Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mobile App of Whistler in 3D

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Everyone,

To match an iPhone App we released earlier this year, we are announcing an Android version of our 3D Trail Map for Whistler (and Cypress) Mountain.

Basically, we have made a 3D Trail Map of Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. It uses the Google Earth Plugin for web browsers. Now it is available for your phones so you can use the GPS to see your location while skiing. Check out the links if interested.

Thanks!

3D Trail Map of Whistler

iPhone App

Android App

Unfortunately we are running late with an upgrade to the webpage, it is coming soon. Keep an eye out for it Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-11-11 21:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yep as with the other post re ski apps just a skinned version of info already out there. bored now...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1, I think my maps are quite individual. Can you please tell me where else you can find this kind of information?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wbsr, may be wrong but on first glance looks like a re skinned gps track on google earth? or am i really missing something?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can boil it down to that. Can you show me where you found this 'info already out there'? Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
well 2 seconds and 1 search on google finds this. http://www.mountaindynamics.com/en/NA-Whistler-Blackcomb.html

agreed what you have done is a more consolidated set of info but really dont see the selling point as it stands.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not even including my web-page version of the map - I don't think that really compares - using Google Maps vs Google Earth is different. Also costs quite a lot more. Thanks for the link, but yes I was aware of it already.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
but cant we take any gps track and plug it into google earth? so if someone records a track down any hill and post the gps track we can see the run in 3d in google earth/maps or anything else that can plot the run.

eg i have satski so if i had time i could do every run in a resort and then post the tracks as an online guide to that resort. not trying to be negative and while i like some of the stuff you've done just dont see it being a game changer.

happy to help with stuff if you need ideas how to make it reallt useful, or you need somene to ski all european resorts for you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As an update I've cleared it with the boss and SWMBO, I can definitely take 3 months off for a fully expensed skiing trip around the european resorts. We can talk about remuneration and expenses nearer the time but I can confirm I am happy for the contract to state that I will ski from first lift to last lift every day and will stop at least once in every bar/restaurant at each resort. I'll even include reviews of the local nightclubs and bars at no extra cost. However as you probably know it is always advisable to ski with at least one other person so I'd suggest you budget for 2 people when working things out. I am sure there is at least one other person on this forum who would be up for the job. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for your offer, but I believe your help would not be productive. You obviously do not understand the work involved.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and perhaps you do not understand the market you are trying to pitch to. as a general rule we are very savvy customers so the product has to provide something. i am happy to help develop the product (serious offer) but you need to explain what the target is a bit clearer first.

so what is the product for?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be aware that Google are soon to charge for mapping:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15523050
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually, I don't mind this as a concept. So what if it's re-skinned information? Those Google kids are doing pretty well off other people's information.

wbsr, the "killer" for the people on this forum is the app would be useless for us as 3G data roaming costs are prohibitively expensive. If you skied with this and checked it even occasionally during the day then someone from the UK would end up with data charges that cost more than a Whistler lift ticket...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, indeed the 3g is the killer for this App.

I have an App called iTrailmap 3D which you download the map and 3D image at home. Maps are available for all (most?) of the major resorts, for which you get a 'paper view' or 2D piste map, and a full 3D model of the mountain terrain onto which the lift lines but not the runs have been superimposed. GPS location and tracking are available in the 3d mode.

I do find some of the paper view maps pixelate badly when you zoom in, nearly to the point of run names or numbers being unreadable. If this was fixed and the runs mapped onto the 3D model it would be a total winner.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni, neither do have a problem per se with reskinned info, but i still dont see the point of it as it stand. if i want a 3d view of the piste where i am standing then i can just put the phone away a look around. i have never felt the need to have a flyby of a particular piste before a run, maybe wold be more useful for the off piste stuff though.

if it had "find my friend" functionality then i can see some uses but as mentiond roaming chargese are currently prohibitive for most.

happy to have my mind changed about how this could actually be used in the real world as it currently stands.
latest report
I agree that data usage is a big issue.

If you load the map in our app while on a WiFi connection (there is free WiFi in the restaurants on the mountains) - and preferably you zoom in on the terrain you intend to ski to make sure you cache the imagery - then when you are outside (on 3G) you load the 'Google Earth App' and not ours, you will find our map is still there - according to our studies (admittedly small group) the data download is almost zero.
If people spend time using our free webpage to learn the mountains, then time actually using the app will be quite short.

You only start to download data if you try to explore terrain you have not already cached.

Which reminds me to mention you can change the cache size in the settings of the Google Earth App.

ansta1, by using our webpage and app, it is easy for someone to learn the layout of the mountains, and be able to work out and understand their location while on the mountains - something quite difficult to do with current paper maps, and the apps we have tried (including the 2 you mention) do not make much of an improvement - we believe ours does - we are naturally bias

altis, we do not use any Google API - therefore are exempt from fees
ski holidays
wbsr, okay cool your making progress by telling us what you think the app will do for us, thats good and better than, "here this will fix your problems" type statement without understanding or explaining what our problem is. honestly, i have never had a problem with a 2d piste map but can, initially at least see some limited benefit.

i will have a play with it with wifi/gprs enabled and then disabeld and see how it works for me and what i think.

it looks good and slick but right now i cant see where i would use it for the skiing i do if i am honest, but hey i am just one person in a world of 7 billion so dont be disheartened.
snow conditions
ansta1, Have you ever skied Whistler? I have lived here for a while and have stopped to help a LOT of lost people. Quite often they have no idea of where they are, or even if they are on Whistler or Blackcomb mountains. Those that do have a rough idea of their location have a lot of trouble understanding the paper map (including working out where they are on it)

This 'project' started about 3 years ago to help people and has taken so much of our time that we have decided to charge for the app rather than give it away ($1 is basically free anyway) the web page is still free and is a great learning tool.

If you have been to Whistler, you would have seen it is hard to show over 8000 acres of skiable terrain on a piece of paper - sure smaller resorts are a lot easy to show, and a lot easier for people to comprehend where they are.

Plus, and you might laugh, be we are also sick of seeing so much paper wastage. We would like people to use their phones instead of picking up a piece of paper they can't understand ( so therefore they end up throwing it away, or having it blown out of their hands etc ) polluting my beautiful home!
ski holidays
wbsr, yep skied whislter a few times and honestly never had an issue with piste maps. I am guessing that response may get a few other responses from european skiers who quite happily ski big areas such as the milky way, superski dolomiti, 3 valleys and other resorts with a paper map with no issues at all.

Now european resorts do in my view tend to be easier to navigate as
a. there are a lot more mountain restaurants/bars to navigate by.
b. we ski them a lot.
c. european resorts, in my view, are easier to navigate as runs of specific gradients tend to run into each other from top to bottom, whereas the us/canadian resorts seem to have mixed runs down the mountain. (vail and beaver are good examples of this)

honestly i am not gong out of my way to be negative here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy