Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pregnancy and insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Daughter is pregnant, and is wanting to attempt a little gentle skiing. She is a very good skier, and is unlikely to fall over.
Her pregnancy is termed a pre existing condition, so any medical attention needed through the holiday to do with her bump would not be covered by her insurance. Ski injuries would.
Does this mean that all pregnant ladies travel without any insurance if there is a problem with the baby, regardless of whether skiing is involved? Would her european health card cover that side of things?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a vague memory that it depends on at what stage of pregnancy she is at.

I think it was 21 weeks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
margaret, its really worth checking with your insurance company, if you you do not declare a pre exsisiting condition its not just the condition which is not covered it can be everything.

I paid for specific insurance last season as my OH has had a transplant, it was the only way to cover her for skiing, not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EHIC card should still be valid, but be aware that this will only cover around 70% of the cost of treatment in France.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pregnancy isn't treated as a pre-existing condition, under the caveat that there is no medical issues arising from the pregnancy, and you're inside the period before you'd need a doctors note to fly. Missus ski'd with both of ours with no ill effects (although she doesn't recommend off-road mountain biking or trying to ski with morning sickness).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When i found out I was Pregnant i was told by the GP you arent supposed to ski, after that I wasnt prepared to risk it. Another warning is depending how far through your body starts producing a chemical called Relaxin this makes you joints looser. Might be worth researching how quickly that is generated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Other half's first ski trip when pregnant was before we knew. She took some MASSIVE falls whilst learning to snowboard.

Then we found out she was up the spout, and the midwife told us not to go on our other 2 planned trips, which were 1 month later and 2 months later.

We ignored her obviously.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ wrote:
When i found out I was Pregnant i was told by the GP you arent supposed to ski

Most medics who ski are happy for pregnant women to ski.
Most medics who don't ski tell pregnant women they must not.

Our two boys are good skiers are because they started in the womb.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
margaret, Cant say about the skiing side of things but pregnancy wasnt looked at as a medical condition by the company I worked for so as long as you didnt go close to your due date or against doctors advice you were covered. Your daughter should speak to her doctor to see what their advice is and her travel insurance company as they may look at it differently especially for skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
See, the human body, remarkable thing honed over thousands of generations who had to run, jump, climb and avoid tigers while pregnant. Going for a bit of a slide about is a mere bagatelle after that... Maybe take it a bit easier, lay off the couloire assaults until next season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

wanting to attempt a little gentle skiing. She is a very good skier, and is unlikely to fall over.

My wifes ski accidents have both been whilst standing still, one in the car park and a young lad skied into her knocking her over and breaking her left wrist, the second accident was standing by the side of a piste when an out of control snowboarder wiped her out, result broken right wrist!
No matter how good a skier you are ...it's the other idiots!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, but accidents could happen here just as easily. Of a different type of course.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say shop around - I seem to remember that medical problems of pregnancy were covered under our policy, back in the day, but not routine deliveries etc.

My daughter was heavily pregnant the winter before last, during that very icy spell, and had two horrendous falls on icy pavements in Hampshire. A nasty shock, but no worse. Babies are jolly well protected in there.

"Pre-existing conditions" often are covered - they just need to be declared and cleared.

Google "travel insurance for pregnant women".... loads of options.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My wife skied 7 weeks pregnant and fell over far more than usual, through trying so hard to be careful, I think.... No harm done,
He's now two - and is guarenteed to fall asleep in a gondola... Must feel very comfortable up there or something.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As long as you wear a helmet you'll be fine...sorry, I'll get my coat! Embarassed
snow report
Quote:
Her pregnancy is termed a pre existing condition

Are you sure about that. Pregnancy is just pregnancy, it's not a condition it's just a natural part of life.
My missus skiid with both our kids with no problems. In fact the only problem is that my elder son has done the Grand Couloir in Courchevel and I haven't Smile
Right enough she avoided most of the off piste with the second one, but on piste was fine.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, you forgot to mention my embarrassing top of high chair lift fainting and the blood wagon call out! Seriously margaret, you will find a lot of divisive opinions on this, I'd say to your daughter to try if she feels comfortable, physically and emotionally. I personally found a few half day summer glacier skiing a lot more pleasant with #1 son at 20 weeks than busier winter all day skiing with #2 son at 9 weeks!
snow conditions
Quote:

you will find a lot of divisive opinions on this,

But the OP only asked about insurance - which should certainly be possible. google....
snow report
pam w, Good point Very Happy

Although this seems a remarkably sensible piece of advice Smile
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/pregnancyandchildbirth/205635.html

But pam w, is right,
this is not about can you ski pregnant, or should you ski pregnant.

Its a simple question can you get insurance companies to cover you for it?

I think you can up to the 21 weeks possibly longer but you would have to ask, to go on your existing policy and not inform them,
would almost certianaly mean they would not pay up.
latest report
thank you everyone for your comments.
Daughter is going to be a fair weather skier i.e. ski with me if there is any snow, and hill walk if there is none!! (Probably the more strenuous option!) She is adament that if the insurance covers her, why should she not do it. It is not an illness, she is a fit young lady and is determined to work up till the birth. She may need a bigger pair of sallopettes though... Very Happy
ski holidays
I went skiing when I was 5 months pregnant with my Daughter and just over 12 weeks with my Son. Doctor / midwifes gave ok for both times.
I did however only ski twice when 5 months pregnant, as I found it too trying even just walking in ski boots with the extra weight.
I didn't enjoy it either with the fear of falling over or someone knocking my over.
Still has a great holiday eventhough I didn't do much skiing.

Skiing when 12 weeks pregnant, I just kept to gentle and quiet slopes and had great time.

On the matter of getting a bigger pair of sallopettes, its worth getting hold of a pair of braces.
Even if the sallopettes fit when you get them, they may not at the end of the hoilday. The braces will keep them up eve if the buttons and zip are not done up.

Skisuit
snow report
Don't forget the slight issue of swollen feet Sad

Our daughter has been skiing in Feb before her 9th July delivery, if you see what i mean. Those lovely snug ski boots for normal use didn't fit so well 4 months in.
snow conditions
We have an enormous pair of salopettes - I bought them at a knock-down price in a Marks and Spencer outlet store, several years ago. They are a size 14 but a joke, really. More like an 18. My daughter (7 months pregnant at the time) and daughter in law (6 months) both wore them with room to spare. They were both pretty big at the time. they weren't skiing, but using them to keep warm walking around the resort.

I'd be happen to lend them to you, margaret (or any other pregnant Snowheads!) though they are in France, where I won't be until shortly before Christmas! They're dark navy blue.
snow report
pam w
thanks for the offer, but we are going on holiday on the 17th December. I won't say skiing, don't like to tempt fate Very Happy Maybe a waliking holiday will close the discussion....
ski holidays
margaret, I do hope you get some snow - more than 2 weeks yet.... fingers crossed. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy