Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding in December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this is already somewhere on the forum, but I had a look, and couldn't find it.

Here's the situation. My partner and I are looking to go on our first snowboarding holiday. Due to other commitments, December would fit best for us. I'm aware that December isn't thought to be the ideal time to go. So firstly, am I better off putting comittments aside and going jan to march, or can I find somewhere in december that will give me just as good an experience.

I'm aware that a high resort is pretty essential here. We'd also be looking for somewhere that is good for beginners. In europe. Like most people, I would like to get more for my money as well so resorts that are relatively cheaper on costs would be prefered, but anything considered. Is there much of a difference generally in going in December to going in jan to march? will i find it more expensive, pretty much the same, or less (wishful thinking). When I say december, we are not looking at going over xmas/new year as i realise this will be super high season.

thanks

the hygiene
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Dave, welcome to SH.

You've pretty much got yourself sorted with your plan there, go high enough and you'll find something to ride on, Tignes, Les Deux Alpes are the obvious answers, though all the resorts should be open for business in December, if not completely open. If you're in a position to book late, then why not wait to see where gets the best snow conditions. Early snowfalls so far look promising, but you never know. Also, have a look at the back-door resorts to the large ski areas for bargains.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davehygiene wrote:
I'm aware that a high resort is pretty essential here... (...) ... When I say december, we are not looking at going over xmas/new year as i realise this will be super high season.

New Year is high season. Christmas isn't necessarily (depending on how it all falls, date-wise). My first ever day on snow (skiing, but that's not relevant) was on Christmas Day quite a few years back, in an Austrian resort at a mere 750 metres altitude. It was fine. Snow everywhere.

Anything with some slopes suitable for you (first timers, yeah?) above about 1800m will be pretty safe. You maybe don't really need to go as high and bleak as some of the aforementioned 3000m+ glacier areas. IMO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did val d'isere at the start of December the other year and it was exceptional. The Val/Tignes area is huge with a real variety of terrain - my memory has become somewhat fuzzy as to just how many runs there were for newcomers to the sport, but I can remember there were plenty of cruisey runs we did over the week when we wanted to chill out in between the off-piste.

We stayed in Val and the regular bus service through the resort was brilliant to get you from one end to the other if you didn't fancy having to do it via the lift system.

Snow was brilliant; Val has plenty of webcams so you can keep your eye on what's developing.

The resort itself is great; like any big resort in France you obviously pay prices that are way above anything over here for food and booze, but there are some good value places if you search them out - little baquette shops for lunch, smaller bars that do food for the evening). Nightlife is good.

We stayed with a company called YSE, which is a Brit-run company that only deals with Val. They run early-season trips that are about half the price of regular weeks because the resort isn't 'officially' open at that time. The lifts are all running (they were when we visited), the snow is generally always good and it wasn't mega-crowded, although we had a load of students from leeds and warwick universities there when we stayed, although they never surfaced until gone noon Smile In that first week of december, the TOs don't run flights so we had to arringe our own, but YSE do the pick-up from geneva. They do the return back to gatwick and (i think) manchester at a supplement. We paid about £300 for full-board in a Chalet Juniper, sharing with about 15 other people so it was really social and really good fun. The food was amazing, something YSE pride themselves on. The accommodation was basic but comfortable and well located, just three minutes buss from le Fornet.

Me and the missus are planning on going again for the same week - think prices start from about £350 plus that outbound flight, which should only be £50 or so (although I haven't checked yet). Think the lift passes are €120, which is brilliant value for 300km+ of runs.

The ski world cup is usually in town around the first week of december too - fun to watch if you fancy some time off the slope.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davehygiene, like you say the higher the better for december (and remember to add about 300m to the Austrian resorts - it's colder further east). Something that's worth a thought is tree line and sheltered skiing. Some of the high resorts (i'm thinking Val Thorens) are really high have no real shelter and no tree line skiing, if the weather closes in and starts spewing, high winds or maybe mist and fog come in you could do with a bit of shelter/tree line vis?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
UCPA mate for Xmas. Its a bargain atm at xmas week is 23/12 to 30/12. Lessons are included as is all your food, equipment and pass. All you need is a flight.

UCPA
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davehygiene, Welcome to snowHead 's.
Dec 17th to 24th most places should have snow above 1500mts. The Portes du Soleil Avoriaz/Lindarets sectors usually open the week before. We may not have much snow down in Morzine (we hope to have shedloads), but the transport will be in place to get you up to the snow each day.
You do not need a full area pass to begin with, and can easily get some tuition that week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Chevalier, its got the required Glacier and not as many people go there for some reason? its a massive area and is cheaper all round than the big resorts (Val, Tignes, Morzine, Avoriaz, Three Valleys etc), 205 euro for a full area pass (6 days). there is a smaller resort just down the way as well called Puy St Vincent which would be ace to learn in, they have loads of snow and limited accomodation so there is really few people there and only 138 euro for a weeks pass.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

UCPA mate for Xmas. Its a bargain atm at xmas week is 23/12 to 30/12. Lessons are included as is all your food, equipment and pass. All you need is a flight.

+1 Look at the Action-Outdoors website for trips from the UK to UCPA centres. Their tuition is pretty good, and you won't find cheaper. Just make sure they'll be doing beginners lessons, the week you want to go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But if you want a double room, make sure you pick the right centre. Flaine has them (and some others I think) but some centres are dorm style.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Serre Chevalier, its got the required Glacier

Eh!?

Serre Che is great, but neither high-altitude nor massively snow-sure.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matt2, The nearest glacier skiing to Serre Chavalier in December is at 2Alpes.

davehygiene, on the subject of 2Alpes, the conditions there over the first two weeks of December have been outstanding for the past three seasons. In fact those two weeks were by far the bast of the season last year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy