Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aaaah! need help choosing a resort.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Been reading the great resort reviews on snowheads, loads of really useful info, but now a problem Puzzled I can't decide which resort to choose! Hoping that some of you can help me decide, so thanks in advance for any extra info you can give.
This is my first post, so here goes:

Looking for a resort for our family (of intermediates skiers) for our Feb half term trip, our main criteria is few queues and quiet slopes. And.............
reasonably snow-sure, with some tree line skiing as well as wide cruising runs. Don't need a party scene, just some good mountain huts for lunch. We'll be driving & self catering, so any info on particular apartments that offer ski in/out would be great.

Our previously skied favs so far have been Val Cenis & Obergurgl, but want to try somewhere new.

On my shortlist is Valtournenche skiing into Cervinia (any comments on the lift between) , La Rosiere (get the feeling this is a marmite place!!) skiing into La Thuile (again just how bad is the lift between resorts), Montgenevre & Serre Chevalier. Any thoughts would be really appreciated, thanks! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
allthegearnoidea, a warm welcome to Snowheads snowHead Montgenevre will suit you well, though not too sure about the mountain huts, there aren't that many. Hameau des Airelles apartments are ski-in and out with a pool. There is a very large supermarket in Briancon 20 mins down the hill.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

few queues and quiet slopes

Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I'm a francophile, but if you want few queues and quiet slopes at half term, you'd be best advised to avoid France. Our apartment is in French ski area where no British tour operators go and few Brits have heard of, but it's French holidays too and the slopes will be very busy (we always come home for those weeks). Might find some quieter spots in Italy or Austria, but probably best to avoid resorts popular with British TOs.

There are some useful threads on how best to avoid traffic problems at half term. If you can find Sunday/Sunday accommodation that would make the journey a lot easier and quicker.

Just abut ALL the rental accomodation (and certainly all the remotely nice places) in our area is now booked for the whole of the French school holidays, including the English half term (our apartment will be empty though.... wink )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Valtournenche skiing into Cervinia (any comments on the lift between)
About 5 or 6 years since we were there, so things may have changed.....but that link was one of the most miserable chairlift rides I have ever endured. Very long, very slow and (at the time), very windy and very cold.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Selva Gardena would fit the bill - lovely cruising runs some of which are tree lined, good mountain huts and as our half term falls a week before Fasching/ carnevale the slopes shouldn't be too crowded
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
allthegearnoidea, valtournenche is rather a grim village
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
There are some useful threads on how best to avoid traffic problems at half term. If you can find Sunday/Sunday accommodation that would make the journey a lot easier and quicker.

Sorry for the blatant hijack but the answers may help allthegearnoidea also. Sun/Sun accommodation is exactly what I've got booked in Morgins in PDS and we're planning on driving for the first time. What things do I really need to know?

I've tried searching but driving/tips/half term doesn't narrow things down too much.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Chevalier.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Montgenevre is good, Serre Che is awesome, IMHO Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of the places you are considering we have been to La Rosiere and Montgenevre and both are very good for a family skiing holiday.

La Rosiere itself would be fairly busy at half term but you'd probably find quieter slopes in La Thuile. The Espace san bernando is ok for mountain restaurants but there aren't many tree lined runs. Some of the lifts are quite slow and if you take your children over to La Thuile they would need to be able to do two long drag lifts (they are not very steep ones). When we went our children were quite young so this wasn't an issue. We skiied in La Thuile in the morning while they were at ski school.

Montgenevre better for tree lined runs and has some nice new lifts. However not very good for mountain restaurants. There are only 2 in the Montgenevre ski area but there are more if you ski over to Claviere.

Both La Rosiere and Montgenevre have some lovely newish self catering apartments. Both resorts have good ski school options if you are looking for that. Both fairly snow sure.

Serre Chevalier might be a good option but we haven't been there. Check out the piste map for mountain restaurants!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy