Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Who uses one? How do you find it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, I have a Dianese armour jacket that works as a mid layer and I don't know I'm wearing it, I also have a nice cheapy M/C one from Lidl (meets EN/EU standards) that's lighter and easier for casual use and again, I don't really notice it until I land on it. If you're planning on skiing or boarding outside your comfort zone, I'd recommend one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

easier for casual use

What, you go to the pub in it? Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use one from Forcefield and dont notice i'm wearing it (use it for the motorbike too)

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catRef=222284
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anyone tried or know anything of these :
http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Demon-FLEX-FORCE-PRO-Spine-Guard-Protector(6375).aspx
http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Demon-SHIELD-Spine-Back-Protector(6324).aspx
http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Demon-SHIELD-HIGH-Armour-Vest(6165).aspx

(sorry can't get the URL's to work with the parantheses)

In particulr how they compare with the Dainese ones which I understand to be the best available but with prices to match.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always wear a back protector for motorcycling. Mine is a Knox one - a British company and very well regarded in the biking world, plus a fair bit cheaper than the likes of Dianese.

Just been to check out their website and found they now do a range of gear for snowsports use - http://www.planet-knox.com/product_ski.htm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Dainese Nextwave is great. Light, well ventilated & no problem if wearing a backpack. Totally unobtrusive.

Get their Impact Shorts Plus as well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mine is a backpack with a shovel in it...

i do have forcefield shorts for crashing after i hit slalom poles if that is what you are thinking about....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, that is what i have, contemplating getting the shorts too. Brought on by a small crash in the gates! Though it was my knees wot got hurt...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, glad you started this thread I'm interested.. The last season I skied prior to having my son some idiot crashed into me from behind, I was stationary at side of piste at end of day (about to go into the Hennustall in Zermatt Very Happy actually). This guy just came careering down the side taking out loads of parked pairs of skis and me just as I was taking off mine. Anyway result was a very sore backside which persisted for ages. I went to GP at home after a few weeks as it wasn't settling. Xray confirmed fractured coccyx. I posted about it on here at the time and got lots of useful suggestions snowHead Fortunately it did get better on its own with time and its fine now but I remember it was bad for weeks? months? and just when I thought that's it this is how it's going to be forever it did get better. My Dad has recently suffered the same injury following a fall from his bike and he has been the same weeks and weeks. So anyway I am considering some sort of bum protector and wondered if anyone had tried this Azzpadz thing?? I am not sure about the leg straps doesn't look very comfortable but then neither was not being able to sit easily for 3 months! http://www.azzpadz.com/order/order2.htm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, POC Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 23-06-09 18:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I am considering some sort of bum protector and wondered if anyone had tried this Azzpadz thing??

I can hear it now...... "does my bum look big in this??" Yep. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the ice perv, For that 'touching cloth' look or 'can you see my turtle's head?'
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Laughing

At £43 a go, you might as well go for full impact shorts sarah.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, thanks you're right think shorts will be more comfy than those horrible looking leg straps Shocked I will look into shorts.
ski holidays
what layer of clothing do you wear yours over? Base?
snow report
beanie1,
Quote:

what layer of clothing do you wear yours over? Base?

I was wondering this and thought maybe if I get the shorts then I might be ok to go with wearing just the shorts and no other base layer on legs?? Or maybe knees will get cold Puzzled
latest report
I wear my boxers under my impact shorts, then salopettes on top. Altho the "Superman" look does have its merits!
ski holidays
sarah, no no no . . . straps are fine . . . in fact more than fine . . . zips and buckles are nice too . . . and studs, don't forget studs . . . sharp pointy ones on leather . . . mmmmmm blaaack leather . . . straps

ooooh Shocked back to where I started wink
ski holidays
Aegix gear is quite popular among the Big Mountain Competitors in the US.
http://www.aegixgear.com/

Tyrone Shoelaces from Epic is a sponsored skier, seen in this video doing a face plant around 3:15
http://store.mobilerider.com/flash/player/index.php?vendor_id=104&video_id=3905&ignore_popup=1
ski holidays
FWIW, if you want to see some of the info and feedback from the Squaw Big Mountain Competition, there is a thread on Epic Here.
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=66857
ski holidays
Started wearing a back protector last summer as planned to get back into dryslope freestyle for a bit... and promptly tore my deltoid and was outfor 5 months within 40mins of first wearing it! Got the Demon one that's also got a few bits of chest padding on it, and it's light and easily forgettable when on the hill. Their impact shorts are ok n'all, useful for dome freestyle especially as everything gets ridden off so quick and the base is bulletproof hard pack at MK.
latest report
I too use my motorcycle one (Knox)

Many motorcycle shops offer competatively priced armour. A good start may be http://www.hein-gericke.com/ who are throughout europe
snow conditions
I bought one of these http://www.slytech.it/english/2ndskin.asp on an impulse buy before trip this year. It was very comfortable. Smile (but not cheap) Sad
I must be on a safety trip, also bought a helmet at last.
snow conditions
after fracturing my spine three years ago i started wearing the Head TH10 vest and cant fault it (except for the sweating)
snow conditions
beanie1, are you thinking about this for slalom or off-piste skiing? If the former, I see plenty wearing them, but I really don't see the point. I take plenty of falls, but have never landed on my back - and don't really see how you would. Elbows, knees, shoulders hips and head, yes - been there, done that and got the protection for all those bits (Dianese hip and coccyx shorts, Forcefield shirt with elbow and shoulder pads, and shinguards which of course cover the knees). And for general skiing I always wear a backpack, which has provided all the protection I've needed.
ski holidays
GrahamN, I've landed on my back before - depends how high in the air you get flipped! Agree though, that they're more important off piste.
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
beanie1, are you thinking about this for slalom or off-piste skiing? If the former, I see plenty wearing them, but I really don't see the point. I take plenty of falls, but have never landed on my back - and don't really see how you would. Elbows, knees, shoulders hips and head, yes - been there, done that and got the protection for all those bits (Dianese hip and coccyx shorts, Forcefield shirt with elbow and shoulder pads, and shinguards which of course cover the knees). And for general skiing I always wear a backpack, which has provided all the protection I've needed.

my spine protector cost £40 if i had been wearing it when i fell i would not have been in agony for 9 months (and still have to take pain killers after ski-ing, 3 years later).
you can fall/ land awkwardly and do serious damage anywhere ,i was lucky and only had 3 fractures it could have been a lot worse.
If you have spent all that money on protecting non vital areas ,whats another £40 for you're spine.
anyway it makes you invincible ,and when you stop for lunch and remove your jacket you look like a member of a swat team...lol.
wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think a back protector might be my net purchase. I don't really need one as I'm only in that category where people describe themselves as "advanced" but would almost certainly be classed by any knowledgeable fellow as a top intermediate...

Anyway, I've recently got a decent helmet (a POC Skull Light XP) and since my 26 years are catching up on me and I don't bounce like I used to a bit more protection might be in order. Plus, I'm overdue my quarter life crisis and a season of instruction with a smattering of freestyle training might be on the cards. I'm torn between:

Dainese Core Jacket Out

POC Torso Armour Jacket

Forcefield Extreme Harness Adventure

Forcefield Action Shirt

Like I say, it's certainly more than I require but I doubt the bulk will effect me and whilst I haven't had a bad spill in years I figure why not. I do like to hoon it about and have been convinced by mates to throw myself of things I clearly can't land and do plan on being taught how to get better.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above or have any other recommendations? Will they interfere with the coccyx protector in my Dainese pants (which is removable)? The plan would be to wear over a skins compression top and under a Loki Levity shell. A problem might come in proper cold when my layers might not fit over the protection..?

Also, I get the impression that layering protection would be a bad thing. For example, would it be bad to wear something like an Aegix A1 Jacket (which was on sale from amazon for $75 and bloody sold before I could get the address of an american mate... balls!) with other upper body protection? I guess the fit would have a lot to do with it but somehow I think they might contra indicate as it were.

Bit of a ramble I know but any help would be graciously received.
latest report
Thanks a lot for suggesting. It is really good. I have tried.
latest report
POC
snow report
sneaky wrote:
anyway it makes you invincible ,and when you stop for lunch and remove your jacket you look like a member of a swat team...lol.
wink

I think you have mixed up the 's' and the 't' at the end there sneaky.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
POC

And here I was expecting a thread

Women with PrOtected Coccyges in salopettes in french toilets - what do you know?
ski holidays
So SMZ, I'm guessing that POC suggestion was aimed at me. I do like my POC helmet but care to elaborate?
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
beanie1, POC Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

malk No, SMALLZOOKEEPER was just copying me. Laughing
ski holidays
A new back protector has been developed for horse riders, based on the car air bag. It's a slim fit back protector that inflates if there's an accident.
ski holidays
erica2004, wouldn't be long before I inflated it Very Happy
ski holidays
stay home, lock the doors, dont let no-one in, dont touch nothin, much safer
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
A new back protector has been developed for horse riders, based on the car air bag. It's a slim fit back protector that inflates if there's an accident.

Can't see how this works for skiing or boarding - the protector has to inflate before impact so presumably has a release trigger - there are plenty of ski falls where triggering would be OTT but on occasion when you are sliding over a rock band on your back its very useful IME.
snow conditions
Realize this is an older thread, but I just had a rude, hard fall on my back and head a couple of days ago. Snowbowl, Flagstaff, AZ, USA with nominal 36" base had lots of scattered rocks, stumps and wood poking through the "packed powder". Just finished making a parallel turn to the left and was not carrying very much speed, when my outer downhill ski edge caught on a light colored small stump. The downhill vector of my right ski's speed was reduced to zero as my body continued to "highside" downhill over my skiis. I slammed onto the right side of my back and my helmeted head violently hit the icy hard-packed snow. As I lay there assessing body status I noticed quite a bit of dried grass coming up through the 1" of snow that had "cushioned" my fall. Result - painful rib/back muscle pain. My shoulder and upper body rotation caused groin/hip muscle pain. Skied on down and hiked to car. An hour later walking was tearfully painful with extremely sharp groin, hip and rib/back pain. Remarkably, three days later the groin/hip pain is almost gone. My doctor said the remaining rib/back pain would probably last several more weeks. (He also said one should always have these kind of rib/back injuries checked out. Actual broken ribs can puncture lungs and damage nerves - leading to paralysis.)

I know if I had not been wearing a helmet I would have had a serious concussion or worse. Wondering what sort of back protection was available led me to this excellent site and forum.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy