Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing skis - thoughts and advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
I took the plunge earlier this year and bought my own skis, after several years of hiring, and now I have a question with regards to safe packing.

I've got a Salomon bag, padded round the binding area. The shoulder strap, when tension is applied to it, compresses the skis within the bag. I intend on padding it out further with salopettes/fleeces, but wondered if anyone has a similar bag - what do you do about the strap??

Unlike the husband's board bag, the strap isn't detachabale, and I'm worried it'll get caught somewhere on its journey through the airport bagage system and either damage the bag and/or my lovely new skis!

Any suggestions? Is there anything anyone has used before to essentially strap the strap (!) around the bag so it doesn't get caught somewhere? I thought of velco strips??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jocrad wrote:
essentially strap the strap (!) around the bag
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skis go through oversize baggage, which is also where my hold-all gets always sent 'cos it has so many loose straps - pretty sure it takes a different route to the airport, you don't need to worry about it. Skis are tough anyway, wouldn't be much good on a mountain if they could be damaged by a little conveyor belt.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing a bit of gaffa tape won't fix as you drop the bag off at oversize if you're that worried.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Skis are tough anyway, wouldn't be much good on a mountain if they could be damaged by a little conveyor belt.

After getting my poles bend in the soft bag on a flight to Canada I purchased a hard plastic ski tube for 2 pairs of skis. It is brilliant and also serves as a passible roof box. The carrying staps are a similar problem on the roof of the car. I wrap a bungee around the bag to keep everythng tight.

John
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I intend on padding it out further with salopettes/fleeces

I wouldn't. The ski edges and grease in the bindings can damage nice ski clothes. Just chuck the skis in, tie up any loose bits as best you can and drop it at the outsize baggage belt. As clarky999, says your skis can take a bit of abuse and he bag is padded anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah, +1................only time I'm worried is when they dont turn up, otherwise they take the hammer and are OK
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cut the strap off.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stick everything I possibly can in the ski bag, because most of the time it doesn't get weighed (never, in my experience) but also because it pads the skis and poles from damage - I wrap the bindings with a couple of plastic bags, then put an old sock or two over either end of the ski, then put my trousers over them, then anything else that fits gets chucked in - the skis are strapped together to stop them shifting about but also to stop them from damaging the stuff packing them out. More than anything I try and protect them from the impact of being thrown, end over end, by careless baggage handlers, and to avoid anything like a hard suitcase from smashing into an edge or something.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
surround skis and ploes in bubble wrap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're really concerned about your skis, wrap them in bubble wrap with cardboard over the ends.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just stuff the skis and everying else apart from my helmet in a suitably sized board bag, as Monium says a carrier bag or two round the bindings.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alans deep bath wrote:
Cut the strap off.

And carry it how.....?? Happy

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone, I was planning on a bin liner around the skis before I put anythinhg else in, to avoid ruining anything - you've got to make use of the extra weight allowance, you've paid enough for it!!

Although I might not be going anywhere if Thomas Cook take a nosedive Sad Think positive....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, I tend to chuck as much of my ski kit in my ski bag as poss (that way I can get everything else in hand luggage). Can't remember any of my stuff getting damaged, but then most of my kit is a few seasons old now, so don't really notice dirt and stains anymore lol.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jocrad, the handle? Wink
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
sah, I tend to chuck as much of my ski kit in my ski bag as poss (that way I can get everything else in hand luggage). Can't remember any of my stuff getting damaged, but then most of my kit is a few seasons old now, so don't really notice dirt and stains anymore lol.

I used to do that. Especially at the end of a trip... then I noticed a nasty cut in my goretex trousers that I'm 90% certain came from a ski edge in the bag - maybe the bag banged against a suitcase or something like that and the material got caught in the cross fire. Also, looking at the state of my ski bag there are a lot of cuts and grazes on there, and I really don't want ski wear as the buffer zone in there.

I do remember one airline (Canadian I think) getting a bit ars*y about me putting cloths in there, apparently only skis & poles were allowed in a ski bag (I think I got away with a shovel handle too). I'm not that worried about that factor, I've only ever had it checked on that one occasion; I suspect most other airlines and other check in staff do not really care and I'm in no hurry to fly with Canadian again.

All that said, if it means you have just a ski bag and hand luggage then it's worth doing. Do you carry boots as hand luggage then? I worry about some officious security person telling me that they are a weapon or some cr@p like that so I check my boots in (in a bag inside my main luggage).
ski holidays
I have a really big double ski bag lol, so I can get my boots in there with my skis (tend to only travel with one pair as I leave the others in IBK). Usually have shovel,probe, poles and snow saw in there too.
snow conditions
gaffer tape for the handle if you must, i have a similar bag and don't bother to do anything just hope for the best.

For my ski's I use these http://www.staples.co.uk/mailing-packaging-supplies/foam-protection/profile-channels-25-35mm-x-1m?r=bf available in two sizes from Staples, if you go to the shop you can but them individually, protects the edges keeps them sharp and reduces the chance of dents, have you seen the handling of ski's!
snow report
Quote:

have you seen the handling of ski's!

Seriously, they're designed to be hooned down a bloody big mountain of snow, ice, rock and wood, absorbing large forces and stresses from carving and landing drops/jumps. If being dropped/thrown on a pile of bags damaged them, they wouldn't be much good for normal use would they?
ski holidays
Put skis in bag with ski ties top and bottom.

Fill bag with clothes on way out and self propelled dirty unwear on return,

Chuck at oversize lugagge belt.

Recover at other end.

Simples.

What do you seriously think luggage handling can do to skis?
snow conditions
I send mine by Ski2U collected and brought back to home, 2 pairs loads of kit magic. (I do not need to declare a financial interest)
snow report
Few years back missus had first 20 cm from tips of her atomics in soft ski bag chopped off by baggage handlers en route from London to Geneva. Never found out how they did it, but she thinks they slammed a set of the metal shutters on them. The kind that some places have at the luggage trailer loading/unloading area. Even the insurance company was gobsmacked by the damage. She bought us a hard plastic sporttube after that. Do exactly what they are meant to, but can be a pain to lug through airports.
latest report
Alans deep bath wrote:
jocrad, the handle? Wink

Hmmm, that's the whole point of the post - there is one strap on the bag. When you pick it up to carry, the strap kind of tightens around and compresses the skis. So if I chop it off....maybe I could juggle it instead?!?!
snow conditions
I've lined my ski bag with an old yoga matt, probably does very little other than a placebo effect for me lol have noticed that it makes getting the skis in and out easier as it lends the bag a little more shape.
ski holidays
under a new name, I'm just a bit concerned the strap will wrap itself around the bowels of Manchester airport's baggage system and rip itself off, seen a few lone luggage straps going round on carousels before now!! I know my gear should be okay if I pad the bag out.
latest report
sd2010, There is no way that a skitube is harder than skis.

No way.

Weird accident tho!
latest report
I use foam insulation, the kind used to insulate water pipes. You can pick it up cheaply at any DIY store and it works well although its a little fussy to cut and fit. I've got a padded bag but still pad my bag after an unhappy experience on a Birmingham to Munich flight with Lufthansa three years ago. I was lucky to the extent that the only damage was a small tear to the bag but my sister in law ended up with a bag ripped from top to bottom along the zip and a binding skewed almost 90 degrees.
snow conditions
I normally put 3 or 4 pairs (adult/child) in a large snowboard bag. Never had any damage or complaints so far. Skis are tough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wrap skis in a couple of old towels (to protect edges to/from other stuff) and then pad with clothing EXCEPT expensive layers. Jeans;socks; undies etc.

Expensive layers go in other baggage....
ski holidays
wreck skis on last run pack, claim on insurance, nice new pair of skis for next time, sorry that must have been mr devious.
snow conditions
Cynic, One flaw: most (all?) insurance policies won't cover damage to skis whilst in use.
snow conditions
jocrad,

Alans deep bath, His advice to cut the strap off was spot on unless it's removable.

Better than even money your strap will get caught in the luggage belt machinery which will potentially damage/tear your bag open and may even delay your skis from being shipped or prevent shipping completely. If you don't believe me, call up one of the major full service airlines and speak to the baggage reclaim guys: Your later posted concern is reality, which is why they ask you to remove any straps.

The bubble wrap would be a good idea around the bindings, better still if they are adjustable/racked bindings to remove them and pack in bubble wrap too -they'll be much less vulnerable which is the way you need it.

Alternatively I can recommend the hard skitubes -they really do hold and protect the skis (straps removed) but can be a pain to cart around especially if it's the big 3 pair one, and they aren't very good for transporting anything else apart from skis or poles.

Oh and they've weighed my ski's the last three times and the excess if any will be painful as unless it's very close, you will be charged on most airlines. I cannot say if that applies to Lufthansa or Swiss though - Virtually guaranteed that Thos Cook will likley apply the rules with precision though as revenue for them will be tight.

If you do decide to risk your bag etc with straps, please let us know later on this thread how you get on! Twisted Evil
snow report
jocrad, Please just buy another bag.
ski holidays
Jivebaby, my OP being the strap isn't removable, and as it's the only handle/strap that's on there, I'm kind of stuck without it!! It also compresses the skis within the bag...

Cynic, no thanks cynic, stick with the one I've got thanks, thought my OP was a perfectly reasonable ask for assistance as to what other users might have done in the same situation
ski holidays
If it's that much of a deal (it isn't), just duck tape it down before putting it in oversize baggage.
ski holidays
jocrad, definitely juggle it. And post pics.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
sd2010, There is no way that a skitube is harder than skis.

No way.

Weird accident tho!

Yeah, but they are a lot harder than a soft bag and I've never known of a pair of skis actually being damaged while in a sport-tube. Maybe somebody else has?
But with a soft bag and bubble wrap on the tips, tails and bindings (probably the most vulnerable area) I don't see a problem. I wouldn't wrap freshly sharpened ski edges with clothing that's for sure.
ski holidays
Alans deep bath wrote:
jocrad, definitely juggle it. And post pics.

I'll give it a go!!!!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
What do you seriously think luggage handling can do to skis?

I've seen interesting damage done to other sports equipment, including a bag that appeared to have been dragged across tarmac behind a luggage carrying vehicle of some kind, cos wearing away that much hard wearing fabric between checkin and reclaim would have been pretty difficult to do any other way.

Its not unreasonable to assume that if there is some easy means for the handlers to damage your stuff, then one day they will discover it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy