Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm socks for cold feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Do have cold feet......freezing......

For the past 3 seasons (since I started skiing) I have been wearing socks from Aldi. They are fine no probs. I always went skiing mid March. I am off 2nd week of January and believe it will be colder than March.

What do you guys suggest in terms of good (very good) thermal warm ski socks????

Help is appreciated....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two things. Smartwool socks I find are warmer than the others I've tried (especially cheaper socks made from plasticky fabrics that make my feet sweat more)

Second thing - make yourself some of these http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71767 if you get cold feet in January with these on then you are not human. You don't need to send me any money for my patented invention, but if they do work, I reckon £2 in the nearest RNLI pot is fair for all my hard work Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redbaron51, Aldi over here in Germany are offering a smart stuff and silk sock next week, along with a lot of technical stuff - 5.99 Euro a pair. Maybe you will get them in the UK as well soon.

BTW that is Aldi-Süd (southern Germany)

If you go to the UK site you can sign up for a newsletter I believe and you get notification in advance of what is coming in!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get some cooking foil, cut some to foot size, take out inner boot, place foil shiny down on bottom board of boot, replace inner carefully, more toasty feet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
redbaron51, Aldi over here in Germany are offering a smart stuff and silk sock next week, along with a lot of technical stuff - 5.99 Euro a pair. Maybe you will get them in the UK as well soon.

http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/2867_29965.htm, the idea of a polythene colon sounds odd though. Blush
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
make sure they are thin. also make sure they have some merino in them... keeps you toasty, don't smell after a weeks use and are generally hi quality.

there's been a few threads on here over the past few seasons about socks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
merino wool from whatever brand
cooking foil will rip too easily (even the thick stiff from lakeland) but you can get foil tape which works really well for sticking to the base board of the boot
palau or intuition liners are very warm liners if you need to go down that route
therm-ic boot heaters as a last ditch option

the other thing to make sure is that the boots are not too big, if they are you will be trying to heat the dead air space around your foot with the heat from your foot, this is a bit like trying to heat a one bedroom flat with a candle.

also make sure the boots are dried out properly each night, damp boots in the morning is one sure fire way to cold feet all day long
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevev, that's what i thought which was why I didn't mention it! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks all for your very helpful replies......Solution given by Monium seems fantastic....I must say that I also like to DIY, however factoring time, finding a wetsuit in a charity shop, etc I believe £30 for a pair would work out well for me....

I have also done a quick search on merino's socks and might go for a Teko Ski Pro Ultra light.

I was meant to buy my pair of boots this summer, but didn't. Therefore will hire a pair again this season, unless I find a decent deal for a beginner.

Thank you all so far...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
redbaron51, you may be better going for the light cushion or even the medium cushion if you are renting boots, the ultralight whilst a great sock for a fitted boot is very thin and won't take up any space at all in the rental boots it also has less wool in it so less warmth
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
redbaron51, you may be better going for the light cushion or even the medium cushion if you are renting boots, the ultralight whilst a great sock for a fitted boot is very thin and won't take up any space at all in the rental boots it also has less wool in it so less warmth
Thanks for the info.....wife will kill me when I tell her it is £18.95 each........realllllyyyyyyyy expensive.....I hope it does the job
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This may seem really obvious and Im sure you have realised this, but make sure your boots are dry before you put them on... If they are slightly damp from skiing the day before then I find my feet get really chilly quickly, and I don't normally suffer from cold feet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've found Smartwool socks spot on (merino wool I believe) when snowboarding.

I mountain bike in the soaking wet and cold UK a lot and have a few pieces of Merino wool kit and it stays warm when damp and generally are great gear. I'd recommend any thick merino sock should do the job.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi As I suffer from Raynard syndrome I have to have very good socks and have tried natural and man made fibers. I used X Socks last season and kept my feet warm I also use their cycle socks for mountain biking. Not the cheapest but well worth the money. They also enable you to feel the ski better IMHO.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy