Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tj Baldwin Blog

Poster: A snowHead
As there has been so much support on here for me its about time I showed my face to let people know what I am up to. I will try to get on here weekly and do proper updates/blogs but I will also be texting in short messages with updates on how races and training sessions go.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TJBaldwin, Sounds good snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TJBaldwin, a warm welcome to SnowHeads snowHead Good idea and all the very best for the season!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TJBaldwin,good luck for lake Louise snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome! Looking forward to reading your updates
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt wrote:
Welcome! Looking forward to reading your updates

+ 1 snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fair play mate...looking forward to 'em. Hope the season goes well for you and you get the financing you require.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all Snowheads.

As I am new to the site I thought I would post a little bit about myself and then a blog as to what I am up to at the moment.

Firstly though, I would like to say a huge thanks to all the support on here for me and even bigger thanks for the recent funding I have received. Without this I would have really struggled to afford racing all season but now I can concentrate more on the actual racing and worry less about trying to secure funding.

So, about me. I’m TJ Baldwin, I was born on the 20th August 1990 and I am a member of the British Alpine Ski Team.
I am one of GB’s most talented and promising ski racers. My dream is to race for Team GB in World cup events and to compete at Olympics games, with the hope of emulating a real inspiration of mine, Alain Baxter.
At the moment I am the British Champion in Downhill, Super G, Super Combined & Overall Combined. I am also GB’s No1 in GS, Super Combined and No2 in Downhill.
My world rankings put me inside the top 200 in 3 events - GS, Downhill and Super Combined.

I learnt to ski when I was just 6 at the Norfolk Ski Club dry slope and was instantly hooked. I loved it from the get go! I didn’t love turning all that much to start with though, it was the speed and excitement of straight lining it from top to bottom like a kamikaze that kept me coming back for more! After a couple of years I started racing slalom on the dry slope circuit, firstly just regional and then nationally. I had a great time racing on the circuit and was lucky enough to have a lot of success, winning age group titles including British and European championships.
It wasn’t until I was 10 though that I had my first taste of skiing on real snow – there aren’t too many mountains in sunny Norfolk. From that moment on all I dreamed about was becoming a world class skier.

When I was 11 I spent most of the season at The British Ski Academy in Les Houches, improving from being in the middle of the pack to winning 2 English championships and being runner-up in the British Champs. I was also selected for the British Children’s team.
Over the next 4 years I spent every winter at the BSA and became GB’s No1 Children’s skier, winning virtually every British age group title along the way.

After doing my GCSE’s I decided that I wanted to commit 100% to my skiing, so I put my education on hold and started a full time training/racing programme with the British Development team on the FIS circuit. After just 1 year on the development team I was selected for the British Junior Team.
My 5 years in juniors were very successful. I consistently rose up the World rankings year on year ending my time as a junior, World ranked 11th, 22nd and 33rd in Super Combined, Super G and Downhill respectively.
I represented Great Britain at the 2007 European Youth Winter Olympics and the 2008, 2009 and 2010 World Junior Championships. My best results were 24th in the Super G in 2009 and 18th in the Downhill in 2010. I started competing in Europa Cup races in 2008 and Nor-Am/SAC races in 2009.
Over these 5 years I also won virtually every British junior title which included 3 clean sweeps. I was ranked No1 in all 5 disciplines and broke into the top 200 in the World in both Super G & Super Combined.
I narrowly missed out on selection to the 2010 Winter Olympics despite still being a Junior.

Last year I moved up to the senior age group and again competed on the Europa Cup circuit as well as around 50 other FIS/Nor-Am races. I also got my first taste of competing on the big world stage at the World Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen where I placed 38th in downhill, which was the best result of any British athlete competing there. I dramatically improved my World ranking in GS by over 300 places to break inside the top 200 in the world, which also made GB’s No1. I maintained my world rankings in the speed events and Super combined ending the season by winning British titles in 4 of the 6 events contested at the National Champs.

After a hard and gruelling summer of fitness and some excellent summer ski training in Chile and Pitztal, I am feeling confident and ready for the first world cups of the season in Lake Louise. We have a new coach this season, Craig Branch (ex WC DH & SG racer) who has come into the team, freshened things up and is helping me to ski better than ever.

Now you know a bit about me, here is what I am up to.

So I have just arrived in Banff for a couple of days training and recovery from jet lag before the world cup starts in Lake Louise. Before I left, me and Dougie Crawford had been in Pitztal doing our final preparations for the race season. We had some perfect conditions for some awesome speed training and both did some really good skiing.

As there is only one spot on the WC races for DH and SG we had to do some time trials to figure out who will get the start spot. For DH it’s easy because of the training runs…whoever is fastest gets the race spot, but for SG we needed to do some time trials.
We decided that the fairest way would be to have 3 runs, fastest 2 runs out of the 3 wins. I was pretty nervous going into the day as we had both been very close to each other in training in the days and weeks before, so it could have gone either way. Lucky for me, it went my way. I had a solid first run which set me up nicely to let everything hang out and give it my all on the second run. It paid off, I had the fastest run of the day and even with a DNF on the 3rd run, it was enough to get me the start spot. Chuffed!! Although, it did feel like a hollow victory, obviously I am over the moon and its fantastic news for me but on the other hand it would be great if we could both race and we didn’t have to do time trials because it could have so very easily gone the other way. All I have to do now is rip in the race and score some world cup points so me and Dougie can both race the Beaver creek SG!

I will keep you posted on how it all goes!

Tj

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 20-11-11 21:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
good call TJ!! and welcome of course ! wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TJBaldwin,

Welcome to snowHead & good luck for the season I look forward reading your reports.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TJBaldwin, welcome to snowHead . Huge luck for the season, looking forward to seeing you on Eurosport. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TJ, well done on getting the spot! It may feel like a hollow victory but someone has to win. Good thing it was you Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi TJ

Welcome to Snowheads and good luck at LL.

We were at Nakiska today and saw the Italians, French women, Swiss men and women and the germans out there training for Winterstart. Wondered where the brits were as i thought they usually train there.

We'll be at Winterstart on Saturday to cheer you guys on. The good news is its due to get warmer as yesterday was pretty cold.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TJ - Good luck in the Downhill training runs over the next 3 days. Leave everything on the hill and remember what Wolfy always told you - Fullgas! Hope you get the start.
Enjoy the SG on Sunday too. Will be watching Eurosport!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TJBaldwin, great to have your updates on the forum, even just the odd message texted in from time to time. Makes it much easier to support a ski racer if you feel there's a bit of a connection through a website or a forum.

Good luck for Lake Louise!
snow conditions
Ditto that "Good Luck".....and welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Hope the season goes well for you plus look forward to the updates.
snow conditions
So very close in the britpack for the DH. 7 hundreths difference between the pair.

Who gets to race on Saturday? The fastest time recorded or the best of a sum of the two training runs?
ski holidays
Great day up at Lake Louise, conditions where pretty good, would have liked the snow to have been a bit firmer but still considering the amount of fresh snow we got yesterday the course team did a great job getting it ready in time! Had a pretty solid run, after watching video I know where I lost the time to the big guns and where not to make the same mistakes again (nearly straddling a gate coming into "gun barrel" section at 120/130kph)!

gryphea, Yes was very close between me and Doug, we are deciding who will get the start spot after the training run tomorrow and will take everything into consideration. Fastest times over the 2 days, fastest splits and the best skiing. At the end of the day we want the fastest guy racing and who will hopefully score some WC points!

Forecast for 5-8cm of snow over night, lets hope its wrong and we get clear skies tonight and a blue bird day tomorrow ready for some high speed action!!!
latest report
Good luck lad... Just remember there will be plenty of people cheering you on over here, if you get a start.

I got hooked on Skiing watching the Bell lads racing. Suprising how many people you can effect, just from a TV screen. Seeing Brits against all the top dogs doing well, can be a real inspireation.

Great attitude between you and Doug as to who is racing...that must be hard. Let hope you both get starts over the season.

Onwards and upwards...
snow conditions
Good luck TJ....KEEP THAT FLAG FLYING!!!!!!!
snow report
So much for a clear night and a blue bird day...sadly that hasn't happened! Light snow fall and low cloud over the race hill! Let's hope it clears up soon! (via SMS)
ski holidays
TJ - could you blog on your own website and link to facebook/twitter for a wider audience? Get some photos and videos in there Jon Olsson/Ted Ligety style? Good luck!
ski holidays
Keep going TJ... Looking at the times you're not far out the top 50. Good luck lad.

Here are the results from the 2nd practice run. Is this race going to be all about manufacturer and wax over skier? Salomon locked on it seems.

http://www.skiracing.com/?q=node/11007

It's quiet eerie in poor conditions...

http://youtube.com/v/uuf45_YmcKU

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 25-11-11 17:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
TJBaldwin wrote:
Forecast for 5-8cm of snow over night, lets hope its wrong

You must be the only Snowhead hoping it doesn't snow wink

Good luck!
snow report
TJBaldwin, good luck to you both , top 50 is within your reach snowHead
latest report
Can´t see TJ on todays start list Puzzled Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
kooky, Only 1 GB racer allowed by FIS rules. Dougie Crawford was given the start in the DH today as TJ and him were so close in the training runs. If TJ had have been quicker by a bigger margin then it would have been different.
TJ definitely starting the Super G tomorrow though.
Good luck to them both. It's going to be pretty windy there - up to 60KPH at the top.
latest report
Plugboy, interesting because TJ was faster on both runs (uncannily close though) and I thought they were duking it out for the slot, best man wins and all that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back from LL today. Great Day.

Met both the brit boys. Dougie very disppointed with his run, understandably so- its quite lot of unusual pressure for these two knowing they neeed to do well to effectively get a start for the other. Still its early days. Both signed my daughter's helmet and seemed very pleasant- hopefully well see them back at LL next year! Liked the white jackets.

Good luck to TJ for tomorrow and to both for Beaver Creek. Also great to hear they are training at our local hill, nakiska for a few days after that. Think its a great training hill, nothing else there and world class training facilities.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I think the conditions and light should be better.

Daughter also got Jan Hudecs and Didier Cuche's helmet signatures. She didn't seem too bothered until her brother was impressed!
snow report
Wondered what happended in the SG at LL with TJ. Could only 'watch' it on live timing and have been hoping he didn't crash?
snow conditions
gryphea, diddnt crash, missed a gate 1/2 way down and had to ski out Crying or Very sad better luck at beaver creek snowHead
snow report
SG course at LL was really poor by the time the top 30 finished, so TJ at 66 can not have had it easy. Great skiing by Svindal in SG and Cuche both days (on Head skis, though the Salomon skiers did seem to be going well). Hope it goes well in Vail.
ski holidays
Beaver Creek DH today! Bib 66, time to rock and roll. Yeah buddy!!! (via SMS)
snow conditions
TJBaldwin, have a fast race!
snow report
YEEEEAAH BUDDY!! Ain't nothin' to it but to do it.

Ronnie Coleman aside, good luck.
snow report
TJBaldwin, have a fast one Cool
ski holidays
So the north america world cup tour is over and wow, what a couple of weeks! Lake Louise was awesome! Its a really fun course to ski with a decent average speed and with no really scary bits just a few key turns! Bode Swiller, I know me and Doug where both very close in the DH in LL, 12 hundredths is nothing over 2 runs. Me, Doug and Bud (our coach) spoke about it and decided that Doug should get the spot. I already had the SG spot so it seemed fair for Doug to race and get the opportunity to score some WC points.

On to the SG. My first ever WC start and to say I was excited is an understatement! It wasn't great weather with consistent light snowfall, some strong winds and not great visibility. Kostelic's dad set a pretty tricky course using all the terrain on the hill to its full. After inspection they moved the start down onto the end of the flats as the winds at the top where to high which if anything played to my advantage (only 77kg)! As my run approached and I was in the start area warming up I could here over the team radios that some people with numbers around me where skiing fast and getting into the top 30. I knew I had a great opportunity to get in there as well but I also knew I could not just ski down and do it. I was going to risk everything and that is what I did! I had an ok time to the first split but coming into a really fast tricky section I made a slight line era of a jump and had to throw my skis sideways and take out all my speed to make the next few gates but I carried on fighting knowing everything was not lost! I came onto the pitch and risked everything, taking a direct line trying to carry as much speed as I could on to the flat. Just coming onto the flat I hit a hole in the course and got bumped of line and and was late coming onto the flat carrying no speed at all. I was trying so hard to get back on line without losing any more speed but the distance between the gates shortened and everything was speeding up. When I came to a hard right footer over a very aggressive role I was still behind the line and a little bit in the back seat which meant I couldn't get enough ski direction before the break over and didn't move with the terrain and missed the next gate! A school boy era if I am honest but least I went for it and risked! Still, pretty gutted with my performance though!

We travelled to Beaver Creek on the Monday strait after the SG. Because of bad weather forecast they moved the training runs a day forward which meant we had no time to recover and went strait into it. I had skied the course once last year but didn't put in a great performance so after inspection I was pretty nervous! It is one of the toughest courses in the world with a huge amount of terrain, massive top speeds and crazy step section! I had done some good skiing in the training runs in Lake Louise so I was confident in my skiing but the course is still very daunting! A lot of places where things can go very wrong! When it came to my run I had pumped myself up and was feeling ready. Boy oh boy did I get it wrong down the step! It was not a good run at all, I had some big line eras in sections and didn't ski technically brilliant in some places but i made it down in a time not to far behind what my target was.

Training run 2 arrived and after watching some video of me and of the top guys the night before I felt confident of what I had to do. It was really strong tail wind on the top flats which meant the speed you carried onto the step section called the brink was up by a far bit! I had a much better run, I skied technically a hell of a lot better and actually stood on the ski and was driving through the turn creating speed. I had one big mistake down the step round a turn called basketball but I recovered well and the rest of the run was good. I finished 3.9 seconds out so I was pretty happy with that. Looking at the split times later on in the day I found out that I was 31st fastest in one section which made me ever happier and gave me a huge boost for the race the following day.

Race day and the weather was awesome, good light and no winds which is what every races wishes for. I was feeling good, confident, focused and fresh. Time to risk everything again and lay one down! I gave it my all and finally nailed the line everywhere and as I was tucking down to the finish line after the last jump I thought I had done a good run. I looked over to the board and was gutted, I had given it everything I had but was slow. Very slow. I was so unsure as to why I was slow I spent some time analysing my run. Turns out I did ski a pretty good line but outcome of that was that I wasn't letting the ski run and didn't carry any speed the whole way down. Looking back I shouldn't have worked so hard to ski the correct line and been a bit more wild and then the ski would have been running and i would have carried good speed. It was my first WC DH start and only my second WC start so even though I am disappointed I'm not going to beat myself up about it, I am going to take what I have learnt and apply it in Val Gardena!

Tomorrow I fly back up to Canada for a couple of Nor-Am SG's where I hope to score some good FIS points and carry on skiing fast!

Please excuse any punctuation mistakes, I had to blog in a little bit of a rush!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement, its nice to know that people are behind me!
snow conditions
Well done TJ, keep building on the experience and learning from the mistakes , enjoy the rest of your time in NA , hopefully the snow will be falling in the alps by the time you get back Cool
ski holidays
2nd training run in Beaver Creak!

http://youtube.com/v/D4PtTOB9hFY
ski holidays
TJBaldwin, That looks like a great course snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy