Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walkie talkies; legal in France?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

At the end of the day neutrinos have little to do with walkie talkies which this thread is about

Entirely agree. I just got fed up being told that "nothing" can pass through mountains and that neutrinos need a hole drilled through the rock. Can be educational, a little thread drift. wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cstreat,
Assuming you'r still reading this thread.... I've been using a cheap pair of NTL radios I bought for about 50quid maybe 7 years ago from Dixons. They still work fine, despite having been subject to a level of abuse far higher thany they were designed for. They're frequently cold, wet, both, and move between hot and cold envts and vice versa.
Whilst I'll be taking a cheap nokia for emergency cover in my backpack, i won't be taking my 400gbp smartphone out on the hill...

Anyone who thinks you 'look like a twerp' because you use some kit, IMHO, is not be reasonable (and I'm being polite).
The usefulness of radios increases exponentially with group size, and the number of times I've re-grouped a group quickly and easily (and at zero cost), has more than covered the purchase cost.

Cross-talk from other groups can be an issue, but has never been insurmountable (provided you have one of the sets with the sub-channels, but anything other than the cheapest PMR's will have these now.)

The other useful feature is that 'press to talk' will often work with gloves on, through a jacket pocket - so when you go AOT in the powder, you don't have to worry about digging out a phone as well, and risk losing that too.

I'd follow valais2's advice.

cheers
h.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to correct some of the dubious physics going on here: neutrinos will pass through mountains and virtually anything else you care to mention. That is why they are so difficult to detect and why places like Super Kamiokande in Japan were built. This is probably not useful as a communication method unless you can carry 50 million litres of water round with you, thousands of extremely precise photomultiplier tubes and a small power station to power it all. You'd then be lucky to detect more than 10 or 20 neutrinos over the course of your weeks skiing.

If you got hit by a very intense beam of them you wouldn't experience fusion, you wouldn't experience anything at all. They would pass through you and carry on as if nothing had happened. I wouldn't like to say the same if you got in the way of the lead ion beam of the LHCb experiment, that could get messy.

Radio frequency is a whole different ball game as photons interact with matter much more than neutrinos.

saikee, The 'torus' you refer to is probably a fusion reactor not a particle accelerator, while technically a torus a particle accelerator doesn't use toroidal magnetic fields to contain the beam, just beam guides which keep it centred.

Phew, I knew all that time spent at university would come in handy one day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Must confess to having pulled a couple of birds in in my younger days, they were in the neighbouring hotel, all started with walki talkie mis comms Shocked

So yes they have their uses!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
allanm wrote:
At the end of the day neutrinos have little to do with walkie talkies which this thread is about.

Not so. More than half this thread has now been devoted to neutrinos. Which go through mountains like hot knives through butter - or you through beer. And you were wrong, there is no hole for them.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
James the Last wrote:
Not so. More than half this thread has now been devoted to neutrinos.

Yes, What terrible thread drift, nothing to to with the OP!

James the Last, Please accept my sincerest apologies as I eat large portions of humble pie, I did indeed forget about neutrinos.... He he.. livened it all up a bit though Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 20-12-11 19:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

There is no hole going that whole distance

exactly. I know nothing about nuclear fusion but I do know that nobody built a 454 mile tunnel to fire those neutrinos through. Goodness me, chaps. rolling eyes Am I the only one, when that news broke a while ago, went to google maps to see where those two places are!!!!

They just saw you were a woman and assumed you didn't have a clue what you were talking about.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So when I used my (US bought) Motorola MJ35OR in Austria last year I was doing something illegal? Oops my bad! I seriously didn't realize that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
farlep99 wrote:
So when I used my (US bought) Motorola MJ35OR in Austria last year I was doing something illegal? Oops my bad! I seriously didn't realize that.

If it has a CE mark and is also sold in France, likely not. If not, possibly.

The R&TTE Directive pretty much lumps all of EU together for radio products (like wifi) but the French, being the French, like to find special rules that make all manufacturers jump through hoops to comply. Even for common products (like wifi, where their indoor/outdoor rules I think are different to like, everyone else).

I don't know if anyone is sure frankly about personal use and import once purchased abroad. Sales of a non-compliant radio would definitely be "illegal" / non-compliant, and presumably fines/sanctions could be imposed. I doubt it's a criminal offence to be using a non-compliant radio, unless maliciously (e.g. To disrupt aircraft tower equipment risking life, or near hospitals... Etc).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy