Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts close to Berne? Worth a weekend trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Considering making use of the Southampton Flybe service to Berne.....

Any resorts close by that you'd recommend? We usually hire a car for a weekend skiing in France or Italy and would do the same again here. Thinking of late Jan so lack of snow shouldnt be a problem (i hope!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Other people will make the resort recommendations but don't necessarily hire a car. The swiss railway sell a combined 2 day lift pass and train travel ticket (snow'n'rail) that might be interesting to you. Details are on http://www.railaway.ch but you may have to wait until November for the site to get updated

Should you pick Wengen, be aware of the date of the Lauberhorn world cup race.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the advice, will check the date for the Lauberhorn...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lauberhorn race is on during the Weekend of the 13th, 14th and 15th of Jan next year, if visiting Wengen or Murren it's not really worth hiring a car as you'd only have to leave it in Lauterbrunnen.

The best option so my local friends tell me is to get the Bus from the Airport to Bern Station and then the Express from Bern to Interlaken Ost, followed by the local train to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen, from Lauterbrunnen there's another change to go to Wengen or Murren, the alternative route is Bus to Belp station, train to Thun, train to Interlaken Ost etc.

As an alternative to public transport you could save about an hour and get a taxi from the Airport to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald but it will cost you about 200 CHf

The area is well worth a weeks skiing let alone a weekend as there's well over 200km of pistes in the area. the sensible option might be to fly out Friday and come back Monday giving you about 2.5 days of skiing, Bern Airport is about the same size as Southampton so check in etc is very quick.

If you want to know more about the Jungfrau Region just ask
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf,

This sounds interesting, Southampton is only a few miles from home - Is Grindlewald okay for a weekends skiing or would we need to ski elsewhere as well?

CP
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
loads, I live near Berne. You can head for the known stuff in Wengen, Adelboden etc, or try some smaller stuff. Have a look at my blog, you'll see some of the places I get to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP, Grindelwald is OK but Wengen is better, you just have to walk further in Grindelwald and it stays in the shade more as it's surrounded by high peaks, Wengen is on a high South facing terrase so is just nicer to stay in, you may have problems finding a hotel that will only let you stay for a weekend, but if you go out after the Lauberhorn race and before the second week in Feb you should be able to find somewhere, my personal favorite is the 3star hotel Alpenrose in Wengen, however for doing things on the cheap you could do worse than contact the Wengen Tourist office who will be able to find you suitable accomodation.

I've already booked a total of 7 weeks in Wengen for this coming season so if I'm out there when you are let me know and I'll give advice on ski runs etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, Forgive me for this before I start! Very Happy

I have this idea that the snow in Wegen Grindelwald is very poor! I think I think this because when I worked in Zurich in the early 80's the guys I worked with use to go skiing on their days off and never went to Wengen 'cos 'the snow is not good'.

What has changed over the last 20+ years Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, not much,it still is poor..... Murren on the other hand ihas a much better snow record....( D G Orf, Laughing )

CP, If you thinking of doing a weekend in the Junfrau Region best to stick to the highest resort,Murren. Better snow and excellent views but a smaller ski area of 53 kilometres.

Roger C, I would suggest Wengen or Murren but due to the dates i would stick to Murren

D G Orf, i'm waiting snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, well for starters Wengen now has snow cannons, however in all honesty the snow in Wengen is as good or bad as anywhere else, all resorts can suffer with poor snow in the same way that they can benefit from great snow, they can even suffer with too much snow, for some strange reason Grindelwald often seems to do worse than Wengen for snow even though theres very little difference in altitude between the two, Murren almost always does better because it's another thousand feet higher than Wengen, however Wengen has easy access to a larger selection of pistes, if just going for a weekend and wanting some piste skiing I'd choose Wengen at least in part due to the fact that it has a fair number of runs between the trees for bad weather use.

I should point out that Down Hill skiing began as a sport in the Wengen, Murren area if it didn't have the snow the sport would not have been able to start wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roger C, I echo D G Orf, Go to Wengen - brillian place, no normal probs with snow, and lots of ski-ing history thrown in. Murren could be saved for the second weekend away ...... Alternatively you could stay in Lauterbrunnen and ski one day in Wengen and one in Murren. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, good idea with staying in Lauterbrunnen than Wengen. At least from Murren you can ski back down to Lauterbrunnen(weather permitting) instead of getting the train down from Wengen Laughing

boredsurfin, Im sure you are more interested in the skiing and the views than the history. Click on the link below 'My Photo Gallery' to view pictures of Murren in the summer & winter.

The resort is 1650 metres, traffic free and the highest-altitude ski resort in the Bernese Obeland.It also has the most popular excursion destination 'Piz Gloria', the 360 revolving restaurant on the Schilthorn (3000m),location of the James Bond film.

A bit of hisory( snowHead snowHead ) : Sir Arnold Lunn organised at Mürren the first World Championships in Downhill and Slalom Racing. He did the same in 1935, these being the only occasions in history when one country has organised the World Championships of any sport on the territory of another country. It was not until 1936 that Downhill and Slalom Racing were admitted to the Winter Olympic Games.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, "At least from Murren you can ski back down to Lauterbrunnen" - IMHO it's utility skiing. no? I will admit I am making that point based on doing it only 3 times last January, the 1st time the inferno has finished down there in some time AFAIK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, I agree, but way better than sitting on a train for 15 minutes to come back down to Lauterbruunen.

Why would you prefer to wait for 'train' it rather than ski it Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes, true but you can usually ski back to Wengen or Murren so why worry about Lauterbrunnen Laughing
latest report
As David Murdoch alluded to, if you're thinking about Murren, then check the dates of the inferno out!
snow report
The Inferno race is usually the week after the Lauberhorn Race, but I can't find anything to confirm that for 2006
snow conditions
Other resorts to check out are: Adelboden, Meiringen-Hasliberg and the Gstaad region. Bern is also not so far from the Valais so you might consider Portes du Soleil, Verbier, Val d'Aniviers, Zermatt, Saas Fee and Crans Montana
latest report
The inferno will the 63rd, Inferno-Races:18th – 21st January 2006!..

If you are staying in Murren,you must go to the Devils dance the evening before the big downhill race on the 21st .A great atmosphere with the burning of the devil(bonfire),music,bands etc etc...

I have a couple of years on disc ...somewhere
snow report
D G Orf, because easiski suggested staying in Lauterbrunnen. I would never stay in Lauterbrunnen but the scenery there is wonderful but i prefer to jump on my skis and GO wink
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, ahhh, so that's why your hotel is at the top of the schilthorn then wink
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, i knew after posting i would have a response from you Laughing

But its true,where i stay i can ski to and from.

Hmmm,imagine being able to do a nightstop up there watching the sunset and being out to watch the sun rise with a hot chocolate....hmmm

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 19-08-05 14:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
neilswingler, For a weekend, I wouldn't go to the Valais(Wallis) from Bern (Swiss spelling). Train to Interlaken and onwards to the Berner Oberland is so easy and short - no point in going further afield I would have thought. Chris Brookes, You can actually ski from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen if there's enough snow - I've done it! Hairy in the extreme though, as the path is/was too narrow to plough on for some of the way!!!

Lauterbrunnen might not be the best place in the world to stay, but for only a couple of days, easy access to both Wengen and Murren is obviously a bonus.
ski holidays
easiski, i do agree about Lauterbrunnen if staying a couple of days plus you get to see the stunning Staubbach falls.

I know there is a 'path' down to Wengen to Lauterbrunnen but it isn't pisted like the Murren/Lauterbrunnen one and can be quite tricky.
ski holidays
Don't go to Engelberg, it's crap...!!!
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, But in my day there wasn't a piste down from Murren either!!! You must be so spoilt now! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
easiski, we hardly ever use it as its a hassle to get back on the funnicular and then the train to Winteregg.Its only when you want a good blast from the Schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen we do it. Its also have snow cannons on it so they do keep it in good condition.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, When I retire I'll have to come back and try it! Doesn't sound as much fun and making your way through the forest and jumping the terrace walls nearer the bottom though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, have to do the Wengen run down again then, although I think there may be a second route down, you described I think basically following the path down, but the one my father told me about dropped down across small fields and did not I think follow the path, I'll ask a few people when I'm out there this year
latest report
easiski, I isn't the same as i remember it when my instructor took me years ago.
snow report
D G Orf, We started off on fields, then joined the path and then skied the fields of Lauterbrunnen as I recall. We also luged the path on several occasions which was even hairier!! Shocked Shocked

Chris Brookes, It would be fun to try it though. I was about 12 when we did it - so I wouldn't be able to find the route anyway. I don't remember liking the forest bit as much as the fields! However that was more than 40 years ago ..................... Crying or Very sad
latest report
easiski, Its all signed posted now.You turn left at the Winteregg restaurant and follow the train tracks into a huge field and then into the forest for awhile.At the end you go over a bridge (underneath is the funnicular track) and ski into another field and reach the bottom.Take your skis off and walk a minute and you are back at the Lauterbrunnen station.

I have filmed most of it,when i have time i will post 20 seconds of it on 'my photo gallery' so you can get a flavour of it.
snow report
easiski, just edited a small clip for you,nothing special but you can see how wide the track is plus how Wengen looks.Its on my link below called 'Lauterbrunnen run'.
snow report
Chris Brookes, Thanks - looks very official now doesn't it? I think we went under the funicular at some point - I'll ask my dad. Very Happy
snow conditions
I have so much footage of Murren in the summer and winter but every year it looks so different.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Not just Murren though - everywhere, and so many runs are different year by year - depending on wind and so on ...
ski holidays
easiski, i did mean everywhere Laughing
ski holidays
Roger C, we did a long weekend in Grindelwald in February, flying Easyjet from Liverpool to Basle. Was about a 2 1/2 drive from Basle, I would reckon it would be about an hour or so in a hire car.

Check out the Hotel Bel-Air Eden in Grindelwald, it was a great hotel, very reasonable, and right next to the station. We found a shortcut to the railway station (to the top of the ski runs) that was literally 30 yards from the door of the ski locker!!!

Fantastic place, plenty going on in the evening, half the price of France for a pint, and some of the most picturesque skiing in Europe up over the Wengen side of the valley.
latest report
Charlatanefc, I've driven from Bern Airport to Lauterbrunnen and back, I'd allow about an hour maybe just over
snow report
Thanks for all the advice, we have now booked flights to Milan from Heathrow instead as the times/prices of the flybe southampton to to berne service didnt suit...

Still hoping to do some Swiss skiing sometime this winter though!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy