Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well Fitted Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All and especially The Bootfitters,
Just a question that may seem silly to some but to others, if they are being honest to themselves,should make perfect sense.

How does one know,if they don't have access to a reputable boot fitter,whether the boot they have been sold and fitted with is "a good fit" given factors like - shop temperature v alpine temperature,flex rating,last size/width etc.

I'm sure there must be loads of us going around with nagging doubts as to whether "the boot fits", or, as it's obviously not falling off my foot, is it a "good fit".

Are there any "self tests" that the average punter going in for a pair in a high street chain (as I'm sure most punters do) can do to narrow down the chances of an expensive,painful and possibly dangerous mistake.

Not looking for anyone to part with any trade secrets but I'm sure any tips would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quick test is to remove the liners, place your foot inside the boot so your toes just brush the front and then see how big the gap is between your heel and the back of the boot (good to have someone to help do this, by shining a torch down the back). AIUI a 15mm gap is a good performance fit, 10mm is a very tight race fit and anything over 25mm is too big. But don't take my word on the exact size of gap; CEM or SZK will give authoritative advice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMO Snowdome stores tend to have the best fitters on average due to selling boots all year round but ask for the most experienced person, or at least, for the most experienced person to double check everything.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
briand6868, Profeet has the main man IMO
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ Some of the fitters at the EB snowdome branches certainly seem to get positive feedback but not all, there's a very good one at the EB in Aviemore too who a number of locals rate. Probably good for a similar reason to those at the domes (although there the skiing isn't all year round for obvious reasons).

However Ireland is a bit far form either the domes or Aviemore (Stirling and Bicester too I guess).

briand6868, why don't you just buy your boots in resort when you're away? You can get recommendations of where to go in specific resorts on here if you ask.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Thanks just the info thats needed.

jammiefreerider, Cynic, Not looking for fitter recommendations CEM is the man !!!! Just trying to point the people who may be first timers/no access to the likes of CEM etc/ and have very little choice but go to the nearest S n R etc in the right direction. When a chain shop "fitter" says "hows that for you" the punter has a vague idea of what questions to ask.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
briand6868, SORRY I WON'T BOTHER TO READ ANY OF YOUR POSTS AGAIN

Quote:
Fattes13, briand6868; Will feel the back of my hand when Is ee him for shouting at you all

Make sure yer hand is encased in something solid please Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-11-11 14:51; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry folks but rob@rar, is the only one getting the question and coming up with a few hints for the boot buying public.

I HAVE BOOTS - REALLY GOOD,WELL FITTING ONES - NOT LOOKING FOR A BOOTFITTER - PLEASE READ THE POST - THANKS.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
briand6868; Will feel the back of my hand when Is ee him for shouting at you all! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Is your foot excesivley moving around in the boot - They dont fit

Do your boots cause you the kind of pain that can end a days skiing - They dont fit

Do you end the day with Blister on your feet - They dont fit

Are there pressure points that cause discomfrot in your boots - See a boot fitter.

Did you have your boots fitted at GO (Code for a shop in Dublin) - Get someone else to look at them as they dont fit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fattes13, Yes Fattes13 the penny has dropped- just the kind of info Joe or Josephine Punter needs to be armed with when they trot into a store the week before their second ski week. THANKS....

P.S. See you later Big Boy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
briand6868, You know that feeling, the one in your stomach, that tells you when you are hungry? Then YOU decide it's time to eat.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Twisted Evil

Sometimes its the simple explanations Bravo!!!

Once had a client asked if their boots where badly fitted I asked wh rolling eyes y she thought they were "Because they cut my feet"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
briand6868, would have been cool if you'd made it clear in the original post why you were asking! rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
briand6868, You know that feeling, the one in your stomach, that tells you when you are hungry? Then YOU decide it's time to eat.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing brilliant that sums it up perfectly
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whilst buying your first pair of boots, buy your second pair at the same time but 1-2 sizes smaller.... After 3 days.... throw the first pair away!
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, CEM, gatecrasher, Nice one lads - keeping it simple - the punter classes will hopefully read this and feel a little bit better about crossing the minefield that can be boot-fitting.

roga,
Quote:

Are there any "self tests" that the average punter going in for a pair in a high street chain (as I'm sure most punters do) can do to narrow down the chances of an expensive,painful and possibly dangerous mistake.

Boredsurfing, Boring.
Very Happy
snow report
^ Ah sorry had my telepathic circuits switched off so didn't realise that meant you weren't an "average punter"...
briand6868 wrote:
Sorry folks but rob@rar, is the only one getting the question and coming up with a few hints for the boot buying public.

I HAVE BOOTS - REALLY GOOD,WELL FITTING ONES - NOT LOOKING FOR A BOOTFITTER - PLEASE READ THE POST - THANKS.

Don't shout, chill! Razz
ski holidays
roga, Chillin' Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
roga, No briand6868, he is an average punter Laughing Laughing and he shall feel the back of my hand later for shouting at all you nice snowHead
ski holidays
briand6868, Very Happy

Fattes13, Laughing

Anyway I'm well chilled now, the snow has started to fall in Scotland and things are turning white so all is right with the world once again and hopefully the same will follow for the Alps snowHead
snow report
Afternoon chap - apologies for butting in on the conversation - as a bootfitter (recently BSBA certificated & trained by Hamish from Profeet & having about 8 years experience anyway ...) I would also like to point out that there are a HUGE number of well established alternatives to 'High Street Chains' , without necessarily going down the very very niche & exclusive route ... many established independant retailers are operate with dedication and integrity and are willing to take the time to carry out an expert bootfitting,(and should insist on doing so!) included in the retail price of the boot - many with an aftersales service. See the BSBA (British Ski Bootfitters Association) website ....why would you resort to picking up a boot from a high st chain & trying a 'best guess' approach when you can get it fitted properly at no additional cost ??
Very Happy
ski holidays
Profeet.
snow report
tiggerific, who are, go on introduce yourself, always good to have another boot fitter on the site
snow report
Morning all - sorry forgot to introduce myself - Don't do forums very often as I usually c*ck up the etiquette and normally too busy - also , some of these threads can sometimes get pretty venenous & i'm a bit of a girl! (well, 100% actually)
I am one of the junior bootfitters at The Alpine Room in Essex (yep, with at least 8 years hands-on experience, not to mention that i have been effectively 'work shadowing' Yoda since I was about 15) . I think between our 5 full & part-time bootfitters we can tally about 100 years of experience. We have recently undertaken the BSBA training in order to achieve recognition and accrediation, and to hone our understanding of bio-mechanics...
Having re-read the thread I can now understand what brian6868 really wanted to know & why, but it still worries me that peeps might be somehow thinking they are better off walking into decathalon & going 'that'll do' rather than trusting on the advice of a professional? (TBH we have seen male customers who have unwittingly been sold womens boots as men's boots in 'sports warehouse' stores). After all, the industry spends shed loads on R & D to develop boots & skis to be more responsive, have features to adjust to the particular foibles of your own body, and skiing ability/ style/ terrain etc etc - personally I think Mr or Mrs Average Punter is doing themselves a diservice if they don't get it looked at properly.

Maybe it's this: If I go into Curry's or PC World on a Saturday I know exactly what sort of service I'm gonna get - 20 year old monkey on commission who cannot shut up about extended warranties & peripherals - I tell him to shut up and take what I want to the counter ... perhaps the same applies in some of the chain snowsports outlets sometimes (not mudslinging, just putting it out there)... but do you really think that's the service you're gonna get in an established independant family business???

Just some nuggets to think about ... I am heartened that customers are now phoning up and asking the right questions about boot-fitting - long may it reign! (and hopefully snow too!) Smile
snow conditions
tiggerific, Dont worry briand6868, spends enough time asking questions! Welcome to snowHead Always nice to have more experts around to Join CEM, and the Zookeeper in bootfitting advice.
ski holidays
I think the lure of the big shop chains and boots is in the advertised reductions. Boots are not cheap, and when you see alluring deals in store and on-line offering sometimes, what appears to be, huge discounts I think it's easy to be seduced. I must admit to looking longingly at these deals, but it is what I read on here that makes me hold back from buying online and also from buying from the big chain stores and/or at ski shows (though the number of folks fitting boots at ski shows always amazes me).

In time I will doubtless bite the bullet and get new boots and I have no idea where I will get them from. I might well go back to Skee Tex (where I am known - apparently they are quite experienced) or maybe try The Alpine Room tiggerific's, place. Bicester is too far away and I can't see myself going into London for boots so I guess I will give my custom to a local independant store.

However, I also 'get' the OP's question. I assume that you can't purely look at the fitting of a set of ski boots from the outside like a set of clarks shoes width and length measured and fitted to a child by feeling the foot through the shoe so what do you need to know to say to help the bootfitter help you. Someone once said to me 'like a firm handshake all around the foot', but I guess you also have to accept that until the lining packs down they should be a little too snug when brand new - it does seem a shifting goal. Though I guess the bootfitters do know what to ask. I once asked CEM how he asks kids about their boots and he told me that he watches their fists - apparently the tighter they bunch them the tighter is the boot!

I guess what someone wants to come up with is (A) a frame work that can be adjusted to fit your foot, and then used to product a ridgid form (perhaps a series of interlocked adjustable sticks) and then introduced into the closest boot shell which might then be fitted around it. Or (B) a transparent boot with a internal thin lining fitted with a coloured gel which would be squished away when the boot was too tight in places that could be seen by the client and the bootfitter. Or (C) maybe a boot X-ray machine!!. Until then it does seem a very subjective process - perhaps this is why those in the know choose experienced bootfitters rather than chain stores.
snow report
Quote:

the punter classes

Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy