Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Steve thanks for the reply we are looking for native English teachers for a 10 and 12 year old girls some half days and full days we would also like to do a group lesson for 6 to 8 people 9th January can you recommend anyone ? Can you also advise best way to purchase lift passes . Thanks again daren.
[b]Steve Angus[
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus, Sent you a Message mate. Cheers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Angus, Germain Mattis was a ski instructor who was taken away by the Germans during the war. Charles Diebold organised the Prix de Printemps which evolved into the Première Niege.
IMHO . This is by far the best blog on life in a ski resort. Should be in the Sunday papers. Keep it up. Love it Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ibex wrote:
Steve Angus, Germain Mattis was a ski instructor who was taken away by the Germans during the war. Charles Diebold organised the Prix de Printemps which evolved into the Première Niege.
IMHO . This is by far the best blog on life in a ski resort. Should be in the Sunday papers. Keep it up. Love it Very Happy

you are too kind... in fact everyone is very encouraging on SH... I do intend to keep it up.

Val d'Isere has such a rich history with all these wonderful characters. Talking of the war... if you go up past the Gorge de Malpasset there is a war memorial up there near the refuge... even in a small isolated part of the world like that the WW2 inflicted its horrors!

Ricklovesthepowder and darencoch will respond tomorrow to you both. Hope that is OK.

Steve
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus, No probs. Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Angus wrote:

Ohh yes before I forget... if anyone knows anyone looking for a 11th - 18th February HT holiday to Val d'Isere then our chalet www.freshchalets.co.uk is available... 4-6 people includes free private transfer and the free half day lesson with me... please get in touch... sorry for the plug but thought I would mention it. It can be taken catered or self catered.

Adios until tomorrow.

Given the words of wisdom, advice and interest you've put in this thread then I think a bit of gentle pimping is definitely IN order

Keep up the good work. Even makes me want to put 'val' on the 'to be skiied list'... somewhow I always seem to turn off the N90 at Moutiers or Bourg..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, seconded (including the last bit!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thirded snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sad, I know but I am addicted to webcams. Just "visited Tignes Val Claret, and they appear to have snow cannons working!! I thought that there has been a lot of snow....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
margaret, looks like they're for the half pipe
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Angus, it was a bit of a joke Razz i know how they work, but i did wonder as i'll have a month between end of season and having my qualification, if i'll be able to use it as a potential date idea Laughing i am 19 btw so i'm not some old guy out to pick up young chalet girls Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Other little known fact... the main reason they do not grit the roads / pavements around here is (contrary to popular belief that it makes the place look 'prettier' (it does that too - arguably)) is that if they grit the roads... it will eventually end up in the River Isere which flows down the valley and further south and would alter the PH of the water they use to make wine which would alter its taste (for the worst) they reckon.

Hi Steve,
May also be due to the fact that salted roads refreeze between -8 to -9 C. Obviously if that happens your in a whole world of pain. Not a problem in the U.K but a real posibility at 1850M.
Reading the blog every day is keeping me going, had my fill of Jeremy K and Loose Women. Although reading about the great snow and perfect skies does make my plaster cast go a little green. Going to bust my balls to get fit to ski again this season. Cast is hopefully coming off Tuesday 10th.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pdx, BASI L2 does allow you to teach in some European countries, but not France!!! Steve Angus, you appear *very* well qualified, and I love this thread, Espace Killy is one of my favourite areas, although Stuben is winning out for family holidays at the moment Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...blimey so many replies to catch up on... as promised will do later this evening.

SNOW ALERT...... wait for it......wait..... wait.... wait..... yep you guessed it. It is SNOWING once again.... no surprises there. It is supposed to keep going virtually non stop until the weekend - a few breaks here and there but relatively continuous.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
'Tis IMO better to have a compacted snowy road driven on by cars that have appropriately booted wheels than a gritted slush fest being driven on by fools Happy
ski holidays
Steve Angus, do you know what the accumaleted snow fall is for Val and Tignes at resort level so far this season?
snow conditions
Steve Angus, i'm addicted to this thread at the moment, keep up the good work.

My Brother and i arrive in Val d'Isere on Saturday 21st January, staying for a fortnight, can't wait.
latest report
Puzzled anyone know why the camera facing the Folie is stuck on 20 Dec, often like to look at that when in work Toofy Grin
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder... I have replied to you (PM). I don't know the total accumulated snow fall for Val or Tignes for this season I am afraid... but I am guessing it is somewhere around about 4 metres of so. I believe the average seasonally is somewhere around 8 metres (can't remember where I read that) for the EP in a typical season... so we are well on the road to achieving that. CERTAINLY way more already this season than in the whole of last season.

darencoch We do have availability for private sessions next week... best bet would be to email valdisere@tdcski.com with your exact requests. 3 hour half day sessions are €215 in total (that is for either 1 or 2 people in the lesson) or if you want a full day then the grand total is €480 in total for the day.... those are per session per instructor prices. A group lesson for 6 - 8 people - one off.... your best bet is to simply book a private half / full day and split the cost between you... again Sara in our TDC Val d'Isere office will be able to help there. Lift passes: You can buy in advance - registration etc hassle in advance but saves you a little - get more info on Valdisere.com or www.valdiserepass.com ..... hope that all helps. Shout if you need anything else.

Chris ski H Good to hear from you Chris... good luck with the plaster coming off on Tuesday... make sure you do get fit and come back out - I still have to take you on the Tour du Cugnai before the season is up... get back to HH and do some one legged skiing to get the strength back!

bertie bassett, Pedantica, pam w, kitenski and Backcountryboarder thank you for your votes of confidence... I think of this as a daily release / review of the past 24 hours and I know there are eager eyes that love to hear first hand what is happening on the front line out here... I will keep it going.

pdx ha haa.

OK THINK I HAVE CAUGHT UP WITH EVERYTHING NOW... WILL DO THE DAILY POST IN A MOMENT.
snow conditions
Kiters no idea... will see if I can spot anything obvious next time I am passing by.
ski holidays
Steve, agree with all the comments....great blog, weather update....and a little history and comedy thrown in......out on the 26th of this month and cant wait.....
ski holidays
Steve Angus, Cheers for the reply mate. Looked int o a few of those options you said and sent a few requests off. 4 metres is pretty good for the first week in January! If i head out to Tignes/Val we will have to meet up and you can show me around the place Cool
snow report
A bit of a roller coaster of a day really...

I was standing at the bus stop this morning thinking to myself that there was going to be an awful lot of hot chocolate breaks today and how could I possibly sustain a prison sentence of 10 year old chat about goodness knows what for hours on end. It didn't turn out that way in the end.

We bussed it down to La Daille and took the Funival up as the Olympique was not moving and they had not even put the chairs on the Solaise Express. I had warned the kids when we got to the top that it was going to be 10 minutes of hell until we dropped low enough out of the major strong and cold wind. After some moaning and groaning they got into the swing of things and were quite enjoying themselves.... we were in business for the day.

About the best of the weather for the day and there was nice tracks and snow to be had all over the EP even though the wind was gusting to high strengths at times and the weather really closed in much of the time.

I was treated (thanks to the clients - what a lovely treat) to a top notch lunch at the Folie Douce... we were given the 'top table' in the wine cellar. This is a place of legend in Val d'Isere... I had heard about this room in the bowels of the Folie but never seen it let alone been in there.... the racks of wine up and down the room were inspiring... the magnums and 'expensive' (by Folie Douce standards that is) champagnes and wines were behind glass doors. Sorry about the quality of the photo - no flash on my camera phone... but you get the idea!

BUT LOOK AT THE WEATHER FORECAST... HOLD ON TO YOUR HORSES.... and if you are coming next week.... boy you have it just right... quiet pistes... fresh powder...

Oh yes before I sign off I have decided to get a new phone with better camera on it... not sure how long until I finally get around to buying it but hopefully sometime soon you will see better (or more continually better quality (in theory)) photos. Yee haa.

Right off to bed... may have to endure the hot chocolate break marathon tomorrow instead of today so need an early night to gather some strength. haa haa. (bless their cotton socks they really are great kids - im only kidding myself that it is tough work teaching them!)
snow conditions
Excellent updates Steve, and good news on the phone upgrade. I highly recommend a Samsung Galaxy S2. Looking forward to your report after all the snow tomorrow!
snow conditions
Piccadilly ... thanks for the recommendation... that is the sort of thing I am after... Android, unlocked with good camera... looks good.
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
Piccadilly ... thanks for the recommendation... that is the sort of thing I am after... Android, unlocked with good camera... looks good.

pr consider a motorola defy plus which is a bit more waterproof / rugged than the s2 also android..
ski holidays
thanks bertie bassett as well.

*********************************************************************************************************************
I could say it is NOT snowing this morning as a NEWS FASH.... that would be a change wouldn't it............ but no..................
ITS DUMPING..... AGAIN . Its getting predicable isn't it. Light winds (by the looks of things in the doom and gloom of the early morning) down here in town but vis worsening by the second... should be an interesting day!
*********************************************************************************************************************
snow report
Steve Angus, good luck with today! Love reading your posts and I'm not even coming anywhere near your area! snowHead Next week looks like a cracker Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Angus, keep the updates coming mate, love reading them!!! Think im going to Meribel in 3V now not Val D'Isere but thanks for your help.
snow conditions
Maybe it'll have stopped snowing by the time we get to Val D'Isere in March... Weather looks great for next week though for anyone heading out. snowHead
ski holidays
Steve Angus, great posts, keep them coming, your getting our group very excited about our trip out next week, although we will be over in Tignes we will be spending a lot of time on the Val side, here's hoping for the forecast to come true!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder no worries - sure you will have an excellent time... besides means more pow for me over this way.
snow conditions
LOCKDOWN / UNDER SEIGE whatever you want to call it... thats the state of play at this moment in time.

When people say they are 'snowed in' that usually means that they have to dig a path out and it is a hassle... however at this moment in time I am thinking that perhaps we will be snowed in and quite literally I may need to tunnel my way out... however the snowing is coming off the flat roof above and piling up outside the window / front door at a rate of knots... the pressure is falling massively and the wind is VERY VERY VERY strong... anyway more of that in a moment.

The day started surprisingly calm... there was lots of snow for sure - I reckon a good 10-15cms had fallen overnight... but (certainly down in the valley at village level) there was little / no wind... so everything seemed to open on time which I think everyone was surprised about.

The kids were on great form today and we spent the morning lapping around on the Madelaine lift.... no one seemed to want to come and enjoy the excellent conditions... as you can see from the photo (well sort of anyway) empty pistes and no-one on the lifts. They have just about managed to get flexing and extending coupled with 'chips' (as opposed to pizza) with their skis AND pole planting down to a fine art... well done kids.

The conditions got steadily worse and worse as the morning then afternoon went on....

SORRY INTERRUPTION... THE WIND IS SO STRONG AS I TYPE HERE THAT I THINK OUR SATELLITE DISH MAY JUST HAVE BLOWN OFF THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING - I WAS JUST GETTING INTO THAT EPISODE OF LEWIS... THE SIGNAL HAS TOTALLY GONE... NO WAY I CAN GET ROUND THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING TO CHECK RIGHT NOW - bug.

Anyway what was I saying...

As the afternoon went on the winds got up and the snowfall intensity increased... little by little the lifts closed down.

By late afternoon this was the view outside Doudounne night club in the centre of town.

I got home about an hour ago as it got dark... my little apartment is the one with the light on. I would estimate that that pile of snow outside and to the left as we look is now about 3-4 metres deep... in the pre and post season period I park my car outside the flat and if it were there now I very much doubt there would be any sort of trace of it.... so I think I really may get snowed in... think I had better get up at midnight to start digging my way out of the front door!

Breaking news They have just announced that the PIDA has been called in to shut off Fornet to cars and pedestrians (as if you would walk anywhere in this) and everyone has been told to stay indoors wherever possible... a small avalanche came down across the road about an hour ago (VVVVVVV small one) so the car had to be pulled free from that between here and La Daille.

Things are now happening very fast here... I think they may be about to call it an 5/5 avalanche risk and possibly close the road between here and Bourg St Maurice... will keep everyone updated as all there is left to do is watch DVD's and use the internet.
snow report
Greta update but where is this picture of your apartment with the light on??? rolling eyes Conditions sound very scary out there, stay safe - leave the satellite dish for now!
snow report
Agggh, I'm coming to Val d'isere in 10 days time. I hope that the wind and avalanches have calmed down by then! I want powder and blue skies please. Smile
snow report
Steve Angus, had more than your fair share of this, haven't you? Sounds very grim up there. Hope your power hangs in there. Have lost my satellite signal too, but only because the snow has piled up so high - the dish is well protected on the terrace and obviously wind speeds down at 1550m don't compare to yours.
ski holidays
ohhhhhhh woops:

Quote:
I got home about an hour ago as it got dark... my little apartment is the one with the light on. I would estimate that that pile of snow outside and to the left as we look is now about 3-4 metres deep... in the pre and post season period I park my car outside the flat and if it were there now I very much doubt there would be any sort of trace of it.... so I think I really may get snowed in... think I had better get up at midnight to start digging my way out of the front door!
ski holidays
I got scared reading that Steve, you didnt mention the noise of the howling wind...I must say glad I aint there at the moment - but you take care you guys!!!
snow conditions
binkacat wrote:
Agggh, I'm coming to Val d'isere in 10 days time. I hope that the wind and avalanches have calmed down by then! I want powder and blue skies please. Smile

...so do we all.
snow conditions
i'm going to val d'isere tomorrow...hope we'll be able to get to the resort from geneva!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy