Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Air Canada ski baggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone flown with them recently? Their website says you need a hard box for skis/board?! I'm travelling with my snowboard and want to pack my Dakine material board-bag out with clothing as I've done for oh, the last 20yrs...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonnyrichards, Have flown with a soft bag on 3 occasions without any hassle from them.

Luggage allowance has changed this year i think its 23KG including skis etc, Couldn't see anything for a specific ski carriage charge on their page.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
they made me sign a waiver when i took an internal flight with them with a soft bag
NBD
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks for replies. I'll just try it and see what happens, I suppose.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was not a problem last year but bought a hard box last week just in case.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Phone them up. I did...and a Wheeled ski bag is fine. It doesn't need to be a hard box. 23 kg max. $70 each way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wheeled soft bag is fine, I fly with them frequently.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just phoned them up and they're saying that you can only have your board, boots and helmet in the wheely bag - no clothes.
Does anyone know if they enforce this? Surely as long as it's under 23kg then it'll be fine wont it?
I want to stick my snow gear in there of course and to be honest I wasn't planning on taking another bag, so it would have all my clothes in there.
First trip to Canada, don't wanna be stung with a massive baggage fine - HELP!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Baza, if you get caught out you oculd always buy a cheap soft holdall at the airport
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers holidayloverxx, I think I might just pack a soft duffel in there with it all and then if they want to be d!cks about it I'll just repack it in front of them. Thanks. I guess if I sweet talk the clerk enough then hopefully they'll just let it slide Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wrap your Ski Clothes around your skis and Poles. As long as it's under 23 kg they won't worry. I also phoned and was told this was ok.
Tbh...Air Canada really do need to sort their Customer service out. Speaking to India, to people who don't understand English is not the way forward.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, chap I got was Indian as well. Figured he was just reading the comapny line off a sheet of paper. I always wrap my board in my snow clothes anyway to protect it from baggage chuckers. Should be sweet this time around as well.
Never have this trouble going in and out of Europe!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some good advice. I also pack clothes around ski kit but also put bubble wrap around bindings.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having just returned from my trip, I can report back that with United Airways and with Air Canada, there was no problem whatsoever with loading my bag up with gear. Wrapped my board in a towel, loaded in my snow clothes, snow socks, hemlet, goggles, boots, toiletries, sleeping bag, toolkit and some clothes - 18.5kg in all - no one even questioned it.
US customs cut open my padlock and went through my bag however, but that's not the airlines fault.
Nice to be back in Europe though, off to France on Wednesday with Swiss Air and I'm allowed a snow bag AND another bag up to 23kg!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Used the search function and found this thread and also this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85638

Got a couple of queries and don't fancy my chances calling a service centre in India so thought I would try here first.

3 people travelling UK to USA on Air Canada in economy.

If my understanding is correct we are entitled to take 3 x 23kg hold bags, 3 x 10kg 'standard' carry on bags and 3 x 10kg 'personal item' carry on bags.

We can take skis as one of the 23kg hold bags at no extra charge or could book them as an extra bag for $70CAD each way. The bag can hold multiple pairs as long as it is under 23kg.

If we take skis then we are also entitled to take 1 boot bag each and they do not count as an extra bag.

I have a few questions:

Does the weight of the ski boot bag have to come out of the overall 23kg hold allowance or is it in addition to this?

If we were to book the ski bag as an extra bag and pack it over 23kg but under 32kg (say we take 4 pairs of skis) then do we pay the extra bag charge of $70 CAD each way + the overweight bag charge of $100CAD each way or just the overweight charge?

Can we also take a child car seat for free? The wording states

Quote:
On itineraries where a 2nd bag fee applies:

A child restraint device (e.g. car seat) may be carried in checked baggage, over and above the regular allowance for an infant or child up to age 12.

On itineraries that allow 2 free checked bags:

A child restraint device (e.g. car seat) counts as one checked baggage item, unless an approved device is required onboard for seating an infant or child up to age 12 in his or her own paid seat.

I am right in interpreting this as if they give you two free bags then you must use one of them as the car seat if needed but if they only give you one free bag then you can take a car seat in addition and at no charge?

Just trying to plan most effective use of the allowance! Thanks for any info Smile
snow report
Worst airline I've ever dealt with for lost baggage. Lost my skis on a 50 minute internal flight from Vancouver took them 2 days to deliver them - I could have driven to vancouver and back to collect them. Customer services were crap - different people gave me conflicting info about where the skis were (on a truck, on a plane, don't know!).

No compensation, no apology.

I'll fly Alaska on same route (Vancouver - Kelowna) next time.
latest report
telemarky, thanks for that, i will keep my fingers crossed then.
snow report
Sorry just realised this is in Snowsports so won't get much traffic. Re-posted on to a thread in the Piste for visibility. Sorry, I know it's not right to post the same thing in more than one sub-forum, happy for mods to move/edit or whatever as necessary. Thanks.
snow report
Airline fees continued to rise as well as charges for luggages. Well, that’s the reality of life, as time passes by almost everything continued to increase especially the primary needs of every individual. This is an additional burden for travelers especially those who carried a lot of things.
snow report
Anyone been with Air Canada recently? They're still saying you have to use a rigid ski bag on the web site and customer services when you call to book ski carriage, but they're obviosly just reading from the same web page when you call...

So anyone travelled with them recently, is a rigid ski bag enforced..? and if it is, any recomendations?
snow report
It is not enforced. You may well have to sign a waiver if you have a soft bag but the couple of times I have used one I have never had any sniff of 'refusal to carry' or similar nonsense.
latest report
Thanks Si... and I was thinking Skis are pretty rigid anyway Very Happy and so I might just wrap a bit of bubble wrap and cardboard round them too... Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy