Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburg Skiing in the Elderly study

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't recall anyone posting on this before. But here's a link to an abstract I found on the interweb. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01341.x/abstract

Basically people between 60-75 of both sexes were asked to ski for 2-3 days per week for 12 weeks. Cardiovascular risk was assessed beforehand. No-one had a CV event,(total of 795 hours of skiing) and exercise capacity was increased, and body fat mass decreased.

So, if I hear anyone saying they are giving up because they are too old.............. woe betide them !! wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another link to a press report.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/11/study-alpine-skiing-will-keep-you-young/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they do another study I'd be happy to be a guinea pig, assuming they pay expenses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, it's not the skiing that kills you it is stopping for all the hot chocolates with rum and half a ton of whipped cream! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some little unheard of ski village features the story as well Toofy Grin
http://www.serrechevalier.org/serre-chevalier/cheat-death-by-skiing-more/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In summarise. A group of elderly people who excercised for 3 1/2 hours a day 2 to 3 times a week for 12 weeks got fitter than those who did not.

I know it is obvious but it is nice to see someone prove it. The paper did not say wehter they enjoyed the excercise or continued after the programme finished or followed them up afterwards. There were one or two things that I am suprised the reviewers let slip through for example: that because most cardiac incidents occur in the first few days of a skiing trip the participants should start slowly; as if 2 days of excercise can improve your fitness level. Surely it is only delaying the inevitable.

There are some gems of knowledge in the paper "Burtscher (2007) report an annual death rate of 0.76 per 100 000 persons in alpine skiers in the Austrian Alps (up to approximately 3800m above sea level). About 25% of all deaths were attributed to the cardiac system." From this I gather that carrying asprin is an important life saver when skiing

John
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, he's always stealing my stuff !!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does this mean when I reach pension age I'll be able to get a skiing holiday on the NHS? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was a couple of quite elderly Austrian ladies, skiing in their Sunday best coats and nice hats, who inspired me, many years ago, to vow to keep skiing till at least 80.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
Boredsurfing, he's always stealing my stuff !!

and I stole the link from Lizzard Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy