Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl advice

Poster: A snowHead
Have decided to go to Obergurgl for march does anyone have any good hotel and ski school recommendations

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good choice!

I used to rep/ski host there for Inghams - it was 14 years ago but I've been there a few times since and I don't think too much has changed.

Ski school is excellent; all day Sun to Fri but fine to book single days or not a full week. Ski school usually runs a touring day Thursdays if conditions right. Top class often goes off-piste a lot.

Stay at the Edelweiss if you want to be around other Brits. Very central and a fantastic ski room from where you can pretty much step onto the chair lift. Great pool and lovely bar and lounge areas. Most hotels veer to the traditional style, but facilities, rooms etc generally a very high standard. Most of the four-stars have good spa/pool setup as well as mountains of great food and a high standard of room. Most of the hotels are covered by Inghams and I think Crystal has a few as well. It's hard to go wrong in Obergurgl's hotels.

Location: around the Edelweiss, in the 'main' part of town, are the Jenewein, Gamper, Josl, Wiesental, Mathiesen and Madeleine. Up a little hill, about a five-min walk away, are Olympia, Alpina, Austria, Bellevue, Alpenland, Bergwelt and Gotthard (and one other, can't remember name). The other end of town (which is the first bit you get to as you arrive) used to be the Deutschmann but I think that's changed name; the Crystal, Haus Gurgl (b&b I think) and the Hochfirst. These are near the Festkogl telecabin. From the hotels on the hill you can ski out of most of the doors either to the chair lifts (Edelweiss end of town) or to the telecabin (Deutschmann end). There are a few along the road in between the two ends of town; Lohmann apartments and hotel is one of the few contemporary style places. Having said all this about the three areas, the town is pretty compact and it only takes 10 or 12 mins to walk from end to end.

BUT there are also tons of b&bs that are ignored pretty much by UK tour ops. This is where the most budget-conscious Germans go - they get very booked up as they have tons of regulars. I usually self-cater in Apartments Broser (Edelweiss end); great value if you fill it up; great views through floor-to-ceiling windows and very central. Then you can eat out where you like - and go to the great apres at the Nederhut (M, W, Fr on the mountain) and go to night skiing (Tues - don't miss this, it's fab) without having to miss your hotel supper.

I believe there are now some catered chalets in Obergurgl - does anyone know about this?

BEWARE of staying by mistake in Untergurgl, which was rebranded a few years ago to become part of Obergurgl, but is definitely not: there's nothing wrong with the place, but it's not part of the main bit of town - it's about a mile away, which complicates things if you want to do apres in Obergurgl. Hochgurgl is also nearby, very nice hotels there but not convenient for apres and it's basically just a collection of hotels.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
matt23, plenty of nice hotels in Obergurgl. The Edelweiss and Gurgl is the main hotel and certainly the best located Obergurgl being right next to the Rosskar lift and Hohe Mut gondola. The Jennewein is next door and just about as convenient. I always stay at Pension Hohenfels, a B & B close to the Festkogl gondola, much cheaper than the big hotels but it all depends upon your budget. There's only one ski school in Obergurgl so, no problems there!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Learned to ski there. Have very happy memories of Obergurgl and the ski school. Max was our teacher, a real character. Nederhuette was great for après ski as was the Schirmbar by the Edelweiss, one of the hotels that mountainmaid mentions. Felt like a real achievement skiing down the Gaisberg to reach it. Also remember turning the car 180 degrees on the way back from Hochgurgl despite having snow chains. Viel Spass!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MountainMaid, beat me to it! Most people think of Obergurgl as being expensive but it doesn't have to be if you stay in a B & B like the Hohenfels. Few brits stay there but I prefer it that way and the owners are very warm and friendly. I'll be back there in March of next year, booked a while ago.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pjd, I learned to ski in Obergurgl too with Seppl who has a farm at the entrance to the village. I'll always remember being amazed at the way he could skate effortlessly up hills - I love the place. Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 13-11-11 4:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kelskii, keep on meaning to go back. We sometimes fly into Innsbruck for the weekend but mostly jl seem to end up at Stubai for the convenience. Determined to get back to Obergurgl one of theses days !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i think ski total have a chalet-style place there now, we were gonna go a couple of seasons back......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dunno about ski lessons but when I was there (2007 or 2008) I had two days snowboarding lessons and was told they didn't have anyone that could do group lessons in English. Wasn't an issue for me until I had to translate for a Brit who hadn't been told the same as me, and had expected the instructor to at least speak some English. That was with the school (IIRC) next to the doctors/pharmacy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went a few years back with some friends as I thought it would be a nice place to try and get the missus into skiing (and failed). We stayed at the Gamper which was absolutely outstanding. The skiing is very tame, but I had a brilliant day with a bloke called Mario from Hochgurgl ski school. When I said I wanted to go off piste he was like a kid in a candy shop. I lucked in big time not only was he an awesome skier, I don't think I've ever skied with anyone better, but he was at the final stages of completing his UIAGM so he was the complete package. It's the kind of place you can still find powder 10 days after it snowed, I never saw another person off piste when we were there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It sounds amazing. Can't wait. Thanks for the info guys. Really helpful
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Danielle was the name of our instructor , she was absolutely fabulous ,spoke excellent english and was so patient. Obergurgl is great , we returned year after year . the Apres ski in the Nederhutte is a must . Enjoy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re Catered chalets, Ski total have the Christophorus which is in next to the piste at the Feskogl end of town, stayed there a few years ago and it was fine but it gets mixed reviews on tripadvsor http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g608674-d1231292-Reviews-Chalet_Christophorus-Obergurgl_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html Esprit also have two chalets very near Chrsitophorus but unless you have kids you are probably better off in a hotel. They are all pretty good, The Edelweiss is in a superb location and is very nice but has extended year by year and has lost a bit of its charm, it does tend to now attract - dare I say a lot of pretentious old school/old money set. Wiesethal is worth a look, the rooms are very nice, if you want a more contemporary hotel take a look at the Josl. Dont miss the Nedderhutte apres ski, some of the best in the alps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
everyone talks about the E&G (Edelweiss und Gurgl) but the Jennewein is smaller and much more personable (I've stayed in both). Josl is good for ultra modern hotel and spa does not take children under 16. Hochfirst and Berwelt are best hotels in the resort.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, thanks all for the excellent comments. I would like to find out how much skiing is available in Obergurgl, and whether it is linked to Hochgurgl? It seems like a great resort for a bunch of beginners and intermediates.
snow report
Anyone been to both Obergurgl and Cervinia, and able to compare them for a January ski trip?
ski holidays
Yep Obergurgl and Hochgurgl are linked, take the gondala between the two. Also Solden is available on the Same Ski pass, athough you will need to take the free ski bus to make the journey down the valley to solden.
Its been a good few years since I skied Cerevinia, Skiied Hochgurgl/ Obergurgl/ Solden in easrly Dec 11. From memory Cervinia and the gurgls are quiet similar, not massive areas, all intermediate grade. Cervinia gives you the opportunity to
ski Zermatt, gurgls give you the opportunity to Ski Solden.
Found a nice 3* hotel in Hochgurgl, litteraly ski in / ski out, good sized rooms, easy access to lifts, easyb access to toboggan run, - Hotel Sport Ideal
ski holidays
Thanks Bob, just seems like a nice spot that has that authentic Austrian skiing feel with some good-old apres-ski, (which is sorely missed in Italian resorts), but not over the top like St Anton. It also seems to be very fairly priced.
ski holidays
Just picked up this thread. Had an excellent week in Obergurgl recently. Stayed at Crystal Sportiv with Inghams, lovely hotel with superb spa/pool/gym etc. Best ski and boot room ever! Right next to Festkogl gondola and can ski back down a fairly easy red or on a blue, taking a short nursery drag to get just above the hotel. Easy runs in both Obergurgl and in Hochgurgl which is linked by gondola. Lovely snow and long cruisy runs, even if there aren't that many of them. Worked well for my osteo-arthritic knee - nice gentle skiing in the morning, lunch, a bit more skiing in the afternoon then down to the pool and spa for a couple of hours. Saunas and steam rooms were great therapy - but nakedness was rigorously enforced in the main area! Going back in a month!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy