Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
intermediate wrote:
Thanks for great updates. Hope all well after recent minor ailments.
Late entry for Monday's caption competition, the new sculpture top of Bellevarde, with more than a nod to caper movie The Italian Job. 'I only told you to blow the bloody snowboards up!' wink

So much for val being posh - in the dolomites they leave BMW's up mountains.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another late entry for the caption comp - Steve Angus' offer to drive his customers' skis to the slopes comes to an icy end on the first trial.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...and another even later entry...

"Val d'Isere Uber coverage found eager, but lacking..."
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loving this thread Steve - thanks for helping to get me through work until we leave for a week in La Daille on 7th January! Literally counting the days now!!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last sunny day for a while

As we await the snow storm(s) - yes plural, it was the last sunny day for a while and what a corker of a day... lots of nice sun but not too warm and pistes in great nick... had an admin day but wish I had had a slide!

So yes it looks more and more like with the arrival of a north front pushing down from the north it will mean a huge drop in temperatures and either side of this front it will bring lots of snow... but the thing is that it looks like the jet stream is pushing south which will allow several fronts one after the other to roll in over the next week or so that could bring lots and lots of snow.... fingers crossed... the only thing that this will be bad for is ski racing this next week and we really are looking forward to seeing Dave Ryding kicking but on the Face on Sunday!!!!!!

tonyswift - thanks.... bet you can't wait. Hope between now and then there will be lots of snow for you!

In local news the new (after what has seemed like many years of building) Letincelle restaurant at the foot of the Solaise finally opened. This restaurant is own / run by the same people who had / have the Clochetons restaurant near the end of Santons BUT crucially that restaurant is shutting down and this is going to be the 'replacement' for the owners. It is right under the bottom of the base of the Solaise (old one obviously) cable car. Anyway I must get in there sometime to check it out!!! It looks quite nice in the Radio Val photo (wasnt invited obviously to the grand opening):

I did my Periscope quite late on this afternoon and did a little tour around La Daille for a change of scenery!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mnGerEBOqQJX

So tomorrow I am heading down the valley to do some shopping and errands and a few other pieces of admin - trying to get ahead of myself going into the festive period!

As I noted on my periscope earlier the only route down into town (I should have added on my scope that from the Bellevarde / Tignes side) now is down a black run (Raye into La Daille) - this is because the Face is closed for the World Cup, Santons doesnt have enough snow so is closed, ditto the Epaule du Charvet and now the OK Orange / route on the lower section is being prepared by winch cats ahead of the womens World Cup racing for next week! Don't get caught out - download if in doubt!

Anyway folks think that is all for now... ill finish with a nice photo I took late this afternoon just after I finished my periscope actually.

TTFN
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Angus wrote:
same people who had / have the Clochetons restaurant near the end of Santons BUT crucially that restaurant is shutting down and this is going to be the 'replacement' for the owners.

WHAAAAAAAAT!?? Noooooo they can't shut Le Clochetons, it's one of my favourite lunch stops Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It's always busy and has such a gorgeous view up the Manchet valley and it's a wonderful sun trap.

MEH.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HoneyBunny - yea I'm afraid so.... going, going, gone!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The first wave hits

We woke to a very different picture out the window to when we went to bed last night... it was a strong wind and there was a good 15cm on the ground in town. It was a rushed start to the morning as both Clare and I slept through our alarm and it actually was Olivia that woke us up when she came into our bedroom!

Anyway no sooner was Olivia off to school but I was heading off to collect our car from the underground parking and heading down to Bourg... I had a long list of jobs that needed doing including a large food shop and then I came back up after lunch!!!!

Our Christmas dinner arrived late in the afternoon - www.hu.ski offer an amazing Christmas frozen meal delivery service (amongst other menus) so that has meant that our fridge and freezer are now overflowing!

Anyway suddenly it was time to go and collect Olivia and I decided that it might be nice to take her to the bib draw for the world cup in town and also to see her mummy serving (for her community service) free hot chocolate to the punters in town.... it would all have worked out perfectly if the wind had not gotten up and the whole event had to be moved indoors which meant in effect for the visitors that it was cancelled - still it means Clare got our of her first round of service this evening!

So we headed home instead for a family meal!

Isnt this a COOL large scale model of the resort (on show in the tourist office - love it!)

Anyway the resort is now battening down the hatches as strong winds are forecast overnight (I concur as I can hear it outside) and lots and lots of snow is going to keep rolling in as lots of weather fronts are lining up out there to hit the Alps!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Tomorrow and Sunday the Mens World Cup races could be problematic to run but we shall see.

So tomorrow morning I am recording a podcast for an organisation called skipedia so shall out that up when a ling is know - should be fun!

Anyway think that is all for now.

TTFN

P.S. My periscope from today: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1gqxvYbROWgJB
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not quite what we were expecting

When I opened the curtains this morning I was a little shocked as to how placid it was. All night long the winds had been a blowin and it was amazing that things were actually moving out there. Radio Val were reporting that 117kmh winds were reported up high overnight and only 5cm of fresh snow had fallen in town!!!!! Hmmm not what was promised and it didnt help that Olivia came in to wake us up early!

Anyway it was a rather lazy start to the day - some scrambled eggs and a few household chores although the hoover blowing up did not help!!!! Arghhhhh annoying!

So after a chilled morning I had a 45 minute 'involvement' on a podcast that will be released later this week... it is with a company called SkiPedia - check them out on on Twitter etc... was a good 'interview' and chat!

After a quick lunch I took Olivia for a ski and 3 hours of fun and frolics followed - she did pretty well and the hot chocolate was (as always) the highlight of her afternoon!

Mean while on the World Cup racing front the volunteers were up top at 0530am this morning to clear the snow off the race track on the Face AND amazingly the racing started on time (albeit with a lower start position due to the persistent winds that dropped off over the day!). Having 200 volunteers certainly helped things!

Ill try to get to the Mens Slalom tomorrow to watch Dave Ryding but sounds like it was a good race today - well done team France and Alexi Pinterault!

So the weather eased off during the day and this evening it has gotten VERY VERY cold - below minus 20 already and that temp is likely to drop lower overnight! However they are forecasting some serious weather and snow coming in tomorrow!

After the ski with Olivia it was back home for my Periscope broadcast:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdGYMvenrEGX

... then Clare had to head into town to serve vin chaud as part of her community service commitment!

I was home alone to spend some time with Olivia and Ben and get them ready for bed before the babysitter arrived.

A quick handover and it was off out for dinner with the TDC team at the (under new management) Sur La Montange!

And that pretty much brings you all up to date - have been very brief this evening as I'm rather tired and since it is after midnight I really need to get to bed..... however I am hoping I will be able to see some skiing on the Face tomorrow with Dave Ryding and it will be interesting to see how much snow falls too!

TTFN
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just been watching the giant slalom on ski Sunday and we wondered where the start gate was situated on the slope. We found it amusing the commentator talking about the flat bit! IIRC the commentator is not a skier, I'd like too know where the 'flats' are on the Face! Maybe it's that little ledge about half way down where I have to stop as my legs are shaking and I need to muster courage for the next bit......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some of the most intense snowfall (certainly for this time of the year) I have ever seen

You hear of the days (of legend) when a metre of snow falls whilst you are drinking a cuppa and you never think you will experience it... however today was one of those days. We got a (bit) of a lie in until 7.30 this morning and (bearing in mind when I went to bed in the early hours this morning it was BALTIC and clear (ish) skies) when I opened the curtains - wow it was different place out there - already about 10-15cm had fallen and the flakes were large and falling hard and fast!

Anyway it was a lazy couple of hours then we got dressed and headed up to watch the first run of the mens slalom - complete with Union Jack flag! We just missed the first bus and there were TONNES of people all over the place trying to get up there to watch.... Anyway we got there just as Dave Ryding was coming down (it was just Olivia and I as Clare was taking Ben to the swimming pool direct and we were to meet en famile there).

Olivia stayed entertained for just about enough time to watch the main runners come down and then when Dave came out of the mix zone she was able to cheers his name and wave the Union Jack!!!!

People often enquire as to why / how as instructors we get involved in the racing.... and I usually reply that as part of our 'community service' to get our lift pass we have to be 'lisseurs' on the course.... this essentially means we slide the course after each and ever single runner and there are certain stop points.... so a racer sets off... cameras follow them and the course workers run onto the race line / slide down the race line side slipping making sure the course remains as flat as possible and as fair for all runners as possible.... on a day like today it also gets the soft snow away from the race line - this all helps keep the racers safer as they could hit the softer snow and go flying.... anyway the following photo shows a team of 3 lisseurs sliding the bottom of the slalom a few seconds after a racer finished and whilst another is further up the course and before these maintenance workers clear the line ready for the next racer.

After the first run I met with Clare and Ben and we had a family swim altogether and it was SO lovely and warm... it was great although such a faff getting the little ones ready, into the water and out again ESPECIALLY in these conditions of multi layers!!!!

Anyway we got out the pool just in time to watch the second run - perfect morning.... just a pity that Dave had a bad day!

Hats of to the course organisers etc for getting the racing going this weekend - a LOT of snow has fallen and it was a 5am start for the course workers on both mornings to get the snow off the race line so well done everyone!

With a colleague (Kim) in the finish area cheering Dave on!

Lunch was a casual affair and this afternoon was a mix of family movies on TV, a family meal and watch this snow fall out the window!

talking of snow - WOW it has kept on coming all day long... by early this evening we had had 66cm of it down in town and more up high and it is forecast to keep going all night... the intensity is incredible! The road to fornet has been shut off. The road to Tignes Le Lac from Les Boisses is shut off... I can hear some blasting this evening high up the slopes. No foot traffic is allowed anywhere outside of the town centre or with La Daille etc and the school buses from the far end of town (Fornet) are cancelled tomorrow morning... hoping Olivias bus is not affected but we shall see as the snow is gonna keep on coming tonight and tomorrow! Getting down the road to Bourg has taken well over 3 hours simply as people are not putting on chains when they really should do! A couple of accidents and hey presto the road is stuffed! So to say we are getting good early season snow........

Lets see what tomorrow brings!

In other news the new details of the 10 seater La Daille gondola to go in next Summer have been released - essentially it will be very similar to the new Solaise gondola... heated seats and wifi etc!

NE1 - the start gate.... if you take the Bellevarde Express chair up and cut across to the Loyes Express.... when you 'cross' the Face piste then just up the slope is where the start is normally located but they lowered the start yesterday with the winds to just below where they cross.... the slalom is lower down still tucker just off to the side.... Matt Chilton is the normal commentator - a good skier and a racer himself back in the day! There are some relative 'flats' but not flat as such! HA HA

Think that is all for now.... to see more up close footage on the World Cup then check out my Periscope from today!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRKjLyzjBBJw

TTFN

P.S. Meant to say check out the temp graphs my weather station has shown this week... it got gradually warmer until this storm moved in and now the temps have been up and down like crazy

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, Steve. Yes they were the 'flat' bits we thought they were, hehe. Thanks for the info about the start gate, much easier to picture now. Kudos to Matt Chilton
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HMMMMMMM - bit of a bummer but then again ever cloud has a silver lining

I most definitely was not expecting positive temperature (certainly not to the level they were) this morning... it was about plus 5 in resort at breakfast time and apart from the snow clearers working their thing it could have been a week or more ago the weather of yesterday!

The weather cleared up late last night and punchy southerly wind and overcast skies took over. So the snow was already very wet by breakfast time. Whilst it was always going to be a slow start to the day for those on the mountain in reality the pisteurs did a sterling job getting most of the resort open for people to have a play around by mid morning. As is usually the case it was slow starts that built itself up by the minute as more and more opened up..... over in Tignes however I think they played it extra cautious and I believe that most things over there did not open at all!! Certainly the link over was not open all day. Some runs that had overhanging slopes above like the Orange were not to open all day here either!

The winds got up to well over a 100kmh up top last night and after calming down a lot today they have this evening gotten up again but now have swung around once again to the north!

Anyway after getting Olivia off on the school bus my whole day seemed to evaporate as I did loads and loads of little jobs that needed doing and still did not get everything done. Tomorrow will be the last day I am NOT on the mountain for a whole week as I am suddenly fully booked day in day out now until we head back to the UK next week for a few days pre Xmas... so if I dont get it done tomorrow then its not likely to get done anytime soon!

The podcast that I was the guest on over the weekend was finally uploaded today... it can be found via the following three link options - I rather like it and we covered plenty on there and talked a fair whack about Val and many other things. They have asked me to guest again sometime in the future - should be good!

https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/episode-6-olympic-bans-minor-royalty-and-val-disere-car-parks
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/knowledge-is-powder-podcast-a-ski-podcast/id1293102565?mt=2
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/woodstock-windows/knowledge-is-powder-podcast-a-ski-podcast

Anyway there was a little snow around from time to time today and the snow clearers really have been earning their money (thanks to Radio Val for this photo):

But there were a lot of idiots ignoring the road warnings last night too so the road was gridlock for hour after hours.... partly due to idiots like:

.... this is what happens when you should have put chains on when you were told to!!!!

The new La Daille gondola as I mentioned the other day has almost reached the planning conclusion now and Poma lifts (a local (well used to be) company) have won the rights to manufacture 5 lifts in the Espace Killy over the next few years. Anyway the design for the new gondola that will do into circulation new December will look like the following.... pretty funky!

If you are in town and want to check out the mock up then one of them is sitting outside the conference centre currently!

The town are reporting that they reckon up to 10000 extra persons came to Val this weekend (in some way or another) to watch the World Cup races... IF it is that high (and I would be surprised) then that is some coup - I doubt many more than a couple of thousand were watching at the bottom of the Face!!!

So they are once again reporting that they will be doing avalanche clearance work from 7am tomorrow and I suspect that the av risk will continue at 4/5 tomorrow as it was today!

I am sure there was something else that I was going to say today but I can't quite remember - instead remember to check out my periscope from today and please keep following / sharing and all the rest of it.....

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mrGmZmzpZWJy
My periscope from today - not quite as lively as yesterdays!!!!

TTFN
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
P.S. Meant to post this photo YSE posted today.... I was looking out the window today and from a good 500 yards away I could see a huge area of yellow next to a YSE chalet down here in La Daille and I assumed they must have been taking a photo for their records / advertising purposes .... how right I was...... but urm where are the boys?????

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I notice that gondola has ski/board racks on the outside. Is it not big enough to take your equipment inside, or is it just an extra option?
snow report
Quote:

I was looking out the window today and from a good 500 yards away I could see a huge area of yellow next to a YSE chalet down here in La Daille and I assumed they must have been taking a photo for their records / advertising purposes .... how right I was...... but urm where are the boys?????

There's nothing like a bit of diversity when recruiting staff...and based on that photo, that's certainly nothing like it wink
snow conditions
Quote:

but urm where are the boys?????

who cares.. now what chalet was this Blush
snow report
thelem - it is big enough but the trend nowadays is to give people the option of taking kit inside or putting it in the racks on the outside - their choice... like the new Solaise gondola!!!!

intermediate & Mr.Egg ha ha!
latest report
Just had to post this photo from Radio Val this morning - it is going to be a good day eh!!!

snow report
@Steve Angus, You managed to photograph me at the slalom! In the photo with the red and blue smoke, I'm on the left in bluey grey, filming with my hand in the air. Very Happy

thelem wrote:
I notice that gondola has ski/board racks on the outside. Is it not big enough to take your equipment inside, or is it just an extra option?

The snowboard slots have been taken off the Solaise gondolas and you now have to take boards inside. The new lift will be fantastic for La Daille. Jan must be rubbing his hands!!

I was in the traffic going down on Sunday afternoon. It was horrendous. At St Foy, we were following a Bordeaux registered BMW X5. He had summer tyres and no chains. We told him to pull off the road as he was sliding everywhere, but he refused. After the first hairpin below St Foy, he slide down the road, all four wheels locked up, bouncing between the Armco and the coaches that were stuck on the other side of the road. It was lucky no one was hurt but he must have done a few €XXXX of damage to his car and that of others. Idiot. On the whole, it was the French visitors who behaved appallingly (like stopping to put chains on their car or coach and completely blocking everything coming up behind them Shocked) and the tourists and transfer drivers who were in well equipped vehicles, driving sensibly. Throw in a few avalanches blocking the road and it was carnage.

I hope I never see it that bad again.
ski holidays
The updates and photos have proved too tempting. Just booked to arrive on Thursday for 6 days:)
Preparations for Christmas can just wait.

@bar shaker, The journey down sounded scary. I'm off to watch some videos about putting on snow chains as we've not had to do it for a while. Must also make sure we get the correct chains with the hire car.
latest report
@muppet, We didn't need to put ours on, but I did check we had them and they were the correct size.

On Sunday evening, you could only go up or down in a Police escorted pelleton, with up to 14 other cars. If you didn't put chains on, you weren't allowed to use the road up or down. It's a shame they didn't start this at lunchtime.

We started to help push a car out of La Daille supermarket car park at 2pm. After 30 seconds it was apparent that he had so little grip (and no chains) that if he did get onto the road he was another accident waiting to happen. We left him to it, much to his ire.
snow conditions
@muppet, Nice one!! You will have a great time.

We didn't need to put our chains on, but I did check we had them and they were the correct size in case we were asked to by Le Plod.

On Sunday evening, you could only go up or down in a Police escorted pelleton, with up to 14 other cars. If you didn't put chains on, you weren't allowed to join the pelletons. It's a shame they didn't start this at lunchtime.

We started to help push a car out of La Daille supermarket car park at 2pm. After 30 seconds it was apparent that he had so little grip (and no chains) that if he did get onto the road he was another accident waiting to happen. We left him to it, much to his ire, but he was gone an hour later.

Sunday was a 'ten year storm' and the roads are normally in excellent condition despite normal snowfall, but definitely take the correct chains just in case.
latest report
Well that was an eventful couple of hours

So it was a lovely start to the morning as Olivia climbed into bed and she spent about 15 mins giving me huge hugs and kisses which was a lovely way to start the day!

After getting her off on the school bus I made inroads into my todo list....

bar shaker - yes the road situation occasionally does get like that - never pleasant for anyone concerned.... but hey how FUNNY is that that I managed to get you in the photo I took above!!!

muppet - temptation... its not that its destiny - the powder has your name all over it!

Anyway on a slightly different topic I received through a report that a working group out here in the Alps have been putting together on the potential impact Brexit might have on the seasonal workers style business such as the ski industry out here! IM NOT GETTING POLITICAL HERE but I thought I would share it with everyone for your perusal!

http://sbit.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/SBIT-Brexit-Impact-assessment-Dec-2017-Hi-Res.pdf

The weather was pretty nice this morning - well actually it was lovely - wall to wall sunshine. After the 15cm or so of snow top up last night it was a powder morning and with the lower temps the snow was always going to be better. However the av risk is still high out there (4/5) so the safe bet was to stay on lower slope angles.... however having said that there was news filtering through of people being buried yesterday and also today AT LEAST 2 skier activated slides were observed by persons on the mountain I know... be careful out there for a few days folks! At least there was not 'serious' news so far - long may that continue!

The clouds rolled in little by little in the afternoon and then by late afternoon it was a blizzard once again!

This is when I had a funky couple of hours... firstly I started my daily periscope broadcast and as seems to happen about once a year I got a message pop up when I was filming informing me that Periscope HQ were going to feature the broadcast which suddenly means it appears on their home page and the numbers of viewers goes through the roof.... although not everyone watches the whole thing of course I can tell you that all in all I have had nearly 22000 people watch todays broadcast so far... questions flying in from all sides, retweets etc - it goes bonkers. Anyway the content of the broadcast I try to get fresh and relevant and the same sort of stuff but hopefully you will enjoy it anyway!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1kvJpkjaEgoGE

After that I collected Olivia off the school bus and then the first of two bonkers / bad things happened.... Olivia and I went to get on the elevator up to the eighth floor we live in in La Daille and the doors would not close... then the floor selector button did not respond... anyway we got out then someone else walked in so I decided to get back in and try it out.... they were able to select their floor (1st and 2nd respectfully) and the doors closed and up we went... they got out no problems and the lift carried on upwards towards our floor... however it got nearly to what I think was the 7th floor and stopped dead!!!! The internal lift doors would open but not the actual door to the landing... the floor indicator lights went off but not the ceiling lights thanks goodness..... we were stuck in the lift!!!!! THANK GOODNESS for mobile phones. I called Clare and she basically had to go to reception (carrying Ben down 8 floors as she did not want to risk the other lift playing up too and her getting stuck) and tell them.... they got the maintenance man I am guessing on the case and he went to the control room and must have reset the computer or something... anyway within about 15 mins we were out the lift and home again.... I will not lie when I say it was a little scary and Olivia did get a little upset but we got there thank goodness!

The latest TDC weekly snow report got published today too:

https://www.facebook.com/tdcski/videos/10155918834518607/

A little later on I got the second piece of bad news of the day (bad thing).... one of my best friends ex girlfriends whom I was quite friendly with announced that had been diagnosed with breast cancer - I think they have caught it early but I'm thinking of you Gem!

So the weather is supposed to clear up later tonight and tomorrow will start sunny before YET ANOTHER front moves in promising loads of snow again!

Tomorrow I am back teaching (with Xmas day falling as it is this year the changeover days for tour ops (which has an effect on when lessons start etc) things lesson wise are all over the place) and will be working non stop now right up to early next week!

I think the final thing to state and I dont try to do blatant plugs ever but I thought I would take the chance to do so tonight....

Our little chalet business.... a self catering apartment in the centre of Val d'Isere... is available for weekly rental once again this year. Taking up to 5 persons it is 2 bedrooms so perfect either for a family or a couple. Many weeks of the season still available. Please spread the word and get in touch!!! Good prices for SH's! All mod-cons like UK sat tv and wifi etc all included!

TTFN
ski holidays
Smashing conditions

It was a perfect day in terms of weather and snow combo but with no one around.... Clare took a ski around this morning whilst I took Daddy day care duties - well it will be the last chance she gets for quite a while and why not eh!

So yes she had a nice couple of Funi laps and then had to come back home to feed Ben!

It has been interesting watching out the window the last few days as they have been setting up the Womens World Cup course down to La Daille.... although we can see most of the course from our sitting room we mainly can see the finish area and little by little it has all been taking shape!

Anyway after a morning of getting on top of yet more admin (it never stops)... this morning trying to order a new baby monitor as ours has packed up and spending ages trying to get bank clearance on one of these anti fraud check ups.... I headed out around about lunchtime.

I had a few errands to run in town before meeting up with my seasonnaires I was taking out this afternoon. Like most schools we take out seasonnaires on a few promo lessons so they can hopefully recommend our services to their clients and guests as well as being a nice thing to do... today I was down to do intermediate snowboarders and we had blast of an afternoon.

The piste conditions were perfect.... especially for snowboarding.... a good blend between grip and 'pisting'.... bravo. A really fun afternoon was had by all (I think). We had some piste technique then moved onto some good fun flat land freestyle - 360's, nose rolls and all sorts of others!

Check out the perfect powder off the side, great piste conditions and hardly anyone around!

However despite all this with the weather conditions changing so dramatically recently and with lots more snow forecast the avalanche 'picture' out there is getting more complicated.... just check out this graph from my weather station showing how much the temps have changed (some 22C change) over the last few days.... up and down, up and down!!!!

After the lesson I attempted to do my Periscope.... after yesterday and it hitting the homepage of Periscope and ending up getting some over 21000 views.... today was a failure by comparison.... I had been using my phone just before broadcasting and it obviously got cold.... woops the battery died half way through!! SORRY!

Anyway here is the attempt from today!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1kvKpkjvEywxE

Sorry not the most interesting update today but I need to get an early night as I have a sore throat and I think I might be coming down with something which is perfect timing as I now have 5 full days teaching in a row then the chaos of driving back to the UK for a few days before xmas - eek!

TTFN

P.S. Forgot to say - and I need to look into it more closely BUT I noted that the main piste openings maker board at the top of the Olympique lift obviously has the various piste colour marked up and as to whether they are open or not.... however I noted that Santons was red in colour - have they officially changed the grading of the run... must check that out!
latest report
Where did you take the pic on the top (in your last post) from Steve?
snow report
Hey Steve - word is that Santons is now officially a Red Run. About time I say!
latest report
Yes I noticed Santons shown as a red on piste map. Shut all last week but it looked the same from Solaise. Perhaps they've embedded a few steel spikes, to stick out from the rock walls half way down, just to make it interesting Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

went to get on the elevator up to the eighth floor we live in in La Daille and the doors would not close... then the floor selector button did not respond... anyway we got out then someone else walked in so I decided to get back in and try it out.... they were able to select their floor (1st and 2nd respectfully) and the doors closed and up we went... they got out no problems and the lift carried on upwards towards our floor... however it got nearly to what I think was the 7th floor and stopped dead!!!! The internal lift doors would open but not the actual door to the landing... the floor indicator lights went off but not the ceiling lights thanks goodness..... we were stuck in the lift!!!!!

Le fantome de Vallee Perdue est furieux peut-etre? Skullie
snow conditions
@franga,
Quote:

Where did you take the pic on the top (in your last post) from Steve?

My guess is on Collet from the top of the Bellevarde...but I'm usually miles away!
ski holidays
Steve, from my point of view I think ur periscope will be
Quote:

the most interesting update today

- its a long way better than any webcam / work email / bbc news
latest report
@franga, Pretty sure that picture was taken from the entrance to the Grand Pre lift looking back up to the plateau where you exit the Olympic gondola.
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
@franga, Pretty sure that picture was taken from the entrance to the Grand Pre lift looking back up to the plateau where you exit the Olympic gondola.

Definitely is. You can see the Bellevarde restaurant and the Olympic cable car station. The powder is un-touched as it's a bit flat there... below (to the right of) the piste.
snow report
Ah yes! Run must be the blue Collet then. And the chair in the distance the Fontaine Froide!

Thanks
snow report
@Steve Angus, can you share any info about your external thermometer?? After something for the UK Smile
ski holidays
Well you've tempted me - week booked with UCPA for this Saturday. snowHead
latest report
Franga.... yes as intermediate and GeorgeVII have said it is the entrance to Grand Pre looking back up the Collet piste to Olympic area... not sure you can see Bellevarde Restaurant though from here bar shaker and yes it is the Fontaine Froide.

vasta - yes it looks like they have now officially made it a red run - wow about *&^*%(^ time!

intermediate - not sure I like steel spikes to make it more interesting.... perhaps a few IED's or something instead!!!! But yea a ghost in the system as far as the lift is concerned!

Wildsmith - THANK YOU!!! I try!

kitenski - check out homewizard.co.uk (or is is .com) - I have that system at home with their weather station... works a treat... have alerts et al set up.... its good!

kat.ryb - good you'll love it.... I SHOULD BE ON COMMISION FROM THE RESORT SHOULDNT I

Todays update shortly!
latest report
Gosh that was a tough gig...

One of those days when the weather was not your friend and the teaching as a result hard work... not helped by a cold! Being the first day when I was teaching all day and Olivia had to get to school it was all action stations this morning... however I seemed to have been awake most of the night - at least in a light sleep - it must have been something to do with my cold.... also Olivia decided to come and wake us up about 5am too.... argh not a great start to the day!

Anyway I still managed to get everything done and get her on the bus and make the meeting point for before 9am!!!! yay! I dont think I necessarily need to catch the 8.30 bus each day as it got me there very early but anyway!

So at the meeting point we worked out the groups and went on our way.... very little was running due to the high winds but the Olympic was on go slow and for good reason it was fierce up top!!!

Check out this video my colleague captured this am:

https://www.facebook.com/tdcski/videos/10155925627393607/

Anyway the lesson was a tricky one with a) the weather and b) not much open... especially when you haven't skied with the group before (I have skied with some of the group before but not for a year and not all of them together!). Anyway we worked hard and made some changes... initially we headed to La Daille and then took the Funi up but the weather looked like it was getting better so we decided to do a lap or 3 on one of the only options up top.... the Bonnevie drag! It was mainly a chopped up powder frenzy but hey thats what we had therefore thats what we learnt to improve..... a fun morning.

Powder anyone?

Lunch was taken in town and I had to make the phone call back to the UK to arrange for delivery of a VERY late Head skis and boots order that I should be skiing on now... anyway I should be able to collect the gear next week when I'm back in the UK.... so on that front there will be NO DAILY UPDATES HERE OR ON PERISCOPE FROM MONDAY 18th - MONDAY 25th DECEMBER INCLUSIVE

So that along with collecting some packs and some poor time keeping from my am lesson meant 'lunch' was hardly eaten before it was back out for the pm session... the weather had gotten worse and the afternoon session was all about trying to improve a team of 3 girl friends off piste confidence... they all skied off piste but it was more about trying to bring them back from injury etc to get them feeling happy again! It was a tricky afternoon trying to get the blend of terrain, task and weather right to bring confidence levels up - not an easy task in that weather... but hey we have another couple of sessions to go.

The 20cm's of fresh snow we had overnight certainly got moved around so the av risk once again today was high and will remain that way. The snow that has been falling all day long and should continue all night will mean we have had about 2m of snow fall at altitude in the last week... but of course it has been packed down / moved around somewhat so caution is urged. By tomorrow it will be another canvas to consider!

However more weather fronts interspersed with breaks are forecast over the next week so watch this space!

In local news the training run for the World Cup womens Downhill had to be cancelled today due to the fresh snow... the current plan has also meant (and could once again be changed due to the weather) the Super G will now be the Saturday and downhill the Sunday - that means the Super G can also count at the training run for the DH - all technicalities!

However on the World Cup front the wind last night damaged the large screen TV down here in La Daille where the finish area is....

The british infantry (well some divisions anyway) army are also here in town for 5 weeks now learning how to ski and ultimately race... so there are millions of burly men and women who are flying around out of control all over the place at the moment - eek!

The official opening of the new parking between town and La Daille also happened today... a high ceiling and wider parking space is very welcome too! 190 spaces can be booked via www.parkingvaldisere.com now!

With such a heavy day and not feeling on top of the world I fitted in my periscope this evening before I have an early night - back on the hill all day again tomorrow

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdGYMMLebMGX

TTFN
ski holidays
Wow quite something

Another 20/30/40/50cm of snow fell overnight with little wind (well in town anyway).... I dont think anyone really knows how much fell... up high there were some HUGE accumulations.... there is a wind lip down near the top of the Creux piste that makes a snow cannon mound of articial snow looks like a mole hill! Apparently there was over 110km/h winds up high last night.

However I can safely report that all in all the snow was light, deep and perfect up there and in a huge abundance!

The avalanche risk however was a just 4/5 today and with a couple of nasty buried layers it will stay that way tomorrow and possibly into Sunday! Nevertheless there were some crazy lines being skied by people and I know of at least one skier tried slide out there - perhaps more.... near the top of the Fontaine Froide lift it was the concept of 'skier' creep where people push further and further out away from established piste / lines already in in search of fresh snow and set a 1m deep slide off - I think they got away with it though!

I met my morning group and there was some swapping around to be done as well as a couple of new people to add into the mix but once we had sorted the groups out we were off. It was BITTERLY cold up there - for example -20 at the top of Tommeuse and this was partly due to the cold air temps but also lack of much sun (although it did pop its nose through a few times) and some wind...

As most of the pistes had been pisted early and with the snow that continued to fall trying to get pistes that look like pistes is tough and amongst others the Fontaine Froide run was DEEP powder top to bottom.... my group did struggle especially on the first descent but it got better... of course on days like this as the snow gets more and more chopped up it becomes more and more mogul like as opposed to powder like so my lesson was split really between teaching to deal with powder and moguls.

It was a tricky morning but we made some progress.

Lunch was once again a rather rushed affair and I caught up with some emails before hitting the slopes once again! There was more sun (at least initially) this afternoon and things came really nice! I had my team as of yesterday afternoon and we continued to work on off piste development and they all seemed to nail it much more - bravo.

On the World Cup front they were unable to run the second day of DH training so that means without the training runs they are not going to be able to run the race at all.... they can't keep postponing the training indefinitely... anyway it now means that they are going to attempt to run 2 x Super G races - 1 tomorrow and 1 Sunday.... Super G is not far off Downhill in terms of speed etc anyway so it is quite close.... the start is lower down near the Folie though instead! Lets see whether it happens or not tomorrow - if there is more fresh snow tomorrow then that could be problematic again!

Weather wise there could be a little more snow tomorrow but I dont think huge amounts are forecast!!

The only other thing that is happening is that the new car park was inaugurated today.... bring the total number of parking spaces (official public ones) in town up to something like 2200...

After skiing I had an old friend of mine pop around for a cuppa and a catch up which was nice and now after doing the chores I am here... really looking forward to another early night as my cold is not really much better and I am exhausted!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1zqKVMMWMzPxB

Anyway I think that is all... same lesson line up tomorrow but hopefully I will have a little more energy.

TTFN
latest report
More 'weather'

Sometimes you just want things to change and make life a little easier but once again today we had a mix of wind, clouds, snow and a tease of sun (well sort of). Anyway there was another few cm's of snow in town and the expectation would be of more up top!

Anyway being a weekend there was no small kids to get ready for school or anything therefore I got another 15 mins in bed and every second counts during the Winter! Yay!

Things could have been worse for me if I was on World Cup duty as they were told to rendezvous at...... wait for it......4am at the funi..... in order to get up and start slipping / working on the course - fresh snow at those speeds and soft snow is no good for the racers so it needs to be taken down to the injected surface underneath.... clearing about 5cm of snow is OK but more than that is a nightmare! Anyway they got there and the race took place!

Meanwhile I headed up for my morning lesson and the plan was to work on carving... having a couple of people in the group whom have never been to the Espace Killy and the fact that the weather has not played ball this week I thought we would jump on the opportunity to get over to Tignes whilst the wind had eased off... so that is what we did and I really have to say Tignes was TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY dead... I think that everyone was headed over to Val to watch the racing or something!

Anyway it was a good morning and some great skiing was had by all!

We watched some of the racing and congrats to Lindsey Vonn on another win.

On off piste fronts the rating was 3/5 down low and 4/5 up higher and I think with the very weak layer that is under the snow there will be some nasty surprises out there so steep slopes should really be treated with caution!

The weather forecast for the next few days is of more snow / wind / clouds - a bit of everything again and then finally looks like we might have a high pressure system starting to build by midweek and temps raising a little!

The afternoon I was back with my ladies for some off piste action and the request was to go up the Solaise side as we / they hadnt been up there this week... the problem was that the clouds were at totally the wrong altitude so it was going to be a pain trying to get something to see to ski and off piste at that. Anyway we juggled the altitude with slope angle etc to find some things - e.g. the Livre Blanc glades as I call them and the pitches between the Mangard piste.... however something strange happened.... one of the clients fell - normally in deep snow when this happens a ski is 'lost' (hopefully only temporarily) but on this occasion it was her pole that we could not find - after much hunting we did locate it but weird eh!

I fitted in my periscope from the rond pont de piste late on:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yNGaVVQRYEJj

..and then came home to do the parent bit.... Olivia and Ben had visited Papa Noel this afternoon so much excitement was in the air!

Im ready for bed once again so looking forward to hitting the sack shortly.

Tomorrow there is another Super G so that will be good to see.

TTFN
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy