Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis and boots with KLM?

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening Snowheads!

I expect that KLM is not the usual choice of airline for a ski trip, but they currently seem to be the best on offer for our route which will be a Sunday flight from Manchester to Venice via Amsterdam.

One member of the party had his own skis. On reading the KLM baggage page:
http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/all_about/index.htm
it appears that:

1. Suitcase plus skis will be 55 each way (can anyone enlighten us whether that's euros or pounds?!)
2. But if he can get his clothes in the ski bag and leave the suitcase at home, then that counts as a normal bag so no extra charge.
3. But this means taking ski boots in hand luggage - any ideas about this?

So does anyone have any KLM experience or can translate that web page into something meaningful?

Ta very much snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet,

Excess baggage fees are in Euros, each way.

As to no. 3 boots dont have to go as hand luggage - sports equip. One ski bag and one boot bag as your allowance Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When working as instructor a few years ago had flight booked for me by company, I joined KLM flight from GB at Schiphol to fly to Austria, they weighed my skis and boots added it to my luggage weight of 20kg and I had a bill for e160 overweight fee, check the small print is my lesson.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones, Euros, thanks, that helps.
Re: sports equipment. We interpreted it as you didn't have to pay for this if you ditched the standard bag, but might be wrong, it's confusing. But that would mean also losing the boot bag as standard baggage = 1 bag, hence the hand luggage question. Does that make sense or am I barking up whe wrong ski pole?

Cynic, He reckons the whole lot including clothes weighs in under the 23kg limit (I don't think he takes spare underwear Toofy Grin ) . There's 12kg hand luggage too, so weight should be okay, but thanks for the tip. Trying to figure this out in advance and avoid such nasty surprises.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually choose to fly KLM - as preference - from Aberdeen, as IME they usually work out cheaper than Easyjet/etc overall, and you get a free beer (Heineken too!).

Im a bit drunk so may not have read your OP properly. But I fit all my clothes, skis, ski kit and boots into a double ski bag - give KLM 24 hours notice, and as long as you're within the weight limit (I always have been easily, even on 3-4 week trips) all is good, regardless of size.

Never had hand luggage checked with them - I usually take my laptop and a load of books, so not exactly light weight either.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet: We've flown with KLM, via Amsterdam, quite a few times. No problems to report with checking in skis and bags.

For short trips we check in a double ski bag between us (about 18kg inc 2 pairs of skis and bits and pieces of kit/clobber/ski rucksacks etc) and take boots and ski clothes as hand luggage (about 8-10kg each).

On long haul, it's ditto the above plus an extra check in bag with the rest of our clothes.

On a cautionary note, we have had at least 3 instances of bags not arriving at the other end whn flying with KLM. Apparently this is not uncommon when flying via Amsterdam. Ski bags have been a particular issue - although during a mountain biking trip to Utah, Mrs MA's bag didn't arrive at all (it turned up on departure day at the airport!), leaving her in only the clothes she stood up in Confused She had to buy a whole new set of biking clothes/kit and all new clothes for evenings - which was a total pain and a waste of holiday time....This is the reason why we now take ski boots and ski clothes as hand luggage - at least we can ski if the luggage doesn't arrive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for sharing, though I am now slightly concerned.

clarky999, As long as you're not too drunk... That's what we thought, though hadn't seen the bit about 24 hour notice. Will pass that on. Free beer is a nice sweetener. Do you get fed too?

mountainaddict, What a PITA. This bothers me a bit. Though I always pack ski clothes and helmets in hand luggage anyway, regardless of whether there's a change, but our boots always go in the checked luggage Confused I don't think there would be time to collect the luggage ourselves and re-check it at Amsterdam, unfortunately.

Will keep looking for a direct flight, but everything I've found so far for that day was about 40% more money Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet, Sports equipment in place of your standard baggage. Sports equipment includes one boot bag and one ski bag.

Have used KLM a few times but always had to have ski equipment as extra Sad since travelling for 2weeks + means we do need some clothes. Toofy Grin

Have been through Amsterdam many times and never had a bag go missing enroute, we usually have 6 bags between us too. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones, If you replace the standard bag with sports equipment, do you have to pay the €110 fee, or do they waive that if you have no suitcase-type bag? This is what I don't get. Am I just being a bit thick?

Good to know you've had a more positive experience of Amsterdam.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Have been through Amsterdam many times and never had a bag go missing enroute
I don't doubt it - just reporting on my experience......WHY ME??!!! Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, that sucks man, sorry to hear. For the record though, I've done Aberdeen - Amsterdam - Munich 7 or 8 times over the last two years, and never had any problems, they've always been great.

Scarlet, you get cheesy Dutch snacks too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet, copied from the KLM webby

A set of (water-) ski or snowboard equipment may consist of a board or pair of skis, two ski poles and a pair of ski boots.

Such a set counts as a single piece of baggage, which may weigh up to 23 kg (50.5 lbs). If your equipment weighs more, or if you bring it on top of your baggage allowance, excess baggage fees apply.

Quote:

Am I just being a bit thick?

No idea Madeye-Smiley

HTH
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones, rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We do the same asmountainaddict, and check in a double ski bag plus a separate bag and take our ski boots and a set of ski clothes in our hand luggage. That way, we have not been subject to any baggage charges.

We've also learned the hard way and have had luggage delayed on over a dozen occasions! Sad BTW, it has not only been KLM and Amsterdam problems - we've had it with BA (via LHR from Newcastle), Air New Zealand (via Los Angeles) and Iberia too (via Madrid).

Asmountainaddict, says, by taking our ski boots and clothes in our hand luggage it guarantees that we can hit the slopes if the rest of the gear does not turn up.

Despite several experiences of delayed luggage it did eventually turn up - usually within a day (and delivered to our holiday destination by the airline), although it did take 3 days on 2 occasions (neither of which were KLM).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Missing/delayed luggage seems to be an unfortunate theme on this thread.

I have found a possible alternative flight from Liverpool which also goes through Amsterdam (the AMS-VCE leg is the same as from Manchester), but this one lands slightly earlier giving us a bit longer in Amsterdam.

Do you think this will increase the chances of all the bags getting checked through?
Would be be better re-checking them at Amsterdam if there's time (2 hour stop), or is this too tight? I'm not familiar with Schipol, so am not sure how much running will be involved... Shocked
latest report
For the record, I've flown through Schipol on many occasions, either en route to Canada or Japan, and never had lost my baggage after having it checked through to or from from Leeds-Bradford.

(So touch wood for January's trip to visit the in-laws in Japan)

However, I stopped using them for my ski trips last year after they (i) changed the rules for ski carriage to N. America (and lowered their long-haul weight limits) and (ii) changed the time of their AMS-YVR flight. Neither of these changes apply to flights within Europe, so far as I understand it.

Schipol's actually one of my favourite airports, with nice comfy loungers to catch up on your kip after a long flight back, a good selection of food outlets, a small gallery with pictures from the Rijksmuseum and a generally cool ambience.
ski holidays
Cardiff to Sapporo, Japan via Amsterdam and Seoul.

One ski bag with skis, poles and clothes (under 20 kg)
Carry on bag containing clothes, ski boots, camera equipment (under 10 kg)
Laptop bag

Never had a problem. Never been charged excess.
snow report
I wonder if any KLM flyers can clarify

In the baggage description for sports equipment they say.

A set of (water-) ski or snowboard equipment may consist of one of the following:

A board and a pair of snowboard boots
A pair of (water) skis, 2 ski poles and a pair of ski boots
An avalanche rescue backpack

You can bring a set of (water) ski or snowboard equipment instead of a suitcase, or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance. You do not need to reserve for transportation of your ski or snow board equipment.

But in the large baggage they say

If you take a set of sports equipment in addition to your standard baggage allowance, or if your sports equipment is too large or too heavy, it still counts as a standard piece of baggage. You will then pay a fee per one-way journey.

Can anyone confirm if I take a ski bag with weight less than 23kg (but no other hold luggage) that there is no extra charge. my Ski bag is 190cm x 25cm x25cm.

Strange how they say it counts as a standard luggage then say I will pay a fee. The Fee is 75gbp for zone 2 each way if I get it wrong. Puzzled
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops, If you take your skis + boots in place of a standard suitcase/bag then its free so long as it weighs less than 23kg Madeye-Smiley You sure its £75 as they usually price it in Euro. Confused I know we always pay it in Euro flying to the states

The size excess is waivered with ski equipment. HTH
ski holidays
Flew Cardiff - Amsterdam - Osaka - Sapporo on 27 November 2013

1 piece of checked luggage up to 23 kg - ski roller bag containing skis, poles and clothing
1 piece of carry on luggage - was about 10 kg and contained my boots, knee brace, camera, change of clothing
1 laptop bag
1 ski helmet hanging off my laptop bag

That would have incurred no baggage charge.

If you go over 23 kg (and I did) you have two options

1. You can still just check in 1 bag up to a maximum weight of 32 kg

2. You can check in a second bag up to 23 kg in weight (effectively being able to check 46 kg of luggage)

Both options incur a flat excess fee of 100 euros each way.

Your call on which excess option to take.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 14-12-13 9:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Perfect mike pow
snow report
Scarlet,
I endorse mountainaddict,'s approach. As I mentioned earlier, we also take our boots and ski clobber in hand luggage and have done so numerous times with KLM - not least as (like mountainaddict) we've had luggage delayed a lot (and by that I mean about 20 times!) when taking indirect flights.

It's usually the skis that don't turn up but on our last two trips to Canada it was our skis plus the other checked bag. Grrrrr!

Oh, and BA have failed to deliver our mountain bikes on 2 of our recent trips to Geneva. Then we had no skis or luggage when we went to Chile with Iberia; ditto when we went to Lake Tahoe; and we were ice axe-less when we flew to Munich blah blah blah Sad

We've now reached the point when we expect to be the only two travellers left in the arrivals hall as the empty luggage belt grinds to a halt....(sigh)

Whinge over. Delayed luggage is still better than not travelling! :
snow report
Bergmeister, thanks, I can now report that the advise I received (in 2011...) was correct, and no fees were paid Cool

All bags arrived with no delays, and the whole journey was surprisingly painless. The only thing to be aware of if you're not used to transfers is the additional security check in the second airport (in our case Schipol) with the associated 20min queue in order to enter the Schenghen zone.
snow conditions
I am flying LHR to Sapporo booked via KLM (but the trip there is with Airfrance, code sharing). I called KLM and questioned them on their baggage policy. You are allowed 1 free bag under 23kg and this can be a ski bag, plus 12kg on board. So as long as your one bag is a ski bag with all your gear in it there should be no problems. Just take boots as carry on. Now just to get 2 set of skis and clothes for two weeks under 35kg!
snow conditions
Quote:
Now just to get 2 set of skis and clothes for two weeks under 35kg!

x2 sets of skis will normally be around 12-15kg - so that leaves a (ahem) paltry rolling eyes 20kg for your clobber etc. Surely easily do-able for all but Posh Spice, diva rockstars etc Laughing?
snow report
BMG, get this in writing.. I did your exact same flight, and it was fine in LHR.. But I had to argue for two hours and almost missed my flight in Japan. They technically count 1 ski bag to be a boot bag + skis but that's what caused the confusion on the japan side.. Either way, always best to get them to email it to you to prevent any potential issues at the airport!
latest report
Timmaah, I'm planning on taking boots as carry on. I'm assuming you are referring to having a separate boot bag and checking this in and having both ski bag and boot counted as 1 bag? I have had several problems with this before, hence why I am just going to take them on board with me. Out of curiosity - did you need to collect your bags in Tokyo or did they go all the way through to Sapporo?

mountainaddict, when you put it like that, then actually it shouldn't be a problem. Boots are about 4-5kg though so I am down to 15kg....will still be tight I think. Time will tell..
ski holidays
BMG,

Just the two and a half stones of checked luggage to play with then!

Joking aside, you've still got your hand luggage remember! That can accommodate a lot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMG, I had them checked in rather than carry-on. I flew to Tokyo with KLM/Air France and then did the last stage with Jetstar, but they lost my bags for three days when getting to Sapporo.. Last time I fly with them! Going with Lufthansa/Swiss this time. I'm sure you'll have a better time than I did if you're taking them as carry on though snowHead To your other question though, if you're flying with them via Tokyo to Sapporo you'll just have to collect the bags at Sapporo.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy