Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Steve Angus, Great work on the reports. Have to admit I'm avidly reading this thread just because it's fun, interesting and slightly addictive. snowHead Sadly, I have no immediate plans to get out there... although you are tempting me daily.. Cool Happy digging snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schuss in Boots, I'm exactly the same! I'm off to Val Thorens but can't help checking this thread Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The word around town is that this is the big one... the big one is about to arrive (in terms of snowfall). Im stunned as to be honest today was intense. I was shocked as the Solaise and Olympique opened (virtually) on time despite the fresh snow and moderate winds overnight. So the clients and I headed up nice and expectant:

... as soon as we got to the top it was apparent that not only was nothing else going to be opening up but we had just ended up at the North Pole on a bad day. After much swearing from the clients inbetween woops of joy in the powder on the way down the wind and snow was getting noticeably heavier and heavier. We decided to stay low and it was a good choice as little but little all the other parts of the lift network shut down and by the end of the day it was a massive blizzard all across the resort.

The 50cm or so that is STILL to come (at least that and maybe up to ANOTHER metre) in the next 24-48 hours should make for incredible conditions by the start of next week.

Between digging the path out this morning and getting in from skiing about an hour ago there has been at least a foot of snow to fall here in town! The stats will show that by the time Sunday morning arrives already this season in Val d'Isere in the space of 2 weeks we have had as much snow as we had in the whole of last season well apparently anyway!

To think that last season we STILL managed to last into May.... it just goes to show that being high and at the end of the valley REALLY does pay dividends .... sorry got a little nostalgic there.

For those of you driving here in the next few days..... you may be interested in the following photo from Bourg St Maurice taken by a friend of mine this morning..... chains, snow tyres and 4x4 cars are all the rage on the road at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow! Supposed to be driving up around tomorrow lunchtime in a hire car with snow chains. I hope we make it!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
drdodds, make sure you practice how to put them on when you pick up the rental car - also to check they aren't broken! It's no fun to try to work it out in the wind and the slush.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scampi Dellahanti wrote:
drdodds, make sure you practice how to put them on when you pick up the rental car - also to check they aren't broken! It's no fun to try to work it out in the wind and the slush.
And check they are the right size for your tyres.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[grump] Steve Angus, I really, really must stop reading this thread..... [/grump]
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just got back in from dinner and was out for about 3.5 hours and in that time there must have been at least 10-15cm's of snowfall.... at that rate then by tomorrow am it could be up well over 50,60,70cms or more - blimey!

The town council have also confirmed that they have (for tonight at this stage only) closed the road to the fornet as well as the road to and from Bourg St Maurice. The ploughs will be out in full force before first light tomorrow to get the road going again but I think they are worried about avalanche danger.

As I stipulated before please please please, if you are driving down /up check out www.radiovaldisere.com for the very latest info!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mods can you please add a self - exclusion button to this thread?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
8611 wrote:
Mods can you please add a self - exclusion button to this thread?

Or maybe automatic extra smiley faces because I've got plans to be there for New Year and right now the forecast is showing snow every day til Xmas Eve at least snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

You can never get enough of a good thing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my camera would not do it justice so this is Radio Vals (www.radiovaldisere.com) photo from this am:

Fornet is totally cut off at this moment in time.... decision to be made momentarily about the road in and out of town.... but it is still going very strong out there. I woke about an hour ago to the sound of snowploughs outside my building doing their thang ..... mighty early for them to start but it is a big un!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
... latest updates:

a) fornet totally cut off
b) whole area below the face totally 100% closed and cut off.
c) Laisenant cut off
d) only 4x4's and 2 wheel drives with chains allowed betweem la daille and town.
e) road to bourg is open but VERY VERY VERY slow and a lorry has just slipped sideways therefore the road will be closed for a short time whilst they move that.
f) all schools and lifts shut. They may possibly open the Village lift, then the FRONT only of the Solaise - and possible the Diebold blue top to bottom from top of Funival but I doubt it.

The snow is coming down even harder now and officially we had 0.5m overnight and another (up to) metre forecast in next 24 hours.

I just walked back from the main bus station and had to follow this snow clearer (and his son helping out with the shovel obviously) - you can see how high the banks of snow already are.... took me 30 mins to dig my path out so I could even see the main road.... and then when I got back home it was under another 5cm's of snow in the space of an hour or so.... incredible!

Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Can there be too much snow? Laughing

Hope you manage to get up the hill to enjoy the pow soon!

Really hope this keeps going for another few weeks until my mate gets out there for his 40th... would make his year Very Happy

Then it can ease off a bit until we come out a bit later in the season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dances a little jig snowHead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 16-12-11 10:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look how much snow is on the chairlifts at the bottom this morning!!

http://www.valdisere.com/gb/val_d_isere/webcam/webcams.php

It reminds me of that morning at Glencoe last season.
latest report
Quote:

Really hope this keeps going for another few weeks

really hope it doesn't, or nobody will get any skiing at all over christmas and New Year; sounds as though the entire resort is going to be pretty well closed for at least the next couple of days.
snow report
wink Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

really hope it doesn't, or nobody will get any skiing at all over christmas and New Year; sounds as though the entire resort is going to be pretty well closed for at least the next couple of days.

I think it would be fair to say we are going to be pretty much pinned down / in for the next couple of days, yes!
snow conditions
Steve, this thread is amazing. I keep coming back day after day...well done mate!
ski holidays
our guests in the chalet understandably want to get out of here so they can get home (leave today as opposed to tomorrow)... I have offered to take them today to Geneva as I think it is only a matter of time before everything in, out and around town are 100% shut down... unfortunately my car is parked under the Face in the u/g car park and I am not even allowed to walk to get my car for fear of a slide coming down the Face.... as soon as I can get the car then I think I may be on the road... so you may or may not hear from me for a while - we shall see. My g/f has just said it is snowing all the way to Albertville and onwards in large quantities - she has to get to Austria today for a Eurotest which is on tomorrow.
snow report
Pretty worried, we're supposed to be driven up to Val from Lyon tonight. Hope the road stays clear & open...
ski holidays
Steve Angus, looking at the meteox radar you have around 3 hours tops until the "BIG" snow arrives. Looks like it's also going to be snowing up until that point on and off as well. I think if you leave, you won't get back for a while. Take a sleeping bag!!
latest report
That radar loop is scary. It's like watching the end of the world approaching.
snow report
cheers shoogly never seen that site before.... blimey it is like a snow-train free-wheeling our way at mach 10.... im sitting tight waiting to hear about the car park opening or not.

UPDATE:

a) now only raining in Bourg not snowing so you don't need chains to drive around the valley once they have run the ploughs along the road once.
b) the funival IS OPEN - they have said NO kids or beginners allowed at all (on the funival even to 'sightsee' (as if)) and only (and they really really mean it) EXPERT skiers only up there. The only run open is the verte and the diebold back down to La Daille but you have to pick up so much speed my friend has just texted me to say, to even 'get your periscope up.' That made me chuckle.

Just know that &*%)*@* path is gonna need digging out again in moment before I can go anywhere.

Beach anyone?
snow report
Steve Angus, be warned. once the first front of snow has passed, the FL/temps will drop again and you'll have snow down to lower levels again. Drive and play safe Very Happy
ski holidays
.... yea thanks shoogly - believe it or not im a geography teacher in the Summer months and obviously ski teacher in the Winter and im expecting that tail of the storm to be more than a sting in the tail
snow report
just saw this on another thread.... love it.

ski holidays
UPDATE:

Avalanche danger just gone up to 5 out of 5 - officially a black flag day - NO OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES OF ANY SORT ALLOWED. FULL STOP!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

our guests in the chalet understandably want to get out of here so they can get home (leave today as opposed to tomorrow)... I have offered to take them today to Geneva as I think it is only a matter of time before everything in, out and around town are 100% shut down... unfortunately my car is parked under the Face in the u/g car park and I am not even allowed to walk to get my car for fear of a slide coming down the Face.... as soon as I can get the car then I think I may be on the road.

Steve Angus, and now, presumably, there's no chance. thanks for your updates - it's very interesting, and illuminating, to get such detailed information from somebody running a business and with important stuff to do. I am just sitting here, having spent an hour digging snow, reading all the weather forecasts and reports and wondering whether to cook some fruit bread for tea.
snow conditions
pam w, that sounds nice Very Happy
latest report
pam w, I am now craving fruit bread.

It must be quite exciting (and/or frustrating) for all the people already in the resorts watching the snow belting down and wondering how much deeper it's going to get. I had that before, years ago in Alpe D'Huez during Christmas '94, 6 feet of snow fell and everywhere was snowed in.

It's rather nice sitting in a bar and watching the blizzard outside! Not so nice for people who have work to do and places to go.
snow report
Craving fruit bread +1. Pretty please, pam w, just drop some in to me?
snow conditions
Hi Steve,
Been reading the blog every day. WOW thought there was a lot of snow last week but this is crazy. Hope Claire keeps safe driving to Austria. I'm seeing the consultant this afternoon so I'll drop you a line and let you know how I get on. Great news about Dave. Great blog keep it coming.
latest report
this is amazing. according to val's website there's 150cm at the bottom and 210cm at the top...this was before the 'big' snow was meant to hit..! maybe the snowiest december on record?! i'm coming out in january for the whole season...hope there's lots and lots of snow!
snow report
looks like last seasons snow finally arrived Wink
snow report
Cool Cool Cool Cool
snow report
kitenski, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Well this is well and truly making up for last years poor effort! Gutted to not be out there but so pleased for everyone with businesses and jobs out in the alps.

When was the last massive snow fall in December that compares to this? Anyone know?

Very Happy
snow conditions
Probably December 2008
ski holidays
December 2008... classic times. I remember fondly jumping into an empty car park full of snow to find that there were cars at the bottom snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy