Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AC Joint Separation - dislocated collarbone

Poster: A snowHead
So, I've got a grade 2 AC joint separation according to the doc at A&E. Nothing can be done apart from rest and, after a couple of weeks, some physio.

Seems odd that I have a bone sticking out but the medics don't try to put it back.

Anyone got any advice on speeding up recovery?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ow ow ow! Skullie Get better soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No advice, only the question: how the hell?

And speedy recovery vibes, of course.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, Decided to go rugby training with the colts this morning, a straightforward tackle ended up with me landing on my shoulder with a fairly hefty youth as a passenger.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jzBun wrote:
Zero-G, Decided to go rugby training with the colts this morning

Ah, that's where you went wrong. I thought they were an American football team wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jzBun, I've got a grade 3 on my right hand side so between us we have one decent pair of shoulders. I broke my back in the same accident, and I was very worried that I would not get back to climbing and skiing - VERY worried. In fact it's been fine. I considered reconstruction on the AC disruption and went to Ian Bayley, who is the best in the country - he said it was best not to reconstruct (steel wires through shoulder blade, or sewn ligaments) since it could fail catastrophically when climbing. So after I was passed fit (about 4 months) I started back on the climbing wall and took it slowly. Surprisingly, it was OK, and as long as I went slowly in terms of progression back to my previous level, I was fine, building up the muscle to protect the joint. I am a weird shape - quite a bit bumpier than you - but bearing in mind that most american and russian ice hockey players have two grade 3 separations, it really is fine. So....your question...how to speed it up...don't go too fast, but build up the muscle progressively and it will be fine.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2, Thanks for that. Everyone I've spoken to has said pretty much the same thing. No point in having surgery, it will be fine in a few weeks, work to strengthen etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fully agree that a bit of time and building muscle to strengthen the joint is sufficient. I used my shoulder as a bumper in a motorcycle accident a long time age. I was back climbing in a few weeks, and carrying an expedition sized rucksack around the mountains shortly after. I opted not to have surgery either to reconstruct or remove the end of the collar bone which cases pain - the surgeon wasn't confident that the outcome was worth the traume. I find that prolonged load carrying can be painful but overcome with a bit of ibuprofen. Skiing is no problem though - the issue there is lack of practice!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

it will be fine in a few weeks hmmm...jzBun, I did the same thing a couple of years ago in the 3V and it has never recovered properly even though I had BUPA physio for weeks after - the bone points out just like yours. I get an aching in my shoulder if I hold the right arm up for a long time - for example if my arm is extended when driving a long distance I have to occasionally just steer with my left hand and let the right arm flop down onto my lap for a while. It's no big deal but there's no guarantee it'll recover
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TonySmith, ...interesting... when I did mine, the consultant said 'brilliant, you've really broken that badly (grade 3)...' I thought he was taking the P&&* but he explained that the further the bone are apart, the less crepitus there is (bone on bone movement) which is what causes the pain and discomfort. I find carrying big packs a pain sometimes, since they press the bones back together again....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plake, ,,,actually that does sound like poor muscle bulk and tone. Without the ligaments, the muscles have to do a lot more work - so building up the muscle would help. I think.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jzBun, I did that years ago in similar circumstances. It just kind of sorts itself out when you start training again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I actually did this skiing, and work in A&E so have some insight. V.Rarely this is operated on. You'll have to live with i although it is not a big issuet. Physio is the only treatment (other than sling/ice/analgesia initially). It may be uncomfortable for up to 18 months.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure my grading however after 21 weeks still not healed, i'm expecting to be told it'll need plating sometime in the New Year
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a grade 3/5 separation (categorizations are not consistent - complete rupture of AC and CC ligaments) following a motorbike crash pn track in 2001. Looked much worse than yours. Had a hook plate put in (I think the wire repairs often fail) and taken out due to impingement a couple of years later. I have some muscle imbalance, and a lightly lumpy clavicle where the plate was, but my shoulder is 95% recovered - playing tennis and skiing no probs. (Thank you NHS.)
snow conditions
I did mine in a powerboat accident years ago. If the dimwits at Plymouth Royal Naval Hospital had given me better instructions about looking after it initially it would have healed a lot quicker, took 18 months to settle down. The droopy shoulder/arm hanging off is a lot less pronounced than it was and I have managed to do the Devizes Westminster canoe race in less than 20 hours since so it can't be too bad Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy