching with TDC?
ski holidays
A quick note for anyone hoping to head to Val glacier from Italy.

The road is open from Val d'Isere to Col de l'Iseran but the snow on the Bonneval side is still plentiful and avalanching, so the road will stay closed for the time being.

Updates on Radio Val d'Isere website.
latest report
snow report
PS:

bar shaker - yes I will
lynnecha - got BBQ working just fine thanks - really yummy couple of BBQ's so far!
snow conditions
Now thats a posh bus!
snow report
Another busy month!

Well time seems to be ticking on folks and another month (more than) has passed. What a month it has been. To be honest most of the month has seen me driving and working and Clare being at home with the kids... the kids have been one of a) in creche / kids camp type thing (Olivia has had swimming, trampoline & tennis lessons amongst other activities this holiday) b) driving Clare up the wall and generally ruling the roost or 3) ill / asleep / tired or seemingly all at the same time (Ben had not 1 but 2 bouts of hand foot and mouth but being a VERY strong and solid little boy (he is already 11kg in weight and not even 1 yet!) he bounced back without blinking)

So the way it has fallen has meant ive been busy and working away lots so have missed quite a lot of the 'Summer' here in Val but have seen Summer elsewhere.

So ive been up and down the French motorways with my driving work and spent just a few days in the UK... I did have a gap between tour driving jobs so the company got me driving for a few days whilst the regular driver was on holiday the 420 bus from Harlow to Epping and back again... 3 days on that! But for the main part south of France and sweltering in the heats there... thank goodness we had aircon! It was something like 42c and 80% humidity - not very nice for day on end!

No sooner had the heat slacked off but the rains came and I was in the Ardeche region of France when the HUGE storms arrived that hit the headlines a week or so back and I can tell you the thunder and lightning and the rains were as bad as was reported - it was torrential. We were all OK but we saw some of the devastation when we were leaving... crazy!

Meanwhile back here in Val there has been the usual events and activities and as is usual there is week after week of goings on such as fetes and shows etc.

The new hotels and lifts are going up unabated... however it looks like the new Brussels hotel on the snowfront is not going to be open for this Winter as the footprint is huge and they must be putting a huge underground parking in first as they are most definately still underground so to speak with the work that is going on. I dont suppose they were planning on being open this Winter anyway! The new hotel at the top of the Solaise is now taking shape and the Toviere hotel down here in La Daille seems to be doubling in size (well most of the new development is going to be private appartments but still the footprint is much bigger!).

The progress has been relentless for the La Daille new gondola lift

The new lift takes shape

One of the very many shows the town put on for free in the tourist office 'square' over the Summer

The main town centre is turned into a marquee pavillion with vendors from far and wide coming to sell their wares... some really nice things up for grabs!

The incredible 'marching' ducks / geese? are always in town for the faire avaline and if you are ever here for it you must see it - the ducks follow the lady around whilst a guy walks behind playing a sort of one man band outfit!

Im not quite sure what is happening down at the La Plain de la Daille with all the rock moving etc!

We went to the actual wedding (as we would know it in the UK) of Helen and Ash who own Snow Drone transfers last Saturday and what a weekend it was - several hundred people (mostly from the UK) came to it and it was impressive.... congrats guys!

I found this photo quite a mental comparison from the view you usually get skiing down the Madelaine piste in the middle of Winter!

Oh yes and the tour de France did come through the area last month too but I didnt see any of it unfortunately!

I cant really think what else to report this month....

Looking forward we obviously have the return of the kids to school, the end of Summer and things get back to normal again. I will be away some more but not as much as I have been so that will give me a chance to not only spend some time at home with the family etc but also to get a whole host of jobs done that need doing.

Until next month...

TTFN
latest report
Geese, not ducks! snowHead
ski holidays
What was the line from Only Fools? - Yes Rodney it is can'ard!
snow report
Great pics Steve!! Any news on what's happening with the Moris hotel in Val? Mark Warner are no longer selling holidays to it and the word was the building was being sold for redevelopment..

I wonder if the whole thing including the pub will be knocked down and rebuilt - I presume the owners of posh new apartments wouldn't desperately want a noisy live music bar below.

We are planning on staying in Tignes next year as they're building a new Cocorico in Val Claret.
snow report
End of another era!

The Pacific Bar has been sold and will close its doors this weekend.

Closing party this Saturday from 5pm.

Pacific's been empty the last couple iof times I went in there - Ed Mullitt playing to no-one.
latest report
Video of the gondola pylon construction at La Daille...

http://youtube.com/v/4BPEL1d7NSk

Must be terrifying for the pilot, for the few minutes where he is tethered before releasing. Shocked
ski holidays
I always find the skill of those pilots absolutely astonishing.
ski holidays
amazing, nerves of steel...no pun intended Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Time at home

Firstly to respond to some of the points above:

HoneyBunny No no update on the Moris. That is what I heard. But nothing happening there yet a while - just sitting there. Perhaps next Summer they will re-develop it! Yes the Cocorico there is going to be on the snowfront at Val Claret! And yes the Pacific has now gone... Vicky and Guffy sold up after 30 years and moved on - quite the end of an era yes!

Anyway back to the last month...

I have spent most of the time at home for once! I did a little driving work and have another tour coming up but basically there has been plenty of family time. I cant believe my little girl is now in her second year of pre-school. She is so active and full on... bounces around from speaking French to English and back again! Meanwhile Ben is into everything climbing pulling eating.... whatever he can get his hands on... he managed to climb up onto the dining table from a stool next to the table the other day - eeek

Especially now the kids have gone back to school etc I have managed to get on with some of the jobs at home like repainting the kids bedrooms and a host of other jobs. We have had some family days out and some really great walks too.

As the Summer comes to an end and the Summer tourists disappear the building works have continued across town. The hole in the ground that is the Brussells development is still that - they dont seem to have made much progress and I dont think there will be much to show in that area next Winter apart from a fenced off area - we shall see... apparently they had major water ingress issues so have been granted a 24/7 work license to work on it non-stop to try and get it as far on as possible. We shall see!

Meanwhile the pace of building works continues at a frantic pace. Over the road (I seem to have forgotten to take a photo this month BUT to be honest it looks pretty similar but the roof is nearing completion but everything else is still a concrete shell... oh and the cable has been attached now!) things are progressing well... Clare and I have been having a debate about where the loading will be and where the downloading exit will be and what the building on the front will be - perhaps a new lift pass office or something! Hopefully by next month we will have a better idea of what the finished set up will be and what it will look like!)

Family hike... this is somewhere on the Lievre Blanc part of the mountain as we paused for a picnic lunch!

The building for the top station of the La Daille gondola is progressing well

Normally you are looking down on the Trifollet and there is plenty of piste to chose from here

The Brussells development (photo taken from the Solaise Gondola) ... what a messy hole in the ground for now!

... and the new Tete du Solaise Hotel development is developing at a fast pace!

Even in the Summer we have drama when it comes to the power of the mountains... a few tourists had to be airlifted to safety / hospital about a month ago after they got trapped (somehow) up the Via Ferrata down here in La Daille...

Our friends Kelly and Ed got hitched too.... congrats...

There has been a little turn towards Winter weather wise but it only lasted a few hours - but is the case at the moment - warm days and cold nights (well close to zero anyway!)... we do occasionally see snow atop the mountains but only occasionally!

On another matter for those who are thinking of coming to Val this Winter... or know anyone that is then please remember to look at our little accommodation website - our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom place near the centre of town... www.freshchalets.com... AND also for those wanting some lessons then you can always drop me a line OR my wife Clare is now a totally independent instructor... see http://www.clareangus.co.uk

Dont think there is anything else to report this month. This time next month we shall be about to head back to the UK for a short break but a large chunk of the next month I am driving!

Anyway TTFN
snow report
Thanks for the update and glad you are all enjoying the late summer holidays.

I understand the building at the bottom of the new La Daille lift is a new lift pass/ information office with public toilets. Where we get on to go up the hill I had presumed would be a similar set up to the Solaise lift. Does it look different now the office is built ?

I had noticed the water holding areas at the Brussels development but didn’t realise they had hit such a big problem. It really was a mess last time we visited.

Enjoy the rest of the autumn.
snow conditions
muppet wrote:

I understand the building at the bottom of the new La Daille lift is a new lift pass/ information office with public toilets. Where we get on to go up the hill I had presumed would be a similar set up to the Solaise lift. Does it look different now the office is built ?

Yes, we got the plans through from our Co Pro, as they did a deal with the lift company for the land required.

Entry is from the piste and exit (download) is behind the pass office, as seen from the webcam.
ski holidays
Seems to be a lot of construction around the base area, and I assume in the village. Seems hotels on the snow front would be less appealing this winter. Is the village center still under heavy construction?
snow report
Your fresh chalets link appears to have a flaw?

It loads but then immediately links to a widgetserver site and there is no path back to yours?
snow report
It looks like the provider of the weather widget has shut down and someone else has taken control of their site, and any sites that include that widget. Try it in Firefox Private Browsing mode, as that will blocks some 3rd party widgets. To do that right click the link above while using Firefox and choose "Open link in New Private Window".

Chrome won't block 3rd party widgets, but they might block this particular one if they spot that it was a genuine widget, but isn't any more.
ski holidays
@thelem, I got the widget page with chrome
snow report
The code that I can see that is causing the problem is in http://www.freshchalets.co.uk/cgi-bin/snippet.cgi?todo=as_page;instance=4540812476;num=7;community_id=4007987050

Code:
<script>src="http://cdn.widgetserver.com/syndication/subscriber/InsertWidget.js"</script>
<noscript>Get the <a href="http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/weather2">Weather Widget</a> widget

Code modified to get past forum filters. If you are seeing a widget, it's not from widgetserver.com, as it has shut down
snow report
The link works in Explorer - nice place - may tuck it away for next season
latest report
@Steve Angus, just thought that Steve might want to cure it?
snow report
Guys thanks sooooooo much - have not logged on here for a couple of weeks now and now I have and seen all this pop up! EEEEK I do need to sort that out. How do I solve the issue - delete the weather widget thing from the website and that should sort it out? Thanks folks for helping!

BTW yes the new lift does seem to be shaping up the way people have mentioned.... I am REALLY hoping that somehow they have it set up so that you can ski right to the door of the lift (well start of the queuing area anyway at least!) WITHOUT the need to cross the road that is there... I had heard they were talking about re-routing the road around the back of the building so you really could ski right to the lift like lets say the Solaise gondola! Time will tell - we shall see!
ski holidays
I think your wish may have been granted concerning the re-routing of the road.

http://blog.valdiseretelepheriques.fr/everything-about-daille-project/?lang=en

I’m out in town the end of next week and looking forward to seeing the progress.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy