Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
[url]|https://thumbsnap.com/iX38WDM7[/url]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better weather than forecast

It was nice to have a relative lie in this morning and better still that Olivia did not rise until 8am... anyway I headed to the meeting point at 9am only to get a call from the client saying that after a particularly heavy one yesterday they were running a long way behind schedule - queue an extra 30min chill time!

Anyway after another freeze overnight we decided to play it safe and start at the bottom again before heading back up to the magic carpet when it softened a little.

It turned into a pretty successful morning all in all.

The ski test area on the snow front as the snow line recedes day by day.... but another couple of weeks left in the snow I am sure.

Lunchtime was a pretty eventful hour or so as Clares family were all leaving then so I headed up to see them off and it was a frantic set of hugs and au revoirs as bags were thrown in the bus etc but they got off OK!

The afternoon was spent with a nice couple from London who would normally ski with Clare but having her family here this week and them leave today Clare moved the booking over to me. Anyway they wanted to work on slush and moguls so that is exactly what we found in abundance! Doing a few laps of Tommeuse there was some fun and games to be had before the main event; a trip down the Face. This was again rather slushy as you can imagine but they conquered it admirably!

My periscope was done after skiing and the weather was moving in. It had threatened to move in all day little by little but it finally dropped a few flakes but nothing at all substantial. There was a persistent breeze around town all day but I am not sure whether it will all come to much!

https://www.pscp.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1mnxeVgZpPaKX?autoplay&t=4

bar_shaker - hmm I know that viewing having worked in an apartment in the building there in the Summer..... anyway lets hope the rock and snowfall barrier at the bottom does its thing when that rock decides it has had enough of watching from above!

This evening has been rather relaxed and I played with Olivia for a while which was super and now it is time for another series of Britain Got Talent!

Tomorrow is another day on the hill; Clare is heading down the hill for an Easter Sunday kids egg hunt and party and I am working in the am and doing some jobs in the afternoon!

TTFN
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Happy Easter

I dont know if Olivia knew it or whether it was just a fluke but there were some tiny steps that arrived at our bedside far too early this morning and she had her Easter egg and present in hand.... she was far too excited and the day ended up starting far too early despite Clares best attempts to put her back in her bedroom for an hour. Anyway yes it was Easter Sunday!

So despite the early start, with Clare not teaching today it was a rather relaxing start to the day. I got geared up for my lesson and although it was a grey day it was time to make the most of it. With a minimal freeze and thick clouds lurking around it was going to be tough to get good visibility and the best snow available. However what I was not anticipating was that there was a good few cm's of snow to play with (perhaps 3cm in places) which was just about enough to give a nice cushion!

Anyway it turned out to be good morning working with young Guy who is going for his BASI L1 this coming week along with his Dad and friend so it was a sort of double combo lesson in one. We worked on piste performance (short and long turns) and it turned out to be a very enjoyable morning.

When I got home Clare had already left to go down the valley to a friends Easter egg hunt / party so it meant I had a VERY rare few hours to myself. I had a chilled lunch then went to see a friend in La Daille (did my Periscope):

https://www.pscp.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1yNxaPLvvabJj?autoplay&t=26

.... and generally had a few hours to myself which was lovely!

After making some phone calls it has been a rather relaxing evening.

In local news things should be a lot quieter on the slopes this week although there are some school holidays (UK and France) still happening AND also the other piece of news is that the Cugnai lift has broken down and the engine needs replacing which means it will be out of action for the rest of the season but I dont think that should affect people too much!

Monday morning tomorrow but it is business as usual and (unless things change) I have my last full days teaching of the season tomorrow (just half days for the remainder of the week after that!).

TTFN
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Lovely and sunny but a little chilly

It is easy to get complacent at this time of the year and assume it will be scorcio just because of the sun is shining. So today was one of those days...

It started with tiny feet creeping into our bedroom early doors once again but being Easter Monday the creche was closed so Clare had Olivia for the day and there was no need to get up particularly early so we all turned over for an extra 30 mins sleep - yay!

I made my way to the meeting point and I was back with the whole of the family that I have been skiing with last week and this and despite a couple of lift pass issues we were off. It is certainly quieter out there this week than last so there are no lift queues which is welcome to see! With some fresh snow (about 5cm for the most part) up there and with colder temperatures the snow conditions felt MUCH more like Winter again! There was also a stiff breeze blowing once again so despite the sunny skies it was colder than it has been!

Anyway we had a fund morning and I taught the kids (and parents) a few little tricks and we even found some nice powder to play around in.

I headed back into town for lunch and then met my afternoon lesson which was the same lady as I taught last week. She felt as if she had regressed a little since last week so it was my job to freshen things up and we recapped on a few things from last week and she did so well.... the only blip was she had a brain freeze on the top part of the L by the top of the Datcha but that is the way it goes sometime. I must say that the snow on the glacier run was AMAZING all afternoon!

Anyway I think by the end of the afternoon she was pretty happy and more confident again!

https://www.pscp.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1yNxaPborkbJj?autoplay&t=20

I headed home and have had a pretty relaxed evening. Tomorrow I am just working in the morning and then have some chores to do in the afternoon and then heading out for dinner with a client after that... and then Wednesday evening is our end of season ski school 'curry night' which is always fun!

Tomorrow should be a little chilly and perhaps cloudy and I am teaching some family friends of the family I am with. Meanwhile in town the Adventure Film Festival starts which is fun (but dont think I am going to get a chance to go and see any of it - oh well!)

TTFN
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winter has returned I think

It was definately colder this morning and there was some clouds floating around. I headed out to the meeting point to meet the friends of the older daughter from the family ive been teaching last week and this.... their first time ever on skis. They were on time and eager to get going. With no real freeze down in town overnight the snow down low softened up quickly and it felt quite warm as the clouds were not too thick. However at altitude there had been a fairly solid freeze and it was not going to soften up anytime soon as the clouds were thickening and there was a stiff northerly breeze once again. However it took an hour and a half before we got up the mountain and by the end of the 3 hours the girls were doing so well and in fact they even got some turning in down the steep and longer magic carpet.... A very successful first lesson - bravo. It was chilly up there though!

I had the afternoon off and did lots of chores at home and around town so it was a very successful afternoon.

The clouds thickened more and more and it was jolly chilly but then about 4pm it started to clear up and is has now left a chilly night and it could be as chilly as -10 by the morning in town and up high colder - wow!

I have just been out for dinner with a fellow sh, his friend and his son (who is doing is BASI 1 this week here in Val) and have had a very enjoyable time indeed - a jolly good laugh. I always forget how yummy the pizza's are at Chez Nano - recommended!

So this Friday will be the last update for this season (although the season still goes until the 1st May) and that will also be the last periscope too!

Talking of Periscope!

https://www.pscp.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1mnxeVNEgVLKX?autoplay&t=1

So another short but sweet end of season update for today.

TTFN
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Steve, great to chat tonight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

The snowline is retreating

After a VERY cold night last night it is hard to imagine how how the snow has receded so much (as is normal) in these Spring weeks. As can be seen in the photo above! It was -10 on the thermo on our balcony at breakfast time this am and obviously colder up top - seriously folks its mid April!

Anyway it was never going to warm up that much but the sun tried for a few hours this morning but there were a lot of people caught out by the cold and I was back up to 5/6 layers for 'mid season' temps (I sometimes am on 12 layers in the depths of Winter so today was not that cold!).

So I met the girls (who it was apparent had skied way too much yesterday afternoon and were knackered) and we headed straight up the mountain and onto the long magic carpet. To say it was firm was an understatement. I had one hope for the snow up there this morning and that was that the south facing long magic carpet might take some early heat and soften up.... well it did.... a TINY bit! Anyway we had a few good runs refreshing some of the things we worked on yesterday and then it was time for a warm up / drinks break at the Ouilllette and then we took a run on the Madelaine which was fairly firm still. Anyway the girls did very well so it was a good morning!

I headed down and did my periscope:

https://www.pscp.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1DXGyrWvQjkJM?autoplay&t=1

I headed home for lunch and Clare was over in Tignes having lunch with some friends so I got the house to myself for a couple of hours and dipped my toes in the water as I started my annual torture of doing my year end accounts / tax return for the French authorities - yikes I hate it but when it is finished each year I know the season is over and it is party time!

So in other news several members of the French National Ski Race Team are training (the technical team) on the Orange this week so if you want to see some really good racers and how they train then head up there and admire from the Marmottes lift... SERIOUSLY good skiers!

Also today was the 'monoski world champs' which is a joke and unoffficial competition that the Mountain Echo Magazine put on each year. Imagine 1980's one piece flouro with beers and BBQ (OK a chilly day for it) and some fun head to head racing on monoskis and you get the picture.

Finally the resort has released its final / virtually final as not many people will be here next week, numbers of visitors for the season..... so nearly 1,380,000 skier days have been recorded this season which is some 80,000 more than last Winter.... pretty healthy numbers.... I wonder what next season will bring!

This evening we are off down the valley as it is the end of season TDC Ski School curry night.... normally it is our mid season party but that never happened this year so it is doubling up as our end of season party instead. So off down there in a moment.... should be fun.

Tomorrow should bring snow and more cold temps but it will start to warm up slightly in the afternoon and continue that trend back up towards normal temps by the end of the week.

TTFN
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just got back from Tignes, had a great long weekend.

I'm a nervous skier so mainly stuck to blues and greens, focusing on carving and improving turn rhythm/shape. Stayed mostly up high and was impressed with the snow quality. I think that I improved a lot this week, bar my confidence wobble on Saturday/Sunday where it was slushy and mogully and I had a lot of falls. Heading down Santons for lunch seemed like a good idea at the time...

Had great fun on the runs coming down from Grand Prè, Borsat and Marmottes. Lovely quiet pistes with a small layer of fresh snow with hardpack underneath.

Favourite day was Tuesday as there was limited visibility earlier on and many of the runs were deserted. Fresh snow too!

For the last run of the trip I thought I would take the red Crocus run off Piste Henri down to Le Lac. I enjoyed the red then the run seemed to get very narrow/steep/icy. Cue noticing that the piste markers had changed to black and I was on Trolles. Guess that's what I get for not checking the piste map and instead hoping for the best! Shocked

Made it down in one piece (only one fall!) but I think it was a little beyond my skill level at the moment so not something I'm in a hurry to repeat. The scariest part was my fall on the section where it narrows and sliding towards the cliff edge. Fortunately still had my skis on and was able to dig them in. Grateful to the kind gentleman who stopped to check that I was okay.

Just before that run I had seen somebody being rescued by helicopter from the bordercross area underneath Grand Pre. So lucky it wasn't me...

Al in all was a great trip. Happy to have managed five days on the slopes with only two days of annual leave. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nicer day

We had a really lovely evening last night and our colleague, it turns out, doesnt just live 'down the valley' in Seex (this side of Bourg) but back up the other side of the mountain towards the Col du Petit Saint Bernard.... anyway it was not only a heck of a drive but also heck of a view back towards Arc 1900 and the Aiguille Rouge! Anyway plenty of yummy curries were on offer with all the trimmings but we go the quantities of rice TOTALLY wrong.... I could you not there was enough rice to feed about 200 people. Alas a few beers and some good company it was a nice way to spend the evening.

On the way down we picked up a few colleagues in town and I noticed that it was cold enough that they were able to put the snow cannons on on the snow front - wow that it is first for me.... seeing them on in April!

So this morning we woke up to blue skies and cold temperatures again but with the sun it would likely warm up. Olivia made an early morning appearance again but was sent back to bed but anyway the day started early.... as it turned out I neednt have rushed (I had a few things that I needed to get done before work like put the car away) as I got the call that they were running late!

When we finally got going the girls did so very well and we did the whole of the green triangle (and a second on the Grand Pre) and they are starting to come parallel at the end of the turns so it is great to see!

The quality of the snow out there was amazing and it really felt like mid Winter snow - amazing. The temperatures hardly affected the snow quality but as temps rise tomorrow it could change back to Spring like snow again! Watch this space!

I popped home at lunchtime (taking my snowboard home from the office where it lives in the Winter as I dont think I will be needing it again this Winter) and had a myriad of jobs etc to get on with. Our cleaners arrived just as I got home so I was rather penned in for an hour but after that it was quiet as Clare headed to Rize Cafe with Olivia to have a drink with a friend and her son.

I cracked on with a few things including my Periscope:

https://www.pscp.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1dRKZAjVOMVxB?autoplay&t=26

Amongst a couple of minor pieces of local news the Adventure Film Festival is drawing to a close but that was not before there was a cool stunt performed in town yesterday evening to promote the films!

Also the French technical ski race team continue to train in town and also the road up to the Pont Saint Charles is now open so bit by bit things are opening up for the non Winter!

Tomorrow evening will be my last daily update for this Winter and also my last daily Periscope broadcast. Of course over the Summer months I will be doing a blog once a month updating on all the main things that have happened but I hope everyone has enjoyed another season of updates and info.... my target of getting to 1000000 page views is getting closer bit by bit.

Oh and calbris despite the odd incident I am glad you enjoyed your holiday.

TTFN
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ps meant to post this video which summarises the fun that was had at the 'Step Up' charity day the other day: https://www.facebook.com/1130303713650017/videos/1985326374814409/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stephap, how did you get on?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thats a wrap for another season

Well as I write the last of my daily updates for another season I cant quite believe that another Winter has slid by.... 11 years in Val. The Summer will be a busy one with lots on but hopefully some family time too! I will be writing a monthly update on here to give you all the latest info on what has been happening in Val so fear not you will get your fix. However I will not be doing a Periscope (not that I am planning anyway) broadcast.

So anyway back to today and it was back to business as normal as the sun was shining and the temps were much warmer than they had been the last few mornings... still below zero but not too far below. The lack of much power in the sun yesterday afternoon meant that the snow had not firmed up too much overnight which was welcome. Anyway I headed to the meeting point and once again they were running later but we got going pretty quickly. They have decided not to open the Bellevarde Express in the morning this morning but I dont know whether they will open it next week or not.

However we got going and the girls were pretty fresh this morning so I decided to ramp things up a little. A walk down the steps at the top of the Olympique then a ski down Verte and we were off. We fitted in a couple of laps on the Borsat lift / run and the snow could not have been better it truly was mid Winter like.... stunning. So a couple of laps on there and then a trip from the top of the Marmottes lift down the steep top section and once again down the Verte followed by a cheeky run through the fun run it was then time for hot chocolate break. I noticed at this point that the Borsat lift had developed a technical problem and had been shut down - it was not to open for the remainder of the day!

I overran a little after hot choc break and this was not helped by my poor decision to try crocodile valley... which I had not anticipated it being quite so firm down there - woops. It took a lot longer than planned and there was a couple of falls but hey they enjoyed the challenge!

So I had lunch with Clare at the top of the mountain as we were heading off for the SDPSC - more on that in a moment and fitted in my periscope:

https://www.pscp.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1OwxWAakvkQGQ?autoplay&t=9

So yes after lunch it was time for the TDC end of season annual fun competition with a random name that no-one really seems to know the origin off... the SDPSC (Super Duper Pooper Scooper Championships).... I know I have no idea where the name comes from as it has nothing to do with what the name might suggest. So my colleague Joe as the reigning champion had to organise the fun and games.... we had a couple of runs through the GS courses up in the stade and then a slalom run through stubbies up there and then that was followed by a chinese downhill from the top of the Grand Pre down to the bottom of the Fontaine Froide lift by whichever route one chose.... it was a rather run afternoon. I didnt win but I did win stack of the day as I went rather 'big' on the chinese downhill and hit a dropoff way to fast and double ejected.... I had to scramble to get one ski back on and hobbled across the finish line carrying my other ski.... I now have a sore coxic (sp?).... anyway it was a rather fun afternoon.

Not to much else is happening in town as we enter the final week of the season next week and the resort is getting very quiet now. I have my final lesson of the season tomorrow and then onto my French tax return arghhh. Clare and Olivias birthday next week along with my best mate coming out for a ski - it should be a fun 10 days or so!

Finally a quick welldone to endomans son on passing his BASI L1 today.... congrats!

And I think that is about all really.... another short and sweet update at this time of the year.

So take care and please keep tuning in once a month or so over the Summer and then I will be back for a daily writeup again from mid November onwards as we enter Winter 17/18!!!!

TTFN
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steve Angus, Many thanks for your reports this season. Have a great summer with lots of family time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the reports and help Steve, see you next year no doubt. Suspect it will be a little busier for you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Steve Angus, is it that time already? Thanks for another season of great reports and hope you all enjoy your summer.
snow report
I can't believe it's all over already. Thanks again for such a brilliant blog throughout the season Steve, it's my favourite read on Snowheads (closely followed by Chocksaway's great updates on Tignes!).

Glad your season went well, I hope all the Angus' have a fabulous and relaxing summer - and all the best for the new arrival. (Don't forget I said it's a boy Wink)

I will look forward to the monthly updates and start the countdown to 2017/18!!
snow report
Fatntasic spring skiing in Val today. Great snow, warm sunshine and empty slopes. Belvarde face at 9.15 - perfect snow and saw no one else the whole way down. Looks like winter returns Tuesday night.
snow conditions
Have a great summer@Steve Angus, see you next winter!
ski holidays
Thanks for all your great work @Steve Angus, and pass our thanks to Clare for her patience with Tilly and Charlotte, an exciting year for you ! See you next season Smile
latest report
Holiday month

Well what a month it has been. There was the usual end of season mix of parties, drinks with friends, completing my French tax return and of course birthdays (both Clare and Olivia). It always seems to be a mix of relaxation and hectic rushing around, looking back on the Winter just past but the change in pace of life / scenery for the Summer. So we left Val to head back to the UK early in May and have just returned back to the Val and having just unpacked we are now settling back in a Summer of mostly being based here in town. As previously mentioned I will be bringing you updates about once a month over the Summer. So here goes.

Firstly what exactly have I gotten up to in the last month. Well without going into lots of details it was a mix of a whirlwind tour around the UK seeing lots of friends and family as well as fitting in a holiday to Greece. We went with a well known UK family tour operator to Kos and had a wonderful time. Olivia got to do all sorts of wonderful activities from sailing to tennis and Clare and I ate and sunbathed to our hearts content. There were plenty of other families with little ones so it was all rather social really. It was a wonderful weeks holiday and I cant believe it was so long ago already! Bombing around the country seeing everyone is rather fun but tiring at the same time. I fitted in a trip to see an England cricket match in Southampton too as well as some drinks in London town with some friends.... all in all a really fun but tiring month. After such a long Winter season where it is work, work, work it has been really nice to spend some quality time with Olivia... I am not so sure that when she starts back at creche next week she will settle back in without a grumble about leaving mummy and daddy daily!

Meanwhile in Val it is a quiet month.

There have been the numerous Summer building projects that have started. Amongst other juicy ones are: the new parking in La Daille (near the concrete 'block' building', redevelopment of the the Ormelune Hotel and surrounds (Blue Note closed until September), and the Lavancher Hotel (there are plenty of other developments going on too).

The Winter has barely allowed its grip to weaken and we were still receiving snow IN TOWN into the first week in May and despite the odd nice sunny day (well into the 20's when the sun does comes out) it has been a fairly wet few weeks.

In the national French election Val d'Isere voted approx 73% for Emmanuel Macron which was to be expected.... they had wanted Fillon but obviously he was knocked out in the first round!

At lower altitudes the flowers have been sprouting....

Whereas at altitude the road up to the Col has been worked on pretty much non stop to clear the snow.... it is still ongoing

Val is rather quiet at this time of the year as everyone is taking breaks at the moment and pretty much the only people in town are families with kids at school. As a family we are off to Annecy for a few days for a family wedding this weekend and then life returns to Summer normality with a mix of trips back to the UK, building and personal projects here in Val and some family time.

Until next month!

TTFN
ski holidays
We are out in 5 weeks with our bikes, to ride up the local cols (Iseran, Cenis and PSB). It looks like we may need arm warmers!!
snow conditions
Hi Steve is there any news on the datcha lift being replace by the old solaise chair?
snow report
Hope that work around the L'Avancher doesn't spoil the area, found my secret best appt ever near there this year. Waiting on TO to see if they are doing a similar deal next year ( I doubt it!!!) Will still go back even if I do have to pay for a lift pass this time.
latest report
endoman wrote:
Hope that work around the L'Avancher doesn't spoil the area, found my secret best appt ever near there this year. Waiting on TO to see if they are doing a similar deal next year ( I doubt it!!!) Will still go back even if I do have to pay for a lift pass this time.

How did you not pay? Using someone else's season pass?
snow report
Nope. Came free with the accom via sunweb. So technically I did pay, but the price was cheaper than accom only with anyone else.
snow conditions
Timg60 - Yup as far as I am aware work is progressing well on this front. There are a couple of new pylons sitting in the car park down in La Daille ready to go in.

MONTHLY UPDATE

Well another month has passed and I am a little late in posting this months update as (as usual) have been rather busy.

I got back to Val as reported and spent a few days doing some chalet / apartment maintenance for a few contacts. I also popped back to the UK for a few days (fitted in a trip to watch England play in Southampton) and then the big thing was that we finally signed on our new flat that we have spent the last 8 months or so trying to purchase down in La Daille. That was a few weeks ago now. Ever since then I have personally been packing and moving down to the La Daille and moving home which has been a constant process. I had plenty of furniture to build etc too. Finally a couple of days ago I happily confirmed to myself that it was all done.

Clare has been busy with work at La Toviere hotel in La Daille (handy walk to work these days) and as the pregnancy developes (3 months to go now) she is getting restless but Olivia has been on top form and loving her time at creche on the summery days.

Talking of the weather it has been a poor June and early July so far. Sure we have had out fair share of stonking hot days but more than often it has been grey and raining.

The resort was quiet during June as it always is but has gotten busier and busier and now the school holidays are on it is busier than ever.

In June there is lots of preparation work for the Summer season - in this case getting all the planters ready to put out

The Lac Ouillette has been restocked and there are some big'uns to be caught up there

At this time of the year thousands of people make the slog up to the col but bike, motorbike or car and why not with amazing views like this!

The local school children have been gaining there bicycle proficiency award (some sort of test they have done anyway!)

There was a slight hiccup on the road up to the Col d'Iseran when there was a large rockfall that blocked the road but it only remained blocked for a few hours until they cleared enough to open one side of the road. The dangers of living in the mountains!

Inspiring the next generation - local hero boy from the skiing World Cup - Victor Muffat Jeandet comes to the local primary school to inspire the next generation!

The visitor numbers projections for this Summer - all over the place!

The resort have been working hard on their international relations too - sending a group to London to meet tour operators etc.

One of the many events over the Summer - last weekend the Vanoise high trail run.

The latest event which has just started today is the annual electric vehicle show... I went it was pretty cool - electric bikes of course but also things like electric skateboards etc!

There was a customer satisfaction survey carried out (again) last season (you may have been asked to complete a survey at the bottom of a lift sometime) and nearly 5000 completed the Val d'Isere survey. Of all the resorts the company do the survey in Val d'Isere was rated top with a client satisfaction level of 88%. However some of the negatives included that people thought that everyday 'spends' in resort were too expensive! It reckons (the survey) that 29% of visitors are loyal and regular returners to the resort (lets hope that figure grows!)

The town council are also going to vote on implementing new speed limits in the resort as follows: 30 km/h generally within the confines of Val d'Isère agglomeration, La Daille, and Fornet. Val's hypercentre zone (so the main high street) will be limited to 20 km/h and the speed in the car parks to 10 km/h. As usual heavy fines in place for not respecting these speed limits!

The resort also published visitor figures from the Winter in some more detail and it emerged that tourist numbers to the resort last season were up 3.8%.... amongst other figures it showed that Avoriaz was down nearly 7%!

So that brings you all up to date - ill be back next month with more info.

TTFN
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
the big thing was that we finally signed on our new flat that we have spent the last 8 months or so trying to purchase down in La Daille. That was a few weeks ago now. Ever since then I have personally been packing and moving down to the La Daille and moving home which has been a constant process. I had plenty of furniture to build etc too. Finally a couple of days ago I happily confirmed to myself that it was all done.

Welcome neighbour!!

We are in Vanoise B, which building are you in?

We are out next week and our friends are staying in La Toviere. We'll be inspecting Clare's work!
snow conditions
oops double post

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 14-07-17 8:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

I have missed this so much.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 14-07-17 17:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Shouldn't @Steve Angus, be on the best read authors list with over 700,000 viewings ?
latest report
@Steve Angus, Nice to meet you at Mount Hemel on Saturday.
ski holidays
Quote:

The resort have been working hard on their international relations too - sending a group to London to meet tour operators etc

Heh Steve,do you recognise anyone from ESF in that group? wink
snow report
There's been a big rock slide just over the Col de l'Iseran and the road from the Col to Bonneval is completely closed for at least today.
latest report
Pics here courtesy of Radio Val:

https://twitter.com/radiovaldisere?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.radiovaldisere.com%2Findex.php%3Fp%3Dhome

1000 cubic metres!
snow report
The guy in the orange jacket is a local geologist, he is pointing out the monkey face in the rock Laughing
latest report
Hey Steve- we have rented an apartment in La Daille from mid Jan for the season. We will be neighbours as well! Hope to see you before then as we are just finalising our December trip. Hope everything goes well for you and the family over the next few months.
ski holidays
@lynnecha, it's worth joining this FB page for local info.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/276598695877176/
snow conditions
bar shaker - hope you had a good trip out.... the weather has been mixed eh! We are in the P+V building so as you enter La Daille from Bourg direction it is on the left set back from the road. That pool.... was swimming in there just last week with my daughter - lovely and warm - seriously nice!

codyaitch - ha ha - thanks - am working on it... a million page views is the (unofficial) target at the moment but ill keep going either way!

chrisrawles - wonderful thanks - yes good to meet you too.... I just happen to typing this from Mount Hemel again now... have a few hours between lessons so thought I would catch up on some things like this!

chocksaway - officially 'no comment'

bar shaker - yes there has been several rock slides this Summer and the latest took a few days to clear but all open again now - although there is heavy snow (yesterday) up there which closed it again temporarily!

lynnecha - THANK YOU and fantastic news. I am sure we will see each other on the bus a fair bit. How exciting - bet you are looking forward to the season - lets hope its a good one for you! And yes as bar shaker suggest join up to a few Facebook groups... you are not working are you???? otherwise you could have gotten a Vie Val Dis seasonnaires discount card which would have saved in the shops etc.

MONTHLY UPDATE COMING UP!
snow conditions
It is supposed to be the Summer isnt it

It has been a rather mixed few weeks on the weather front. Whilst much of the rest of France has either a severe water shortage and / or a heatwave Val has generally had neither... much rain through and a few days of hot weather!

I have split the time between a few 'jobs' that need doing at home including laying a new floor in the apartment we rent out weekly and the like and also have been back here in the UK (where I am at the moment) for the last 10 days or so. Clare meanwhile has been getting on with the pregnancy and under 2 months to go now all the while whilst working at the Hotel. Olivia has been having fun at creche although it is now only a few weeks until she starts at preschool!

We have had a few visitors including Clare father and now her mother and whilst I have been back here in the UK I have taken my mother on a trip down memory lane (mainly for her but also to where I was born and spent my first few years of my life... on the wild South West coast of Scotland (just back from there yesterday). As we flew back yesterday somewhere over Berkshire I spotted out the window of the plane, far below us, the Red Arrows flying in formation - very cool to be able to look down on them fly underneath us!

As well as the usual weddings, births and deaths Val d'Isere has been in full on party season.... the Summer months are great fun as pretty much each weekend there is some sort of community event on... whether it be a fair, show, carnival parade or regional farmers market this weekend (shame I'm missing it as it is very cool). Of notable death was Josette Mattis who was the matriarch of the Mattis family here in town and one of the 'main' families in the town.

Villaret du Nial tunnel has been upgraded to afford better lighting in it - mainly for the cyclists in the Summer months.

One of the nicest guys in town, Ben, the young technical director of ESF Val Village... getting in the spirit of things at one of the carnivals

Huge Geraci - Val d'Isere top racer in the French B team announces his retirement from racing.... there was hope that he would make it all the way to the Olympic team in a few years time.... a sad loss for the Club des Sports as they really thought he would make the grade!

Val d'Isere rugby team in action against a team from Poncharra (near Grenoble) - the ground BTW is up the Manchet near the bottom of the Santons piste

The annual Val d'Isere 'Environment day' where locals (we couldnt make it this year) are invited to help clean up the mountains in exchange for fun (and a free lunch) this year collected a whopping 789KG of 'rubbish' off the slopes of which about 100kg could be recycled.... wow nearly a ton of rubbish on our slopes in a season!

Oh dear another rock fall up at the Col! Took about 3 days to clear and make safe the road! Just like....

The amazing carnival parade through town - the floats are amazing and this years theme was 'heroes, villains and fairytales'....they give out so many sweets, wine and all sorts... really fun thing to watch if you are ever in town when it happens.

...or something a little more cultured...

... even at altitude...

... at the Ouillette

Not a complete list (see Radio Val posting from the 09/08/17) but a picture of the various street names in Val d'Isere.

I just like this picture (when it wasnt cloudy and raining!)

.... and I think that brings you all up to date.

So next month I will once again be posting early / mid September and then it will be baton down the hatches time as the baby is due 10th October BUT if the first is anything to go by then it will be early.... so if for some reason there is a long pause between this posting and the next then you will realise why. It is also standard practice for a baby to be kept in hospital for 5 days in France after birth so it could be a while especially as I will getting Olivia to school as she will have JUST started at her new school for the first time. Either way I will be back doing my daily updates from mid November...... so watch this space.

Take care everyone.

Steve
snow conditions
Great photos Steve!

My mate Cyril is in your block, currently doing a major 'reno'. I expect you know him. Yes, the pool is heated and always surprisingly warm. It was one year ago yesterday that we completed on our place. It has been the best year of my life Very Happy

The lighting in the Villaret du Nial tunnel is great, just a shame that the other tunnels next to it don't have the same. Puzzled

Love the fairies on the forklift. We would be sent to prison if we did that on a UK building site, let alone on the road, next to the public Laughing

We may be back out mid Sept, just to do some walking and service the skis and boards. The trip is weather dependant and it hasn't been brilliant this summer. Last summer seemed much warmer, or is that nostalgia. I'll pm you and see if you fancy a pint, if we make it out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy