Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
he's written gibberish on the weather thread too
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

COLD

Even though the air temperature was only a few degrees below for most of the day (-10 at worst) it felt really cold today... probably because the sun was not making much of appearance most of the time.

On the board again this morning and we had a dusting of perhaps 5cm which made the pistes once again in top condition. I hit the blacks with them this morning in preparation for their first foray onto Le Face (perhaps tomorrow) which they are equally apprehensive and excited about.

This afternoon I worked through a number of admin jobs but the time seems to have flown by this afternoon and I don't really know what I achieved which is a little frustrating.

BAD NEWS the TDC curry night planned for this Saturday, has been postponed as not enough people can make it this Saturday.......... OH NO I was seriously looking forward to that.......... will make the anticipation even greater for when it actually happens!

So tomorrow I am back on my skis for once.... I private in the morning and then I am starting a 3 day clinic at 'Development' level - so red runs skiers or thereabouts.... it should be fun!

Hope Dave C feels better tomorrow as he is doing his BASI Level 3 off piste course and I know he feels pretty under the weather this evening - some sort of an upset stomach!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like a LOT of snow heading your way Steve... Enjoy Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's great, thanks for posting.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MORNING UPDATE

No new snow overnight to speak of but it is really cold out there and the clouds look threatening - I should think it will start snowing soon..... fingers crossed!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Angus, cold? Bloomin' freezing down in Brev. Dogs didn't get much of a morning walk, that's for sure, and the car certainly doesn't start ....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

DIB, DIB, DIB, DOB, DOB, DOB; Be Prepared

Well the weather really could not decide what to do with itself today..... cold..... well yes but I was seriously layered up with 7 layers today so I did not feel too bad at all! In the morning it was rather overcast and thought about snowing.

I had a lovely young couple and we worked on red / black run technique and they made some nice changes to their skiing and seemed to really enjoy enjoy themselves. BRAVO. They have a little 3 year old whom they have left at home this time but when they come back next year they will probably bring her with them... so I am looking forward to teaching her as I think they were quite keen for me to get on the case next year with her! Always a pleasure introducing the little ones into the world of skiing!

At lunchtime I finally remembered (and had the correct details on me) to ask my colleague Ben to call our mobile phone people (FREE mobile) to re-negotiate a new contract for Clare as it has been something I have been meaning to do for ages and requires quite a lot of technical French which Ben is way better at than me - thanks matey.

The afternoon was spent running day one of my Development clinic and the three people seemed to enjoy themselves - we looped around on a FANTASTIC Arcelle - the snow was perfect.... probably best I have seen on it actually. The weather went from cloudy to sunny to snowy.

The weather has really closed in this evening and it has been snowing pretty much non stop all afternoon and evening... it shall be interesting to see what happens tomorrow - they are forecasting COLD and SUNNY - we shall see!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great report as always Steve. Fingers crossed for some sun tomorrow as I'm hoping to take the two lads I'm away with up to Le Fornet glacier from Tignes. The snow was great in Tignes today but visibility was a problem. Lets see what tomorrow brings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks a lot like yesterday morning once again.... with cloud and a few cm's of snow on the ground..... minus 12. I think there may have been quite heavy snow and wind up top last night so it will be interesting to see what conditions are like when I get up there.

Thanks for the comment andyc182
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The thermometer at the bottom of Marmottes said -20 at about 9.30 this morning..... it was chilly. Thank goodness for the sun which was trying its best to raise the temperature by a few degrees here and there!

There had been about 10cm overnight which was nice but being so cold the snow was very sticky.

So today was the day when my snowboarder team had been building up to.... the last 10 days or so of lessons was going to result in a trip down the Face in damn near perfect conditions. So after a couple of warm up's on the Fontaine Froid and then the OK Orange we dived in....

They rode the Face really well and were pleasantly surprised - well done folks! In fact as one went home as she was too cold to carry on the other half decided we should do it again...... even better the second time around!

Anyway I was SOOO needing a warm up at lunchtime and before the afternoons activities on skis.

My afternoon Development Clinic was interesting... firstly one member of the group of 3 decided that they were not up to the level of the group and wanted to go down a group (surprised me as they WERE at the level - the talk between me and my colleague was actually about moving someone UP / not down). Anyway we set of with two and the plan was to carry one from where we left off yesterday and get onto blacks by the end of the session. After only about 30 mins it became clear the one of the two was having ski issues and took a couple of falls that were a simple trip / mistake.... however the second fall resulted in a bashed shoulder so he decided to call it a day.... I was down to one!!!!!!! We non-the-less had a fun afternoon and enjoyed the skiing.

So this evening I have been sorting out all sorts of things relating to our seasonnaires program and then we are going next door for dinner in a moment so must rush.

Should be cool but clear again tomorrow before the promised snow starts to move in tomorrow night, Friday and over the weekend - transfer day COULD be interesting - we shall see!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thankyou. I fear our trip out Saturday could be interesting..if we make it out of Gatwick..am trying to hold off getting too excited at the moment, for once i wont be looking forward to seeing the snow here in the UK thats forcast Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Angus, are the details of your development clinics on the TDC Website??

cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:

cheers,

greg

Yes.... but Development Clinic is the level of Clinic.... we have Confidence, Discovery, Development, Development Plus, Challenges... then we also have Off piste clinics at various levels too.

Check them out here....

http://www.tdcski.com/val_disere/group_clinics_valdisere/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sooooo coold - skiing in Val d'Isere and Tignes was not so enjoyable because of the cold. I had 4 layers, while some nice TDC instructors had ... 14 .... Next year TDC development clinics is my No1 priority - had reached the stage when I do all the same things over and over again. Was hoping to see/meet Steve on a piste, but no luck Smile
Despite the cold the EK is beautiful
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boy was it cold today....but VAL was warmer than Tignes where my breath froze on my face covering and my extra layers were not enough. Brilliant snow though.
We set off for Sashes and asked the piste patrol if it had been bashed. Short radio check and the answer comes back a definite yes. It wasn't true but the run was so good it didn't matter with soft powdery bumps and some hard stuff to turn on.
Will take the TDC approach of putting on all the clothes I brought before skiing tomorrow! It does feel warmer outside tonight and there is no wind at all at resort level.

Wish I had booked the development clinic to keep me out on Tues when visibility was very poor.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
kitenski wrote:

cheers,

greg

Yes.... but Development Clinic is the level of Clinic.... we have Confidence, Discovery, Development, Development Plus, Challenges... then we also have Off piste clinics at various levels too.

Check them out here....

http://www.tdcski.com/val_disere/group_clinics_valdisere/

Thanks, so would the Challenges Clinic be useful for me as L2 retest prep would you think?? do they TDC publicise which dates they run on??

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
mooney058 - who the heck was that at 14 layers - I was on 8.... ditto again today. Not sure I could get 10 let alone 14 layers on!
AndrewBailey - they sometimes bash the top and bottom in two separate (alternating) nights on the Sashe..... also sometimes (im not saying you thought this or were informed correctly or incorrectly - don't get me wrong) they bash a piste..... it snow a few cms on top which gives illusion that it had not been bashed and /or the fresh snow on a steep piste is VERY quickly, due to traffic, turned into soft bumpy moguls!
kitenski - Challenges would be OK but perhaps a little too OP orientated usually..... Development Plus may be better! We generally offer clinics at each level each week and they usually start on Tuesday. Sometimes we have BASI Prep clinics and sometimes week long clinics (early / late season clinics)........ they are usually listed on the website but you are always best off emailing the office or joining the mailing list as there are always mentioned on there. But either way if you know you are coming out a particular week contact the valdisere@tdcski.com or tignes@tdcski.com email addresses and they will open up a clinic (if there is space) for the level you ask for e.g. Dev Plus or whatever.

MORNING UPDATE - looks very similar to yesterday out there - cold and pretty clear.... wrap up VERY warm and plan to take regular warm up breaks today folks..... its the frost nip season!
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
mooney058 - who the heck was that at 14t layers - I was on 8.... ditto again today. Not sure I could get 10 let alone 14 layers on!
[

MORNING UPDATE - looks very similar to yesterday out there - cold and pretty clear.... wrap up VERY warm and plan to take regular warm up breaks today folks..... its the frost nip season!

it was Sarah, btw, she tought my brother and it is his first ever week in mountains. Unfortunately we could not extend ski lessons as tdctignes is fully booked...The week is not over yet, but my two big objectives wsre reached (a) my brother started skiing and enjoys it a lot,(b) we are having a great time.
myself I was on 5 layers and it was perfect today.
snow conditions
mooney058 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BALTIC with EXTRA large letters.

....and just in case you can't make out the temperature...

-24 C bottom of Fontaine Froide at 9.30am!

It really was a cold one. There was some wind at higher altitudes therefore the knack today was to look for slopes in the sun but not at too high an altitude so as to get wind..... even the wind speed when skiing along meant it felt closer to -40 I reckon! You had to be real careful of exposed skin!

First thing in the morning it looked quite bleak out there and I new I would be out in it for 6 hours..... eeek!

Anyway the morning was interesting as we decided to hit the park... my team did some nice work actually and then the final trip down the Face they were (deservedly) very pleased with themself as they had made improvements on yesterdays attempts - well done.

At lunchtime there was a crush to huddle around the electric heater where we eat our lunch..... boots, feet, gloves - you name it - everything came off and was placed around the heater to get some heat into us....... the afternoon seemed a lot warmer until the sun went down!

I decided to work on carving with my guys and they really lovely it.... the first two sessions of my clinic I had worked on 'steeper' and now we went flatter but faster - they had a wonderful time.... if not a cold one!

Finally managed to clear my desk this evening and file loads of things away........... ordered a yummy curry for dinner which was perfect to replace all the calories I had burned today trying to keep warm.... in fact I am knackered and so looking forward to bed in a moment - the cold REALLY takes it out of you even when you are wearing 9 layers!

We decided not to go and watch the polo this evening as the temperature is plunging down lower and lower and the hour long bath I took this evening was required to warm me up after a day on the slopes; I did not want to get cold once again!

(Photo courtesy of Radio Val d'Isere)

So tomorrow I will be lugging skis, board and off piste gear and all sorts up to the meeting point as I am off piste in the morning.... I might intentionally walk to get some tracks to get some warmth going although the temps are supposed to raise tomorrow and into the weekend - yippee and some snow is coming!

Good luck to Dave C for tomorrow on his final day of his Off Piste course - you can do it.... he got his requisite one transceiver in 1 min 45 secs today so that is that element passed - well done!

Looking forward to a few beers and dinner at the Lodge tomorrow night as well with drinks with a long time client of mine at Victors beforehand...... transfer day is looming though!

Take care and stay warm!
snow report
Bloody cold over on the glacier this morning, not helped by my companions whose idea it was to go over there. Came down on my own, caught the bus back to the centre and had a blast away from the artic weather.

Piste conditions great. Piste "m" has had blowers on for a while and has some soft moguls around the snow makers. Really nice otherwise.

Andrew's top tip - when it is minus 24 wear all the layers you can and cover all exposed skin. Some of these lifts are long and if they break down frostbite or worse beckons.

Steve Angus, you're right about Sachs. Some parts were pretty smooth especially the drop to the end.

Last day here on Friday and better weather is on the way. A whole 10 degrees warmer Happy
snow conditions
-22.2 C down here in the village this morning...... bets on what it will be up top??????????????? Weather looks very similar to yesterday!

P.S. If you are travelling this weekend and are travelling by road and can do, then I would consider leaving early tomorrow morning as snow is forecast.... likewise with the snow in the UK today and for the next few days allow extra time to get to the airport / train stations etc and expect delays!
snow report
Steve Angus, it would snow on transfer day, could be worse I could be on a bus from the uk.

Ah bug I am - off to italy to do my first weeks instructing in Aosta with interski.

Loving the updates and hope to get across to val later this year, val is the best place I have ever skied. Infact loved it to the extent I have even looked at apartment prices but they are more expensive than my 4 bed detached house in the uk.

Keep wrapped up out there
snow conditions
Curtains, good luck. Fancy creating a new post detailing how you get on next week???
snow report
kitenski, will do mate, I meant to do a blog last year on my course but never got around to it. You made and plans for you tech resit?
ski holidays
Curtains, My O/H Snowgood would probably like to hear about your Pila experience. She should have been there this week but had to cancel due to illness. rolling eyes

She did her L2 with TDC in Tignes last year and this would have been her first outdoor "on the hill" teaching.

Good Luck Madeye-Smiley .
snow report
GeorgeVII, cheers.

sorry to hear that Snowgood cant make it, I am actually looking forward to the coach jouney but i'm sure i'll be saying never again when I get back.

I thought I would do it for a week at first then do a couple next year if all goes well and they want me back:),

I did my level 2 last year in Val with ICE
latest report
Curtains wrote:
kitenski, will do mate, I meant to do a blog last year on my course but never got around to it. You made and plans for you tech resit?

No plans yet, think I made huge improvements on my longs in San Cassiano last weekend. Can't help but think if we'd had better weather and I didn't injure myself and miss a day off then I might well have cracked it....

Posting here for Steve as well Smile

Dodgy capture from video in poor light at the end of the day excuse Wink

latest report
kitenski,
Quote:

huge improvements on my longs

What are they?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
kitenski,
Quote:

huge improvements on my longs

What are they?

long radius carved turns on piste, ie two clean tram lines with zero skid.
latest report
GOTTA BE QUICK

Off out for dinner in a moment so gonna be real quick.

Warmer today...... - 15 as opposed to -25 for most of the day - bliss!

Pistes were in AMAZING condition today for the most part...... did some little dropping off the sides of the piste in the morning with my boarders and my afternoon lesson was with a nice guy from the west country who wanted to improve his technique in order to get down the Face for the first time - and he did it with style - good work fella!

Bad news as fellow SH Chris H got banged into on piste (he has been off piste most of the week) and fractured his shoulder..... some Scandinavian 16 stone viking apparently! Off out for beers and dinner with him to cheer him up. Congrats to another friend Dave C who passed his BASI Level 3 Off Piste course this week.... all the studying paid off Dave - well done.

Only piece of interesting news apart from the fact that we are expecting some good snow coming our way.... was that the tunnel into Val was closed for a short while this pm after a minor car crash - all open now.

Good luck for travel tomorrow - I suspect the main problems tomorrow will be the UK end but if the snow comes hard tonight / tomorrow then it could be interesting!

Sorry gotta a rush!
snow conditions
MORNING UPDATE

Looks like about 10cm of snow has fallen here in the Village overnight and all the way down the valley and is still going strong. Quite a lot of flights have been cancelled including our guests at 1pm this afternoon - could be a long day!
snow conditions
SORRY FOR NOT POSTING YESTERDAY OR THIS MORNING!

It turned into a long day yesterday - but not really because of bad traffic or anything in my case.

I woke up at 4am and immediately checked the weather outside... it had snowed about 10-20cm!!!!! Wow..... next I checked the airports and train statuses and already our outgoing clients flight had been cancelled! So as soon as I got to the chalet and told them they were on the phone to re-arrange their travel plans back home........ after much faffing they decided just to book new flights. The journey itself to the airport (Geneva) was easy enough with pretty clear and quiet roads.... the two little ones in the back meant that we had to stop a fair few times for toilet stops etc!

Anyway the weather actually got worse (after initially clearing up) as we got closer to Geneva. It had obviously being snowing all the way to Geneva overnight and the roads were generally just wet now! As a result I went through a LOT of screen wash yesterday!

As we all know there was a LOT of disruption at Geneva and at UK airports yesterday and arrivals was VERY quiet as a result but departures was a different story.

I dropped our guests off (I think they eventually got out of Geneva at about 2100 last night having been dropped off at 1100) and had a short rest before heading back to Bourg to pick up our incoming guests off the train from London.

The weather was doing some funny things in Bourg when I got back - it was blowing a gale and was definitely getting warmer.

The incoming guests had a LOT of luggage so I had to minimise how much food I purchased. The car gets so dirty on these mountain roads so I gave it its weekly clean (by the time I got back up the hill it was filthy again!).... anyway they arrived safely (30 mins late) and I got them up to Val safely.

The rapid warming and Foehn wind is taking its toll..... Clare and I went around to Tignes Le Lac yesterday evening for dinner with James and Lena - thanks guys - had a lovely evening, and we could clearly see that a large full depth slab had come down on the Lavachet wall (out of harms way) but it does serve as reminder of how slides can occur real close to civilisation and secondly that a pitch that is so often skied as the wall can still move!

James and Lena laid on a real Savoyarde feast for us last night with a pierade and then james made a wonderful Tarte Tatin from scratch - yummy and fun evening - thanks guys!

I got a text through at dinner time confirming that our new guests did NOT want their free lesson this morning ------- OK then ill take the day off and have a lie in thank you very much!

So I duly had my first lie in since Christmas day and have been doing all sorts of odd-jobs at home, watching films etc - a most relaxing day!

The weather has turned VERY weird in the last few days..... from minus 25 mid week the temperature is now above zero and the wind is VERY strong! They are forecasting some snow and sun and wind and rain (basically no-one knows what is going to happen in the next few days - we shall see).

....right back to the football on TV.... should be able to give a short little update later on before being back to teaching tomorrow..... we have the Europa Cup in town this week and I am doing my community service hours for the Mairie on that this week which should change the slant of my daily reports for a couple of days!
snow conditions
Quote:

our new guests did NOT want their free lesson this morning

there's no account for some folk - fancy turning down such a thing!
snow conditions
Thanks for the update Steve. I was wondering about yesterday's update. I'm off next Sunday for 2 weeks.....
ski holidays

WINDY but WARM

I personally did not go up there today but the photo above was taken by a friend (thanks Matt)....

Anyway it was warm yet windy (wind coming from the south and east (Foehn) and by windy I mean really windy. The actual pistes are still in great condition but the good news is that more snow is forecast ... lets hope the temperatures drop a little so the quality of the snow is good!

Anyway not much else to forecast this evening........ however I did get this interesting photo of the Lavachet wall slide from yesterday (thanks to Henry at HAT for this).

snow report
MORNING UPDATE

Looks like we had about 2-5cm of new snow in the village overnight but we are shrouded in thick and low lying cloud this morning...... it is -5c so not too cold either.

I am now not teaching until this afternoon which is fine by me.

For those heading up this morning then I think you may, just 'may', get your head through the clouds if you head HIGH to the glacier.... either that or it will worse up there!!!!!

Have fun.
ski holidays
That's a big slide Steve with the apartments on the right gives you some perspective of size.
I'm seeing the consultant Wednesday so hopefully know what's happening with my shoulder then, but feels not to bad at mo. I won't be out next week as planned but I'm sure I'll be back in March.
snow conditions
Quote:

That's a big slide Steve with the apartments on the right gives you some perspective of size.

Shocked Certainly is. Should serve as a cautionary sight for anyone tending to ignore the warnings
ski holidays
Cloud blew out this morning then came and went all day bringing snow in the afternoon. So far only a light dusting and not actually snowing right this minute. Pistes were a bit icy on the way down to resort but otherwise chalky and grippy. Also took a run down Tour du Charvet. Snow was rather heavy and sugary and definitely found it hard work. Hoping it starts snowing some more this evening...
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Certainly is. Should serve as a cautionary sight for anyone tending to ignore the warnings

That area's quite prone to sliding I think, but that one is quite big. There's a nasty terrain trap at the bottom too, not somewhere to be messing about.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy