Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans!!! - Season 2011-12

Poster: A snowHead
luigi, also just returned (from Canazei). Didn't know that you were out at the same time Sad
I would echo what you have said about some pistes becoming very hard-packed as the harsh wind lifted the soft stuff off.
We did the Sella Ronda each way and a trip out to the Marmolada was especially memorable with excellent snow at the top.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luigi, Glad you had a good time. Was your flight a Thomas Cook flight with Neilson guests? If so, looks like I need to pray that Innsbruck is open when I go Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon wrote:
luigi, Glad you had a good time. Was your flight a Thomas Cook flight with Neilson guests? If so, looks like I need to pray that Innsbruck is open when I go Shocked

No, it was a Monarch charter with Inghams/Ski Total/Ski Esprit guests, an operational decision to divert was made the night before. On the Sunday morning before I left home Innsbruck was receiving flights and it may have stayed open all day, but the decision had already been made. Not too bad for guests travelling to the Austrian resorts which were mostly west of Innsbruck, but it doubled the distance for those travelling to Italy and with the conditions a 2.5hr transfer became a 6hr slog, but at least we could keep going all the way to the resort. I spoke to someone on the return flight who was in Obergurgl, their transfer took 5hrs due to the coiach having to fit snow chains and fallen trees blocking the road.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone know roughly what time the 18:00 Dolomitistars bus from Venice Marco Polo arrives in Arabba on Saturdays?

Their website doesn't give any timings and we're trying to decide whether it's worth waiting at the airport for with a 16:05 flight arrival time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob T, For some reason the timetable only seems to put times at each stop for the return journey (http://www.dolomitistars.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=228&newlang=eng) but I guess you could infer the transfer time from this. I.e. 3 hours 25 minutes from Arabbe to Venice Marco Polo, so I'd imagine the same applies going the other way.

It's been a few years since I used it but we also caught the 6pm bus. From memory it took about 3 hours as we had to drop off at a couple of small resorts in the Civetta area on the way. On the whole it was a much more pleasant experience than the normal Tour Operator coach transfer, especially as the bus we caught ws only a third full. However back in 2008, the service was relatively unknown, so not sure whether this would be true now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to the Dolomites shortly and thought we'd ski over from Cortina to Corvara one day . On the Alpinforum site one recent poster describes the connecting pistes between Corvara and Amerenterlo as being in a very poor state, with some not able to be pisted. So thinking maybe its not worth it. For anyone who has recently been that way, how bad were they?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pjd, the long blue from Pralongia to Armentarola was indeed closed, no snowmaking on that one and it was very windblown around Pralongia, but the blue from Piz Sorega was in great condition last Wed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great, thanks luigi
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going to Dolomites for first time, staying in Selva - any top tips for lunch spots, on or off the Sella Ronda? Good local food and views important - advice very welcome. Clues to find them (for a first timer) would also be good!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sam12, Welcome to snowHeads, and well done for bumping this thread - plenty of interest in the Dolomiti at present. As to your question, I have never had a bad meal anywhere, but one place springs to mind as special. Try the bacon and eggs at the place at the top of Colfosco.

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ortisei to Alpe di Suisi is a comfy gondola ride. No bone shaker chairs involved in that
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading to Selva tomorrow. Can anyone update on the condition of the Pralongia to Armetarola piste? I understood there was some snow in the region last weekend, but not a great deal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sam12, very much agree with Chris Bish, we have yet to find a "duff" eatery. Particularly liked Fredarola's pizzas (on the right as you start to descend from the Canazei Belvedere in the direction of Arabba) and Friedrich August (on the far left if you were to descend from the Campitello gondola towards Selva).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
we have yet to find a "duff" eatery.

One thing Italians won't put up with is crap food! Dodgy electrics and rusty cars maybe, but even that is mostly in the past! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
idlehands wrote:
Heading to Selva tomorrow. Can anyone update on the condition of the Pralongia to Armetarola piste? I understood there was some snow in the region last weekend, but not a great deal.

Can't imagine it will be any better, it was the lack of artificial base that's done for it so far this season, but you don't need it from Selva if you go up the Col Alt gondola from Corvara, a couple of chairs (Baita Fraida & Ciampai) and skirt along past the Las Vegas restaurant and can pick up the blue (I think it's no.9) to San Cassiano that eventually splits off right to Armentarola, that was all in good nick.
ski holidays
idlehands, the middle of the three pictures up the top of the page was taken at the Las Vegas restaurant. The pistes round there were in superb condition a couple of weeks ago.
latest report
Many thanks for the tips so far, very reassuring. Off next weekend so time to take on any other thoughts or recommendations. Favourite runs for intermediates? Sella Ronda - clockwise or anti-clockwise and what to avoid?
ski holidays
sam12, From Selva, your first challenge will be the Saslong World Cup downhill - you know, the one where Konrad Bartelski came second to record the best ever result by a UK skier. You can do A (the real one) or B which is a red. Neither are all that hard, but it does seem a long way!

At the bottom of A you can pop on the underground train that takes you to a lovely area on the other side of San Christina. I am told that the run down to Ortisei is nice, but not done that one yet. Doubtless the Hidden Valley is on your list.
Most people favour going clockwise round the Sella Ronda. There are a lot of lifts and a flat or two the other way, but both have their charms. If you get time, ski to Canazei, drop down the Pecol gondola and get the bus to Alba. Ski over to Pozza and back. Nice cruising with a "beat the cable-car" challenge as you come down to Alba again. Not difficult as I have done it and I am old, fat and slow.
Belvedere, above Canazei has some nice runs in the sun. Lots to enjoy.

snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish,
Quote:

If you get time, ski to Canazei, drop down the Pecol gondola and get the bus to Alba. Ski over to Pozza and back. Nice cruising with a "beat the cable-car" challenge as you come down to Alba again. Not difficult as I have done it and I am old, fat and slow.

It is incredibly difficult, I did it this year, only a ski god could beat that gondola.!!!! wink
ski holidays
mfamily2, You and I must, then, be well-disguised (in my case) ski gods! The info on the cable car tells you it takes 3 minutes. It is not a very long run. I am not normally brave enough to take on blacks, but do have access to a lot of inertia!

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish thanks for tips. I am definitely NOT a ski god but would love to tackle Saslong. Hidden Valley is on the list and info on past Ronda threads makes it sound very do-able from Selva. First days skiing is a Sunday so may be looking for somewhere quieter like Ortisei.
snow report
Chris Bish, One can dream......
snow conditions
sam12, this coming weekend? if so, watch out for 50+ other snowHeads Wink

Nowhere specific to avoid imho. Everywhere is good. Sella Ronda both ways is useful to know, since it's basically the main way to access different areas. Anticlockwise has 1 flat path, and a flat bit arriving in Selva. Clockwise doesn't. Both ways have a 5min walk in Arabba (unless they built that lift?).

Favourite run is the Black from top of Dantercipies down to Selva (it's not really that black tbh). Or the 10km blue down to Ortisei.
latest report
andy,
Quote:

Both ways have a 5min walk in Arabba (unless they built that lift?).

Noooooooooooooooo
snow report
Hi Andy,

yep this coming one. 50 Plus snowheads sounds scary, or is that the average age ? Laughing

.....just asking in case there are fellow snowheads in my own age group!
snow report
sam12, take a look over here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77487&highlight=
There's 50+ in numbers, all sorts in ages, and only some are scary Toofy Grin
latest report
sam12, be afraid, be very afraid wink
snow report
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
sam12, be afraid, be very afraid wink

Especially if Schuss in Boots is on the loose Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking a bit chilly there Smile

T - 3 sleeps and counting
snow conditions
This is how they keep the pistes so well groomed in the area, click on the link but you will have to be quick before the image changes.

http://www.altabadiaski.info/inc/bild.popup.php?bildname=http://www.dolomitiwebcam.com/belvedere/mega.jpg&breite=1280&hoehe=960&bildtext=Col%20Rodella%202440%20m%20-%20Belvedere%20Ski%20Area%20|%20E%20(Large%20size,%20Sella%20Ronda%20Link)
snow conditions
UFOs..........
snow report
Happy Birthday snowheads - snow today and forecast for the weekend too Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi, has anyone used the free wi-fi that dolomitisuperski have introduced this season?

Just wondered how accessible and good it is in terms of ease of use and signal strength

Apparently it's at all main lift stations and ski pass sales offices. I go out to Arabba next Saturday so would be interested if it can be used at the Burz chair or if it only works at the Portavescovo station.

Thanks
snow conditions
used it in a couple of rifugios, but not at lift stations. plus the resturant on portavescovo has their own free wifi. both connected instantly, with adequate strength etc.

assumed it's something to improve connectivity for their "SkiBeep" app?
ski holidays
andy, Cheers. Yes they've made a big thing about it because it allows for more use of their skibeep smartphone app. I was interested as I think my hotel charges quite a bit for wi-fi
snow report
I tried to connect whilst out and about on the recent SH bash; the signals were fine around all the lift stations and most rifugios.

You have to register and they send you login details via SMS to your mobile phone; the only issue I had was that the drop down list to enter your phone number internation dialling code did not include +44 for UK mobiles?!?

Nick
ski holidays
Finally got round to sticking this years videos on the PC, Christmas and February half term

http://youtube.com/v/ibbx3S4gCnQ&feature=g-upl&context=G200e67eAUAAAAAAAAAA
latest report
Just finished skiing for the week in Arabba. Although it got sunnier and warmer as the week progressed, they managed to keep all the pistes in good shape even low down. Some pistes that had no snow cannon cover were shut.

Last two days have been incredibly warm with soft/slushy conditions even from late morning. However we still had a great time. For those out this weekend then I believe there are colder temps and some snow coming which should provide some relief to the conditions. We had been skiing in and out of hotel at the beginning of the week but today I got stuck on some mole hills on the way back Laughing

Btw, first time in 5 years of coming here that I went to Kronplatz. Great for a change and some really long slopes. It was a bit slushy for us so if conditions improve I would recommend highly.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/3N5p38XhNS8

http://youtube.com/v/vifWH_76O_Q

Very Happy
snow report
We skied in Kronplatz last year when snow conditions in Selva weren't good (late Feb). Conditions there were generally much better, especially at the top, lower runs were slushy though. We also skied in Alpi di Suisi for a few days which had really good conditions as much higher, although the skiing there is generally easy and not very challenging - not that I mind!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy