Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Suggestions - group of 5(ish), mixed abilities (x2)

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for your help on the previous thread.

However it turns out that the novice is indeed a true novice i.e. not been on planks before.

Which will restrict resort choice again. Coz we can leave her (yes, she's a she) in a ski school group for half a day each day. But obviously not the WHOLE day. Especially not if we want her to talk to us again.... Toofy Grin
"Someone" from the remainder of the group will be blatting back to the learner area after lunch each day to spend the afternoon with our novice companion.

I thought of Courchevel, as it has easy links with a wide expanse of more challenging terrain (for the rest of us to speed around on before lunchtime, and for "someone" to nip back down on AT lunchtime...) as well as a nice big green-piste bowl for our novitiate to pootle around on with one of us in the afternoon after her lesson.

Val Thorens and Alp d'Huez are also looking promising for the same reasons.

Any alternative ideas re: suitable resorts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach - good ski schools, and as long as she is reasonable, there's a few blues near the resort which she could do while others do reds and blacks.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Manda, still think you should consider Wengen especially with the flights from Southampton Airport this year, plenty of Blue runs for the less confident/begginers or cruisers and enough reds to keep most intermediate skiers happy, the better skiers could have a day or possibly 2 with the SCGB rep and another with the DHO rep especially if there's good snow and they want to go off piste
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, so it would seem
Apparently a snowhead has praised easySki (not the same as our easiski resident in Alp d'Huez wink )

I've only dealt with ski schools in France, where ESF has a stranglehold and you really do have to hunt down good instructors. Is the position the same with ski schools in Saalbach?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, one day. Not this year tho. There are other tracts of the alpine range that I haven't skiied yet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If the beginner has not been on skis before, can she get up to a snowdome to have some lessons before she goes? It'll make her holiday a lot more enjoyable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne or Les Arcs both have plenty of easy runs, and good ski schools....... The rest of you have plenty of miles to cover!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stick her in ski School for 5 full days with the carrot of 6th day with some of you lot. you can always meet for lunch. Besdies she will make chums in ski school. For me Laroiere is the est place for learners that i have been. Great Ski schools (inc ESf) and good confidence building quiet runs
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peisey/Vallandry. Nursery slopes at altitude so your novice won't feel like they are being lft at the bottom of the mountain while you lot charge around the place, with some nice blues and perhaps gentle reds back to the village for your novice to progress to. Good British ski school as well (New Generation). For the rest of your group you are centrally located in the Les Arcs/La Plagne domain - more skiing than you could cope with in a week, plus lots and lots of choice from cruisy pistes to much more challenging terrain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, Good luck!.. sincerely, I hope your chum gets the bug fast and bad. I am humbly retracting my PDS recommendation on the grounds that you would have to limit your activities (to some extent) to be sociable with your friend and that's not good for anyone.

Which means you'll never get to hear about the extent of my challenge. Which I was very disappointed that you didn't pick up on.

Hey ho.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, I think ADH would be ideal. the links from more advanced ski-ing to the beginners bowl are excellent. You could PM Sarah@ to sort your accommodation out. Very Happy

I'd say here, but the links from harder ski-ing to beginner area are steep black. However beginners can ski at 2,200 and also at the glacier, so once she's turning she should be able to come up and join you, rather than someone going down to ski with her. All the mountain restaurants are accessible to non-skiers, so she could easily join you for lunch and then go back down. The first couple of days would probably be easier at ADH though. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk, Yeah, that big bowl at Peisey/Vallandry is a smashing place to learn and the tree runs down from it (apart from having to be very careful with the 'foret green' zigzaging across) can be a nice and challenging warm up for the steeper and higher bits over the ridge in Arc 1800/2000. It wouldn't be difficult to spend two or three days with the whole party knocking around the same area, lunch drinks etc. keeping in touch and not leaving the newbie feeling left out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, I,m with WTFH on this one- Saalbach!! Re schools- there are, i think, 8 schools to choose from .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda, lots of suggestions, but I think it's worth adding that IMHO any of the three you suggested in the first post will fit the bill well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys.
Les Arcs/la Plagne's not a goer this time as I went there last year. Also, while the Pardiski area is ok and the convenience absolutelybluddywonderful I was underwhelmed by the skiing to be honest. Each to their own, tho.

Cathy yes but despite our best intentions I imagine the twin fates of "not enough time" and "not enough money" will probably intervene....

Frosty the Snowman, do you mean La Rosiere? Had a look at it, but it doesn't look ...er... big enough. In any event, which schools do whole day lessons? I didn't think it was possible!

David Murdoch So do I - more the merrier! Yes I pretty much chucked PDS for that reason too - and also having witnessed pictures of horrendous accomodation styles..... (!) Start your challenge on a different thread & I'll see you there! snowHead
ski holidays
What about a Canadian resort, no lift queues, ski school is almost 1:1 and you can learn a lot in only a few days lessons. I recommend Kimberley, particularly the lodges at Kimberley ridge, www.skiandgolfcanada.com
snow report
Manda, Yes I did mean La Rosiere (big fat fingers). ESF do 6 full days from 150 Euros to 180 depending on what time of year. I' sure Evolution2 would do the same. We used the latter and were well impressed. Met loads of folks who were with ESF and they were similarly impressed.

If you were not impressed with the skiing in Lea Arcs then I couldn't recommend La Rosiere, or infact every other resort I've been to. There is however something about the place in which La Thuille plays a huge part.
Although it is all one lift system the 2 countries are completley different and this combined with snow and hills gives it a wonderful ambience.

If you are into extreme skiing, then its not the place for you.
snow conditions
Manda, I think you are spot on with Courchevel 1850, but it costs, really easy slopes, gondala transport for meetups. Peisey/Vallandry too steep for genuine novices, as is La Tania. What about Avoriaz, Les Gets or Morzine? Alpe d'Huez is great but beginner runs can be slushy and heavy at the bottom of the mountain. Vaujany, although off to one side is really good access to the Alpe d'Huez region andf has good beginner areas high up, although not as extensive as Courchevel.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I'll have to take you off the north face of the Fort, it's just about the steepect off-piste I've ever skied and in fact there's usually an Xtreme ski competion held there most years. It's the bit you see as you ride the chair back up to the Fort from the Col de Petit San Bernardo
snow report
David@traxvax, I'll come providing there is a fully functioning A&E at the bottom, and its on the last day of my holiday. I did not see anywhere (apart from the lovely red down to the drag lift) that could possibly be skied Shocked . My point was that if Manda found Les Arcs uninspiring then LR wasnt going to float her boat. I loved Les Arcs.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, North face of the fort - now that is scary Skullie - looked like an avalanche waiting to happen when we were there in February. You would be due a good lunch at the Rascard after skiing it, for sure Very Happy

CP
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I agree I believe Les Arcs has the best pistes of any of the French mega ski stations.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy