Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Noobs off to Serre Chevalier in Feb for first ever family ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Still pathetically over excited...

No such thing around here.

We booked our half term break a couple of weeks ago and my world weary boys (6 and 9 who have been skiing for three years now) talk about it every day or so, if only to remind me I promised they could learn snowboarding this year.

oh, and avoid Lidl gloves. We have pretty much everything else ski-related they do for kids and its all good value. It has to be as we are buying new jackets and salopettes every year as the kids grow.

Once you get really enthusiastic you will start checking the snow forecast threads. Best not to...... Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chemistry,
Great skiing area, so good choice. It's been about 15 years since I went, so my memory may be off and the area may have changed a bit, but I think a word of warning for a newbie with kids is in order:
Some of the last runs to the village are blacks and reds. When I was there, they got quite icy, so make sure to avoid them. However, there are blue and green alternatives, so plan your route and ask for advice.

15 years ago the village was very quiet at night, but the food was generally excellent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiingDad, 15 years ago Club Med was not built - they will come down with the Club Med Ski School and they will show them the easiest way back down to where the Club Med is and that is well away from the main routes that you refer to - though can be a bit like the M25 with every one coming down the same route back to Club Med and the Pontiallas lift - but they, like thousands of others will manage - they even bring the tiny ones down that route as well towards the end of the week, and many a time I've had to pick one up, shake them so their skis fall back into position and put them back on their way to join the group!

Busiest time at the Pontiallas lift is usually a Sunday when all the Italians come in large coaches but that is usually the Club Med transfer day - you just have to know what times to avoid the crowds - but like I've said they will be part of the Club Med groups anyway so all a bit irrelevant Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndrewBailey, SkiingDad, Weathercam,

Thanks for all the advice. I know we have a lot to learn, but we are all very much looking forward to the trip, which I hope will be the first of many Very Happy

Chemistry
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chemistry, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

My first ever trip was to SC and it still remains a firm favourite (been 5 times now). Last year I was back and also stayed in Le Bez, just opposite the Club Med place - thought it looked great snowHead Good location right by the piste for a gentle slide down to the Ponitillas lift. There's also a drag lift serving a beginner area there too.

There are plenty of beginner runs at the top of the Frejus lift (Pontillas lift up from Villeneuve and straight onto the Frejus lift - a chair). Nice, wide and gentle green pistes - great for learning on and a decent cafe/bar right there too.

If you're not too sure about taking a chairlift from the top of Pontillas, just above the Club Med (30m or so) is a green run that drops down to the Frejus lift, and this telecabin pops you straight up to the area described above. Simple Very Happy

Pistemap

I have skied at half term in SC and, whilst is was certainly busier at the bottom of the mountain in the morning (queuing for 15-20 mins), SC is large enough to absorb the masses without it seeing overly crowded.

As touched on above, the Bez red run down to the hotel can get busy and chopped up - recommend taking the Pontillas lift down (or the Frejust telecabin, though it is a bit of a hike to the Club Med hotel - 10 minute walk) until you're all a bit more comfortable/confident. It's not a particularly difficult piste, it just can get very busy and carved up at the end of the day. Just when you may all be feeling a little tired.

Le Bez is quite pleasant for a stroll around and the old part of Villeneuve is quite traditional with a bit of charm.

Have a great time - it's a fabulous resort snowHead

Fire away if you have any questions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur,

Thanks for the advice.

I have now excitedly reviewed the piste map even though I have very little idea what it all means (two lifts marked Frejus is confusing me for starters...)! No doubt things will make far more sense when we are there and we'll certainly be taking these notes/printouts with us on our trip.

Thanks again for taking the item to share your experiences of Serre Che and tips for how to get the most out of out visit!

Chemistry
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chemistry, Frejus is both a chairlift (which is the one Chasseur was suggesting you avoid) and the bubble lift which goes from the left hand side of Le Bez village as you look at the piste map. I think he was suggesting that you could take the long green piste back down to the bubble to return to the gentle slopes at the top.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells,

Aha - that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. I have a LOT to learn...

Chemistry
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, thanks Very Happy For the uninitiated, my rambling was probably a little confusing.

chemistry, again, have a great time - and just fire away of you think of any questions.....as you'll have seen, there are some Serre Che enthusiasts hereabouts snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Aldi Uk have not as yet had their ski gear for sale. This was discussed on another thread and someone pointed out that they had started selling in Germany. UK probably not far behind. From the German site I think that this year will be really good (I don't speak German so just looking at pictures). I have been using their soft shell ski pants for five holidays and they are great. Still in one piece too.

Here is a link to what you can expect http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/angebote_ab_mo-21kw4711.htm

That says that the stuff was supposed to be in store from the 21st. Went down my local Aldi here (Frankfurt) on Wednesday hoping to get a few pairs of those ski socks but none of that stuffs in yet Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur,

Another complete beginner question I admit, but.... having studied the piste map in more detail, I am wondering why anyone would take the Pontillas/Frejus chair lift option rather than the Frejus bubble/gondola option?

Seems like the Frejus bubble takes you straight to pretty much the same place, just insulated from the elements and without the need to change. However, everyone seems to take about the Pontillas lift as though it is the centre of the Serre Che universe, so I can't understand what I'm missing; is the Pontillas chair dramatically lift quicker (or shorter queues) or more conveniently located than the Frejus bubble/gondola?

Just curious!

Chemistry
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
...my bad, but I think I have just answered my own question as a more thorough Google search seems to indicate that Pontillas is a large gondola (followed by Frejus chair), whilst the Frejus bubble is much smaller.

I presume therefore that the that Pontillas gondola is just bigger, better and faster compared to the Frejus bubble lift option!

Chemistry
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chemistry, If you've not already seen it, this thread says that Aldi are now advertising their skiwear.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82754

As it's good value they often tend to sell out quickly, so if you and your family are looking to get some bargains it's best to buy asap.

Have fun anticipating your Feb trip!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink,

Thanks - had already spotted that but appreciate the reminder!

Chemistry
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's really nice to see some enthusiasm for Serre Chevalier. It's where I live and have lived for the past 10 years - I wish I could report that we were up to our necks in snow, but there really isn't much about at all at the moment, there will be plenty by February though. You will find the address of the Serre Chevalier blog that I run below, we update it every day and have done so for 3 years now, so if anything happens you can be sure we will report it there.
snow report
ricklomas, we have a very enthusiatic Serre Che contingent on here. Especially as we introduced 24 of them to the off-piste last March. So much so that it is spread over two weeks next March so more can enjoy it.
ski holidays
I went to the Serre Chevalier Club Med last season. It was a really nice hotel. Infact by far the nicest 3 star I have ever stayed in. Ski in/ski out for anyone other than a complete beginner. I picked CM as we had 4 beginners and a one weeker skier in the group so having everything included made it so much easier. All really enjoyed their lessons and really progressed. I got the CM ski hire as well for ease and god I was pleased. It made life so easy it was really worth the extra cost just to have it all there on site. The town is a trek or a bus ride so not ideal to get the hire stuff from.

We had no kids so can't comment on that but the kids did look like they were all having fun. No trying to find ski school meeting place in the morning. It's all there for you. You just need to register for everything like kids clubs and ski school. But you get well directed for this.

The food was fab. Standard stuff mixed with changes everyday. We had 11 in our group and my brother returned with another 30 later and everyone was just amazed by the variety and quality. The fruit juice was the only poor thing. All other drinks were great. Ski resort prices are usually ridiculous so having it all included saves so much I doubt you could have beat the CM price, although it looks high.

I did go as a kid to CM to other resorts when I was 8 and 9 and I remember having such fun. There was hardly any English kids but a lot could speak English so wasn't a huge problem. I liked being in the hotel with my ski group too. It meant any day friend were evening friends too.

Join in the entertainment. Looks a bit naff is actually quite fun. Especially with a group of you.

I also loved the ski area of Serre Chev. It really was a super ski area with lovely tree lined slopes.

Have fun. Very Happy
latest report
chelseafc,

Thanks for the info - very encouraging. Even more excited now...

Chemistry
snow conditions
chelseafc, said:

Quote:

The town is a trek or a bus ride so not ideal to get the hire stuff from.

Although I would agree with all of the positives put forward by chelseafc, I would not agree on the accessibility of local ski hire. The closest is on Chemin de l'Oratoire which is only 500m away. Along that strip there are quiet a few useful shops and banks. There is also a small well stocked supermarket and a Pharmacy. It's a nice walk and it is a good way of getting orientated.

I cannot remember what Club Med quoted for ski hire in Serre Che last year but in L2A this year they want £133 or 155Euro. Ski hire booked online with a local hire shop is £71 for intermediate ski/boots. That's a saving of 84Euro. For a group of four that's a saving of £288. That is a huge return on a very easy 500m walk.

It's a matter of preference and economics I suppose.
snow report
18 sleeps to go until "Operation first ski trip".

Off to Hemel tomorrow for some tuition & practice.

Very Happy

chemistry
latest report
The tension is building, the packing list is getting longer and longer, the daily snow forecast checks are underway, the weather forecasts nearly but not quite reach the day you arrive. And you start checking out the piste map and planning routes instead of working....

chemistry, Hope Hemel works out well. Don't forget that the falling over at the beginning encourages you to get better. Happy

oh and don't forget the trip report and photos when you get back.
latest report
AndrewBailey,

Thanks. I did 4 sessions at Hemel last Jan prior to an aborted ski trip. Was able to ski the main slope (very ungainly, but upright) with a mix of plough and parallel. Hopefully tomorrow will be a refresher to get me back in the swing of things and help stop me having to go rigt back to complete beginner status once I get to Serre Che.

In a similar vein, did 2 hrs for the kids at the Snow Centre (their first time on skis) earlier in the month - both can now slide along in a snowplough and bring themselves to a stop. They are thrilled and consider themselves full blown skiers (this enthusiasm, plus the fact they at least know what boots feel like and how to take skis on and off was what I wanted to achieve). My wife is off to Hemel with a friend next Monday for a learn to ski session with the same idea of reminding herself how it all works.

Alongside this we've had a personal trainer visit weekly for ski focussed hour long exercise sessions.

I'm hoping that we'll fall (no pun intended) into the 'reasonably prepared' camp as far as first timers go!

Now just the packing list to worry about like you say!

chemistry

Trip report will indeed follow...
snow report
Visit to Hemel yesterday to do (repeat) the 1.5hr main slope ready course was great - an excellent refresher and confidence boost.

In last 2010, over the course for a month or so I did various lessons there from learn to ski in a day, through to main slope ready. Unfortunately my inaugural 2011 ski trip had to be cancelled and so until yesterday I hadn't been on skis in over a year. Very nervous.

Happily, instructor Tony Nelstrop was great - very patient with us (group of 6), clear instruction, clear definition of what we were expected to achieve and plenty of actual skiing. I was particularly pleased that he made us practice skiing down in a series of small turns within a narrow lane - something I have always shied away from trying to do previously! Followed it all up with 2hrs of recreational skiing, trying to reinforce what I had learned.

Bring on the real stuff and Serre Che Very Happy
latest report
Can't believe I first posted on 15th November...now only three sleeps to go Very Happy

chemistry
ski holidays
What village in serre chevalier you staying in by the way??
latest report
tomb,

Le Bez, just by Villeneuve.

chemistry
ski holidays
Exactly where I stayed... I stayed in hotel frejus, just opposite the le bez bubble lift. It's a nice quiet area.

Do you have face masks for all your family, I reccomend them as it was bloody freezing last week!!
latest report
tomb wrote:
Exactly where I stayed... I stayed in hotel frejus, just opposite the le bez bubble lift. It's a nice quiet area.

Do you have face masks for all your family, I reccomend them as it was bloody freezing last week!!

We all have 'buffs', helmets and goggles - will that do or would you advise masks 'proper'?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chemistry, that should be OK.
snow conditions
I used a 'polar' buff and it just about did the trick, althought where i got warm skiing my breath would soak the buff and then freeze on the lift, which wasn't pleasant! I would recommend a proper breathing mask with air holes if you tend to overheat during excersise. Other than that, my OH had no issues with hers and I would think the kids should be fine too.
latest report
chemistry, you might need masks, but you shouldn't have a problem buying them locally (unless the unusually cold temperatures mean that there's been a run on them.....)

don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
Might not have a problem no but things are usually quite pricey out there... Just check the temp forecast for next week... It was minus 20ish when I was there and that was without wind chill NehNeh
latest report
tomb wrote:
Might not have a problem no but things are usually quite pricey out there... Just check the temp forecast for next week... It was minus 20ish when I was there and that was without wind chill NehNeh

Crikey! Forecast seems to be for -3 to -11, so hopefully not quite as brutal as when you were there. Will keep an eye on things and might cram in a last minute bit of shopping on Saturday if necessary.
ski holidays
Thanks to all for the advice and I promise to do a trip report.
snow report
tomb, I worked in the Hotel Frejus for a couple of seasons a long time ago. I haven't been back for a while - what did you think of the hotel?

chemistry, have fun! It was my first resort too and it's still very near the top of my favourite resorts.
snow conditions
alan empty, absolutely cracking... I went with a school group so the accommodation was perfect, the staff were helpful and polite and the food was stunning, it really made the week knowing you had a nice meal to come back to every night! Free wine too Smile
ski holidays
tomb, excellent! Nice to know it's still going strong. I suspect the standard of washing-up has fallen though Very Happy
snow conditions
Have a great trip. The slopes by the Club Med are lovely for beginners and it has been snowing loads so I bet the conditions will be great. We stayed in Bez village over New Year. The lift queue at the gondola can be a bit big, but it doesn't do too bad a job at shifting folks. If you graduate to the then the next chair up after that takes you into a fantastic bowl full of lovely green and blue runs.

Bez village is pretty to wander round. Villeneuve has plenty shops to amuse and as others have suggested, Briancon is well worth a visit.
ski holidays
As regards avoiding half term week, a move to Scotland can be beneficial!
Scottish schools usually have a different half term week, so you can get good last minute deals (although usually having to fly from Englandshire)

Not this year, though, unfortunately. Bit of a clash, so it's kids out of school for me!
ski holidays
All,

A quick post to say we had an utterly brilliant week on our first ever family ski trip.

The Friday when our instructor took me down my first ever red (Clot Gaulthier) and I skiied it (OK it wasn't fast or pretty, but it was all controlled parallel turns) was one of the best days of my life. Saturday, when we got to ski as a family and took our children up the mountain and skiied the long Barres green with them, brought a tear to my eye too.

Awesome, awesome, awesome stuff.

A full trip report will follow, but suffice to say that we are already planning next year's trip.

chemistry

PS. Club Med Serre Che was a great place to stay too - I even bumped into Snowhead Touchguru everyday! I recommend it without hesitation.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy