Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller, just reporting what I saw. It just happened to be boarders in both cases. I'm not trying to bash boarders here! The original point of my post was that the lower section of L is prone to people hooning and I wasn't surprised to hear of a serious incident. It turns out not to have been a collision after all.

Apologies @Steve Angus, you can have your thread back snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Steve Angus,
Good afternoon. I don’t suppose you have an updated version of the monthly snow depth (historical) that you posted a couple of months ago, or could share the link? It was very interesting then, and perhaps even more so now.
Many thanks
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not saying it is only boarders (I definitely saw a few out of control skiers while I was out there last week), BUT had a boarder about two foot away from absolutely nailing me when he jumped back onto the piste out of the trees without even checking who was there. Also watched as another boarder rode straight into my GF from uphill when she was carefully traversing a very busy mogul field

Maybe they just have a lower level of piste awareness Razz
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller:

Quote:
All skiers should try boarding and see the difference in peripheral vision. Rant over but there are far more out of control skiers on the slopes than boarders. Everyone should take care.

As I teach both skiing and snowboarding I certainly agree with the sentiment that everyone should take care. When I'm on skis the boarders look at me 'funny' and when I'm on my board the skiers look at me 'funny'. Essentially (incorrectly in both cases) the 'problems' on the mountain are often cause by boarders taking too direct a line down the slope... staying in the fall line too much. This is because they essentially struggle to round the turn off and use turn shape to control speed... all they can do is pivot the board and skid in the fall line - boarders learn side slipping (aka skidding) very early in their progression and then cannot do anything else (hence skiers often say boarders scrape all the snow off the slope). Ineffective posture and balance lead to lack of edge grip... the reliance on skidding meaning that they feel more confident hitting the fall line and using speed when skill is actually lacking. On the flip side skiers struggle to (sometimes) do anything other than use more slope width as they are taking on slopes too steep for them.... coupled with this the highly skilful way of being able to manoeuvre in control to the side of the slope and make turns at SLOW speed in a small area is trickier on skis so people end up making turns far too much out of the fall line... with more crowded slopes everyone feels like they should be hitting the fall line more and therefore overall skill levels fall way short of where they should be. Modern equipment is unfortunately very much at fault as the equipment gives the user the illusion of skill whereas the underlying technique etc is often lacking... older, longer straighter skis (for example) instilled much more good technique and skill in the user that is for sure!

simo1234 - I have been trying to locate such a thing myself recently... thanks for the query. As soon as I get hold of one ill post - am fascinated know myself!

Nice

It was a nice start to the day... chilly but sunny and I made my way to meet a new client at the Yule hotel... I had the wife in a family where they had booked 3 instructors from TDC... she had skied once before but essentially it was building her confidence back up and little by little we made our way from the Savonettes onto the Village lift then onto the magic carpet up top and finally a run on the Madelaine - nice work 'C'

I did my periscope on the slopes of the Solaise....

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOxwApqZAWGB

...then lunch was again an 'admin' lunch at the bottom.

In this photo (taken at just the correct moment) you can see the evidence of another classic error in ski technique... the flex in this skier comes from the waist and not in the ankle... by default this means he has his weight behind the middle of the ski and will not pivot the ski correctly so will skid every turn... by being 'broken' at the waist he will also find it tricky to steer a rounded line and will spend a large amount of time in the fall line skidding from turn to turn.... if NOTHING else off piste he will really struggle.............. and yes I can tell all this from just this still shot!

This afternoon I took out an old friend of mine whom I taught on the way to becoming an instructor, back in my Hemel Snow Centre days a few years back! She was here with her fiancé who also had his NZSIA 2 qualification and what an afternoon we had... some off piste (nice snow out there) some carving and some short radius turns - we touched on quite a few areas of their skiing that needed attention and had a really fun catch up!

Straight after skiing it was back to the ranch as A and K popped around for a cuppa and to meet my little boy and daughter again... it was a really nice couple of hours and we had some yummy cake but A and K spoilt Ben and Olivia once again... oh and some nice gin for Clare and I!!!!!!!!!

That pretty much is the story of the day!

A few things in local news to report - in no particular order:

- We saw an incident off the side of the Fontaine Froide piste yesterday morning and thought it was just a regular pisteurs rescue of an injured person but turns out a Swedish man out skiing with friends and family and (as reported by Radio Val) accompanied by a tour operator guide suffered a heart attack. He was discovered hunched over suffering the attack by 2 British skiers passing by... despite the pisteurs - quite a few of them getting involved he could not be saved. The PGHM chopper was called in but could not get close really because of the thick fog that was floating in and out... and a doctor from town was brought up but in the end to no avail! He was 55!

- The primary school (so shouldn't affect Olivia school) staff are striking (there are LOADS AND LOADS of strikes across France coming up in the next few months as everyone protests against Macrons labour reforms) next week here in Val so the school will be closed on Thursday.

- A new building will be built near the base of the new La Daille gondola. It will NOT house any staff as the existing upstairs in the La Daille gondola building does but instead will have some offices, public loos and possibly a little snack stop like the Lounge atop the Solaise!

- Some sort of upgrades are going to take place to the Datcha restaurant this Summer including some new public loos!

- The base of the old Solaise Cable Car station in town is going to be converted into staff apartments.

- Lift pass prices for next year are going to increase on average by 3.18%

Think that is all for today.

TTFN
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mega quick

It has been a very hectic day... the day started far too early with Olivia coming in to say 'hello' at some ungodly hour then Ben waking up and it all started far too early!!!! arghhh!

So this morning I took my team for a carving session and we headed up Solaise for a change of scenery and also the space that heading to Fornet allows. After some work on a quiet (always is initially) Glacier Express including an interesting stack by 'A' we had some technical focuses for our carving to get to grips with and so we took the 'up-and-over' 'scare chair' to the Fornet sector and continued our work.... some really good progress was made.

It was however BALTIC up there - it was like early January weather - very very cold indeed. The windchill when you were skiing was awful. Anyway we finished by coming down to the Fornet and taking the bus back into town! My timing was a little off as I got back a little behind schedule but not to worry!

A + K have sent me a few photos they have snapped over the sessions this week including the 'jump for joy' shot they asked me to partake in at the col this morning.... See you next year folks and take care.

After lunch I had my team from the other day once again for some off piste action. It wasnt quite what I was planning of the afternoon but anyway first up we enjoyed my secret stash which once again provided a fair few powder turns on virgin snow with minimal walking required. The terrain is lovely and mellow there so its just a 'nice' like jaunt really! Then we did a quick bus stop through the trees and the snow was good. With the colder temps it is keeping the snow so perfect. Anything south and west is taking some sun and I think the Spring slopes are starting to set up nicely!

Anyway we then dived into a grand vallon. Once again the more technical and steeper skiers left produced the goods and we got in some excellent turns in wonderful snow. It was then time to dive in the Col Pers so up we went... however as we arrived at the top of the chair I noticed that some valley cloud was building fast and spilling over so I decided that the Col in potentially thick cloud would probably not be the best idea so with a heavy heart we scrubbed that idea and instead headed to a Pays Desert. After a poor start I was pleasantly surprised with some of the snow we found!

A blast down and on the bus into town was followed by a drink at Blue Note with an old friend as well as a friend of Clares - both of whom are out here on holiday this week but however with both Olivia and Clare there there is little rest for the wicked to stop and chat. So we had a good couple of hours before having to slide off home and get the kids into bed and then I got ready as I have just been in town for dinner at Le Lodge with an old university friend of mine (everyone seems to be here on holiday this week!). A VERY nice meal it was indeed.

And that brings you all up to date... sorry no time for my periscope today but back on the game tomorrow

TTFN
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice bit of luck

I was rather glad this afternoon that my lesson got cancelled as I needed a little time off (lots of days back to back at the moment for the next few weeks) and it gave me a chance to have lunch with my friend.

I was at the meeting point nice and early this morning and it was another glorious day with the sun shining but with cold temps still! My old university friend Jo and her boyfriend were having the lesson with me after our lovely meal last night. They were there at 0845 so we started nice and early to get fresh tracks... After a warm up on the glacier express we did several variations of my 'intro' terrain and it was obvious that we needed to be 100% north / north east to avoid any (albeit thin) suncrust that has started to develop. Working on plenty of technique en route we hit the Col Pers and once you get in (and getting in is easy this year compared to normal) everyone fans out nicely and I found some lovely clean lines and fresh snow. The only sighting of wildlife we got was a large eagle near the Fornet but the gorge was still in wonderful condition. I suspect that that will be my last trip through the gorge this year as I dont have a huge amount of off piste coming up and with the rising temps trips through there will HAVE to be earlier in the day due to the terrain trap and south facing slopes above of the gorge at the end! Suppose I could do a Vallonet variation instead though!

We then had a lovely long lunch at the Crozets before I came home and had a lazy afternoon. Im looking forward to having an early night too before another day dawns tomorrow!

In local news a 25 year old man had a VERY lucky escape after effectively falling all the way down the back of the Ouillette peak (imagine you are looking up the Cugnai lift line and it is the peak to the left as you look at it). He lost his footing and fell one hell of a long way down! However he was taken to hospital but doesn't seem to have life changing / threatening injuries... lucky lad!

Photo courtesy of Radio Val

My team for today enjoying one of my secret stashes of powder!

Clare was on her last stint of community service duty this evening for her lift pass and was giving out hot chocs etc in town and tonight it was the theme of the launch of the BMW Winter Golf event - which is mini-golf combined with real golf during the day with the element of snow thrown in to the equation!

The only bit of local news is that the avalanche rescue dog training zone underneath the Datcha chairlift is ready for the training to happen and that starts tomorrow I believe.

The latest instalment of my SkiBro "Zero to Hero" video is out today and Sean is getting pretty good eh!

https://www.facebook.com/SkiBroOfficial/videos/415281185551133/

I remembered to do my Periscope today too:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djGXdYmWByGZ

Oh and the Val piste bashing team had these amazing photos taken and have just released them - awesome shots eh... who can name the various pistes they are bashing in the photos though?

And finally for today this week TDC Snow Report video:

https://www.facebook.com/tdcski/videos/10156195081958607/

OK TTFN folks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Slightly nerdy, but interesting to see that VDI choose Italian Leitner Prinroth machines from the other end of the alps rather than Kassboher. A good choice snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Peter S, That's pretty nerdy Toofy Grin

@Steve Angus, great photos - is that last one Rhone Alpes? The penultimate one looks like Madeleine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S - good spotting !
moosepig - correct and correct but what about the 4th from bottom?

FFS

The morning was a more relaxed one than normal as I was meeting at 0930 at the top of Tuffs as opposed to in town which meant I could cut the corner off and not go into town but divert my energies to heading there instead! So I met a new client - a nice family from Ireland and avid reader of this blog and we were off.

Being new to the EK it was a mixture of technique, showing them around, getting them warmed up for this trip but having some fun too. It was a good session and I must say that that with about 2/3 weeks of experience each they are doing so very well. By the end of the session we were pretty comfortably coming down the OK Orange amongst other reds so good progress. More of the same tomorrow.

My periscope from today:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLaNmPbMKm

I had to shoot back to town very quickly at the end as I was going to have to get off piste kit and eat my lunch all within 30 mins so it was a rush but we got there.

So this afternoon I had an interesting 'intro to off piste' session as it was 3 guys (1 on a board to make decision making more challenging) and they all had different attitudes, needs desires and skill levels as to what they needed / wanted out of the session - eek. Cutting a long story short despite finding some nice powder I think the reality of learning how to ski powder and the challenges to learning that coupled with basic errors that needed fixing in their skiing hit home. Cutting a long story short we changed plan and had a really fun descent down the guts of the Cugnai which they loved!

After skiing I had a really quick change and cuppa before heading down the hill. First up was to stop to collect a new hoover in Bourg as our hoover in the place we let out has broken down.... however nightmare struck as I managed to reverse our car a tiny bit too far and dented the boot but in doing so the rear windscreen managed to shatter..... bug!

So I was not in the best mood. After collecting a large food shop from Super U on click and collect it was off to a colleagues house for the annual TDC curry night. Yummy curries all round and nice to have a social catch up with everyone. I only stayed an hour as needed to get back up the hill with the food shop anyway!

So that pretty much brings you up to date.

Clares mum arrives tomorrow for a weeks stay with us acting as baby sitter mainly so that Clare and I can both go to work.... either way it will be nice to see her. She arrives at 7am tomorrow so that will be the alarm clock!

The first full day of the BMW Winter Gold Cup is on in town at the moment and the Europe Ryder Cup captain Thomas Bjorn is here!

This is a photo from yesterday - me with my friend Jo when we descended the Col Pers - I liked the photo so thought id share it today!

TTFN
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4th from bottom = Arcelle.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus, I reckon the 3rd picture is Arcelle.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
endoman and sno trax - of course it is - well done!

A nice outing

Not having to set the alarm this morning would have been awesome if Olivia and Ben hadn't acted as the alarm clock on more than one occasion - arghhhh!

Anyway no sooner were we awake properly than Clares mum arrived... having taken the overnight train and bus up the hill! So she came in with some yummy Chevalot goodies so we enjoyed a family breakfast!

I wish I could have stayed a lot longer but needs must and I headed up the hill. The weather was stunning, no-one around and perfect conditions - I decided with my team to take them on a little tour around Val... so in a nutshell we went from one end of Val to the other and everything in-between - it was a really nice trip. It took a little longer than planned so I didnt get back home until a little later than planned.... not to worry!

The afternoon was a very casual affair as Clare, her mum and both kids headed out so I had a very rare afternoon at home all alone. I took the opportunity to do very little really.... however I did do my periscope

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1rmGPmRzaqyJN

So that was my one and only afternoon off for the next couple of weeks!

Now the Easter holidays have started in the UK you would have thought that it was going to be really busy this week on the slopes but it shouldn't be... just UK holidays not French so I dont think it will be mega busy (however we shall see!?!?!).

Lovely weather again today!!!

Now a little puzzle for everyone here.... my iPhone weather forecast app has 'Val d'Isere' as a stored location AND also as you might know it also uses your current location to give you the local weather.... again that is Val d'Isere. SO why when the following two screenshots were taken within about 3 seconds of each other are they showing very different things???? I'm puzzled - any tech heads know why?

This photo from Radio was obviously staged but was done to show off the Winter Golf comp that is happening in the Manchet Valley this week - think a snow version of golf!

Anyway folks I think that is all for now.

Back to it tomorrow.

TTFN
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That’s Thomas Bjorn, Ryder Cup captain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is that golf photo taken from the top of the Bellevarde Express near Peau de Vache ?
Nowhere near the golf !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@muppet, Radio Val was saying one morning (Friday I think) that Bjorn was going to be at the top of the Bellevarde. I guess he was up there for the photo shoot!
snow conditions
Just returned from another great week in Val. The snow conditions and weather was awesome.

@Steve Angus, thanks for more great lessons. As always, great to catch up and have you try and improve my ski technique. Not always an easy task but you always deliver Very Happy

If anyone is thinking of lessons, I highly recommend Steve and his colleagues at TDC. Another member of our party also took part in one of their coaching clinics and really enjoyed it. I can certainly notice the improvement to our techniques.

On a side note, I also recommend that people get Carre Neige with their lift passes. For only a few Euros a day, it is worth every penny if you need assistance on the mountain. One of our party badly broke their leg in a fall but the initial recovery off the mountain and transfer down to Bourg hospital was so easy with it. The Ski Patrol in Val were great responding and getting them down.
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:

This photo from Radio was obviously staged but was done to show off the Winter Golf comp that is happening in the Manchet Valley this week - think a snow version of golf!

Oooh, those 2 photos are just the thing to get my toes tingling in anticipation of our forthcoming week at EK. I thought it was risky booking the second week of the Easter hols, but no, it looks like it could be my best conditions ever. Arriving on the 7th. Excited!!
ski holidays

Amazing weather
Just a quick photo to show the valley as the sun begins to set

Can you see the Solais lift going up the hill?
ski holidays
endoman - yup
muppet - again 'yup'
sno trax - thank you.... cheques in the post! On the Carte Neige point - yea totally worth it. Last thing you want in the event of emergency is mucking around with paperwork... if you dont have Carte Neige then you MUST carry your insurance paperwork around with you - a very large pain in the backside if you dont have it and you need to be rescued!
alr1970 - get excited - conditions are wonderful
bar shaker - nice.... yes I can see the lift going up.... not dis-similar to my view.

Where was everyone?

It was an interesting start to the day with the clocks changing and Sunday lies in from everyone else but I got myself suited and booted and headed into town as I needed to drop my boarding stuff off before heading to Tignes to meet the team! On the first Olympique lift up I managed to get my periscope done showing deserted slopes.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1rmxPmbLNzDKN

Meeting the team we decided that a little bit of work on moguls coupled with a trip to Tignes Les Brevieries would be the course of action to follow. So we had a nice trip 'around the world' and had some good technique development but where was everyone - it was mighty quiet up there! As the temps soared it was a warm day and the slopes were starting to soften up but crucially I noticed a guided group tackling the first Spring slopes of the year - yay it has arrived!

It was a good morning.

Lunch was a dashed affair back in our offices changing into my snowboarding gear and eating my sandwich. This afternoon was then spent with an old client of mine (teenager) that wanted to learn to snowboard this trip... since she already skis (well) introducing her 1-1 to boarding was simple and we spent most of the session on the magic carpet up top on the softening slopes - perfect! She did really well and by the end of the session was completing nice heel side turns and making an attempt on toe side turns - good on you!

There was an update today from the powers that be that show that the total amount of snowfall this season is now 7.80m. This would make it something like the most snowy Winters since records started over 30 years ago APART From the 12/13 and 94/95 seasons here in Val HOWEVER since we have well over another month of the season to go that figure should easily be passed I reckon!

Not much else to report from today although based on todays experience I dont think the pistes are going to be that busy this coming week - surprisingly!

Anyway TTFN
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
why when the following two screenshots were taken within about 3 seconds of each other are they showing very different things?

Those forecasts look pretty similar to me. Both are showing the current conditions as clear and -8C. The big visual difference is that the second forecast has a sunrise time, and realises that the current time is before that, so it shows "Clear" with a dark background instead of "Sunny" with a light background. Some of the temperatures have changed by a degree or two, that's likely because one of them is using data that was stored on your phone (probably from yesterday), but then it got an updated forecast with more accurate temperatures.
snow report
thelem

Thanks for that. Puzzled still though. Currently one of forecasts says -4 and the other -3 and still forecast is different slightly and have restarted the phone. Why, when it's a forecast why would it use old and out of data from yesterday or even an hour ago when it should be getting the data by being pushed to the phone?
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, I was about to say the same, either the data on the app hadn't refreshed, or the "source" data from the weather channel changed.
ski holidays
As for not being so busy Steve - of all the families we ski with at Easter - spread around the country - our kids finish the earliest on Wednesday this week. Most finish Friday, so I expect next week will be busier.
snow report
Gloom and low cloud everywhere... except Fornet.

Weird microclimate.

I expect Tignes is getting quite a bit of snow as it’s almost gone by the time it gets to Soleil.
snow report
sno trax wrote:

If anyone is thinking of lessons, I highly recommend Steve and his colleagues at TDC. Another member of our party also took part in one of their coaching clinics and really enjoyed it. I can certainly notice the improvement to our techniques.

Would definitely echo this sentiment. Had lessons with one of Steve’s colleagues, Lauder, earlier in Feb and made significant improvements on my skiing.

Made all the better as well with it being low season, our improver clinic ended up with only myself and one other. almost a private lesson!
ski holidays
snow report
Steve - please tell me which lift that is in Sunday's photo.
ski holidays

We sat at Eidelweis and weather watched over some amazing onion soup.

The wind was coming over Sassierre and back down into the valley, creating a hole that stretched from Datcha to Fornet. The rest of the EK was thick cloud, as Steve had above us.

Yesterday evening we went out with my estate agent friend to the Cave for some wine and charcuterie. Both Cyril and Antoine (the owner) are serious tourers and have amazing knowledge of the back country around the Vanoise Park. Antoine is especially worth talking to if you fancy some back country.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jehu, it's Tommeuses. Can't think of another 8-seater in the EK snowHead
snow conditions
Jehu - yes as moosepig says - looking back just after leaving the base station of the Tommeuse lift.... it is the only 8 seater in the EK
bar shaker - yes it was 'interesting' weather yesterday and more so today.... more on that in a moment! Cyril (ChaletTime) lives just below me... lovely guy. And Antoine is such a lovely guy too isnt he! They are quite into their off piste for sure! The Cave has come on leaps and bounds the last few years and Antoine knows his wine doesn't he! If you dont know where the Cave is then think - next to the XV and Baraque bars / restaurant in near the main bust station in town!

Just as we thought it would

At breakfast time this morning it would looking 'OK' out there - not too bad in the weather department but again fairly warm temps (i.e. above zero). However when I did my broadcast....

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMKgqAdMRPJL

.... it was looking OK with some sunshine and clouds around but the forecast said that it would deteriorate - especially around about early afternoon... and that it would do.

My team were off buying their first set of skis therefore the meet time was pushed back to 10am.... in the end they were another 30 mins late so it was not until 10.30 that we got going. We headed up Bellevarde and little L was on form and had all the attention as his older brother was off skiing with some friends all day... so mum, dad and myself all headed off and we covered a lot of ground before (as the weather moved in) did one quick lap down to the La Daille before taking the gondola up and eating at the folie.... the food is reasonable in there if not a little expensive if you ask me but after several hours of skiing everyone was welcome of a long lunch break!

As soon as lunch was over we headed down to La Daille and by now the weather had really moved in and HUGE snowflakes were (and continue) falling.

Clare, her mum and Olivia (with Ben of course) were off at a school 'sing song' show thing... Olivia did very well - I won't upload the photo here but I was proud watching Olivia singing with her class mates!

So not too much else to report from today really.... apart from to say that the snow is scheduled to continue all night long and it now looks like we will not only have quite a descent amount of snow over the next few days - there really isnt much 'settled' weather in the forecast for the next week or so..... that will mean that we are HIGHLY likely to end this season with record amounts of snow.... for the first time IN TOWN we might record over 8m of snow to have fallen.... plenty of people may point to the fact that other resorts get that sort of amount of snow regularly BUT often other resorts take their measurements at the top of the mountain.... so 8m+ in town would be the greatest since consistent and regular records began over 30 years ago - WOW!

So I am posting early this evening as Clare and I are heading out for dinner - the first time the two of us have been out for a LONG TIME in the evening together! Granny is baby-sitting! We are going to a dinner party.... yippee. So in anticipation of a couple of glasses of vino I am posting early!

TTFN

The best weather we had all day.... it has to deteriorate seriously after that!
snow conditions
@Steve, I can’t believe we missed you as we are in the Folie too. We stayed and danced in the snow and boy did it come down. It’s possibly even heavier now. Tomorrow could be very good.

They kept clearing the bar st the Folie but gave up in the end.

A good fun day!

snow conditions
Had a few bottles of this at the Cave. Nectar, if you are passing that way.

ski holidays
@bar shaker, @Steve Angus, Cave has become a favourite of ours. With being in the wine trade Chris really enjoys it.
snow conditions
I just booked a very late week in the Espace Killy, leaving on the 22nd April - looks like there is still going to be plenty of snow about then!
snow report
@Johnnyseven, plenty of snow!!

Today was epic. Powder between boot and knee deep. We caught a couple of hours of first tracks under Cugnai before the clouds rolled in. Choccy at Datcha was followed by lunch at Madeline, with the weather app promising sun at 2pm. It arrived at 2.10.

Mariais and Arcelle sides were barely touched and still in perfect condition.

I’m sunburnt and knackered. Off for dinner at La Moura to celebrate.
ski holidays
Johnnyseven - yes it will be fine then... even in a 'bad' year there would be plenty to keep you entertained for a week at that time of the year!

Oh yes the weather again!

Just when you think that either cloud or snow or sun would prevail you end up with one of those days where you are kept on your toes! We woke up to reasonable weather but it came and went all day long! Right now this evening it is actually raining in town - arghhhh!

Anyway we had a really nice evening last night with friends having a lovely meal and a couple of drinks! Not being vegetarian myself I was pleasantly surprised by the food. Anyway back to today...

It was a 0930 meet this morning and with about 10cm of fresh snow in town and about 20cm up top there was quite a lot of people eager to get up there especially as there were glimpses of sun around! We are very close now to getting to the 8m of snow in town and breaking all previous records - wow!

Anyway it looked nicer in the direction of Solaise and with the weather coming in from the east it was a case of running away from the weather... the problem with better weather and fresh snow is it gets bumped and cut up so quickly that means that it is not as nice for people to ski on.... OK its soft but that is about as far as it gets! Anyway we mainly pottered about on the Madelaine / Datcha and Glacier Express lifts... they were still doing lots of avalanche clearance work well into the middle of the morning which limited us somewhat but still we had fun! It was fun showing the family (from the safety of the Glacier Express lift) the PIDA work going on on the ridge above the Cugnai lift... one pisteur has the charge, the other the detonator and the third is the observer further down.... The up and over lift I think was also having technical problems so that wasnt running either which meant the slopes were quite busy up there!

There was some entertainment to see too.... the avalanche dogs training underneath the Datcha lift - it is going on for a few days so if you are up that way it is cool to see what goes on.

My periscope from this morning:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1zqKVrNXdbAKB

If you look closely behind the Datcha restaurant here you can see the dogs and pisteurs doing 'their thang!'

We ended up having another late lunch at the Tete du Solaise (good food in there me thinks!) and then when we came out (after a few hours of deteriorating weather) the weather was on the improvement.... we decided to take a trip over the up and over (which was open now) towards the Fornet glacier for a change of scenery and it was deserted up there. We literally were the last up the glacier and were pretty much followed all the way back to the Signal where we took the cable car back down... we ended up sharing the cable car with the bins etc from the Signal!

So it was a late return home and after the usual of kids bathtime etc I now need to head up to our parking space to fix our broken rear windscreen - arghhhh!

Tomorrow should see similar weather as today... as we edge ever closer to the 8m mark!

TTFN
snow report
bar shaker - yes it looked pretty nice off piste today if a little heavy and wind compressed but I was well and truly on the pistes today... "Mariais" what do you mean by that!!!!
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, sorry for my typos. I meant the area between Marais and Col de la Madeleine. I lapped it with the Datcha lift until it was tracked out. Great fun.
ski holidays
bar shaker - ???? The Marais - that is not in Val d'Isere... up on the Solaise you have Datcha, Madelaine and Glacier lifts and the Manchet???? So not sure which one you mean... but yes lots of options up that area that holds the snow for a long time; easily accessible but not 'popular' for off piste! I have a couple of secret stashes tucked away up there!

THE RECORD HAS FALLEN

We have officially broken the record.... yes 8m has now fallen in resort since the start of the season - the most since records started! Well records that had continuity anyway!

We woke to about 13cm of snow in town and probably about 20cm+ up top. However it was looking pretty grey and snowy right from the offset!

Who can tell me why I took this photo in particular; who and why?

Anyway it was the usual 0930 start and again I did my broadcast beforehand:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1DXxyXVkmnNJM

I mentioned in my broadcast that there was an ongoing incident 'somewhere at the bottom of the slopes' this morning... involving a fair few fire trucks and support vehicles... I had a hunch where I thought it was but didnt know for sure... anyway as I thought when we loaded the Olympique lift at the start of the lesson and looking on Radio Val later on indeed it was at the Barmes de l'Ours....

25 firefighters were on scene and it sounds like there was a problem with a flume in the chimney.... anyway 30 people on the 5th floor were evacuated and it was more precaution than anything but some damage was done!The wooden exterior decoration of the top of the chimney tip burned in part.

The fresh snow meant that the avalanche risk was 3 today but I think it was higher than that and I was to see several skier triggered slides about - some huge! No reports of anything serious though!

The other factor with the warm temps and the continuing snowfall was that it was to get VERY bumpy and very slick the snow, very quickly! Arghhhhh

Anyway the sun was coming and going and the snow coming and going... for example the following 2 photos were taken in quick succession pointing in different directions:

Anyway we headed over to Tignes and did an 'around the world' but the snow meant that it was slow going with the little'un... ultimately we ended up at Tignes Cuisine for lunch - boy I had forgotten how good the wraps are in there - awesome.... and great value too!

We ended up getting home about 1630 in the end.

I got back just as Clares brother and his son arrived.... it will be cosy but fun for a few days over Easter!

So after spending the last few hours sorting everything out and watching the cousins playing (and getting too excited as they are staying in the same room tonight!) all is finally calm!

The traffic forecast for Saturday is for 33000 cars coming up therefore fairly busy on the roads - delays are to be expected!

Not to much else to report today i dont think.

Lots more of the same tomorrow with the same booking!

TTFN
latest report
@Steve Angus, Your photo from the bus stop?? Is that the army bootpacking up in the distance or a line of hopeful BASI candidates wink

Or is it rather large group of beginners on the La Daille nursery slope?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy