Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Differences between McNab and BASI

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I thought it was about time to learn how to go sideways. rolling eyes

So, I've bought McNab's Go Snowboard! book from Amazon, which looks pretty good, which I was going to complement with some lessons from BASI instructors I know.

I was wondering if anyone has any insights into whether there are any fundamental differences between McNab's approach and BASI's approach. Or is McNab a product of the BASI system who has "just" (and I say that advisedly) simplified and re-packaged...?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FlyingStantoni, I had a feeling he was\is a BASI trainer?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not a lot of difference. In fact, I'm pretty sure Neil is in quite a few of the photos in the BASI snowboard handbook. You can buy the handbook even if you don't plan on doing any BASI courses.

I had quite a long gap between my BASI 1 and 2 and I felt that in that time the language BASI were using had actually got closer to Neil's book/methods, but that may well just have been done to slight differences between the different trainers I had.

Neil is (or certainly was) a BASI trainer as AndAnotherThing.. says. Not sure he does much/any of that anymore with being a full IFMGA guide these days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know about the books but my snowboarding friends who have been on his courses in cham say he is as good as it gets as a teacher of snowboarding in the backcountry
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As far as i recall Neil helped with establishing the original BASI snowboard quals back in the mid-90s. Don't think you'll find too many major differences between his approach & current BASI thinking.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevomcd, I dug out my Snowboarding manual to see if he had any credits. I see Kerr Stewart has a few pic's, who strangely enough did as much as anyone has for my skiing Cool

FlyingStantoni, Well worth grabbing a copy if you are interested, except for all that scary freestyle gobbledygook Skullie
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks AndAnotherThing... I'm sure I can borrow a copy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndAnotherThing.., there's a big lanky guy in quite a few photos wearing full North Face kit and the kind of beanie with danglies that Neil used to wear. Pretty sure it's him.

I'm sure he'd love that description! (sorry Neil if you're reading this!) wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy