Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

He rides short shorts

Poster: A snowHead
So i've been toying with the idea of picking up something cheap and rockered for some Hemel fun. Not ridden a rocker before and was wondering how short I can get away with, been looking at 155/154 or so, but how low can I go? for normal mountain riding i'm hooning about on a 161 mid-wide, which is fast and floaty when it counts, great for big piste blasting and powder, neither of which are available in great quantities in HH.

So is my 154 estimate about right, dangerously low or laughably high.

Vitals are 5'10", about 12st, blood type: Gravy positive.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
at 5'10 and 12 stone you can go well below 155.... I'm the same stats and ride a 150 for park (artifact rocker), I probably rode it for 50 days on the mountain last season without any problems as well (bit twitchy at speed it has to be said!) But for hitting rails, boxes and small kickers its great)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will have to go have a trawl through the Internet Tat Bazzar.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you just going to ride it in a fridge, or do you see it as your possible normal scoot in the hills?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just fridge I reckon. Maybe a bit of a park outing if I can be bothered to lug it away with me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For your size and weight, the 'formula' would say your choice is about right.

But just a getting a rocker to ride in a fridge, IMO, is a pointless waste of time. 'Bothered to lug it away' says you need to stick with what you've got.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BCjohnny wrote:
But just a getting a rocker to ride in a fridge, IMO, is a pointless waste of time.

+1

You'll just look like a tw...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BCjohnny wrote:
'Bothered to lug it away' says you need to stick with what you've got.

Eh? Thought it was a simple deal - 2 boards, one for indoor twistyness, one for mountain cruisey blasts - something springy and poppy for the park, something stable and floaty for the steep and deep.

y'see I can't see the point of taking the big stick to the fridge - wheres the pleasure in linking up a couple of turns before another spud-popping ride up on the poma? For me, the best bit about the indoor snow is having access to the boxes and kickers, hence the idea of picking up a cheap used park-orientated board I can back bottom about on and maybe try to learn a bit in the process.

As for the rocker thing, I'm not fussed either way, i've always suspected deep down it's just a gimmick, i'm just toying with the idea of something smaller, and easier to press than the Triumph.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:
But just a getting a rocker to ride in a fridge, IMO, is a pointless waste of time.

+1

You'll just look like a tw...

Puzzled before moving to france last year I rode MK parks once or twice every week and i have to say i've no idea what your talking about. Why does buying a specific park board make you look like a bit of a tw@?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You asked if it's worth buying a rocker just for a fridge and I said, IMO, no. It's a different way of riding that to explore properly you need the type, and variety, of terrain that no fridge can offer.

Richard_Sideways wrote:
As for the rocker thing, I'm not fussed either way, i've always suspected deep down it's just a gimmick, i'm just toying with the idea of something smaller, and easier to press than the Triumph.

Tell me, how many days have you spent riding a rocker to come up with that qualified opinion? Or is it a sort of random preconception it's beginning to sound like?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ooh, right from the rhetorical question high-ground. Zing! Oh... my pride. rolling eyes
I have exactly zero minutes logged on rockered boards. But I've been looking at a couple of 2nd handers which were reasonably priced, shorter and softer than my current. They both happen to be rockers. If they weren't then the word 'rocker' wouldn't have even come up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, if your picking one up cheap enough (I've bought boards off ebay that have served several seasons) go for it. Makes total sense to me! Sizing wise, 155 you'll feel the quicker spin, shorter radial turn but in my opinon I'd try and convice you down to 150. I know it's a big reduction but if it makes you look at boards around 152/153 you really will have a all mountain board and a true trick board. Rocker ain't just for the park but for what you want it'll serve you well (nose-pressy, buttering shanagans?)!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a soft rocker board is sooo much fun, i I will always own one!! If you like hitting rails and boxes whether on a mountain or in a dome, it will put a smile on your face!!

I switch berween rocker, camber and TBT quite regularily and never adjust the way i ride....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now I just need to win the bidding war and sneak the board back into the house without the missus noticing...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm, got a lead on a 148 Solomonder too. Reviews say softer than the softest of soft things left out in the sun. Anyone with any experience of this beastie?
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Ooh, right from the rhetorical question high-ground. Zing! Oh... my pride. rolling eyes

Not a rhetorical question, just a straightforward on. You either know what you're talking about, from experience, or you don't, IMO.

From previous posts, your 'opinions' of rocker/banana/MT.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60599

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47396

I mention Magne-Trac because the vast number of MT boards made are rockers, so if you've never rode a rocker, chances are that you've never ridden that, either.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64775

Anyway, I'm out.
ski holidays
Nope, my boards all hailed from a time before the Innovation Revolution, my opinions have been built from reading, watching and YEARS of ingrained cynicism.
Your sage (if somewhat contradictory) advice has been filtered, absorbed and added to the pile (**SPOILERS** He likes his banana)
ski holidays
Nope, can't see any contradictions in those posts, just a few caveats.

I don't BS people, just speak honestly from experience. wink

Quote:
Nope, my boards all hailed from a time before the Innovation Revolution, my opinions have been built from reading, watching and YEARS of ingrained cynicism.

Yep, just as I thought.

So definitely out this time...............................
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Hmm, got a lead on a 148 Solomonder too. Reviews say softer than the softest of soft things left out in the sun. Anyone with any experience of this beastie?

yeah, its soft, not the softest out there, probably not quite as soft as say a WWW or artifact 1985 but none the less its still a noodle. its rumoured the board jed anderson rides isnt the same as the one in the shops so your presses wont be that deep Wink
snow report
Thanks cantridepete, and I think I can guarentee that any presses I do won't be that deep...
ski holidays
Well after being sniped in the final seconds of half a dozen eBay bids, i've landed myself a K2 WWW 154 - not super short, and needs a little loving, but should be good for a few poops and giggles doing laps of HH
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy