Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Kendo or Movement Jam? Update: now bought!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I've been researching my first pair of skis, was nearly all set on the Kendos and the then the Jam caught my eye.
I like speed on piste but wish to do off piste too, going to st. anton in Feb. and plan to do all the marked offpiste.

But bearing in mind, this lift served off piste usually isnt there in other resorts (only exisint in between pistes) and I mostly ski with my brother who isnt as adventurous as me and sticks mostly to piste so far, but will follow me just about anywhere, Im wondering which would suit ski would suit my profile best for the future and not just now.

Most recently I have skied a bit of powder in Banff on crappy rossi avenger 76 carbons on 154cm skis...... managed alright.

My last rental was Vist superfront 2 152cm, 70mm at the waist...animal ski! for the piste only though.

Im 163cm as far as I know.... will have to get measuring tape out to be sure and 53KG..male 32 yrs old. Like to try it all , skiing aggressively.
My concern is the Kendos are available down to 163cm and the Jam's 164cm, would these be too long?
What binding would I get with either ski? Would a Marker Griffon be okay, would Marker squires be better for my din setting requirements/weight?

I know the Kendo has same construction as the vist ski, the Jam one all of its own.
Kendo sounds way better for piste (the race construction) speed and precision!, jam better for playing around on the piste, switch skiing (I'm starting to do) and park ( I do a little bit) and off piste( I wanna get stuck in).

What are your thoughts on all this?
Many thanks for any responses, I dont want to make a mistake, even though I'm pretty sure I would be very happy on either ski/binding combo for the next few years.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-12-11 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
earlyapex Once you've got them you won't know what you missed with the other ones so it doesn't really matter. The Kendos (which I have) are not really twin tips so, as you say, are not made for switch or park. But they are fine for the occassional foray onto the jumps etc. They are a good compromise between piste and off piste.

Be realistic with yourself. If you are going to spend more time on piste than off (as I do, skiing with the misses and others) - get the Kendos for their better stability. If you are wanting to do tricks in the park (real ones not just the odd pop over a ramp) - get the Jams.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
earlyapex, on the Movement side of things, then the Jam is a really good and very popular ski over the last few years. On piste it is pretty good and off piste its OK but it is setup much more as a piste ski than an all mountain ski.

To confuse things, you should look at the Source, much better off piste ski than the Jam, and on piste unless your an out and out expert you would not notice. The smallest Source is 169 which skis at about 160 or less on piste as it has an early tip rise

On the bindings the Squires are a very light binding, but also very different to the Griffon on the tail section. At your weight and height the Squire would be a pretty good first option, I think you may struggle getting he Griffons back on off piste in powder because of your weight being pretty low.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are indeed fairly light, so that would mean a low din setting. Go for the squires, because you ideally want to be in the middle range of a binding's din settings. The top and bottom of the ranges are not as reliable and if you have to set a spring too loose, you could put yourself in danger.

As for the skis. Go kendo, as they are more suited to your needs. Like Tiger2 said, unless you are doing loads of proper tricks in the park, the Mendoza are the better bet. And at 163cm length, you will have plenty of float for your weight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only tried Movement Jams in the MK snowdome, but was impressed with their 'on-piste' performance. I'd say this would be a great all-round performer and would take you off-piste in relative comfort. Build quality of Movement skis is excellent too and they are pretty light which should suit you. On length 164 should be fine at your weight. My wife skis Movement Spicys at about that length and she's under 55 kg.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all your replies, my concern with the marker squires was that i had read elsewhere that they were just crappy plastic and should be avoided.I did read that I should be +2 from the lowest setting or -2 from the highest. Being that my din is usually 5.5 , the squire at 3-11 range should be fine. So the build quality of it is good?

As for the skis, there were a couple of votes in there for both of them......hmm, decisions are tough.
Just glad the length isnt a worry.
I usually like short/medium turns on piste cause they are crowded but on open area would open them up. So the jam at 16m sidecut versus the 18m kendo...would that 2m make a big difference in its feel for me?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
earlyapex, Not sure about the Marker Squires, but the Griffons are also plastic but still pretty robust. I've done over a hundred days on a pair of Griffons with no issues at all and they still look good. I don't see much point in going for heavier bindings unless you are seriously charging or taking big air. To put it in perspective I'm 85kg and ski fairly hard and never felt the need to upgrade from Griffons. I'm sure the Squires would be fine at your weight.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BLATANT PLUG ALERT...

Probably too long for you but I have a set of Jams (182cm) for sale in the classifieds section.

Reason for sale is that I tried the Scott Venture a few weeks ago and love them. The Venture's worth considering. It doesn't feel like it's 10mm wider the Jams. I tried the Kendo as well but found the Venture a lot more responsive and fun.

Sorry for plug and possibly adding confusion!
Gary
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, so I have bought the Kendo and got Griffon schizos mounted on them, but when the schizo is set to 0cm, my boot center is at +2cm on the ski, so in order to get my boot midsole over the bootcenter mark on the ski, I have to set the schizos to -2cm.

I bought them from xspo.de and after querying this they tell me that there is a special Volkl mounting point on the deck for the schizos which is why they are mounted this way.
It leaves me with adjustments of -1 to +5cm from the boot center reference line on the skis, I though it would be -3 to +3cm.

Are anybody else's schizos mounted in this way?
Now I know it doesn't make a massive difference as I can adjust the mounting position easily but does anyone think I would ever want to adjust rearwards greater than the -1cm I'm now limited to?

Thanks for helping me purchase my first set, I'm delighted with them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy