Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Sierra Nevada A Realistic Option?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title says, is it an alternative to skiing in the alps? It has 100km of piste, resort base of 2100m, skiing up to 3300m and ample red runs which looks ideal for what I'm after. I'm used to skiing the PDS/Avoriaz so size of the ski area is the biggest difference but other than that, is it a decent alternative to the Alps? With flights from Manchester to Malaga in January for less than £40pp return cost wise it looks like a bargain. I've been looking at the snow record and it's looks outstanding. I would be going in January so it will be cold but hopefully also sunny. So, all these plus points, why isnt it sold to us as a viable place to go skiing to? Am I missing something huge here which is the reaon people don't really go? If not, this season I think I will be givin it a go.

http://youtube.com/v/mxYDlC-dHB8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think you're missing anything, there's lots of places which aren't "sold" to British holiday makers which are great for skiing or other sorts of holidays.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a regular lads trip to Sierra Nevada and it became a bit of a tradition but we ended up moving on due to a combination of bargain flights becoming a bit harder to come by and, the main reason, you tend to have a good chance of either losing a day on the slopes or end up with a hopelessly restricted day due to high winds.

There are plenty of runs to go at for beginners and intermediates but if we are looking for more I'd look elsewhere. There is a main funnel back to the resort that gets busy with hoards of fully laden Spanish army squadrons and out of control beginners - there is a way to avoid it but essentially all runs eventually end up at the same place. On a weekend, including the last Friday morning we were there, I've seen a mile long queue for the main gondola. There are now two faster gondolas but don't count on the operators being in any rush to let people know if one is not in operation. Once you've got up the mountain the queues aren't usually too bad if you stay away from the main beginners areas.

I wouldn't totally discount the chance of going again but it would have to be at a price that justifies the risk for me. If you do try it out you could well be lucky and get a full weeks skiing but if not there is the plus side of Granada to explore if the slopes are closed... I would say that's the best plan - if you go plan not make a full week on the slope and combine with a bit of sight seeing (maybe even a trip to the coast).

That all sounds faintly damning but we did enjoy our trips there. I would advise, if you don't mind driving up the mountain each day, to stay on the outskirts of Granada, e.g. Monachil. The supermarkets are a tonne cheaper and fully stocked and you can get into Granada for a bit of life if you want it - we found that the resort itself only comes to life during the weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, Does the outstanfing snow record include them hosting the '95 world ski championships - or not due to lack of snow Toofy Grin

Sierra Nevada used to be in many TO brochures, combining ski and beach holidays. Obviously not as popular destination as it used to be.

For me theres only one Sierra Nevada I'd ski Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I've been looking at the snow record and it's looks outstanding

Ricklovesthepowder, I have make season there,, and I can promise you that the "snowrecord" is from the gullies, im sure you can find the same cm of snow in the gullies in scottland to,, but is a nice area for beginner and intermediates skier,, for me the area is more interresting for alpine touring normaly from feb to mid june, Sierra Nevada skiresort is also very crowdy specely weekends,, anyone that have ski in Spain can confirm how spanish are in liftsques and so on,, and just smiling about skier without control,, januari can also be very windy, and they closed the lifts, all skiing is over the treeline as you can see on the skimap, but its nice to have been there, but not to see it as a alternative to the Alpes or the Pyrenees
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy