Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What does Intermediate mean ?

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings Amigos

Pray tell....as a student is there a point at which one is generally though to have transitioned from Beginner to Intermediate, is there a phase you would term "Improver" or is there a certain technique/style that signifies that you are no longer a beginner and can justifiably call yourelf Intermediate.

eg: long and short radius parallel turns on varying terrain on green/easy blue pistes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=V1WyCiWhu5Y
Could someone grade my performence in this clip....quality is a bit rough......I'm in red (with quite thick skin so be honest plz)

We are off to Meribel for a week on Dec 16th YABADABADOO Laughing
Many Thanks
Franz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is rather a vexed question to be honest, I tend to view beginners as being people who are working their way through the snowplough progression towards being able to turn reasonably effectively (as in controlling their speed and line) on green and blue runs. In terms of teaching on an artificial slope this represents the progression from being a complete newbie to the sport to the point where people are typically signed off as being competent to ski without an instructor. On that basis I'm guessing (unless this is a trick question Wink ) that you are slightly beyond that level! Toofy Grin

To be honest though I think the whole beginner/intermediate/expert thing is, as I suspect you may have realised, a little imprecise. As a good guide I think you could do worse than taking a look at the levels on the Inside Out website (nice redesign there) which I think has a set of more useful levels. Based on those it looks as if you would be somewhere around Level 4/5 (which they actually do call "improver") although given your video was taken on a dry slope and many people are very nervous on dry, particularly if they are not used to it, your level might be slightly higher on snow?

Have fun in Meribel snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

although given your video was taken on a dry slope and many people are very nervous on dry, particularly if they are not used to it, your level might be slightly higher on snow?

Thanks awfully...very flattering Blush
This was us the week prior to getting soaked (although the rain improved the surface immensly)

http://youtube.com/v/H1QQQ3OGKXc&feature=related

Ciao for now
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer, There are a few fundamentals i would be looking to work on which will help you a great deal, but more importantly will allow you to get the most enjoyment out of your holiday.

Firstly, your upper body with your hands down by your sides does not help your posture, try to keep your hands forward as it helps your fore-aft balance. If you freeze frame at 02:49 on the first video you will get a good side view that represents how you are standing on your skis for much of the run. If you look your backside is well behind the line of your bindings which puts the weight towards the tails of the skis and makes them very heavy to turn.

On the same freeze frame at 02:49 you will see that you have no forward flex in your ankles, this again pushes your weight back, try and think about having a nice soft flexed forward posture on your skis. Thinking about having your shins just touching the front of the boot can help to keep some flex in your ankles but dont over do it.

If you can think about keeping your ankles flexed and your weight forward on the skis you will find your skis turn more easily.

If you do get your posture sorted you will not find you have as much pain in your thighs by mid afternoon on your first day. Look again at 02:49 you will see that your thighs are working very hard, which you may not notice on the short runs on the dry slope, but when you start to do longer runs you wil definitely 'feel the burn'.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you get on Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood, didn't watch the whole vid and have never been on a dry slope, but agree that it will help OP to get hands forward, which as you say will help get weight a little more forward.

franzClammer, You look like a reasonably confident advanced beginner to me with the potential to be considered an "intermediate" by the end of your next trip. Try what kevindonkleywood said, and take some lessons in Meribel.

For now, I'd also recommend to try getting your skis more parallel in between turns and in the flatter bits (and eventually during the turns). It might help if you stop at the top of a relatively flat section and then just point your skis down/parallel. You can do similar in a steeper section but point them more across the hill and turn uphill if you feel your speed picking up too much.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Intermediate means in the middle - halfway through your learning. To my mind that means skiing most/all pistes safely and competently.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Intermediate means in the middle - halfway through your learning. To my mind that means skiing most/all pistes safely and competently.

Thanks for the input Matt Smile Nice Blog by the way.
I Love the Llugwy in spate meself Going green
Good luck with the career path Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers - I should really get round to updating it but there's so much to write up from last year I just keep putting it off...

I miss Welsh boating, it's been a while since I was down that way. Mellte is a brilliant run.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franzClammer wrote:
Thanks awfully...very flattering Blush

I wrote it late at night, didn't want to say anything I'd regret in the morning Wink

BTW, I don't disagree with the comments since I posted but you are obviously able to ski recreationally without the support of an instructor - if I was pushed to be more specific (it's daytime now and I can think clearly) I'd say you were probably just a 4 on that scale I mentioned above. I'd agree with the comments above about areas you could work on to improve Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a little boy with brown hair and combat trousers who looks quite good in your video. Difficult to judge the guy in a white top because he is skiing with his kids so seems to be spending more time looking at them than skiing himself. Improver sounds like the right term though but I'm sure he'd be skiing blues and reds by the enf of a week on snow quite well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer, The above is good advice but i might expand on it. Rather than get your hands forward concentrate on the cause

More Flex in the ankles and Getting your hips more engaged and forward on the skis. Although getting the hands forward will help this it may not fix it if you ignore the other factors. In a number of your turns you break at the waist (Think of the bobbing bird toy).

First thing I would do is start skiing from that lower lift! Then you can concentrate on your technique rather than survival

kevindonkleywood, Is spot on about posture. in my opinion the two most important things in a skier are posture and movement if you get both these right everything else becomes much easier.

Happy skiing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes I can see what you mean about my stance....
We are booked for Intermediate lessons in Meribel with ESF (sorry BASI guys, I didnt know the difference)
Meanwhile I am about to book an evening weekend pass at Hemel.......Are there any specific Drills I could/should practice
Wow all this advice for Free
I love forums
Thanks guys

Quote:

There is a little boy with brown hair and combat trousers who looks quite good in your video. Difficult to judge the guy in a white top because he is skiing with his kids so seems to be spending more time looking at them than skiing himself. Improver sounds like the right term though but I'm sure he'd be skiing blues and reds by the enf of a week on snow quite well.

That's MY Bwoy.. Little Angel .taught him all he knows...he has had the benefit of my inexperience...lol
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franzClammer, Get in touch with the guys at inside outside skiing in Hemel Rob and co should be able to sort you
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, yes I'd echo Fattes13's suggestion. If you're going to go to Hemel anyway it would really be money well spent doing a session with Inside Out - highyly recommended. Contact them and they'll advise you further on possibilities http://www.insideoutskiing.com/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franzClammer, for what it's worth, your snowplough position is too wide. If your snowplough is too wide then you'll end up sitting back and find it really hard to get the skis parallel.

Here's a good model of what snowploughing should look like, from our very own steve_angus:

youtube.com/v/aY6mvXtKYKo

As a guide, you want your feet on just wider than hip-width.
latest report
Good advice about getting the hands/hips forward to get the pressure in the tips and make initiating the turn easier. I also agree to try to get your feet more hip width apart.

Once you've got that sorted think about where your upper body is pointing in relation to where your skis are pointing.
Just relax and let your upper body follow where momentum is pushing it. You should find the upper body points slightly outside the turn, following behind where the skis are in the turn. Think of the skis beginning to pull you round and the upper body simply follows a bit behind. This will make your skiing more efficient by using the skis natural shape to turn rather than involving the upper body.

Best exercise - flex and touch your outside knee with both hands as you start the turn. This gets your weight more on the inside edge of the outside ski and also encourages some upper body separation. Remember to extend back into a neutral stance in-between turns. Your flexing/extending should come a little more from the ankles and a little less from the knees.

Once you've mastered that exercise try skiing with the same movements but with your hands out in front rather than touching your knees. You can use this exercise for either snowplough or parallel depending on how you are progressing.

You look nice and confident and aren't rushing the turns too much and confidence is half the battle with skiing. Enjoy your holiday!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-11-11 7:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Firstly a MASSIVE thanks for all the advice & input so far...............I'm not worthy......lol wink

We have booked this Sat eve at Hemel.........I'd love to get some instruction there & appreciate the difference it would make to my/our progress.......
However having witnessed what this 1 weeks skiing is costing (Dry slope time & Salomon Boots & GoPro Hero cam & some warm kit).........The Mrs is now looking at Minks, Ruby Earings & Yoga Retreats in Goa.... Shocked is she mad....we could go to Whistler for that kind of money !!!
Skiing is worth every penny & more in my opinion, even being on a dry slope with my Son is paradise for me.

At the fridge we will be putting into practice all these FREE analysis you guys have offered & trialling the GoPro Razz , so will post an update with some youtube footage in due course.

We hope to get back to Hemel again before our Hols & if my next bullion heist goes according to plan we'll be involving Inside Out for sure.
Quote:

In a number of your turns you break at the waist (Think of the bobbing bird toy).

I take it that this is a bad thing?.............I'm not quite ofay with the jargon yet.
Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy