Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A boring question about ski poles

Poster: A snowHead
My wife wants to get me a new set of ski poles to go with the new Preachers for xmas
I have be looking at Scott Voodoo and the Black Diamond poles
The Black Diamonds are flicklock adjustment is that good or bad never use adjustable poles before.
Or should I be looking at some others poles.
I will just say I’m not into touring I only do lift access stuff Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glen Charman, adjustable certainly more suited to touring (shorten for the up, lengthen to normal for the back down, one short & one long for traversing (dont mix em up Shocked ), collapse entirely for climbing - although some dont go all that short really). All that said, adjustable can be fine for general use and are quite handy to shorten up for travelling (and even for use as hiking poles, again short up long down, though spring mounted "proper" hiking poles would be better to protect them knees (for those who like to hike with poles).
Some of the adjustable ones can be joined together to make a makeshift avvy probe - though this is a bit gimmicky as you should really have a proper probe if you're ever going to be in a situation to need a probe at all.

in short, it really doesnt matter too much, size most important, weight i would say next, then durability (some of the cheaper ones can bend a bit too easily). I use flicklocks all the time now as do a bit of touring, but use them for everything else too as its just easier to have a single set flung in the boot of the car.

I wouldnt overthink it though - there's enough crap to organise for Chrimbo!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have adjustable for touring and inherited some Komperdell composites which have been awesome, but if I was shelling out my hard-earned I'd go cheap and cheerful to be honest. Have snapped countless shafts (and even busted grips - 4frnt you know who you are and your warranty sucks) and unless you really like the springy rebound of carbon fibre I'd save your money and spend it somewhere else.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The BD flicklock poles are ace, and completely bombproof - but also absolutely pointless if you don't tour. Don't over think this, just get the cheapest that feels reasonably strong, it doesn't make that much difference.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most people who go flicklocks don't go back and they do allow you to tinker to get to your ideal pole length (lots of people ski with poles too long). Shorten your poles 5cm and improve your mogul skiing 10%.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Glen Charman, not so boring a thread........... I'm in the same boat with new Preachers and needing new poles. If flicklock is the same as fliplock then I'll be investing in some BD fliplocks.

Is there any benefit in getting the carbon composite poles over the standard fliplock poles ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I leurve my BD fliplocks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I mean flicklocks. I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, strange how google works..... when I search flicklocks I get Kooky/Scarpa relevant links Shocked When I search fliplocks I get S&R or EB related links Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decathlon sell pretty good poles very cheap aswell look and feel really good,strong and come with two types of. Baskets.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Decathlon sell pretty good poles very cheap aswell look and feel really good,strong and come with two types of. Baskets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN84058
Cheapest place I have found for the BDs
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You want a pair of these you do.. http://www.snowandrock.com/leki-hot-shot-s/ski-poles/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/20876

Myself and the O/H have a pair each of the previous versions. Not cheap but oooh so handy on cold days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt, ta for the link. BD Expedition ordered.

ansta1, my skiing is bad enough when sober, nice idea though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snakeskin Si,
Quote:

when I search flicklocks I get Kooky/Scarpa relevant links
I'm making a big effort not to search that. rolling eyes
snow conditions
I bought some BD Traverse poles after my last set of normal poles went mysteriously missing. They're great and being able to adjust the height is awesome. The only downside is that I'm now starting to look like a brand whore but then it's BDs fault for making such bomber kit.
latest report
Quote:

The only downside is that I'm now starting to look like a brand whore but then it's BDs fault for making such bomber kit.

Ha I know that feeling!
latest report
Just had my BD Traverses delivered, look to be a great bit of kit and finally some poles that won't be a bit too big or a bit too small!
latest report
I use BD flicklock as my everyday poles. I love them but I would not recommend them to anyone who does not benefit from the ability to change their lengths: the swing weight is no where near as smooth as a traditional pole.
latest report
Thanks for all the replies as I said above there a xmas present from the wife. I going to go for the BD carbon probe pole they look great Very Happy

fatbob, I’ll try Shorten my poles 5cm to see if it help my mogul skiing thanks for the tip Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy