Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend Trip - near Innsbruck

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

can anyone give me any advice on resorts within an hour or so of Inssbruck suitable for 6 mid fortyish males with a range of sking abilities from "not bad" through to "fairly hopeless" and a range of Apres / Drinking capability from "2am stagger home" through to "10.30pm fall asleep in his beer"
so needs to be somewhere with a good range of ski-ing, reliable snow, decent nightlife and most importantly, hotels that will put us up for 3 nights in the second week of January.
current thinking includes Solden, Mayrhofen and Kirchberg but open to any suggestions

Thanks so much

dave

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-11-11 12:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dave_lob, You could base yourself in Innsbruck itself if you wanted to - plenty of nearby skiing and the Innsbruck Tourist Office do packages eg this

Alternatively as you say Mayrhofen (or anywhere in the Ziller valley eg Hochzillertal) would be good.

As for Soldeu, seeing as that's in Andorra it might not be so convenient from Innsbruck! Toofy Grin . Possibly you meant Solden wink , I believe it was well liked by another Snowhead whose trip report is here. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks ! - and oops yes, I did mean Solden!! Confused
Dont really fancy Innsbruck since we are only going for 3 days and dont want to have to transfer to resort each day
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can get a hotel/gasthof to take you for 3 nights then Ischgl or St Anton should be on the list. Ischgl's skiing on piste is easier than that of St Anton's, but I prefer the apres in St Anton to Ischgl. Think the Hotel Montana in St Anton does min stay of 2 nights???? http://www.hotelmontana.at/en/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dave_lob Another vote for Mayrhofen! Mind Solden and St Anton would also fit the bill - especially on the apres ski front.

Re. digs:
- Austria is generally the most geared up country in the world for short stays - no faffing on with whole weeks like in France etc.
- January is low season so there will be lots of availability.

Booking.com and Hotels.com both have assorted Mayrhofen (and vicinity) accommodation on their sites. Alternatively, even with 6 of you, you could probably turn up and find somewhere you like the look of just by knocking on doors.

I haven't looked, but I'm also fairly sure that there will be a search facility on the Mayrhofen website.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, dave_lob, For accommodation in Mayrhofen (and the rest of Zillertal) try looking on www.zillertal.at
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've often tried to get a long weekend in Ischgl but without success. Hoteliers want a week. We ended up driving to Saalbach from Innsbruck airport last year. Really great but a bit further than one hour - more like 2, and I got done for speeding Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl, St Anton or Mayrhofen. Could be worth emailing the tourist office for guesthouses and pensions, which may be better geared for short stays. You could also look into staying in Innsbruck, there's lots of places roundabout to ski - Fulpmes, Igls, Axamer Lizum, Stubai Glacier, etc - all an easy bus ride from the city. A day skiing in St Anton is also very doable, the trains are pretty good. This would give you the best nightlife, although you might not get the same apres experience.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about Obergurgl? just up the road from Solden think it has all you need for a couple of days.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Howdy

Another vote for Obergurgl, but have you thought about Soll and the Skiwelt? About an hour from Innsbruck with 270km of piste and something for most skiers / boarders although not ideal for beginners (although that's where I learnt Shocked ).

Hexenalm, Salvenstadl, Whiskey Muhle and Rossini's are great bars, with Hexenalm being the best for traditional um pah pah apres. Some new ones have opened although we didn't frequent them so can't comment Happy

Hotel wise, there are loads to choose from, but the one we've used the last couple of years is the Garni Tenne (http://www.garnitenne.at/). Is decent and cheapish 3*** in the middle of the village, but still fairly quiet. Have also also stayed at the Postwirt, which is good 4**** across the street and the Modlinger and Tyrol, both of which were good, but right at the top end of the village opposite to the lifts, so you have a 15-20 min or ski bus to and from.

I preferred to walk as it tended to clear any remaining head fuzziness left over from the previous night Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy