Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to prevent cold feet?

Poster: A snowHead
In really cold weather I do suffer from very cold feet esp. my toes, they really burn! Any advice or help on how to keep the feet nice and warm?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well fitted ski boots and heated in-soles for really cold temps sorted out my cold toes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you wear on your head?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Louis, I wear gym socks under my main thermal sock seems to work for me wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Louis, I have dreadful problems with cold feet (and can't, of course opt out). I found that thermal inner boots are a great help. Buy really good socks - wool and silk. Also you can get a space blanket and wrap the hard insole of the boot shell in it. that reflects a fair bit of cold back down and heat back up. I did find some gel insoles which you could freeze/heat like a regular gel pack, but have never been able to find again. If you see them let me know! they were very thin and fitted well on top of my regular insoles. You can get heated insoles with batteries, but I don't know how well they work. don;t do your boots up too tight, and take them off at lunchtime or any breaks and massage your foot. You can hold your boot up to a hand dryer in the loo, and also your feet (if they'll reach).

Top tip for warming up cold feet/toes: stand on one foot with the other in the air, knee at right angles; make a fist and beat the top of your (lifted) kneecap as hard as you can. YOu'll feel a vibration in the foot and it warms up more quickly than any other method.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Louis, American skiers - particularly east coast, where temps are colder than the Alps in mid-winter - take a keen interest in this subject. You might want to research suppliers of battery-heating systems, heat packs to slip inside your boots, or exterior boot insulation (neoprene outer jackets).

Have a look for mail-order suppliers out there. A good ski shop in the UK can supply some of this stuff, too.

It's very important that your boots are fully dry in the morning.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aspirin .. thins the blood therefore it flows quicker and takes the coldness away from your foot quicker.
Sounds good in theory........... Smile
I suspect Kramer will shoot this one down Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear a hat.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
Aspirin .. thins the blood therefore it flows quicker and takes the coldness away from your foot quicker.
Sounds good in theory........... Smile
I

Well I've take aspirin every day for the last nine years (since the bypass) and I still got cold toes in Tremblant (but is was very cold ~ -25C). Oddly enough this happened on the first run of the day but after a hot chocolate stop with the feet out of the boots to warm up I had no problems for the rest of the day despite it remaining very cold. So I would give the aspirin a miss (and give you stomach a rest) unless you have to take it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, Sorry Foxy, just noticed your post. Great minds think alike.

And following the same principle, decent gloves.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, do I really have to?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, I think jtr has saved you the bother!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Louis, Use a boot drier, make sure that you're feet are clean and dry when you put the boots on each day, always have a clean pair of ski socks, try garlic capsules because hands and feet are warmer-honest!
If all that fails, buy a heater pack Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, it is a common misconception that aspirin thins the blood, it actually does something quite different, so as jtr has said it wouldn't work for this indication.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, I've been away for most of a month and this is the first thread I noticed.

I remembered an article from last year about heated socks. I just looked it up: it was from New Zealand and claimed the socks incorporated electrically conducting fibres which blended with wool, and were heated by a small battery. They claimed it would be in the shops next (by now this) year.
Anyone heard any more of them?
ski holidays
At the risk of opening a can of worms, a small nip from a hip flask should theoretically help with cold feet.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, and don't try alcohol as an alternative way of thinning your blood.

Feet (and hands) get cold because the body reduces blood flow to extremities because it knows that unless it does so, the cold blood returning to the core will chill your whole body. Better to lose the feeling in the extremities than get hypothermia. Thinning the blood (with alcohol or anything else) overides this defence mechanism. Probably not a big issue in most conditions in a ski resort, but if someone is suffering from cold extremities it is better to fix it from the outside than to fool the body.

[I hope that Kramer doesn't now say that is all nonsense!!]

I don't have any magical solutions as I am blessed with not suffering from the problem, but a clean pair of socks each day and dry boots must be the first things to make sure of.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-08-05 19:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Kramer, hah, just seen that you've posted while I was typing - that can of worms is duly opened!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

boredsurfin, it is a common misconception that aspirin thins the blood

Oh! b*****r so it's back to the Wharfarin again, I'll have to nick it off the rats wink
latest report
boredsurfin, warfarin doesn't thin the blood either.

Tony Lane, you're quite right about alcohol making the risk of hypothermia worse. When you're cold, your blood vessels to your peripheries close up, to preserve heat in your core. Having some alcohol overrides this response, causing the blood vessels to dilate, and increasing the circulation to the limbs. This makes them warmer, and makes them feel warmer, but at a cost to your core body temperature.

In a very mild case as described above, when the person involved is otherwise well and warm then a tot of something from a hip flask may well help with their circulation to their feet, however if they were anything other than well and warm, then it would be a dangerous thing to do, because, as you mentioned, it could precipitate hypothermia.
ski holidays
Louis, S & R sell the bootwarmers that David Goldsmith mentions,approx £100 and if I go to Canada I will probably invest in some myself. I to suffer with both cold hands and feet, and I have now got a supply of hand warmers £1.50 for a pack of 2 from ski /outdoor shops that slip into into your gloves or pockets, ideal for cold lifts. I am wondering whether the stick on heatpads for backache, if cut to size, would work for feet?
snow conditions
Buckling your boots too tight can cause cold feet and even wearing too thick socks. A lesson learned long before I started sliding on snow. If you want to go the whole hog, silk and merino dual layer socks are very thin and very warm but I'm sure there'll be yet another new product for this season.
ski holidays
Masque, I conducted an experiment and borrowed one of my friends silk inners, I didn't notice any difference between the hand that was wearing the silk and the one that wasn't, however this could have been due to the gloves fitting more tightly. One thing that definately helps me is to keep moving as much as possible, clapping hands, stamping feet etc I do wear Marino wool mix socks which are lovely.
latest report
Kramer, how about just a nice niacin?
snow conditions
WEAR A HAT . . . SERIOUSLY. IF THE BRAIN IS COLD THE BODY WILL SEND LOTS OF BLOOD THERE, AWAY FROM LESS IMPORTANT EXTEMITIES SUCH AS TE FEET.
ski holidays
BrightonSki, I wear a hat, a fleece scarf thing that can also go over your head and if it's very cold I put my hood up and gogs on to. I just have poor circulation! Sad
latest report
IncogSkiSno, do you smoke?

Try thinner socks.
latest report
How to prevent cold feet ?

Dont propose to her in the first place !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, No I don't smoke. My daughter has an even worse problem than I do, I think that she may have Reynauds Desease, which is where the blood supply to the extremeties is restricted, her fingertips turn white very quickly and she is in alot of pain. Confused
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, the bit about thin socks was unrelated to the smoking bit - it's just I see you mention wearing marino wool socks - to me these sound thick, and could be causing the problem.
snow report
I think you can get Bootgloves which act like gloves and fit over the exterior of the boot. Much cheaper alternative to heated footbeds though less effective. try the forums on Epicski Im sure I read a post there about them. And there was an article specifically about cold feet posted on the site. Something about rubbing chilli into your feet too. Shocked
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, sorry, my fault. Yes my socks are thick, I really don't like thin ones. I'm ok whilst I'm skiing, it's just the lifts and the waiting for the lift. I've solved the cold hands problem, so hopefully in time I'll have warm feet to.

Edmundh009, Chilli, that sounds interesting Shocked
ski holidays
try this link http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=28546&highlight=boot+gloves
ski holidays
Edmundh009, Thanks for the link, it seems that I should try thinner socks as Wear The Fox Hatsuggested, or go for the Hotronics if I go to Canada.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Merino wool can be spun into very fine thread and the socks made from it are very light and thin but expensive. I saw some at EB that were over £30 a pair!!! Lots of very technical bollux printed on the package about natura anti-bac this and that but we still won't guarantee that your feet won't stink anyway'
snow report
You can get therm-ic heated insoles which do the same thing in the Uk. http://www.ellis-brigham.com/thermic.htm That comes to £75 if I'm not mistaken. have had no experience with them myself though. Hottroonics is more advanced with three heat settings. May be able to get the power pack on ebay for less too
ski holidays
Masque, You've got the cure for that though, so no probs!
snow report
IncogSkiSno, no need to pay resort prices.
snow report
http://www.hotronic.com/products/footwarmers/index.htm
snow report
comprex, and I've got half a dozen 230/110v domestic transformers in storage to sell, if anyone wants to buy 110v equipment for use in the EU, PM me if you need a UL/TUV transformer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy