Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to prevent cold feet?

Poster: A snowHead
The heated in-soles I use are by Thermic, and like Hotronic have three heat settings. I don't use the hottest setting as the battery expires too quickly, but settings 1 and 2 are useful. They don't really give a sensation of warmth for your feet, but there is enough heat to stop your toes from going cold. If you want that 'warm as toast' feeling I suggest staying in the hotel bar by the log fire.

The in-soles can either be direct replacements , or small pads which are glued to the bottom of your exisiting in-soles (useful if you've had custom footbeds made). I fitted them myself, with the aid of a sharp Stanley knife. The batteries clip onto the back of your boots, and you are not aware of them at all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll give the standard remedies that I give to my students re cold feet;

1. Wear thin ski socks. I realize it's counter intuitive, however thick socks seems to cut off circulation.
2. Purchase footbeds from a reputable bootfitter.
3. Buy a boot dryer and use it nightly. I cannot describe the number of students I teach on holiday who have damp wet boots by day three. An inexpensive bootdryer can be purchased and packed in a suitcase for travel.
4. Wear one pair of socks to the mountain in street shoes and change into ski socks at the mountain. In addition spray your feet with an anti-perspirant. Dry feet are warm feet.
5. Loosen boot buckles on chair rides.
6. On cold days take frequent breaks. Ski for an hour and warm for five minutes. On really cold days avoid early runs. Never remove boots to warm feet. Feet will swell and it's tough to get boots back on your feet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rusty Guy, I don't agree with 6. Obviously, as both of us teach we have similar problems. In France we often teach 7-8 hours per day with maybe a short break for lunch (½ hour if you're lucky). I've always found that the ONLY way to get my feet warm again in 10 mins if to take off my boots are massage the feet until warm. Then hold the boot under the hand drier in the loo so you don't put your feet back in cold boots.

Many people have told me not to even think about working in Colorado as it's so cold, but last winter we had 7 weeks when it was -20 every morning at 09.00 IN THE VILLAGE! I now have 3 toes that have permanently reduced circulation (as opposed to 1 before last winter), and most days during that period my core temperature dropped so I was hypothermic by 17.00.

the links are great folks - I'm going to get heated insoles for next winter - just in case!!! I might also have to get heated socks and gloves, boot socks etc....... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski wrote:
the links are great folks - I'm going to get heated insoles for next winter - just in case!!!

A good choice I think. Given the length of your skiing days you might want consider an extra pair of batteries as that is the one weakness of heated in-soles (other than forgetting to put the battery on charge!).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the subject of cold feet the critical thing is to avoid moisture - which means making sure socks and liners are absolutely dried out every day. If possible never leave your boots in the boot room (unless they have boot warmers) or in the back of the car etc. If you have to leave boots in the boot room then at least take the liners out and take them to your room overnight.

On the subject of socks, moisture (from sweat) is the main contributor. A few years ago when I was in Canada it was in the minus 30's and there was much debate in the day lodge on the cold feet issue. Many of the locals would bring a fresh pair of socks and not put them on till the last minute in the day lodge, plus have a spare pair to change into at lunch time. They also recommended wearing the thinnest socks possible - I think it is to get the snuggest and most consistent fit possible. I even heard of somebody who wore no socks at all and sprayed his feet with anti-perspirant, but that seems a bit extreme. However I think quite a few locals use talcum powder on their feet to combat the moisture issue.

Finally, I invested in a couple of Merino wool thermals and cannot fault them - I can wear them next to my skin for up to a week and they genuinely dont get too smelly, whereas if I use a manmade thermal like a Helly Hansen or Patagonia Capiliane I'm luck if I can wear it for more than a day without being embarrased about the smell over lunch!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry - I completely failed to read the second page of posts int he thread! Apologies for any repetition as Rusty Guy seems to have already made some of my points!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dry clean socks, remove your boot inners and dry/warm them carefully next to the radiator, a decent warm windproof hat. Nice dry warm gloves (mittens are even warmer) and a good breakfast. Also lots of walking, particularly uphill before you ski should thoughly warm up all your extremities !

Not sure whether hangovers and alchol remaining in the blood stream would lead to cold feet ? Probably wouldn't help.....not that I'm suggesting you're an alcholic or anything.....just need to cover all angles. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When i used to play a lot of football and it was cold and wet I used to put vaseline or petroleum jelly on my toes to keep them warm. Kicking a wet heavy ball with cold wet feet is extremely painful.

When i started skiing I had very cold feet on the first day. Used the petroleum jelly on the second day and have never had cold feet since. Interestingly since converting to a snowboard I have nto used the petroleum jelly and have never had cold feet.

Maybe soft boots keep your feet warmer than hard boots?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ashton parker, Aren't snowboard boots a little less snug than ski boots? Vicks vapor rub is meant to be good for chilblains.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
Rusty Guy, I don't agree with 6. Obviously, as both of us teach we have similar problems. In France we often teach 7-8 hours per day with maybe a short break for lunch (½ hour if you're lucky). I've always found that the ONLY way to get my feet warm again in 10 mins if to take off my boots are massage the feet until warm. Then hold the boot under the hand drier in the loo so you don't put your feet back in cold boots.

Many people have told me not to even think about working in Colorado as it's so cold, but last winter we had 7 weeks when it was -20 every morning at 09.00 IN THE VILLAGE! I now have 3 toes that have permanently reduced circulation (as opposed to 1 before last winter), and most days during that period my core temperature dropped so I was hypothermic by 17.00.

the links are great folks - I'm going to get heated insoles for next winter - just in case!!! I might also have to get heated socks and gloves, boot socks etc....... Very Happy Very Happy

I thought all europeans took a two hour lunch! Madeye-Smiley

My place in the mountains is above the town of Fraser which has a prominent sign on the outskirts of town billing it as the "iceberg of the nation". I'll also add it was 33 degress/ I guess that's about 1 or 2 degrees on your scale this morning so it won't be long before the Aspen's turn gold and snow arrives!

Yes Coloradao can get chilly, however......drum roll pleeeeze.....it's a dry cold. Puzzled
I hate that expression.

You are certainly correct that many folks can remove boots and do fine. I've simply experienced one too many instances when feet became visibly swollen and customers could not get their boots back on their feet. I ski in a Doberman and on cold days I have to warm the boot for an appreciable time period prior to getting it off my foot.

If you are getting cold in the afternoon I'd get a group of fellow instructors together and ask for a better uniform!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i bought heated insoles with battery pack last year, which of course guaranteed that instant change in the weather from -15 to +15 in about a week. However, the first couple of days were hopeful, and the pads worked well (should do, at the price) though it takes good organisation with the batteries as they don't last a whole day, even on the lowest setting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rusty Guy, It's dry cold here in the alps too. What's a doberman (apart from a breed of dog)?

I've been doing this for 30 years, and I've suffered through most of them! Actually I got frostbite when I was 14 (race trainers are cruel people) and my circulation's never been the same since! Seriously though, I know a fair number of teachers who suffer badly, and we've all tried everything anyone can think of. I reckon if you're a cold person and you stand outside for hours at a time in below zero temperatures, it doesn't much matter how many layers of what etc. At the end of the day, when teaching we don't exert any physical energy to speak of at all.

BTW I work for myself and buy the best I can find in the way of gear. My ski trousers are 3 sizes too big on purpose!!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, it's a Nordica race boot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I got frostbite skiing at Rusty's resort a few years back!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks - race boots - brrrrrrr! Frostbite's nasty isn't it? Were you able to articulate when the circulation re-started? I can only remember dreadful pain and fingers the size of sausages (the big ones). Bright red (better than stone white though!) Sad
latest report
easiski, there was a tiny gap between my goggles and my face mask on one side, and it caused mild frostbite on my face. It looked like a massive bruise for a couple of months.
snow report
easiski, I've had the white stone fingers. Substandard gloves, with inferior filling+rather cold temps. Was chucked out of ski school, and told to return with new gloves. My fingers did warm up again, but the feeling did not return properly for around 3 days.
snow conditions
snowbunny, When I was 14 .................... no-one had invented gore-tex or thinsulate or any good stuff like that. Leather gloves then. I didn't even realise my fingers were frozen until much later, didn't realise about my toes until I took my boots off (leather boots too). Now, if it's very cold my toes go in the first half hour, then it hurts for about an hour and then I don't feel it any more. Very Happy Very Happy

I must love my job!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
easiski, Well, Thinsulate's properties can be over hyped. Mine were Thinsulate!! I went and paid loads for a pair of Reusch gloves. They were great, ski school let me back in and the gloves lasted for years. I took the 1st pair of gloves back to the store and got a full refund. Now I usually carry a pair of glove liners in my backpack, and I always buy gloves on the large side snowHead
latest report
snowbunny, I suffer from cold hands even in England and wear gloves from autumn to spring, but I find a closely fitting glove much better at trapping the warm air. So much so that my mountain bike gloves are warmer than a pair ski gloves that I was given.
I buy ski gloves 1/2 size to small so I get a very close fit and my hands are as warm as toast even on the coldest days. Although, this works for me it might not for others.
latest report
davidb, Great stuff, works for you and the opposite works for me- so how did we all get from feet to hands Laughing
ski holidays
snowbunny, I'm with you. I buy Hestra gloves half mit half glove which are the warmest I've found (they also have a fleece glove liner) + I wear fleece inners + silk inners as well - on occasion I wear 3 pairs of fleeces gloves - works well so long as the outer ones are big enough!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Louis, You've had so many replies that I gave up reading halfway down and skipped to this reply. I would endorse the quality sock comments, look for a pair with a high (40% or more) content of Merino wool (must be Merino). 2 pairs of socks is good for blisters but if your boots fit correctly 2 pairs will be too tight and stop circulation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy