Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Noobs off to Serre Chevalier in Feb for first ever family ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
All,

A quick post to say hello to everyone and convey the fact that I am hugely excited by the prospect of heading off with my beautiful wife and awesome kids (6 & 8 yrs) for a week of skiing in Serre Che in Feb 2012. Dragging another family along with us too (wife's BFF & her hubby and kids).

I have been lurking on Snowheads for ages and have to say it has been really useful; loads of good information (or so it would seem!). Truth be told though, I am still wrestling with a few slight issues:

1. We are going in half term and I know it will be horribly busy. Groan.

2. We left it really late (i.e. now) and we've ended up booking with Club Med rather than arranging things ourselves and probably getting somewhere nicer for less money.

3. None of us can ski (other than some lessons for me at Hemel, where I eventually scraped 'main slope ready')

However, do I care? No I bl**dy well do not! Bring it on and let this be the start of many seasons together to come. Kids are even more excited than I am...

Yippeee!!!!! Very Happy

Chemistry

PS. Promise to post noob-style trip report when we get back...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-11-11 11:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs. Serre Chevalier is a great area - and if you're with Club Med, from what I have heard, you should be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chemistry, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

You and your family are in for great fun ahead (although your wallet might suffer)! Toofy Grin

I sometimes say to beginners that the first 3 days are usually the hardest - getting used to wearing the boots and skis, walking about up gentle slopes (before you've reached the stage where you can use a lift) and the frequent falling over and getting back up again can be tiring. However if you persevere past the first few days you'll find it all comes together, and once you get the sensation of sliding down a gentle slope and linking some snowplough turns most people are hooked! Very Happy

The only thing I'd say is make sure that your hire boots are comfortable, it's no fun if you're feet are killing you. If you have problems with your boots don't hesitate to go back and get them changed.

Have a great time!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 15-11-11 20:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thats a coincidence cause its my first ski holiday too, and im also off to serre chevalier as well! Only I'm going end of January just before the both uk and French half terms. I've been managing to get in 2 hours a week on a dry slope for the past 4 weeks and will hopefully continue to do so right up untill I go on holiday!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tomb,

Let's hope a good time is had by all! Enjoy.

Chemistry Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah definately, I'll let you know how the snow is when I return Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chemistry, I have never had to holiday during school break so I do not know how busy things will be. Club Med Serre Che is fantastic and it would be hard to beat it for value. All inclusive really means that you barely spend any money all week. Your children will, I imagine, love it. From what I observed the staff are very friendly and deal with kids very professionally.

Club Med Serre Che is ski in/out. Your family and you would really benefit if you all had some time at Hemel. Alastair Pink, made the point that it takes a while to get used to the very basics. It's nice to get all of that out of the way before you go.

Have you sorted out your ski hire yet? Club Meds equipment is very good but also very expensive. You can save at least 50Euro each by pre booking with a local ski hire shop. The closest to your hotel is Alphand Luc Sport which is an easy walk. The website http://www.skidiscount.co.uk/ uses this shop. There are quiet a few hire shops just a little further along the road but I cannot remember the names. As it is School break you should probably book in advance.

Enjoy. It's hard not to. Really beautiful place.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I sometimes say to beginners that the first 3 days are usually the hardest

But also tremendous fun!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chemistry, welcome to snowHead s
Expect to prioritise your holidays around the winter rather than the summer!
I started skiing relatively late too, but it was always soemthing that I knew I would love, and I have not been disappointed Very Happy
Stay excited!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All,

Thanks for the replies and yes, we ARE staying excited! Pleased to hear all the positive comments about Serre Che and Club Med.

Advice re. a bit of instruction at Hemel to cover the very basics make perfect sense and I will aim to book an hour or two at least for the kids before we go (we live in Bath, so it's a bit too much to trek there regularly - I don't want them to think skiing = hours in the car = misery). Even if the kids just learn how to walk in boots and stand on skis, it will be a start (and help them learn what boot fit should feel like, rather than have them be uncomfortable).

Annoyed to learn we could have hired kit much cheaper than with Club Med (in our haste we took the 15% early bird discount they offer and just booked with them). Should have joined Snowheads and asked some questions before we booked - doh! Still, will know for next time Embarassed

Thanks again to all.

Chemistry
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chemistry, you will have a wonderful time in Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chemistry, At Hemel you can do a course to get the basics done in a day, seems like a big chunk to pay out for all in one hit but on the other side of that it's very expensive to learn to snowplough on a mountain. Try to use Hemel or indeed a dry slope to get the basics covered for all of you, then when you get to your big expensive mountain you will progress at lightning speed and IMHO you will enjoy it much more.
Welcome to a new life, there's no going back now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ricfrench,

Thanks for the advice.

I have actually done 4 sessions at Hemel about a year ago in anticipation of a (subsequently aborted Crying or Very sad) weekend ski trip with three chums. I started with the 'ski in a day' which was excellent (I could snowplough down the main slope by the end, so was very chuffed) and went on to do three more sessions, ending up with 'main slope ready' in Nov 2010. Loved it all and felt that by the end I could indeed ski at a rudimentary level (i.e. could use the button lifts, steer, control speed, stop, attempt parallel turns, etc.).

My wife did a rubbish ski holiday in Bulgaria 15 years ago (no snow!) and hasn't skied since. Claims she never mastered the snowplough stop, let alone turn! Kids haven't skied at all (nor have any of the members of the family we are going with).

I think I'll probably book myself another 'main slope ready' class at Hemel as a refresher for me and then arrange a couple of hours of private lessons for my wife and kids together (as a one off), to help restore my wife's confidence and get the kids used to the whole boots/skis/snow thing at the most basic level. Not ideal, but I figure anything has got to be better than nothing.

If we call all go along at the same time that will be ideal and hopefully help build excitement (and confidence) ahead of the trip.

Chemistry
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chemistry,

One advantage of having the ClubMed kit is that you can change it everyday if needed - without leaving the hotel Very Happy

Kids should be well looked after and you should be able to have a great holidays. The kids need to be checked into Kids Club every morning. You'll come back to the hotel at lunch time and, obviously, at the end of the day. You can collect or leave the kids for lunch etc as you/they agree.

Food should be great (it normally is) - although it can be too good and you end up just wanting to eat something simple Madeye-Smiley

Please write a Trip Report as I'm going to the same ClubMed at the start of March
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chemistry, loads here about Serre!
http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/2011.html

I'm in a serious mediation so can't add much more at the moment, going with Club Med you'll have your own instructors in groups of around ten, you'll start off on the slope just in front of where we usually stay!

Will try and add more later waiting for the mediator to come back in with a counter offer!
snow conditions
One more tip I would give is - have good gloves, a couple of pairs per person (at least), for you'll find that you sometimes have your have your hands in the snow when you're starting! And there's nothing more miserable than cold wet hands.

And, if you want a change from skiing, on the one day I've skied in Serre Che, I saw that you can learn to drive a piste basher there. Now I fancy that Laughing

Enjoy the trip!
ski holidays
All,

All good advice/information I'm sure, and sincerely appreciated.

I remain pathetically overexcited.

Thanks,

Chemistry
snow conditions
chemistry wrote:
I remain pathetically overexcited. Chemistry

I think we all are.

Serre Che is a great place enjoy it! If anyone in your group fancies a break from skiing, the old town in Briancon is worth a trip on the valley bus.
ski holidays
One question occurs, about ski school for the kids...does anybody know how the groups will be set-up, age wise?

My kids are 6 & 8, and our friends' kids are 7 & 9...will they all be able to go in the same group (they are all beginners) or is there normally a 5-6 year old class, a 7-10 year old one, etc.?

Goes without saying that if the 6 year old finds he's in a 'baby' group and the other three are all together, he will be slightly miffed.

Chemistry
snow conditions
Just dont get put off when on day three your children are out sking you big-time...
Our now 11 year old started at seven, hated it day 1,2 loads of standing around but by day 3...
LOVE IT DADDY... Very Happy
latest report
chemistry, Just one more tip - I don't know if you're family are kitted out yet with all the necessary ski clothing, but if they're not Aldi and Lidl are often recommended on here for good value base layers, ski gloves etc. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Alastair Pink, thanks - I'd gathered that Aldi/Lidl were worth a look from a few weeks of lurking here. Will certainly be checking them out.
ski holidays
chemistry wrote:
Alastair Pink, thanks - I'd gathered that Aldi/Lidl were worth a look from a few weeks of lurking here. Will certainly be checking them out.

I think Aldi and Lidl got their ski clothing into their stores a week or two back. I don't know how long they keep their stuff in stock for, but it might be worthwhile visiting them sooner rather than later in case they run out of what you are looking for.
latest report
Alastair Pink, Aldi haven't had any in yet, I'm keeping an eye out for it, but I do believe Lidl's is already in store.
snow report
chemistry, Welcome to snowHead

I know nothing about Serre Chevalier apart from what I've read on here, but I would just add - be mentally prepared for your kids to very quickly be skiing better than you can Laughing
And have a lovely time snowHead
snow conditions
Lidl is already sold out of most stuff near me as it all arrived last week. Don't think aldi has had ski gear out yet, although I could be wrong Puzzled
snow report
tomb, check out T K Maxx as well
ski holidays
Yeah have done, nothing that I found extremely cheap for the quality, my 2 best deals so far have been a dare2b pitchpole jacket for £38 and a pair of helly Hansen legend pants for £40. The gear tkmaxx had for similar money didn't look nearly as good!! Matter of timing I suppose Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri wrote:
One more tip I would give is - have good gloves, a couple of pairs per person (at least), for you'll find that you sometimes have your have your hands in the snow when you're starting! And there's nothing more miserable than cold wet hands.

Top tip! It's lovely to have a nice dry pair of gloves to wear after lunch when you're learning.
snow conditions
Quote:

Should have joined Snowheads and asked some questions before we booked

lots of us managed our first holidays in the days before SHs and somehow we survived. It sounds as though you've made a really good choice in booking with Club Med at Serre Chevalier and I bet you'll have a terrific holiday.
ski holidays
Aldi Uk have not as yet had their ski gear for sale. This was discussed on another thread and someone pointed out that they had started selling in Germany. UK probably not far behind. From the German site I think that this year will be really good (I don't speak German so just looking at pictures). I have been using their soft shell ski pants for five holidays and they are great. Still in one piece too.

Here is a link to what you can expect http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/angebote_ab_mo-21kw4711.htm

In my opinion Aldi have trumped TK Maxx for value/quality for the last couple of years.

snow report
Just thought of something. Club Med do not provide Kettles/tea/coffee in the rooms. We always bring a kettle, some tea and plastic mugs with us. I just can't be doing without a kettle in the room. God, I'm getting old.

latest report
palumbex wrote:
Just thought of something. Club Med do not provide Kettles/tea/coffee in the rooms. We always bring a kettle, some tea and plastic mugs with us. I just can't be doing without a kettle in the room. God, I'm getting old.

My wife is addicted to tea - cannot function without it - so this advice is very much appreciated!

Chemistry
ski holidays
chemistry,

Hot water urns are generally in the bar area around tea time and post supper time for tea/cofees or from the bar outside those times. So only really worth taking a kettle if you want tea pre-breakfast.

"English" tea bags, on the other hand, are as rare as hen's teeth - Green tea, Fruit teas etc are always available.

Skitrack
snow report
An absolute must IMO is breathable ski clothing, not just waterproof. You're wearing these clothes all day, and beginners particularly I think alternate between struggling and so hot and sweaty and standing still and cold.
latest report
chemistry, as you might have seen from my blog I do sort of know Serre Che rather well - however what I failed to mention in my initial post was that I have done Club Med twice when my twin girls were 3 & 4 - we stayed in Avoriaz and Les Arcs - long time ago but I'm sure the Club Med concept remains the same - in fact my "local lift" (Pontillas) was put in as part of the overall Club Med development in Serre Che - so we often end up chatting with Club Med Brits when at / in the lifts etc

By staying at Club Med you probably will not venture out that much beyond the confines of the Club Med building - the building is actually situated in the village of Le Bez a good mile or so from the center of Villenuve - Serre Che is basically a long valley, circa 10 miles with four main resorts along the valley including Briancon.

You see loads of Club Med buses all over Serre so presume they will do excursions and the like to other areas or are simply picking people up who have ended up in other parts of the valley.

Your kids will hopefully be swept up in the fun - mine were too young and it was very French they were the only English kids and it was all a wee bit traumatic for them - but not that bad as we went back a second time!

If there's not a dramatic difference in size between the kids then they could well stick together - re clothing just buy sensibly - don't buy cheap Aldi / Lidl gloves for the kids - you get what you pay for - and kids will get their gloves wet!

Don't get swept up in the clothing hype - get a jacket that you and the family will wear in the uk - rest of clothing too can be worn again back home, the only stuff I don't wear back in the UK are goggles and trousers.

Merino is great as it does not stink - so you can get away with one pair of socks for the week should you so wish, in fact you can hand wash when having a shower after your day on the slopes and it will be dry for the morning - same for Merino base layers.

Are you driving or flying - as that will affect what you can and can not take - plus traffic will be bad!

Being French holidays it will be busy - though you guys will not notice it too much as you'll be able to bypass some of the queues as you'll always be with an instructor who have priority access much to the frustration of those that don't!

And for the first couple of days you'll be in one sector that does not get too busy. As for Club Med being busy, it always seems to be fully booked even in the low season - we can judge that by the number of cars in their car park and when they all pour out at 09:30 for their lessons - we always try and make sure we miss the Club Merdre rush hour Smile
ski holidays
Weathercam, thanks for the extensive info! I did check out your blog by the way - especially liked the dog blog sections featuring your Jack Russell (wish we could bring our Schnauzer with us skiing!).

Particularly glad to hear the kids will probably be able to stick together - the youngest is tall for his age and can pass for 7 easily, which would hopefully mean he would be able to be in the same class as his 7 year old chum.

Flying, so that will affect luggage we can take - in reality probably not a bad thing and we are generally pretty good at travelling light.

Looking forward to it and perhaps I'll see you there (I'll be the one fallen over on the nursery slope).

Chemistry
snow conditions
Another vote for two pairs of gloves or at least some method of keeping the hands toasty ALL day and not having the first experience tainted.

Also to note: when helmets first came in, my mate insisted his ten year old youngster wear one and planted it firmly on boy's head. End of day, boy admitted he'd had a great time but wanted to know when his ears would get used to the new gear. Aforementioned ears had been neatly doubled over inside helmet all day! (story now gets retold in the bar to the poor lad - who's now 19 - every season to much hilarity and checking of ear shapes all round).

And remember, the feeling of those first (2? 3? 4?) successful linked snowplough turns equals 10 100-foot cliff jumps by the gnarliest, beardiest, dudiest dude on the mountain. You/the family will spend the rest of your skiing lives and wallets chasing that rush. ( I believe the young people refer to it as "stoke").

You'll have a great time.
snow report
chemistry, If you don't fancy the trek to Hemel, then Churchill plastic ski slope is only 30 mins down the road from Bath. They have a separate nursery teaching area should you feel the urge for yourselves and the kids. Plastic is clearly not the same as the real stuff, but for just getting the feeling of having the equipment on and getting your balance will mean that you progress far quicker once in resort. Enjoy!
snow report
OMG - thanks to another thread on this forum (http://www2.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1842469&highlight=lift#1842469) we have now discovered the joys of "Kevin". My wife and I watched his efforts to get off the lift last night and laughed until we cried. Priceless. Laughing

We can only hope that we won't turn out to be quite that bad ourselves!

Still pathetically over excited...

Chemistry
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy