Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter boots

Poster: A snowHead
Before I pop over the road to drop £140 on some new Timberlands, is there anything better* I can get?

*these are for urban winter wear also, so looking like an actual proper boot, and not some sort of trainer on steroids, is important to me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Greenland, my Sorels were a godsend at the campsite, quite a lot warmer than my touring boots. You'd look a bit of a tit in a city centre in them though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice, they look good and hardcore, but as you say not exactly hip to the groove urban-wise.

EDIT - Camping in Greenland? 'kin 'ell....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Camping in Greenland? 'kin 'ell....

Ski touring from a base camp. A great trip but sadly a few years ago now, a mortgage means less expendable income!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John... don't buy the Timberlands!!

I had a coupel fo pairs and they were truly cr*p in the snow.... Sorrels all the way;
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My Sorels were the D's Bs ... for standing around in a foot of snow and a -15 blizzard.

But just about anything warmer than that and my feet cooked. I wouldn't recommend them for urban wear in the UK.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just bought some Sorels from Amazon US. Much cheaper, even with delivery and custom charges. And they arrived within a week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Red Wing are a good alternative to Timberlands. Bit more £ but worth it IMO.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is urban winter wear? Must be able to resist staining from a dropped Skinny Chai Latte? Able to mix it in the queue outside the Apple Store?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, that's pretty much it. Add shuffling through fume stained slush and still look presentable in a wine bar and you've got a good 360.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 17-11-11 15:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells, Good shout, I see they're 110 USD for my size, whats worst case for delivery and taxes on top if imported?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I, being firstly a cheapskate, and secondly not caring much what I look like wear these from Karrimor

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-snow-fur-boots-mens-143007?colcode=14300705

Warm, comfortable, grippy, and most importantly - cheap Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, delivery and customs added on about 36$ off the top of my head, although I did get some of this back as they had over-estimated customs charges.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, did you get a bill for VAT & Import Duty??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, no. The courier dealt with it all by taking a payment in advance. Amazon refund it about 6 weeks after delivery.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, that's useful to know thanks Smile How come Amazon refund import duty and VAT???
latest report
kitenski DHL must have some arrangement with customs where they charge the expected costs in advance. I assume they then return any excess to Amazon who refund anything due to the customer.
snow conditions
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=14309551&pop-up=1&tag=amz07b-21 is what amazon says about the Import deposit.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, Useful info on prepaid taxes etc when ordering from Amazon US. Thanks
snow conditions
Mark one for another cheapskate. I got a pair of Hi-Tec Cortina's. Very well insulated and look fine when worn with trousers over them.

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Item-2-0-cat-40-brand-1514-Hitec_Cortina_Snow_Boots_UK7_and_12_Only.aspx
snow conditions
Sorels all the way - got mine and blokes off of Amazon US after spending a good week googling for them closer to home.

Snow and Rock have my pair in there for £145 - both mine and blokes inc all taxes etc were £145. Winner.
ski holidays
Got my first pair of Timberland Boots about 15 years ago, they were great, made in USA, totally waterproof. Wore them out, totally happy with the originals, so bought another pair, what a pile of shite, made in some South American banana republic, leaked like a sieve and the interior fell to pieces, Timberland replaced them FOC with a SE Asian pile of crap that was just as bad as the ones they replaced. Timberland are now sadly form over function. Sad

Sorel are great but you'll cook in the UK.

I bought a pair of North Face Chilcats for snowy weather, they're just about cool enough for UK, but also handled BC fine too.
latest report
Another vote for Sorel Caribou. On my second pair now. Have been using them solid doing ski demos for the last 6 years and they're still going strong. Bought mine through ebay.com and paid about £100 including taxes and delivery. They're also great for walking the dogs in the winter.
snow conditions
I've always just worn my walking boots, can then wear them year round wuthout my feet overheating too much in the summer.
snow conditions
Dr John, I think I on pair 5 of Timberlands in 22 years including 3 full seasons. Not bad going wear wise although TB did provide 2 pairs as free replacements.

I see no other compromise between urban day wear and deep winter resortwear that works as well...
latest report
https://www.pajar.com/grip-low-798.html - I personally think they are better looking than the men's Sorel (though I have Sorel myself).
snow report
Blimey, who knew the sorel's are the official SN's footware. I think, on balance, I'll get the timberlands. I don't spend enough time in the mountains to need the nuclear level protection of sorel's, and the timberlands fulfil my wine bar criteria.
snow report
Dr John, I've had two pairs of Timberlands, both fine in the snow. On the other hand I've just sold a pair of Sorels because they were uncomfortable and I had permanently cold feet.

If they made them in smaller sizes I'd be buying these: http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-TBLGB-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=men_footwear&pid=18027&start=3&source=search&color=231

Do they think women don't get cold feet, or what? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, Yup, like them but without the fur. I like women in timberlands, the old skool hip hop look.
snow conditions
Dr John, the fur is the way forward (for those with big enough feet, pay attention Timberland), though admittedly you'd need an ordinary pair too if you wanted to do the wine bar thing as well as stomp about in the snow.
ski holidays
Red Wing>Timberland.
snow report
http://www.bunnyboots.com/

Boots with a valve Shocked
latest report
Sorels are good but I found them too heavy for any kind of substantial walking in an urban environment. They were eBayed after the second wear.
latest report
I swear by my Sorels. Bought them in Finland as my feet were cold. Would not wear any-thing else now.
snow conditions
NF chillcats are worth a look
latest report
Zero-G, that's odd as mine are definitely not heavy.
snow report
Nor are mine (heavy that is)

But i wouldn't wear them in the UK as they're too bulky with the fur linings and they are very warm and it doesn't really get cold enough to justify them.

In resort i could quite hapily wear them whilst standing on the snow sledging etc etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy