Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best catered chalet company?

Poster: A snowHead
I have used Thomson/Crystal many times taking advantage of special offers. The experience is hit & miss for the quality of the host & local management.
Inghams perhaps a little better.
I used Ski Total twice last year but they were the larger Chalet Hotels, the catering was excellent and the wine free flowing & very drinkable.
I have used Ski World chalets in Colorado and they were excellent.
However much of the enjoyment of the holiday depends on fellow guests which is a lottery unless you take a crowd.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've used Olympic several times, and they seem to have got the formula right. I've had problems on holidays with them in the past, but all sorted out in the end.

The youngest kids I've seen in their chalets are about 16, they seem to be well set up for adults but no idea how they'd cope with kids. If the kids are old enough (and mature enough) to sit at an adult dinner party environment, then I'd go with Olympic. Their ski guiding has also been very good on the trips we've used it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have taken kids with Olympic from an early age. If during school holidays, at the bigger chases there are usually plenty of kids there.
The only issue can be the occasional grumpy ski host wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I worked the last 2 seasons as a chalet host. Now i look forward to actually going on a chalet holiday.... I would say from working that its not necessarily the company but the host that makes a good week.... Especially at the beginning of the season...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a look at Skivo2 website. Catered chalets, Courchevel, with free instruction from highest BASI qualified instructors. They say 95% of customers are returners or recommendations. Since 1987. No pretentions, down to earth, and Scottish , so you will understand most of the instruction Toofy Grin . I love 'em.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
We have taken kids with Olympic from an early age. If during school holidays, at the bigger chases there are usually plenty of kids there.

Have we met!? Toofy Grin

I worked for Olympic for three years in Tignes and found our customers to be among the best to have in the industry and regularly meet them in resorts and airports to this day, children are most welcome and although not as prevalent as adults, certainly feature heavily in the chalets during the school holidays. I have nothing but praise for the Olympic guys and girls from the owners and mangers through to the chaps running the hotels who I feel provide a very good service overall, the return rate of customers and the high questionnaire results seem to indicate that they are doing something right!

Otherwise I know Skiworld and Nielson in the Tarentaise are good operators but couldn't give you personal experience of the service - just the quality and happiiess of the workers, which I feel should be an indication of the service you could expect.

Let us know who you go for!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
northernsoulboy, You could look at MoreAlps, www.morealps.com or A mountain Chalet www.amountainchalet.com both in La Rosiere, both owner run operations and they learnt their trade with Saki Olympic who also have a number of chalets in La Rosiere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ivor Shed, welcome back David Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Let the sport commence snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
northernsoulboy, Have a look at www.mountainheaven.co.uk offering probably THE best selection of catered chalets in La Rosiere Very Happy
http://www.mountainheaven.co.uk/search.aspx?category=catered&country=france&resort=la+rosi%c3%a8re
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Let the sport commence snowHead

Popcorn ordered..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Look at this : Great with kids and superb english instruction and whole experience is fantastic !
www.connickski.com
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Just found this thread, In my experience the worst kids to deal with are the ones over 40 Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
northernsoulboy, Have a look at www.mountainheaven.co.uk offering probably THE best selection of catered chalets in La Rosiere Very Happy
http://www.mountainheaven.co.uk/search.aspx?category=catered&country=france&resort=la+rosi%c3%a8re

And some damn fine Hosting/Driving this season. Smile
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:

Hope their hosts aren't as grumpy as Olympic's Wink
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

Hope their hosts aren't as grumpy as Olympic's Wink

Not that I think this was a specific reference to me when I hosted for Olympic, but I would like to stand up for hosts all over by saying guests can be quick to confuse "Grumpy" for what is really "Hugely intolerant of the bore you've been landed with for the week!" or merely "Massively hungover and wishing you were in your nice warm third of the bed you share with the chef and the plongeur"
latest report
Kaiser, worry not, the digs are friendly and aimed at the short Vader above who was an Olympic host last season.
latest report
Kaiser, worry not, the digs are friendly and aimed at the short Vader above who was an Olympic host last season.

Ahhrrr now I understand, the uncorrected version was not Inglis. Wink

Kaiser, we all get tared with the same brush see the Seasonaire blog thread. Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 19-11-11 14:44; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, fat fingers, phone and bad eyes Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

Massively hungover and wishing you were in your nice warm third of the bed you share with the chef and the plongeur

Laughing

An Olympic ski host once introduced an after-dinner entertainment in Chalet Mamiray, which consisted of getting from on top of the dining table, underneath it and back on top, without touching the floor. My 16 year old son couldn't resist the challenge, but unfortunately had been equally unable to resist the "free unlimited wine" with dinner, and having chosen to sit next to an exceptionally pretty fellow guest, rather than his Mummy, had imbibed a good deal, without my noticing. He succeeded in the challenge (he's an athletic sort of boy......) but shortly afterwards discovered the unwisdom of hanging upside down under a table after a skinful of plonk.

The subsequent projectile vomiting of red wine tested the tolerance of our fantastic chalet hosts and fellow guests to the utmost. They all passed with flying colours but the lad couldn't look a glass of red wine in the face for many, many, years. He now appears to have put the ghosts to rest, however.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Massively hungover and wishing you were in your nice warm third of the bed you share with the chef and the plongeur

Laughing

An Olympic ski host once introduced an after-dinner entertainment in Chalet Mamiray, which consisted of getting from on top of the dining table, underneath it and back on top, without touching the floor. My 16 year old son couldn't resist the challenge, but unfortunately had been equally unable to resist the "free unlimited wine" with dinner, and having chosen to sit next to an exceptionally pretty fellow guest, rather than his Mummy, had imbibed a good deal, without my noticing. He succeeded in the challenge (he's an athletic sort of boy......) but shortly afterwards discovered the unwisdom of hanging upside down under a table after a skinful of plonk.

The subsequent projectile vomiting of red wine tested the tolerance of our fantastic chalet hosts and fellow guests to the utmost. They all passed with flying colours but the lad couldn't look a glass of red wine in the face for many, many, years. He now appears to have put the ghosts to rest, however.
Pam W - you just made my wife's day - its normally her doing that sort of thing!!!! VERY funny! Laughing Laughing
snow report
pam w, Hold on to that memory, Ski Olympic have dropped the Mamiray this season.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, the chalet was essentially unsuitable - the kitchen just had (or did when we went there) ordinary domestic equipment, and the electricity supply was not highly enough rated. The couple who were running the chalet the first time we went there were very experienced - he was a proper cook - but even for them it wasn't easy. That night, the electricity had tripped off constantly, and one of the guests would run down to the box where it was switched back on. Consequently the chickens took too long to cook - as the chalet host discovered when we were eating our starter. We assured him we had no problem waiting for the main course, but because my OH is a diabetic and had had his insulin I had to keep an eye on his blood sugar levels - and both the delay and the distraction contributed to the amount Nick got away with drinking.

In fact, I did notice eventually, and sent a warning down the table, and he just looked up at me, grinned, lifted his glass in tribute and said gleefully "But it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!"

An expression which has been a family catch-phrase ever since.

We went back to the Mamiray for a second holiday a year or so later - and the chalet host's wife, the following season, had just had her wrist broken when a child knocked her over in a lift queue. So we made our own beds each day and she gave us all a sweetie!

It was a nice little chalet, and very cheap, especially travelling as we did by coach. But I guess people demand much more in the way of "facilities" nowadays and those simply little homey chalets are not what most punters are after. I'd 1000 times prefer to stay in the Mamiray than in some big glitzy hotel with loads of guests, shiny bathrooms and posh bars.

The ski bus stop was right outside, IIRC. I did miss a bus and walk back in my ski boots one evening rather than wait for the next. My feet were sore in my boots so I did the last mile in my ski socks with the boots round my neck. Happy days.
latest report
We went with Ski Olympic last season and the one before - La Rosiere and La Plagne. Hard to fault - the staff are really very good. Yet to book this year (going in mid-March and hoping for a bit of a deal) but Ski Olympic are first on the list.
latest report
I don't think I've seen any negative posts on SHs about ski Olympic. Wehad two holidays with them, and only used one of their places - and it was fairly basic, but v good value and the staff in the UK and in France, all excellent.

There's no such thing as "the best" chalet company, obviously, as people look for different things. In terms of quality of chalets and food, nothing costing under a couple of thousand pounds a head, accommodation only, is going to be anywhere near "the best".

But "best value for money?" or "good quality without spending a fortune?" those are different questions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy