Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner,never skied, solo girl , does anyone want to partner up and book a trip

Poster: A snowHead
I am a non skier interested in learning how to skii, I'm a female in my 20's, I have been up to Milton Keynes a couple of times on the dry slope and Now i'd love to go to either Arinsal Andorra or anywhere good for beginners, Is there a group of beginners out there booking a trip who would like an extra person in their group?

Or does anyone know any sites that have good deals/trips for beginners please??

Or are there any solo skiers preferably beginners too, who would like to buddy up and organise a trip for sometime next year, maybe Feb/March times, I hear it's the best time to go for beginners.

Please let me know,

Thanks guys Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Noms, Welcome to snowHead . I'd love to help you but my wife won't let me. Laughing I'm sure that there will be other snowHead who can point you in the right direction.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife wont let me either but I'm sure somebody will be along soon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Noms,

Welcome to snowHead !!!

We have some single rooms with no supplements if that helps? The link is in my tag line but feel free to drop me a message if you're keen to book a week with other solo skiiers already reserved. We can book lessons and liftpass deals for beginners, and help simplify all of the organisation. . .

Best wishes,
Heather
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Noms, welcome to snowheads, hope you get sorted. if you're interested in the social aspect as much as the skiing, you could check out s8bb, the snowheads 8th birthday bash, a trip to italy in the first week of february
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Noms - Google "Single Skiing" and you will find lots of helpful links.

Most of the sites are for folks who just want companions for a skiing trip - which is what you are looking for.

If I could give you one piece of advice it would be this - do make sure you take a good course of lessons whatever you do. And then take it easy.

Whatever you do, don't allow more experienced skiers to tempt you up the slopes with the idea that they are going to teach you, or that it's easy.

Just because someone is a good skier, does not make them a good teacher. And I can't tell you how many folks I have meet over the years who have done serious harm to themselves after "friends" have strapped them into skis and thrown them off the top of a mountain.

Have fun - I'll sure you'll find folks to go with. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a good site - lessons are included. And the locations are very good:

http://www.singlesport.com/holiday_Details/index.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Just because someone is a good skier, does not make them a good teacher. And I can't tell you how many folks I have meet over the years who have done serious harm to themselves after "friends" have strapped them into skis and thrown them off the top of a mountain.

+ 1 on that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Quote:

+ 1 on that.

- 1 on that.

Many ski schools spend all day with 10 pupils following the leader. If you are a fast learner, and prepared to take some falls to learn faster, then you might find that the ski school holds you back. You can of course jump up to a higher group midweek.

I found that I learnt the most in the afternoons after lessons in the first week. In particular I learnt how to take care of myself, regardless of where reckless (non teaching) skiers take you.

The lesson you learn in going with other skiers who are more experienced, is to go at your own pace, and to know your limits. That is sometimes a more valuable lesson, than skiing in a group lesson at the pace of the slowest learner!

I suppose I am saying that your best teacher, will ultimately be yourself!

wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bigtipper has a point - lessons are excellent and essential. But once you are with a group, it's easy to became over-confident and want to keep-up with them etc. You need to be strong-willed at that point and resist.

But remember that we are stupid men - you are a smart female so you should not have that problem Laughing

One of my best friends was taken skiing by her snowboard instructor boyfriend. He took her up the mountain, gave her a pair of snowblades and pointed her downhill. She got half-way down and then fell and did her ACL. She was in hospital for 2 days and took 6 months to recover.

I get angry just thinking about it Evil or Very Mad

My first time skiing was when I was 41 years old. I had one-on-one lessons for 5 hours a day from an excellent instructor in Meribel, France. By the end of the week I was skiing steep reds and have been crazy for skiing ever since.

The first instructor I had was this mad French women who would ski backwards in front of me, fag in one hand and mobile phone in the other - and she would shout at me between drags!! I got rid of her after an hour.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you looked at www.action-outdoors.co.uk? They are the UK agents for UCPA a French outdoor sports organisation set up to encourage young adults to take up outdoor sports. Their weeks include full board accommodation (no need to break the bank for lunch up the mountain); 7-day ski pass; equipment hire (ski / board and boots); tuition - either full or half time. You can arrange your own travel or take the overnight bus from Victoria to keep costs down even more.

The centres are very communal and you'll get a bunk in a multi-share room of between 3-6 depending on the centre - usually with other english speakers although the centres attract skiers from the UK, france, sweden, and further afield such as Israel and the middle east.

UCPA start beginners instruction with a couple of hours on the Sunday afternoon - so you can get your ski legs for the rest of the day without being dangerous and you will be in a group with other beginners.

I would recommend La Plagne or Flaine for your first week - unless you want a bigger party experience then try Val D'Isere, Tignes or even Chamonix.

I've done loads of weeks with them now and have always enjoyed myself and progressed with my skiing.

And as you're a snowhead you get a £10 discount - just use SP2010 in the discount code when you book online.

GOOD LUCK! And welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for the UCPA
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+2 for UCPA - La Plagne or Flaine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bigtipper wrote:
I suppose I am saying that your best teacher, will ultimately be yourself! wink

EDIT

That is not good advice

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 25-11-11 6:03; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Smokin Joe wrote:
My wife wont let me either but I'm sure somebody will be along soon.

I wont tell mine.
latest report
emwmarine, I will
snow report
red 27 wrote:
emwmarine, I will

There had to be a flaw in the plan somewhere. Along with a 20 year age gap.
snow report
Wayne, ...... and breathe.....
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots,
Yeah you're right.
Have edited my post Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wayne, Very Happy Very Happy Very subtle... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wayne, your opinion depends on your point of view. In my opinion you learn more from your own mistakes than you do by copying an instructor. If we all copied one instructor, who would the instructor copy?

Clearly, there is room for a difference of opinion!

Laughing
snow conditions
Bigtipper, Sorry, but that's utter tripe. You learn from a (good) instructor and then you go off and practice what you learnt, of course you learn a lot by skiing by yourself and coming into contact with varying conditions/runs etc, but it's downright dangerous to advice a complete beginner to teach themselves. Next you'll be telling us it's a great idea for all learner drivers to get in the car with their speedy mates and just 'ave a go - don't worry you'll learn by your mistakes... rolling eyes
snow report
Bigtipper yeah you’re right, of course. I see it now and it will stand me in good stead tomorrow as I have decide to hire a chain saw – never used one before but hey, like you say, I’ll learn from my mistakes (and so will anyone else around me)

Bigtipper wrote:

No there's not, you're wrong

OOOPS
Thread drift. Maybe some mod will shift this to the Bend-Ze-Knees.
snow report
Well, I can see I will not change your mind. However, I will still not agree with your opinion as you have not proved it right to me.

I have not advised any complete beginners to learn to ski on their own. That is what you have suggested Schuss in Boots.

As for learner car drivers, I actually think it is a good idea to get used to driving on private land on your own. Many people do that with tractors, and their parents cars if they have more land than a small driveway. Even if they had a small driveway, they could learn how the clutch works, and how to pull off and stop. Whilst I do not advise anyone to do this, I am absolutely certain that some people will!

Laughing
latest report
Hi Noms
I am sure you will receive plenty of offers or a UCPA place could be suitable for you.
If you can't find anything, 3 middle aged guys (2 intermediates & 1 beginner - all married but wives not coming - ages 65, 60, 50) have booked a 4 bed budget studio apartment in Tignes 14th - 21st January and there is a spare place!
We are travelling by car from Harrogate, Yorkshire on 13th Jan to Folkestone and leave there at 6pm on the SkiBus to Tignes, arriving 9am 14th Jan. Tignes has good beginner slopes and free beginner lifts. Could maybe loan you skis & boots depending on your size. Genuine offer, we're not weirdos and not offended if you don't want to be seen with 3 geriatric skiers!
latest report
Bigtipper, sorry mate - that's tosh. It is a very good way to consolidate bad habits. For an adult (I think children are different - and learn much more by modelling/copying) it is vital that they have small but significant early corrections and feedback, otherwise they become just another inefficient style-lacking numpty who is out of control in terrain they don't understand. The fact that Wayne is an instructor doesn't mean he is wrong...
snow report
Wayne wrote:
Bigtipper yeah you’re right, of course. I see it now and it will stand me in good stead tomorrow as I have decide to hire a chain saw – never used one before but hey, like you say, I’ll learn from my mistakes (and so will anyone else around me)

Bigtipper wrote:

No there's not, you're wrong

OOOPS
Thread drift. Maybe some mod will shift this to the Bend-Ze-Knees.

Wayne is right.

Pound for pound, apples to apples, a 100%-self-taught skier will never learn as fast or become as good as someone who is, say, 50%-self-taught and 50%-expert-tutored.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Noms, have you confirmed your trip yet? If not, here's an idea. I plan to be in Val d'isere, France for skiing in the Christmas week, 24th to 30th Dec (Sat to Fri). I started last year and am at an advanced beginner/early intermediate stage (parallel-easy reds). I am arranging for private lessons in Val d'isere as I found private lessons very useful last year (in Soll, Austria) and would like to advance at a rapid pace. The private lesson costs for 2-3 is almost the same as that for 1 person and therefore has significant cost benefits on splitting, without losing the private lesson flavour. We can share the costs of the lesson, travel, accommodation etc (open to discussion).
ski holidays
dataman156 wrote:
Hi Noms
I am sure you will receive plenty of offers or a UCPA place could be suitable for you.
If you can't find anything, 3 middle aged guys (2 intermediates & 1 beginner - all married but wives not coming - ages 65, 60, 50) have booked a 4 bed budget studio apartment in Tignes 14th - 21st January and there is a spare place!

This is starting to sound like Castaway. Which one of you is Oliver Reed??

Laughing
snow conditions
stoat of the dead wrote:
The fact that Wayne is an instructor doesn't mean he is wrong...

There isn’t a “staring at the screen with an incredulous glint in his eye” icon, so you get a Toofy Grin .

As you (should) know, it is simply not possible for a ski instructor to be wrong, ever, about anything. Shame on you for even imagining the possibility.

We all do the BASI “I am never wrong" module – it’s required by the ISIA and, after recent court battles, even the French ESF now accept it as a badge of British infallibility.
latest report
Quote:

fter recent court battles, even the French ESF now accept it as a badge of British infallibility.

They have to - instructors are never wrong Very Happy
snow conditions
i stress that you get the proper training and take it easy dont get tempted by expirienced skiers egging you on like me ha ha.joke.i have seen this first hand when i learned to ski in canada we were told to stay with the instructor one lad gave in to temptation of intermediates taunting him and followed down a steep red lost controll at high speed and broke his colar bone,not trying to scare you but this is what can easily happen being in canada the teachers were going mad they had to pay his medical attention bill.a very expensive mistake..... i am also a solo skier and will be going to avoriaz in jan of feb .... what ever you decide keep us posted Cool Cool Cool
snow report
Noms, Hey, Noms. I am also a beginner skier and I'm trying to join a group to go on a trip this season. I'd like to buddy up and try to find a group. I'm 33 male.
latest report
Bigtipper,

Quote:

I am saying that your best teacher, will ultimately be yourself

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes was that was a deliberate trolling comment or do you genuinely hold that view?

Maybe once you are at a higher level that may possibly start to be true, but for a beginner its poor advice (IMHO).
snow conditions
Hey,

I've only done 3 weeks previously, 2 week skiing, 1 week boarding.

If you and torrent want to maybe have a hunt around ?

10th-20th feb would be half term for me (teaching in a 6th form college)
Im 24yo science teacher

Hopefully speak soon!
Rich

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 10-12-11 19:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
This site has changed... and I like it!
latest report
hi Noms,

Im too female in my 20's and im a beginner, looking to find some cool people to go with in February or March.

If its not too late please get in touch, im looking at andorra or france and will be 1 week either last 2 weeks of Feb or Last 2 weeks of March.

Gill

Very Happy
ski holidays
our holiday on 10 March includes lessons with a firstclass ski school--please see singlesport.com & skivo2.co.uk--we have a huge group all ages & abilities & make you very welcome---Ruth
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy