Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To buy or not to buy

Poster: A snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are truly intermediate/advanced, then that ski is, in my opinion, too soft for you. You would find on faster runs that it flaps around, and won't like to be pushed too hard.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, I can't quite make out your post. On the one hand it seems you've done a ski in a day package plus 2 trips to Castleford, so 3 days on skis maximum. On the other hand, your instructor reckons you're intermediate/advanced. Unless you truly are an outstanding talent, I doubt that both can be true (no offence intended)! If you have only done 3 days, I'd stick with hiring for now. Try a few skis out when you get to the resort and pick the one you like most. Don't buy something just because it's cheap.

If you really are intermediate/advanced, I expect that WTFH's advice is good. He's tried out a lot of skis!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry, I am as confused as Arno: how many days' skiing have you actually done? Even if you are inter/advanced, it only really makes sense getting your own skis if you do over 2 weeks a season. Any less than that and a) you won't get your money back for many years; and b) ski technology & your ability will move on and you will want a new pair in a season or three.

I do own my own skis, but the main pro is knowing they are maintained & serviced properly (hire shops can be variable in that respect).

Regarding the Streetracer series, I am sure I saw a thread recently where someone was slating them as being good for a laugh at an indoor snow slope, but hopelessly wobbly at speed out on the real piste. Do a search for "Streetracer" and see what turns up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry, If you are going to go to Castleford a lot (i.e. weekly) - they are probably worth a go. They will be better than the slope skis.

If you are planning to just use them on holiday - give yourself some experience first....and try some other skis - Tour Operators will charge for carrying skis to the Alps.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the ice perv wrote:
Renry, I am as confused as Arno: how many days' skiing have you actually done? Even if you are inter/advanced, it only really makes sense getting your own skis if you do over 2 weeks a season. Any less than that and a) you won't get your money back for many years; and b) ski technology & your ability will move on and you will want a new pair in a season or three.

I disagree with the >2 weeks before buying, but then I am a gearaholic. It is justifiable to have your own skis for only one week a year. They tend to pay for themselves in about 6 weeks - if you keep them well, and sell them on. If you just keep them when you upgrade, then yes, it's 10+ weeks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

They tend to pay for themselves in about 6 weeks - if you keep them well, and sell them on.

I think 6 weeks is a tad optimistic, but let's not argue about that one.
On a related matter, how much can you actually get for 2nd hand skis? Assuming they depreciate at say 50% per season, after 3 or 4 years they will be virtually worthless surely? Mind you, there are plenty of mugs out there on eBay who will buy any old rubbish......
If any Snowheads out there have any tales of successful wheeler-dealing in skis then let me know what your secret is, coz I would consider upgrading mine if I could get decent money for them!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the ice perv, I normally get £150-180 after about 4-6 weeks, depending on the skis. Basically, after they've been drilled, then if you keep them well, they will stay around the sub £200 mark for several years. So, if I buy a pair of skis that retail for £600, and sell them after 6 weeks skiing on them for £180, then the next owner is getting a bargain. That would be £420 depreciation for 6 weeks, or £70 per week, which isn't unreasonable for ski hire. But the point is, do you pay full retail for skis?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the ice perv, It was I who said the Streetracer where fun at Castleford but became tiresome/ boring on piste. I have the Streetracer 8, so I would imagine the 6 are even worse.

The main problem is they are no good at speed. It was very frustrating to watch my friends shoot off on every run while I'm left with my skis flapping around!

Renry, If you've never skied a resort before, you won't have experienced a nice schusse (sp?).... and you certainly still won't on a pair of Streetracer 6.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Renry,

I am as confusd as the rest. What type of turns are you comfortable with as din 6 for a 12 stone guy is on the low side just on weight alone, almost. But since it is on plastic then just about maybe.
Anyway, I have sied for a good few years and I still hire as it suits me travelling without the carry hassle.
For a 6 day hol in the alpes you can pay between 60eu and 130eue per week depending on the grade of ski. I use premium skis which probaly doesn't leave much change from £100 pw but they are top skis. That is all lost money. But then to kit yourself out with a good pair with bindings, say £300 after shopping around. a bag, and servicing and carriage and anything else then you could rack up £450 for 4 weeks. Thats 3 services @ £20.00 plus 3 carries @ 15.00
and a bag for £45.00. You can pick the bones out of all that and it would be about even. You would have the sell-on factor with yu own skis but then I don't carry them to and fro. Its roundabouts and swings and you pays yer money.
Most decent resorts do decent skis but they will not be cheap and the owner wants to sell them not have you trash them so he might be circumspect on when he hires good skis out. But then when the snow is bare do you want to be on your own lovely skis.

If you haven't skied on snow much I would wait and try a few, try a few decents makes - you will pay more than the regular rate- and get a perspective of what the ski can do. There will also be skis which lend themselves to different types of skiing. Get used to all that before taking the plunge. Only if they are exactly what you want or are a real bargain would I, in your shoes, buy at this point. I based this reasoning on the basis that you may be a 4 week grade skier. To most people that is an intermediate at best and may be excellent progress for what sounds like limited time on the slopes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I normally get £150-180 after about 4-6 weeks

Who from? Do you advertise them at the local ski-slope? Put them on eBay? Car boot sale?!
Quote:

But the point is, do you pay full retail for skis?

Nope: that's a mug's game. The only way to buy new skis is in a sale, or if you know someone in the trade who can get you a discount. Full retail skis are well over-priced for what you get. A lot of the time the manufacturers just tweak a ski slightly and change the graphics year on year. So this season's "brand new ski" is often virtually identical to the one on sale at the end of the season before. There are exceptions to this of course, particularly when something revolutionary like carving comes along, but that's not very often.

Before anyone labels me a cynic this view is shared by the staff of my local ski shop (who shall remain anonymous to protect their profits!). One must also question why the general trend in moving ski manufacture to cheap-labour countries hasn't resulted in cheaper skis. Answer - bigger profits for the corporations!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, from my gawping at ebay, it also seems to depend on the type of ski you're trying to sell. Depressingly, Salomon and Rossi B2s seem to sell for redinculously inflated prices.

The other thing is that if you buy something half decent second hand, it barely depreciates at all. I got a pair of skis and bindings for £100 off the Natives message board. Skied them for a whole season plus a few weeks, then sold them on for £125! Admittedly, I had taken off the rubbish Solly demo bindings and put on Fritschi Freeride ones. However, I already owned the Fritschis and they too had seen plenty of use. So I got a pair of skis and used them for about 15-20 weeks for a net cost of about £50. Bargain!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, talking of eBay, I did sell my old boots on there for only about £10 less than what I paid four years previously. And yes they were Salomons. I can't understand why the word "salomon" makes people willing to pay well over the odds for something. Perhaps I should paint "salomon GTI" on the back of my car next time I sell.....? Smile

I've got nothing against Salomon mind you, but they don't appear any better than anything else from what I can see. Apart from maybe marketing and distribution?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
all helpfull

ty
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, we sold both our skis last year on ebay - definitely the place to sell! Mine were very basic Head skis that I'd used for about 3 years (twice a year). Bought them for £140, marketed them as ideal for the early intermediate skier wishing to progress to carving, and sold them for £120. M Coins had a pair of Atomics - can't remember which ones but they were good ones - they were pretty cut up but described them honestly and with full pictures, got about £160 for them.
latest report
Arno, it's also about knowing where to sell them - know your market, and get your price! I sold one pair through a post on Natives a couple of years back, and another pair by posting here.
At a guess, my ski running costs are under £40 per week.

JT, don't go there with the DIN settings. Laughing
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, true - i reckon B2s would fly off the shelf if advertised on here too! Laughing
Doesn't seem that anyone on here, Natives or my ski mountaineering club is interested in a mint pair of Atomic Powder Cruises. More fool them... or me for buying something I didn't need in the first place Mad
ski holidays
I got some Volkl supersport 4* from filarinskis.com . come thorughly recommended. Tell them your boot length (Usually on the sole) and they'll fit the bindings too. I think the supersport is better to your ability. less stiff flex than the 5* but a damm good price. Seem to be suited to lighter skiers. also the zentih z5 @£250 is worth a look.
latest report
Edmundh009, even though they may have set up the bindings to your sole length, you should still get a pro to adjust the bindings to your boots.
snow report
Well I did cos I got my equipment the wrong way round. Skis then boots. I think the guys at filarinskis are very capable however. They do ask for your age height weight and ability. Surely they can adjust a din setting that way. Anyway as ski shops like to be safe they tend to underestimate do they not meaning they would probably put his din setting at around 6 or even 5. If he had problems with early on non-release he could go to a ski shop with the equipment at Fault. Or he could get filarinskis to mount the binding and then take it to his local ski shop to give the once over .
snow report
Woops hadn't signed in didn't realise it was the oh so gracious WTFH questioning my limited opinion Skullie but am i not right Smile In that it is surely of less importance to a novice than to an expert when it comes to din settings and such like. Filarinskis don't seem like morons to me but what do I know . How long ago did you move away from Belfast. Did you ever go to Knockbracken dry ski slope. Gotta be the worst in Europe.
snow report
Okey, I think im gonna hang on till I go away.

So what sort of Ski should I be looking to hire and at what sort of cost.
ski holidays
Edmundh009, it's not just about DIN settings! Getting the toe height right, etc, are things which can't be done without having your boot to set it up.

(I learned to ski at Knockbracken, and I learned apres there too!)
snow report
Renry, how much total experience have you got?
snow report
I'd like to swap my ladies Atomic C9s for something else. What should I try when I'm on holiday? Something fun and stylish.hehehe Toofy Grin
snow report
erica2004, did you wish to keep the pea soup green motif?
snow conditions
I think the Volkl supersport would be a good hire ski, maybe some zenith z3. Realistically I wouldn't worry about it to much. You really have no idea of how much fun you will have on the slopes of a real ski resort. Going and being able to handle the basics gives you a distinct advantage over many first-timers. Try and make sure you get your fitness level up as well paticularly in your mid region and legs. It will help with the fatigue of all those long days. I got some warren smith ski academy dvds too. GEt em from natives.co.uk . First one is ok but I do feel the second dvd explains things better in more depth and offers some ski drills which you could practice at Castleford.
snow report
Edmundh009, I can't believe they've set your bindings without having your boots there & let you think that's OK! WTFH is dead right, you'll need to get them set properly with your boot before you go out on them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They changed the din settings at the lunch time of my Ski in a day lesson, I have stuck with that setting ever since. (thats 2 visits)
snow report
Renry, so you learnt to ski in a day, and after 2 more visits to Castleford are now an "intermediate/advanced skier" and are "more than comfortable carving" Shocked None of this rings true to me unless you are some kind of godlike genius....no, not even then. Maybe you should send your name and number to the British Olympic Committee and they could book you a place on the team for Turin? They will probably set you up with a sponsor who'll give you skis for free Confused
ski holidays
Im only going by what my instuctor at exscape told me. And as for the comment on carving, I was told I had a very good natural technique,

Plake. if you cant offer any help that is relevent to the topic please please please keep your opinions to yourself.

At least when people have been confused with my original start to this thread they have asked.

IMOA you have jumped in on this thread with a poor attitude. You disregard what has been said earlyer in the thread and youve made your own assumptions.

Get your coat and leave this thread please, unless you can offer some constructive advice.

Have you seen me ski, where you my instructor, NO Mad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 26-08-05 11:06; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
Renry, perhaps your instructor meant that you were learning 'advanced' techniques in skiing. I haven't been to Castleford, but at xscape at Milton Keynes, the slope is only like a blue run, at best, at the top. I should wait and see what its like in real snow on real pistes first before trying to assess your ability. If nothing else, you have the weather to contend with and steep slopes!
latest report
Cathy Coins wrote:
Renry, perhaps your instructor meant that you were learning 'advanced' techniques in skiing. I haven't been to Castleford, but at xscape at Milton Keynes, the slope is only like a blue run, at best, at the top. I should wait and see what its like in real snow on real pistes first before trying to assess your ability. If nothing else, you have the weather to contend with and steep slopes!

Thanks.

Now that is sort of reply that I expect to hear. Plake, take note.

As I have said earlyer, I am new to this. However I am moderst enough to say that I picked skiing up very quickly on the snow at Castlford, I can ski aggressivly and smoothly and Im looking forward to skiing the real real stuff. The purpose of me hitting these forums is to learn as much as I can.

I must say that here they are some very knowlegable people, very friendly and helpful. (I appreciate that it is difficult ot offer advice based on what people say) And to those people thankyou.

Shame one idiot dosnt seem to think the same as the rest of you. Confused

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 26-08-05 10:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Some folks are naturals. And I say this with NO sarcasm. I have seen folks who after 3 days of skiing are obviously going to be superb skiers. OK Renry, isnt by definition yet of a true high standard. But whose to say that after a couple of weeks and lessons thhat he wont be. If he is one of the lucky naturals then why not buy a ski that will last the test of time. No need to be nasty to the guy.
snow report
Renry, the reason for the cynicysm is that, despite what the instructor at Castleford says, you are very much a beginner - a keen one - but still a beginner.

It looks like you've had a few trips to Castleford (which itself is a very short green/blue run) and whilst I'm
sure you can handle it well, it just doesn't compare to the slopes on the hills.

As a comparison, I've skied for about fifteen years, I can ski with reasonable control/style down any flat run, I'm just OK in bumps but still struggle in deep snow and I think I'm about a high end intermediate. It isn't a criticism of you, but the instructor seems a little loose with his information and it's you passing this information on in good faith that has caused the comments.

Hope it doesn't put you off though. snowHead
snow conditions
Im not at all put off marc, in fact it is wetting my appetite more so for my trip to Austria. Im sure im not the first person who has felt like this, and certainly wont be the last.
The idea of me having the lesson at Cast' is because the group I am going to Austria with have all skiied abroad once befor, and have completed a full weeks lessons while there etc.
It has given me a taster of what is to come, and perhaps I am running befor I can walk.

As frosty has said, "some people take to it quite naturaly", and I honestly do feel that sums it up for me.
latest report
Renry, based on your experience, I would advise you NOT to buy skis.
If you are a natural, then perhaps after a few days on the slopes in Austria, and with the advice of an instructor there, you might want to demo a few skis out there.
My reason is that if you buy a ski apprpriate for your current level, you will probably find that after a couple more weeks on mountain that you'll want to move up to a more advanced ski. In that case, it's better financially to rent.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, It would appear that we now have a some good, friendly, clear, and concise advice for Renry, I would imagine that your post is exactlly what he was looking for. Renry, Patience is often rewarded on snowHead
snow report
ty
latest report
Renry, perhaps you've just had a bad day, or perhaps I have, but my post really wasn't supposed to be nasty - funny, cynical, sarcastic maybe, but it's nothing personal against you honestly. I've skied about 50 weeks since I was about 10 (I'm now 33) and have taught lots of people to ski, some have been real nautrals, some have been hopeless, and most of course in the middle. You may well be a natural, but I'm just saying what everyone here is saying - there's no way you're an intermediate/advanced skier yet, and you should wait before you buy skis Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy